• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden Season 10 Official Thread: I want you back for good!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Shawnwhann said:
Damn EA for not having savable video!!

The effect you had on the defense using the DEs goes beyond the actual sacks and tackles they produced. Every time I went back to pass your manually controlled DE was in my face repeatedly. Now I understand Strahan is a future hall of famer, but for to to repeated run past my blocker untouched with your "weapon" was an abuse. It was akin to manually blitzing with DWare every play. Due to that style of play, I was forced pretty much trash anything remotely close to a balanced offense by exclusively throwing from the shotgun into loaded zone coverages while having happy feet from your manually controlled DEs.

I can take a loss just fine. I think anyone gets upset when they feel like they didnt get a fair shake. I really feel like you exploited a flaw in the game, and I refuse to give you credit you think you deserve. While the score says you dominated me, it is my unshakable contention that you killed the game with your DE cheese. Beat me fair and square, and I'll be the first one to tip my hat and say the better man won...

To sum up my final feelings on this game, it felt like I hit "Quick Game" instead of playing a GAF season game.....

Yeah, I too wish there was video for these games, then we would see who is telling the truth.

Again, I don't understand where you are coming from. I was certainly NOT in your face all game with Strahan. Look at his numbers as opposed to the guy I do not control. Two tackles, two tackles for a loss, and one sack compared to four tackles, three for a loss, two sacks, and a forced fumble. Yeah there was a DE in your face all game, but it wasn't Strahan.

Well let's get some facts straight:

1) You passed 40 times and were sacked 4 times.
2) I blitzed heavily during the game
3) On your first int you went 5 wide and threw right at a corner in the flats almost immediately after the snap
4) You were down 28-0 before I touched the ball on offense. (First quarter)
5) Your message via XBL came in the fourth quarter, if it was that bad you would have said something in the first.

What's going to happen when I don't control a DE and both are in everyone's face even more?

Personally, I think the numbers tell the story. I didn't force you to throw into coverage, nor did I force you to never double team either DE, and I didn't force you to roll out like you kept doing (and don't mention).

As for vumpler, maybe you should ask anyone else how fair they think you played last year.

Zep

Banned
Wellington said:
Yeah, I too wish there was video for these games, then we would see who is telling the truth.

Again, I don't understand where you are coming from. I was certainly NOT in your face all game with Strahan. Look at his numbers as opposed to the guy I do not control. Two tackles, two tackles for a loss, and one sack compared to four tackles, three for a loss, two sacks, and a forced fumble. Yeah there was a DE in your face all game, but it wasn't Strahan.

3) On your first int you went 5 wide and threw right at a corner in the flats almost immediately after the snap
5) Your message via XBL came in the fourth quarter, if it was that bad you would have said something in the first.

What's going to happen when I don't control a DE and both are in everyone's face even more?

Personally, I think the numbers tell the story. I didn't force you to throw into coverage, nor did I force you to never double team either DE, and I didn't force you to roll out like you kept doing (and don't mention).

As for vumpler, maybe you should ask anyone else how fair they think you played last year.

Aw shit...do we need anymore back and forth?:lol

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
:lol :lol

Is this the most drama the leagues have seen after week one games? Hell,week one isnt even completed.

:lol @ Malley

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Well let's put it this way; I've been playing with GAFfers since Madden '04 and using Strahan the whole time. These two guys that joined our ranks last year have a problem with me, but not anyone else.

I forgot to mention to take a look at the WR longest reception stats and reception average stats, those also tell the tale of how long Shawn was able to hold onto the ball before throwing it. It takes a long time for a 17 yard route to develop, especially considering I ran a lot of bump and run.

At any rate, I rest my case on this topic for the rest of the season, you all know my AIM handle if you want to hash it out.

