• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden Season 10 Official Thread: I want you back for good!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Shawn: I am off Wednesday afternoon, and Thursday-Monday. So anytime in that area would be good. Preferably not tonight, I want to watch Yanks and Sawx action. Let me know what your schedule is.

And no, I don't think you are average and I think you can mop the floor with me. I haven't even gotten to play a pre-season game. So rusty. :/ As you may have guessed, not really to excited to play this one.

Rorschach

Matrix said:
Malley,I can play tonight starting at 11:30 pm eastern time and anytime after.

Let me know in here if you can play then or after that.

If you can,meet me in east lobby 2.I'll challenge cause I'm home.

23...23!? Schaub will prove you wrong! :D

http://www.leaguedaddy.com/leagues/rankings/?lid=1307

Does Shaub have the dragon within? F it i’m goin’ deep!

:lol

Oakland Raiders - - A good player stuck with a poor team. You truly are the Archie Manning of GAF my friend.

:( Archie Manning... :'(

I bet I have a better carreer win percentage at least. :[

Seattle Seahawks - - Rors rated above you. Use it as motivation!
:D :D

Wellington said:
Shawn: I am off Wednesday afternoon, and Thursday-Monday. So anytime in that area would be good. Preferably not tonight, I want to watch Yanks and Sawx action. Let me know what your schedule is.

And no, I don't think you are average and I think you can mop the floor with me. I haven't even gotten to play a pre-season game. So rusty. :/ As you may have guessed, not really to excited to play this one.
Yup, it's Madden league time again.... :p

Rorschach

Wellington said:
Are we playing with injuries on or off? I vote off, player injured every series.
* Injuries will stay on. "Wah wah wah but why!" because injuries are part of the game. If some dude runs with his QB 5 times and his QB gets hurt, then he got what he deserved. Next thing you will say "but i don't want fatigue on! i want all my players in at all times!" If you suffer an injury deal with it!

Welly said:

Assuming you are East Coast with me being on the West, Wednesday afternoon is not going to be good for me as I'll be at work. So it looks like Thursday evening is going to tentatively be the date. As a general rule of thumb, I am available most evenings starting at 7 PM PST..

I'm a bit rusty too as I havent played Madden in a few days. I'll be sure to log in at least 5-7 games vs human opponents before we play so I can get back into the swing of things. Madden is like playing an instrument to me, taking a few days off takes away that cerebral and visceral feel that I like to compete with. Looking forward to our game!!

DCX

DCX
Well game one in the Browns experiment is in the books...the results? Utter shit! Oline=failed, Frye=garbage, Jamal=felon, Braylon is busy watching Troy's hair and Winslow is to scared to catch balls because he keeps having motorcycle crash visions. Quinn waits....

DCX

GUYS! IMPORTANT!

please take note of who is home and away. it is scheduled properly. if you are the home team, you challenge the other guy. if he is the home team, he challenges you.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Ok, I haven't looked at the ratings yet. But I'm gonna guess I'm sitting right at the bottom. :)

FMT said:
My friends call me Elephant J, because I never forget. You know what I’m talking about Truelize... you know!

Cause I took you out behind the shed and gave you a spanking? Oh that was nice. The happiness that brought me stayed with me for several days. I told people I work with about that win. :D Too bad it might be the only win I have all year.

And you used my "Noodle Arm" joke with a different QB!!!! Thief. My jokes stay my jokes.

The only "Noodle Arm" in this league is Joey Harrington!

Believe it!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
MATRIX whats up playboy.. we can go tonight... also Injuries off only because there is nothing like a dumb injury that wastes one of my timeouts , hell two of my timeouts early in the 3rd quarter for no reason...

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Malley,I can play in 10 mins....11:30

Meet me in East Lobby 2,ill challenge you since im home.

LiveWire

OK, before I begin, let me say this: Sable, you playcalled well and earned those 17 points with smart plays. The problem I have with this game is the clock milking that you did for almost the entire game (particularly in your last possession which took from ~45 seconds left in the 3rd to the 2 minute warning in a drive that started on your own 46 and featured at least 3 of your first downs in the entire game).

