• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden Season 10 Official Thread: I want you back for good!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
98 Vikings! Randall's last stand.

Didn't that team break offensive records that year? And then get owned in the second round of the playoffs?

Rorschach

Got my 360 back! :eek: :O :eek:

Played 1 game...hooooleee crap. All I can say is that I should NOT have played so much PS2 Madden. I am so fucked for at least 5 games. >< I can't do anything on either side of the ball. I'm not familiar with the playcalling system or the hot route system...or any of the new stuff. :(

And holeee shit at my team's ratings...and why the hell doesn't Asomugha have shutdown? >:| Bee Es!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Rorschach said:
Got my 360 back! :eek: :O :eek:

Played 1 game...hooooleee crap. All I can say is that I should NOT have played so much PS2 Madden. I am so fucked for at least 5 games. >< I can't do anything on either side of the ball. I'm not familiar with the playcalling system or the hot route system...or any of the new stuff. :(

And holeee shit at my team's ratings...and why the hell doesn't Asomugha have shutdown? >:| Bee Es!

Well you got time to practice for me! im stuck at my sisters house taking care of her cats all weekend(one of them is diabetic, needs insulin twice a day). Ill be able to play early next week

Rorschach

ColdBlooded33 said:
Well you got time to practice for me! im stuck at my sisters house taking care of her cats all weekend(one of them is diabetic, needs insulin twice a day). Ill be able to play early next week
Was gonna ask to get it over with like taking off a bandaid, but this is better! ;b

Watching the Raider game, anyway. That will be fine. Just let me know when you're free. If I'm on AIM I'm usually free to play.

Rorschach

Big Zep said:
rorrrrrrs....play me. and i can talk to you and tell you how to play!
It needs to be learned by doing. The game just feels so slow and clunky right now...I'll play you, though...if you're around after the raider game :p

Slo

Cloudy, I'm going out of town this weekend for work, so if we can't get the game in tomorrow night then I won't be able to play until Monday night.

Zep

Banned
Rorschach said:
It needs to be learned by doing. The game just feels so slow and clunky right now...I'll play you, though...if you're around after the raider game :p

OK, let me know AIM or here.

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
Like I said, I'm used to the PS2 version. Go play it then play the 360 version. :p

It's not apf bad, but it's gonna take some getting used to. I don't feel in control at all right now.

daw840 said:
OK...I accidentally unsubscribed from this thread on my User CP......how do I re-subscribe?
Top right of the page. Where it says "Thread tools"

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
ps2 version is FASTER though? cause the 360 version is already fast as fuck. ps2 must be like playing a super turbo mode
Yup and the response times are faster too.

3 noob questions:

1 - Can you view the plays you called at the line? When the Offense audibles or when I call a hot route, I wanna see if it was done right.

2 - ok what's up with the attributes? Two of my players never show them at all and Sapp only shows it once a game. It showed up for me for 1 play in the 3rd quarter in my game against DM and once on my previous game.

3 - how does that smart LB thing work? DM can see my plays all the time or just when the circle is full?

Striker

1 - Can you view the plays you called at the line? When the Offense audibles or when I call a hot route, I wanna see if it was done right.
Audibles, not that I know, but yes Hot Routes.

2 - ok what's up with the attributes? Two of my players never show them at all and Sapp only shows it once a game. It showed up for me for 1 play in the 3rd quarter in my game against DM and once on my previous game.
Huh?

3 - how does that smart LB thing work? DM can see my plays all the time or just when the circle is full?
No idea. :)

Some help I was :lol

bluemax

Banned
Well fuck. Mr Bob and I almost finished a horrible lag filled game but with 1:43 to go it finally gave out on us.

Would've been a great game if not for the lag.

daw840

I just got completely kicked off XBL....I can't log onto www.xbox.com from my computer either, the web site won't even come up.....right in the first quarter of a game.

Anyone else have this problem?