:lol

Gotta say of the people I have played the most in this league it is definitely Wellington and not once did I see him cheese. So much drama

Edit: On a side note just so you guys know apparently you need to enter in 0's instead of leaving it blank for passing tds and rushing tds in order for your team to show up correctly on the passing tds allowed ranking. Same goes for sacks, fumbles recovered, and interceptions thrown. Basically every column needs a number in the game stats page.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
FrenchMovieTheme said:
new rule fellas: please call your plays with no less than 25 seconds left on the playclock. i understand late in the 4th or on crucial drives you need to take your time, and thats fine, but on the average play just be courteous and make your calls as quickly as you can. i wish online had a feature to stop the game clock at 25 and let the playclock continue on cause i know people aren't doing it on purpose. but there is no such feature!

I will do my best, but there are times when you call a play and get to the line and see a mismatch or a blitz and you need to adjust the hot routes or blocking assignments. If I come to the line with 25 to go, and I see blitzers, am I supposed to just hike it without making adjustments?

I am new to the league, and I respect your decisions and rules, but perhaps for Season 2 we can try longer quarters and let people have more time. Otherwise, the playcalling in this game will become a rudimentary game of "rock, paper, scissors" rather than "chess".

DenogginizerOS said:
I will do my best, but there are times when you call a play and get to the line and see a mismatch or a blitz and you need to adjust the hot routes or blocking assignements. If I come to the line with 25 to go, and I see blitzers, am I supposed to just hike it without making adjustments?

I am new to the league, and I respect your decisions and rules, but perhaps for Season 2 we can try longer quarters and let people have more time. Otherwise, the playcalling in this game will become a rudimentary game of "rock, paper, scissors" rather than "chess".

I think, I could be wrong, but my understanding was 25 seconds to select a initial play. If you need to make audibles and such then you can. But don't just sit at the line. So in your case I would believe its alright, but thats just my understanding.

Fifty

You guys are off to an all-time record start for drama. If your goal was to entertain me sitting in my luxury box, you're doing a great job.

LiveWire

sableholic said:
I didn't write down the time clock #'s so I'll just believe you when you say that. But I did not let the clock below 10 seconds on any play outside of the fourth quarter. Nor did I run down the clock in the 2nd quarter or the 3rd. Going only by recollection I got most of my plays off and snapped with 15-20 seconds left on the clock. I had the ball almost the whole fourth quarter. Thats five minutes right there. Most of which came from kneeling the ball 3 times after the interception that I didnt return for a TD because I didnt want to run up the score.

You had only 4 first downs, only one of which was on third down meaning you didn't keep your drives alive very often.

Subtract out say 10 seconds for my single kick return and the interception return we have 530/18 = 29.4 or about 16 seconds left. Certainly above 10 seconds, but as I said I will get it up to 25 seconds.

And this is just how long each play took thats not saying when I snapped the ball. If you guess that each play ran off on average 5 seconds after the snap that that would put it at 24.4 which means I snapped it at about 20 seconds.

You only had 8 first downs, the majority of which came in your one sustained scoring drive which you began in the 3rd and milked to the 2 minute warning in the 4th!! It's not like you called 35 or 40 plays to my 22. You called LESS plays and had nearly DOUBLE the clock time! You consistently ran the play clock in the playcalling screen to under 20. Don't forget that after both players leave the playcalling screen you have that 5-10 second period where the players line up at scrimmage (5 seconds if you hold down A to rush to the line). Nearly every play was snapped under 15 seconds, and many I could hear the warning ticking as you went under 10 seconds.

I appreciate FMTs 25 second limit, but honestly it should not even take that long to pick a play--ESPECIALLY when the defense only gets 10 seconds to pick after the offense has picked a play! I have no problem getting my offensive and defensive calls in quickly.

The 41 seconds, BTW, came from not including those two incompletions out of the amazing 4 total passes you attempted in the game. Include them and yes, it's an average of 37 seconds per play! That's still rut-roh, Shaggy! :lol

Let's just reiterate the most important stat.