Here's the tale of the tape:

LiveWire:

7 minutes of possession
22 total offensive plays (4 of those were pass attempts in a last ditch effort down 17-0 with under 2 minutes remaining)
14 rushes with Ronnie Brown
2 of 8 pass attempts--1 INT which was the last pass of game in 4th Quarter
4 pass attempts and 18 total offensive plays in first 3 quarters (15:00 of madden clock)
4 1st downs, 1 for 6 on 3rd down

sableholic:

13 minutes of possession
21 total offensive plays with starting field positions of ~40 yard line or better
2 for 4 pass attempts
17 rush attempts
8 1st downs, 3 for 6 on 3rd down

Case in point:

You had 19 offensive plays that would result in the clock continuing to run. You did not return any punts and only 1 kick return of 22 yards. 13 minutes of possession, is roughly 41 seconds of clock run off per play.

I can understand trying to run down a clock when it's like 3 minutes left in the 4th and you're up by a TD. But running down the clock at 3:30 in the 2nd quarter and late in the 3rd quarter is ridiculous. I'd say increasing the quarter length to 6 minutes instead of 5 would help, but I assume that it would just be 1 extra minute to milk!

I'm not asking for a replay or anything and like I said, the actual playcalling was completely fair (and well done!). But taking that much time is unsportsmanlike (you also did it in our match to decide who plays the Redskins but I didn't bother to bring it up figuring it was an anomaly).

I'd welcome feedback on the issue from you and the rest of the league. It's no fun to lose, but shit happens, so them's the breaks. But when you don't get an opportunity to even play because someone is sitting on the play screen or at the snap, you wonder why you're even bothering to play.

Just got through playing Wellington, and I was surprised by his blant use of bullshit to get an advantage...

This guy wins 37-0 all of which was scored defensively. How you wonder?!? Glad you asked...

He used Strahan every play defensively to exploit line play where he litterally just ran around my right guard every play to artifically create instant pressure, sack my QB on passing downs, P.A. pass, and even on runs. It was almost like manually rushing a linebacker off on the side every play...

The constant pressure along with the ball hawking CBs combined to give him 4 picks along with 5 sacks for 4 defensive TDs and a safety. I was litterally shocked he continued to use Strahan off the edge all game until I sent him a message in live calling him on it

That was 100% bullshit Wellington, and you and I know it....

Andokuky

Banned
Wow this league is off to a great start :lol

If someone is using an end and can consistently beat the AI around the end then controlling that end should be just as illegal as manually blitzing with a defensive player.

On the clock milking, wow that is ridiculous. 1 less play ran than you and like double the possession time? Wtf?

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
back to back posts complaining of cheese.

the league has officially started friends!
First games of the season, too. Wow.

I didn't see the game, so I won't comment, but Wellington is a beast with Strahan. Has been for a while now...and yeah, it's a bit stifling, but he's never done anything in our games that would be considered cheesing.

Popcorn, anyone?

Striker

I lost 13-10 to FMT -- tried winning with less than 30 secs. left than going into OT! :(

I got better passing the ball, unless FMT's DB's suck! :p

Just kidding. I RARELY passed near Clements. :lol

Rorschach

Striker said:
I lost 13-10 to FMT -- tried winning with less than 30 secs. left than going into OT! :(

I got better passing the ball, unless FMT's DB's suck! :p

Just kidding. I RARELY passed near Clements. :lol
No cheese story? :\

well, on a non-cheese related note, had a great game against striker. well, my offense wasn't great. although i had no turnovers i couldn't get anything going. gore had 9 rushes 19 yards :lol

but alex came through! got a long TD on what looked like busted covg and rode it to victory. i could not really stop the cards offense. if i played the pass he ran, if i played the run he passed, if i played the pass and he passed he still got me. tough receivers to go against, kept safety help all game almost.

anyhow i had a 3 point lead with 2 mins left. striker drove all the way down inside my 10. on 1st and 10 he threw a slant near the endzone... that was picked! thanks brandon moore!

i really had no business winning that game if you look at the stats. he outrushed me, outpassed me, had more first downs, more 3rd down conversions, the works... but he also had 2 more turnovers! gg tho

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I really didn't understand when you sent the message, and I don't understand now. I'm not interested in getting into "drama" in this league so I will keep it brief:

Exhibit A

Strahan with 1 sack, which was a PA handoff and a rollout to my side. 2 tackles for a losses which I believe were on the same offensive play, a toss to the strong side with linemen pulling, so I essentially went unblocked in for a tackle due to the design of the play. Those stats aren't uncommon.