SickBoy

Way to get banned from Xbox! :)

Seriously, though, sounds like an ISP problem -- outage somewhere along the line, I guess?

I see you're back on now, though, hooray!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
bluemax said:
Well fuck. Mr Bob and I almost finished a horrible lag filled game but with 1:43 to go it finally gave out on us.

Would've been a great game if not for the lag.

I'm sure he was downloading tv shows while playing your Madden league game,that would explain the horrible lag.

1. yes, hold RT and push Up on the right stick to view play art (it will show your audible adjustments too)

2. what? your players have their special abilities whether they flash on screen or not, if that's what you're asking. (if it flashed on screen it's b/c you cycled onto that player, the game is just letting you know that's an impact player)

3. when the bulb is full, you push RT + LB to see what the play is between the tackles. if you have a smart CB, you can see the WR's route

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
1. yes, hold RT and push Up on the right stick to view play art (it will show your audible adjustments too)

2. what? your players have their special abilities whether they flash on screen or not, if that's what you're asking. (if it flashed on screen it's b/c you cycled onto that player, the game is just letting you know that's an impact player)

3. when the bulb is full, you push RT + LB to see what the play is between the tackles. if you have a smart CB, you can see the WR's route
Thanks. :D

What I meant by attributes was the icons. Like for example, Burgess has "finesse moves" The little whirlwind icon shows up every time. Sapp's doesn't and they don't show up when you try to do a finesse move either. Washington's wings only showed up 1 game. Burgess and Morrison have their show up every time. I was just wondering why that is. At first, I thought it might be fatigue, but Sapp's doesn't show up at the beginning of the game either...only once a game...it's just weird. From what you're telling me, though, I guess it doesn't matter.

is madden 08 drastically faster than madden 07 ps2? cause i played madden 07 ps2 about 2 weeks ago and it was the same speed as the 360 version as i saw it. the only difference was it looked and played worse :D

Fifty

This Madden feels basically the same speed wise as the last Xbox game we all played and loved so much IMO. Maybe a little faster/slower but whatever the case it feels just right to me. Any faster and it's too arcadey and any slower and it's too robotic.

p.s: someone quit the league. ...just not Rors. I don't want the Raiders!

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
is madden 08 drastically faster than madden 07 ps2? cause i played madden 07 ps2 about 2 weeks ago and it was the same speed as the 360 version as i saw it. the only difference was it looked and played worse :D
It is slightly faster and the blocking/tackling is fixed. Also, the animations aren't as fleshed out as the 360 version, so you push a button and it does what you tell it as soon as you do. On top of all that, the Raiders are rated slightly higher, so it doesn't feel like I'm playing with the Browns.

Fifty said:
This Madden feels basically the same speed wise as the last Xbox game we all played and loved so much IMO. Maybe a little faster/slower but whatever the case it feels just right to me. Any faster and it's too arcadey and any slower and it's too robotic.

p.s: someone quit the league. ...just not Rors. I don't want the Raiders!
It is a little more "arcadey" actually. It's fun, though. :p

:lol A few seasons ago you wanted them. No Moss; no sale?! Well, we don't need you, anyway! :'(

They are rated pretty low (in the 60's!)...the offense is abysmal.

Fifty

Rorschach said:
:lol A few seasons ago you wanted them. No Moss; no sale?! Well, we don't need you, anyway! :'(

They are rated pretty low (in the 60's!)...the offense is abysmal.

When did I ever want the Raiders? You must be confusing them with the RAvens. Moss is a douchebag, I wouldnt want any part of him. Maybe I used them in 2K once.. However, I'm a big fan of that bipolar player who didn't show up for the superbowl. That's my favorite Raiders moment. It pretty much sums up the current state of the franchise. Bipolar and unwilling to show up when it counts.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Fifty said:
When did I ever want the Raiders? You must be confusing them with the RAvens. Moss is a douchebag, I wouldnt want any part of him. Maybe I used them in 2K once.. However, I'm a big fan of that bipolar player who didn't show up for the superbowl. That's my favorite Raiders moment. It pretty much sums up the current state of the franchise. Bipolar and unwilling to show up when it counts.