22 plays (me) 7 minutes 21 plays (you) 13 minutes! Is this that hard to understand? A few more first downs and 2 more 3rd downs does not equal DOUBLE possession time my friend. Good luck in the rest of the season, and a warning to anyone who plays anyone else to watch that play clock. It's no fun to get screwed out of any chance to get an offensive flow established when you're limited to 20 plays in a 20 minute game.

LiveWire said:
You only had 8 first downs, the majority of which came in your one sustained scoring drive which you began in the 3rd and milked to the 2 minute warning in the 4th!! It's not like you called 35 or 40 plays to my 22. You called LESS plays and had nearly DOUBLE the clock time! You consistently ran the play clock in the playcalling screen to under 20. Don't forget that after both players leave the playcalling screen you have that 5-10 second period where the players line up at scrimmage (5 seconds if you hold down A to rush to the line). Nearly every play was snapped under 15 seconds, and many I could hear the warning ticking as you went under 10 seconds.

Let's just reiterate the most important stat.

22 plays (me) 7 minutes 21 plays (you) 13 minutes! Is this that hard to understand? A few more first downs and 2 more 3rd downs does not equal DOUBLE possession time my friend. Good luck in the rest of the season, and a warning to anyone who plays anyone else to watch that play clock. It's no fun to get screwed out of any chance to get an offensive flow established when you're limited to 20 plays in a 20 minute game.

Did you even see the numbers I posted? Cause you'd be wrong on all of the above. The fact that you have that 5-10 second period where the players line up means that I picked the play even earlier than my numbers were. It's not complicated and you're only hurting your case. Again the 37 seconds per play isn't the time it took me to select a play and it also includes the freaking fourth quarter where I had the ball almost the whole time. Oh and I was limited to 20 plays in 20 minute game as well by the way, i just did something with those plays

Here are the numbers again:

Oh and 13 minutes x 60 = 780 / 21 ~ 37 seconds per play not 41. Lets say I had the ball for four minutes of the fourth (which I'd say is pretty reasonable given that your one drive was two - three pass plays all of which were incomplete I believe. 13-4 = 9 minutes x 60 = 540/(I'll just use your 3rd quarter #'s)18 = 30 seconds. 45-30 = 15 seconds left. Exactly what I shoot for.

Subtract out say 10 seconds for my single kick return and the interception return we have 530/18 = 29.4 or about 16 seconds left. Certainly above 10 seconds, but as I said I will get it up to 25 seconds.

And this is just how long each play took thats not saying when I snapped the ball. If you guess that each play ran off on average 5 seconds after the snap that that would put it at 24.4 which means I snapped it at about 20 seconds.

Now updating them to factor in your point about the 5-10 second period where the players line up it puts me to 25-30 seconds avg play selection outside of the fourth, which by the way would fall into the new rule as well and isnt under 20 seconds as you claim. So you must be mistaken or exaggerating your claims. Oh and I would have passed more if I needed to, I mean its not like my passing game was ineffective with about 100 yards passing. In real life if someone can't stop your running game, do you think the coach will just stop to be nice?

Again you can't expect to have the ball a lot when you convert one 1 third down attempt and only gain 4 first downs total. That and your completion percentage. Those factored into your limited time. We can continue discussing this, but its kinda pointless to me. Its not like I'm pulling some fuzzy math here.

Mrbob

Haha, damn, there is no drama on GAF which compares with the Madden league!

I think we are cracking some type of record here, and it is only week 1! :lol

Slo

Dudes, why is it that I can't challenge people to games through my friends list? The option is grayed out for me.

Zep

Banned
Mrbob said:

shut up bitch

Mrbob said:

Yep I don't even need TV during the league :D

Slo said:
Dudes, why is it that I can't challenge people to games through my friends list? The option is grayed out for me.

Do you mean after you went to online-> create session and then setup the rules it was grayed out?

Slo

sableholic said:
Do you mean after you went to online-> create session and then setup the rules it was grayed out?

No, I mean when I press the Live buttons and select a friend that's online there's an option that says "Invite to Game". Isn't that supposed to work?