2) You kept rolling out to both sides. When you came my way, I pursued, the other way Osi pursued, and he is a faster DE. When you sent the message, I stopped playing DE just to humor you, and you began rolling out and scrambling. Further, at least two of those picks came after you rolled out and had time to make a good read and a good throw. It's not my fault the guys are making the plays.

3) Also, the Cowboys right tackle is the lowest rated player on that OLine. I blitzed almost all game on the right side of your line.

4) I am manually controlling a future hall of famer.

Though I really have not had any problems with any other player, I will be willing to make a change for the league's sake. I will switch to DT for the time being. However, if players want to try and take advantage by scrambling out right or left I will have to go DE and play contain.

Let's not forget that the DEs on my team are a year removed from the pro-bowl, and both have superstar icons. What is going to happen is that I won't manually control Strahan but there will be as many if not more sacks and pressure, so then what do you want me to do? Bench my two starting ends?

Edit - Goddamn Osi was a beast in that game.

LiveWire said:
OK, before I begin, let me say this: Sable, you playcalled well and earned those 17 points with smart plays. The problem I have with this game is the clock milking that you did for almost the entire game (particularly in your last possession which took from ~45 seconds left in the 3rd to the 2 minute warning in a drive that started on your own 46 and featured at least 3 of your first downs in the entire game).

Here's the tale of the tape:

LiveWire:

7 minutes of possession
22 total offensive plays (4 of those were pass attempts in a last ditch effort down 17-0 with under 2 minutes remaining)
14 rushes with Ronnie Brown
2 of 8 pass attempts--1 INT which was the last pass of game in 4th Quarter
4 pass attempts and 18 total offensive plays in first 3 quarters (15:00 of madden clock)
4 1st downs, 1 for 6 on 3rd down

sableholic:

13 minutes of possession
21 total offensive plays with starting field positions of ~40 yard line or better
2 for 4 pass attempts
17 rush attempts
8 1st downs, 3 for 6 on 3rd down

Case in point:

You had 19 offensive plays that would result in the clock continuing to run. You did not return any punts and only 1 kick return of 22 yards. 13 minutes of possession, is roughly 41 seconds of clock run off per play.

I can understand trying to run down a clock when it's like 3 minutes left in the 4th and you're up by a TD. But running down the clock at 3:30 in the 2nd quarter and late in the 3rd quarter is ridiculous. I'd say increasing the quarter length to 6 minutes instead of 5 would help, but I assume that it would just be 1 extra minute to milk!

I'm not asking for a replay or anything and like I said, the actual playcalling was completely fair (and well done!). But taking that much time is unsportsmanlike (you also did it in our match to decide who plays the Redskins but I didn't bother to bring it up figuring it was an anomaly).

I'd welcome feedback on the issue from you and the rest of the league. It's no fun to lose, but shit happens, so them's the breaks. But when you don't get an opportunity to even play because someone is sitting on the play screen or at the snap, you wonder why you're even bothering to play.

I didn't write down the time clock #'s so I'll just believe you when you say that. But I did not let the clock below 10 seconds on any play outside of the fourth quarter. Nor did I run down the clock in the 2nd quarter or the 3rd. Going only by recollection I got most of my plays off and snapped with 15-20 seconds left on the clock. I had the ball almost the whole fourth quarter. Thats five minutes right there. Most of which came from kneeling the ball 3 times after the interception that I didnt return for a TD because I didnt want to run up the score.

You had only 4 first downs, only one of which was on third down meaning you didn't keep your drives alive very often. If I knew there would be this much stat posting I would have wrote down numbers. I don't think I did anything wrong, if you think I did thats fine. I followed all the rules I just simply ran the ball as I always do. I very rarely had to even pick a passing play so I know that I didnt take a lot of time choosing plays so I call bs there, but whatever. If I did something wrong just tell me and I'll change it. I pay attention to the game clock all the time and the only time I ever let it get low is if I am lost finding a play or its the fourth quarter.