Ouch. That was uncalled for.

*Down Fifty! Down! Bad dog!*

Ramirez

Fifty said:

Yeeeeeeeees. :lol

SickBoy

gg daw... I should stop manually controlling defenders... and I probably should have played a little Madden during my long obsessive period with Bioshock (I've played once since Bioshock was released, against my brother).

McGahee ran all over me near the end.

Questions and comments for the league after my week 1 game, a few of my frustrations with this edition re-emerged this game, although it might just be my time away from it:

1) Injuries blow. Rudi Johnson: 2x (I think) Carson Palmer: 1x, Steve McNair. These are just the injuries I can think of off the top of my head. It's way overdone, and it has been in most of the games I've played of 08. I think I've played four or five games with the Bengals, and I don't know if Rudi has survived one.

2) WTF is up with LeagueDaddy? Chad Johnson isn't listed on the Bengals roster! Neither is Kenny Irons (who I'll be using a lot this year if we play with injuries throughout). Currently they are represented on the stat sheet Bennie Brazell and Alex Stepanovich, respectively.

3) What's the deal with rolling out? Is this "fair"? I can't get to Steve McNair because he can drop back 15 yards and roll to one side much faster than my line gets there...

I realize, I was playing the Ravens for my next questions, but....

4) What's the deal with line play? I conceded two safeties where I didn't have the opportunity to step back five steps and release immediately... i.e: I released damn quick, and I don't think there was much/any blitz on.. the second time, I called a hot route for my back to block.

5) What am I doing wrong in that I can't get more than a yard a carry up the middle with Rudi Johnson, but I line up my D-line tight, get them to pinch, and still Willis McGahee can spring for 10?

6) I still have huge issues with the defensive coverage. I threw four picks, and I owned two of them. Another, I'll give, even though it was an incredibly athletic play by Ray Lewis. The last, Lewis appeared on my screen to get sucked backwards four yards by some sort of invisible vortex and then make the same very athletic play he made earlier. How open do receivers have to be?

A big problem for me this year is I have to make adjustments to my playstyle, since I've got two top-tier receivers this year... is passing relatively broken, or should I feasibly be able to hit Chad or TJ 6-7 times a game? (Because I don't know how much I want to try, given the quality of coverage)

7) I also don't like the amount I get the feeling it's necessary to blitz. I don't like blitzing, but I probably blitzed more in this game than I would usually, by a fairly large degree (and I'd say that was more effective than standard D)

Rorschach

Fifty said:
A few seasons ago. I wondered why you even had interest in them and it was the first year that they had Moss...before he was 100% confirmed a bum. Speaking about not showing up when it counts what happened to the Ravens last year? I heard they trounced Indy and won the superbowl...

1) Injuries blow. Rudi Johnson: 2x (I think) Carson Palmer: 1x, Steve McNair. These are just the injuries I can think of off the top of my head. It's way overdone, and it has been in most of the games I've played of 08. I think I've played four or five games with the Bengals, and I don't know if Rudi has survived one.

just like in real life! make sure your players aren't fatigued and their chance for injury goes down. injuries are part of the game. there were no injuries suffered in my first league game

2) WTF is up with LeagueDaddy? Chad Johnson isn't listed on the Bengals
roster! Neither is Kenny Irons (who I'll be using a lot this year if we play with injuries throughout). Currently they are represented on the stat sheet Bennie Brazell and Alex Stepanovich, respectively.

updates from espn.com but players are missing here and there. just go to "rosters" on the top, click your team on the left, and add any missing players on the bottom. sorry about the inconvenience, but at least i activated the ability for each owner to manually add players!