Slo said:
No, I mean when I press the Live buttons and select a friend that's online there's an option that says "Invite to Game". Isn't that supposed to work?

As long as you have the game setup I guess. I don't think you can do it without having the room created. Like in Gears you would need to have the room setup. Or are you saying you have the room setup then went to your friends list and it was grayed out?

LiveWire

sableholic said:
So you must be mistaken or exaggerating your claims. Oh and I would have passed more if I needed to, I mean its not like my passing game was ineffective with about 100 yards passing.

Again you can't expect to have the ball a lot when you convert one 1 third down attempt and only gain 4 first downs total. That and your completion percentage. Those factored into your limited time. We can continue discussing this, but its kinda pointless to me.

What is there to exaggerate about DOUBLE the possession time on less plays?!? You completed only 50% of your passes. 4 passes total! 2 for like 95 yards, 1 broken play on D that gave Santana a 64-yd TD reception, and 1 31-yard reception for Cooley. You weren't leading a John Elway 98-yard drive on every possession. You sat on the ball and milked the clock. It's done, you got the win, everyone is more aware of the clock and hopefully the issue won't rear its ugly head again.

Just to be clear, I'm not pissed at the loss--I think my best GAF season was 3-13--I'm pissed because I didn't have a fair chance to play offense because of clock-milking.

LiveWire said:
What is there to exaggerate about DOUBLE the possession time on less plays?!? You completed only 50% of your passes. 4 passes total! 2 for like 95 yards, 1 broken play on D that gave Santana a 64-yd TD reception, and 1 31-yard reception for Cooley. You weren't leading a John Elway 98-yard drive on every possession. You sat on the ball and milked the clock. It's done, don't worry, you got the win, everyone is more aware of the clock and hopefully the issue won't rear its ugly head again.

Just to be clear, I'm not pissed at the loss--I think my best GAF season was 3-13--I'm pissed because I didn't have a fair chance to play offense because of clock-milking.

And i don't think I milked the clock until the fourth quarter. I've already said you can't just look at the double possession time as before the fourth it was ~8 minutes 30 seconds to ~6 minutes 30 seconds. And this is where we'll just have to agree to disagree. I showed my #'s you showed yours, we are going no where with this and we should just move on.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Wellington said:
These two guys that joined our ranks last year have a problem with me,

171fs693755.jpg

:lol Whoever keeps telling everyone I have a problem with everyone else. Tell them to get at me. :lol Honestly I can't think of anything else to say other than don't be so offended and take things so personal. Nothings is an attack on you. I don't have a problem with but 1 person on all of gaf and sorry bud you aren't him/her :D

The way I interpreted shawns message was that you were hitting him EVERY play running free straight to the QB. So when I hear 1 sack and 2 TFL from your side of what happened it completely negates my interpretation of his statement. Thats the reason "if true" was thrown down. I thought it was pretty straight forward but anyone can go off getting offended by everything if they want, do what you do.

The reason I edited my statement 30 seconds after posting is because all I had read was shawns post. After I posted I think WellTon had posted 2 post previous and brought up stats from the game. So even that was enough to disprove the statement.

Andokuky

Banned
Even picking the play with 25 seconds left on the clock is still way too long to pick a play imho... especially when you have to add another 5+ seconds to get to the line and snap the ball, and that's assuming the offense doesn't audible or call motion or anything. In a game with 5 minute quarters you can easily run half a minute off the clock on each play.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
F that....

i say F*** picking your own plays and we all just Ask madden the whole game....

case closed.

shutup

1. Sacked four times with 6 "official" pressures e.g. hit while throwing which was the culprit of some of those picks

2.Yeah you did which exacerbated the issue

3. Bullshit. I didnt open the game with a 5 Wide set. It was a Trips Shotgun formation which was originally a draw before I audibled...

4. I didnt say anything earlier because I had never seen the effectiveness of someone playing DE exclusively. Af first I was thinking nice play, but you repeatedly kept getting pressure and it climaxed with a sack on a P.A. pass I didnt even get a change to realize as you hit me while I did the HB fake handoff.