Edit: I talked to FMT about this, and 25-30 seconds is what he would like. I can't really say exactly what I did every play, but I will make sure to have a play selected by 25 seconds aside from after kickoffs and punts when the clock seems to start off lower? I can't believe you brought up the game we played for the redskins by the way. A game in which you went for fourth down in the 2nd quarter and in which I was trying out the KC playbook so I might have been lost in it. Either way, I will take this criticism and change so I dont have to hear anything later on.

Edit2: Oh and 13 minutes x 60 = 780 / 21 ~ 37 seconds per play not 41. Lets say I had the ball for four minutes of the fourth (which I'd say is pretty reasonable given that your one drive was two - three pass plays all of which were incomplete I believe. 13-4 = 9 minutes x 60 = 540/(I'll just use your 3rd quarter #'s)18 = 30 seconds. 45-30 = 15 seconds left. Exactly what I shoot for.

Subtract out say 10 seconds for my single kick return and the interception return we have 530/18 = 29.4 or about 16 seconds left. Certainly above 10 seconds, but as I said I will get it up to 25 seconds.

And this is just how long each play took thats not saying when I snapped the ball. If you guess that each play ran off on average 5 seconds after the snap that that would put it at 24.4 which means I snapped it at about 20 seconds.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
GG Malley.

F-ing ints and fumbles killed me and LJ :(

we had some lag,that was also kinda annoying.

Striker

FrenchMovieTheme said:
well, on a non-cheese related note, had a great game against striker. well, my offense wasn't great. although i had no turnovers i couldn't get anything going. gore had 9 rushes 19 yards :lol

but alex came through! got a long TD on what looked like busted covg and rode it to victory. i could not really stop the cards offense. if i played the pass he ran, if i played the run he passed, if i played the pass and he passed he still got me. tough receivers to go against, kept safety help all game almost.

anyhow i had a 3 point lead with 2 mins left. striker drove all the way down inside my 10. on 1st and 10 he threw a slant near the endzone... that was picked! thanks brandon moore!

i really had no business winning that game if you look at the stats. he outrushed me, outpassed me, had more first downs, more 3rd down conversions, the works... but he also had 2 more turnovers! gg tho
Yes, very good game.

I just have to limit my stupid mistakes. :(

new rule fellas: please call your plays with no less than 25 seconds left on the playclock. i understand late in the 4th or on crucial drives you need to take your time, and thats fine, but on the average play just be courteous and make your calls as quickly as you can. i wish online had a feature to stop the game clock at 25 and let the playclock continue on cause i know people aren't doing it on purpose. but there is no such feature!

Matrix

Jesus looking at my stats,I really need to run more.

I have a decent HB and im still fucking bombing passes.

Mrbob

Matrix said:
Jesus looking at my stats,I really need to run more.

I have a decent HB and im still fucking bombing passes.

You should take my crash course in learning how to run! I call it Dragon Unleashed and only a select few know of my master plan!

Run with rexy when i have too otherwise pass, pass, pass! Suck it Benson you worthless pos you aint getting the ball!

Matrix

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Matrix said:
GG Malley.

F-ing ints and fumbles killed me and LJ :(

we had some lag,that was also kinda annoying.

FUCK YOU MATRIX... you are your cheesin ways can kiss my black ass.....

You velveeta, nacho, polly o string face...

you passed for a touchdown when you knew DAMN WELL i was in run coverage... Im not saying that I hate you, but seriously...

lol... GG man.. turnovers were a bitch and yea Green was tearing me up for a good portion of that first half... definitely try toget him at least 20+ rushes a game...

Ramirez

againmi4.jpg

SickBoy

daw840 said:
Sickboy when do you want to get this game done......just let me know when

I work evenings right now, so I'm usually available after 10 PT... like right now :)

Otherwise, during the day works excellent. Outside of those times, weekends are somewhat flexible...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
man, a fucking offensive show DM and I had going on. Fucking FIREWORKS BLARIN, WAKING UP THE OLD FOGEYS IN THE RETIREMENT HOMES!