5. I didnt respond to the rollout thing because I brushed it off. Anything I did as far as scrambling was a reaction to what you were doing defensively. I typically dont roll out and I make my living from throwing in the pocket. Anyone can look up my Madden profile on live and see my scramble percentage is extremely low.

Look dude, I am just calling the game like I saw it. I dont have a problem with you personally, but I was not happy at all with the perfect storm of bullshit happening along with what you were doing with Strahan.

Just because you've been playing with Strahan since forever doesnt mean there is something terribly broken with the line play this year. When you can just run past my o-line man without being touched consistently, you know there is a problem.

I'm done on this too if you are...

LiveWire

Andokuky said:
Even picking the play with 25 seconds left on the clock is still way too long to pick a play imho... especially when you have to add another 5+ seconds to get to the line and snap the ball, and that's assuming the offense doesn't audible or call motion or anything. In a game with 5 minute quarters you can easily run half a minute off the clock on each play.

Ando gets it.

Extrapolate 5 minute quarters to 15 minute quarters and that's like taking a minute and a half to run one play, which would be like having 10 plays per quarter!

Miguel

FUCK YOU MATRIX AND YOUR MATT SCHAUB CHEESE!

YOU KNOW TEXANS QUARTERBACKS CAN'T COMPLETE PASSES YOU GAMESHARKING MOTHERFUCKER!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I WILL FART ON YOUR HEAD MIGUEL AND YOU WILL CRY OH YOU WILL CRY!

ANYONE ELSE WANT SOME!?

i didnt think so.

This is only my second year, but I love this league!!!

Shawn, it's funny that you're so pissed now because I remember you cheesing the hell out of me last year during an NCAA game where I was filling in for someone. You scrambled out to the flats with Troy Smith for almost every pass.

I'm not saying you're doing that now (you do have Tony Slo-Mo Romo), but it's funny to hear you crying so much about cheese when a) people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and b) the stats don't back up your argument.

Everyone gets their ass kicked once in a while, and you're a good player, so I'm sure you'll recover and win a lot of games this year, but please stop the crying!!!

Miguel

Matrix said:
I WILL FART ON YOUR HEAD MIGUEL AND YOU WILL CRY OH YOU WILL CRY!

ANYONE ELSE WANT SOME!?

i didnt think so.
DON'T MAKE ME SHOW THEM YOUR MAGAZINE COLLECTION

OH I'LL DO IT!

25.jpg

I TOLD YOU I WOULD

Matrix

He's so beautiful *weeps*

I'LL ALWAYS LOVE JOO COUSIN DAVID!

Matrix

Was that his TD pass or one of the two times he was on his ass?

Ramirez

Anyone else notice the playclock sometimes starts at like 10 seconds and under even if you pick a play immediately? It's really weird and random.

I don't want any rule enforced on how quick we have to snap the ball, everyone should know how to fucking play legit, it's not hard. There were a couple of times against DCX where I let the clock run down early, but it was because I was hot routing blocks and my TE who was supposed to block, but I sent him on a go route and it got my only passing TD of the game. So fuck all this you gotta snap the ball at 25-30 seconds shit, if people constantly get claims made on them of milking it on purpose then just boot them.

Ramirez said:
Anyone else notice the playclock sometimes starts at like 10 seconds and under even if you pick a play immediately? It's really weird and random.

I don't want any rule enforced on how quick we have to snap the ball, everyone should know how to fucking play legit, it's not hard. There were a couple of times against DCX where I let the clock run down early, but it was because I was hot routing blocks and my TE who was supposed to block, but I sent him on a go route and it got my only passing TD of the game. So fuck all this you gotta snap the ball at 25-30 seconds shit, if people constantly get claims made on them of milking it on purpose then just boot them.

The rule is about selecting the play, not snapping the ball.

Matrix

I just hate the fact we get like only 10 seconds to call a play on D and add in some lag and sometimes you can pick the wrong play.

ASK MADDEN IS THE NEW LEAGUE HOTTNESS TO COMBAT THIS

Fifty

This was never an issue in the past. Has the playcalling system changed this year? If it hasn't, this shouldn't be a general problem, but rather a problem with people being impatient on D or slow assholes on offense.

Ramirez said:

I think that after kickoffs/punts/change of possessions the first playclock is vastly shortened.

dammitmatt said:
This is only my second year, but I love this league!!!

Shawn, it's funny that you're so pissed now because I remember you cheesing the hell out of me last year during an NCAA game where I was filling in for someone. You scrambled out to the flats with Troy Smith for almost every pass.

I'm not saying you're doing that now (you do have Tony Slo-Mo Romo), but it's funny to hear you crying so much about cheese when a) people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and b) the stats don't back up your argument.

Everyone gets their ass kicked once in a while, and you're a good player, so I'm sure you'll recover and win a lot of games this year, but please stop the crying!!!

My first thought was..."do I know you and we played what?" :lol

Your characterization of a game you said we played is full of hyperbole. If I scrambled it was because you blitzed or there was pressure.

Just like you felt the need to reference details from a game we played over a year ago in crystal clarity is your right, it is mine to express my POV

This is America, and everyone is entittled to their right to bitch, even when they are wrong e.g. like you are now.

I've had gameplay beef with several regulars. We discuss it like men and move on to resume our normal congenial relationships. Wellington can speak to how he wishes to leave this discussion, but I know I'm fine with the outcome. DE play will be looked at closely by the commisioners, and that's all I can ask for at this time.

Matrix

Fifty said:
This was never an issue in the past. Has the playcalling system changed this year? If it hasn't, this shouldn't be a general problem, but rather a problem with people being impatient on D or slow assholes on offense.

It's changed some.If I wasnt lazy Id take out my camera and take a pic,but im lazy.

It just feels like the clock counts down much quicker when trying to select your D this year.

Matrix said:
It's changed some.If I wasnt lazy Id take out my camera and take a pic,but im lazy.

It just feels like the clock counts down much quicker when trying to select your D this year.

What sucks is thats only online. So its not like you can prepare for it.

Matrix

sableholic said:
What sucks is thats only online. So its not like you can prepare for it.

Yea I forget to say it's only online where it feels like that.

Matrix said:
Yea I forget to say it's only online where it feels like that.

Yep I knew what you meant just reiterating it. Its 8-10 seconds online I believe versus 15 or so offline, but it also feels sped up as you say so its not even at the same pace.

Shawnwhann said:
My first thought was..."do I know you and we played what?" :lol

Your characterization of a game you said we played is full of hyperbole. If I scrambled it was because you blitzed or there was pressure.

Just like you felt the need to reference details from a game we played over a year ago in crystal clarity is your right, it is mine to express my POV

This is America, and everyone is entittled to their right to bitch, even when they are wrong e.g. like you are now.

I've had gameplay beef with several regulars. We discuss it like men and move on to resume our normal congenial relationships. Wellington can speak to how he wishes to leave this discussion, but I know I'm fine with the outcome. DE play will be looked at closely by the commisioners, and that's all I can ask for at this time.

My user name has changed since last season but we played a game or two last year and I can assure you that it was a miserable, cheesy experience. If I recall correctly, you even (kind of) apologized after FMT stepped in and vowed to not be as cheesy and run up the score (which you also did).

Anyway, I was pointing out the irony in YOU calling someone else cheesy. If you dish it out like a champ you better be prepared to take it, especially when you are calling out a long-time vet who no one has ever had a problem with.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
dammitmattt said:
...especially when you are calling out a long-time vet who no one has ever had a problem with.

Oh, I've had a BIIIIIIIIIG problem with him!!!!

Only because he turned DM into an Offensive JUGGERNAUT!
JuggernautSmash.gif

Top Bottom