Striker

I posted my first news summary for the Cards.

Lonestar!

My GT is Striker029 -- aim name is Toth029 -- hit me up sometime.

We can arrange a meeting or whatnot for our Week 2 matchup.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Cool. I'll probably be busy this weekend. Family coming in, going to visit my Dad's brothers and sisters. Monday will be good, day off and all (unless the week isn't open yet)

Other than that, I'm ok with Primetime, up to about 11 pm CST.

Wellington said:
I really didn't understand when you sent the message, and I don't understand now. I'm not interested in getting into "drama" in this league so I will keep it brief:

Exhibit A

Strahan with 1 sack, which was a PA handoff and a rollout to my side. 2 tackles for a losses which I believe were on the same offensive play, a toss to the strong side with linemen pulling, so I essentially went unblocked in for a tackle due to the design of the play. Those stats aren't uncommon.

2) You kept rolling out to both sides. When you came my way, I pursued, the other way Osi pursued, and he is a faster DE. When you sent the message, I stopped playing DE just to humor you, and you began rolling out and scrambling. Further, at least two of those picks came after you rolled out and had time to make a good read and a good throw. It's not my fault the guys are making the plays.

3) Also, the Cowboys right tackle is the lowest rated player on that OLine. I blitzed almost all game on the right side of your line.

4) I am manually controlling a future hall of famer.

Though I really have not had any problems with any other player, I will be willing to make a change for the league's sake. I will switch to DT for the time being. However, if players want to try and take advantage by scrambling out right or left I will have to go DE and play contain.

Let's not forget that the DEs on my team are a year removed from the pro-bowl, and both have superstar icons. What is going to happen is that I won't manually control Strahan but there will be as many if not more sacks and pressure, so then what do you want me to do? Bench my two starting ends?

Edit - Goddamn Osi was a beast in that game.

Damn EA for not having savable video!!

The effect you had on the defense using the DEs goes beyond the actual sacks and tackles they produced. Every time I went back to pass your manually controlled DE was in my face repeatedly. Now I understand Strahan is a future hall of famer, but for to to repeated run past my blocker untouched with your "weapon" was an abuse. It was akin to manually blitzing with DWare every play. Due to that style of play, I was forced pretty much trash anything remotely close to a balanced offense by exclusively throwing from the shotgun into loaded zone coverages while having happy feet from your manually controlled DEs.

I can take a loss just fine. I think anyone gets upset when they feel like they didnt get a fair shake. I really feel like you exploited a flaw in the game, and I refuse to give you credit you think you deserve. While the score says you dominated me, it is my unshakable contention that you killed the game with your DE cheese. Beat me fair and square, and I'll be the first one to tip my hat and say the better man won...

To sum up my final feelings on this game, it felt like I hit "Quick Game" instead of playing a GAF season game.....

vumpler said:
Honestly Shawn I have to say I think Wellington is in his own league of cheese with that one. I've played 60+ games online under quick game and have yet seen this flavor cheese. Pretty damn pathetic sounding if true.

too bad i was in the middle of quoting it!

look i'm not here to take sides. you guys know i am a fair person. i've played CK 5 or 6 times (as well as gunstar who uses a DE of equal talent) and while they are a pain to deal with i never felt overwhelmed by it. sucked that i had to keep VD in to block at times but thems the breaks.

shawn im not taking sides but CK says you were down 14-0 after your first offensive play. that is also a cause for you to abandon any semblance of a gameplan. like i said, we'll keep an eye on it and if it is a huge issue we'll deal with it. everyone ive talked to who has played ck/gunstar has said the DE's are a bitch but can be dealt with (except coldblooded who also wanted DE's banned... then i said did you leave your TE to block and he said he shouldn't have to :lol)

Zep

Banned
Total Offense (12th) 52
Total Rushing Yards (10th) 33
Total Passing Yards (10th) 19

Points For (1st) 37.0

Rorschach

Wellie: remember it's completions, THEN attempts. :p

nm fixed!

Striker: you don't need to enter 0 values in the player stats if you don't want to. They are automatically counted as 0 if left blank.

Top Bottom