3) What's the deal with rolling out? Is this "fair"? I can't get to Steve McNair because he can drop back 15 yards and roll to one side much faster than my line gets there...

touchy subject. it shouldn't be abused but again if the line is getting to you what should you do? get sacked? call DE contain, prevents that from happening but leaves you vulnerable to runs

4) What's the deal with line play? I conceded two safeties where I didn't have the opportunity to step back five steps and release immediately... i.e: I released damn quick, and I don't think there was much/any blitz on.. the second time, I called a hot route for my back to block.

line play is strong this year. sometimes they just bust through. sucks when it happens (unless it's your team doing it!)

5) What am I doing wrong in that I can't get more than a yard a carry up the middle with Rudi Johnson, but I line up my D-line tight, get them to pinch, and still Willis McGahee can spring for 10?

you're playing the ravens? i had my way against them with frank. be sure to hit turbo as you hit the hole not while you're approaching it. also, mcgahee is overrated in this game.

6) I still have huge issues with the defensive coverage. I threw four picks, and I owned two of them. Another, I'll give, even though it was an incredibly athletic play by Ray Lewis. The last, Lewis appeared on my screen to get sucked backwards four yards by some sort of invisible vortex and then make the same very athletic play he made earlier. How open do receivers have to be?

learn to know the throws you can and can't make. you will throw picks and sometimes it will be a spider senses pick. thems the breaks we all h ave to deal with.

A big problem for me this year is I have to make adjustments to my playstyle, since I've got two top-tier receivers this year... is passing relatively broken, or should I feasibly be able to hit Chad or TJ 6-7 times a game? (Because I don't know how much I want to try, given the quality of coverage)

passing isn't broken at all, just call smart plays. ive had games with the niners where djax has had 7-10 receptions, or arnaz has 100 yards receiving. mix up plays, call some slants, some drags, some outs, see what is comfortable for you.

7) I also don't like the amount I get the feeling it's necessary to blitz. I don't like blitzing, but I probably blitzed more in this game than I would usually, by a fairly large degree (and I'd say that was more effective than standard D)

baltimore has one of the higher rated o-lines in the game, including the highest rated offensive lineman in ogden. you were playing one of the top 5 teams in the game as i see it.

i also can't stress enough that you need to be patient in the run game and you need to convert timely 3rd downs. you may get stopped early in the run game, but if you can move the chains here and there you're going to wear down the D and start getting some better runs. always have a quick outlet receiver, be it a RB in the flats or a TE running a 5 yard out. try not to call plays that have receivers crossing each others paths unless you are getting time to allow them to clear and possibly get a natural pick on one of the defenders if they're playing man

SickBoy

I'm just hoping things improve, I do take it with a grain of "I'm out of practice" and knowing that I overcame my single-player futility quite nicely.. but big picture I'd say I'm somewhat down on this edition of Madden, even though I realize it's maybe the best yet in a lot of ways... there are a few very-near gamebreaking issues for me.

I think there are some things 2K8 did well that I hope EA cribs for 09 (stuff like pocket development, etc.... not the running game. I'd rather get stuffed)

FrenchMovieTheme said:
just like in real life! make sure your players aren't fatigued and their chance for injury goes down. injuries are part of the game. there were no injuries suffered in my first league game

Rudi=not fatigued (you'll see he had a total of 7 touches... might have tired him if they all came on one drive)

touchy subject. it shouldn't be abused but again if the line is getting to you what should you do? get sacked? call DE contain, prevents that from happening but leaves you vulnerable to runs

Didn't care for that...

you're playing the ravens? i had my way against them with frank. be sure to hit turbo as you hit the hole not while you're approaching it. also, mcgahee is overrated in this game.

Maybe the problem is that my line doesn't appear to create holes.... I definitely try to take that approach (also NeoGAF Madden Nation lies about it playing like offline... it's good, but timing and response isn't altogether there)

passing isn't broken at all, just call smart plays. ive had games with the niners where djax has had 7-10 receptions, or arnaz has 100 yards receiving. mix up plays, call some slants, some drags, some outs, see what is comfortable for you.

Yeah, it was just a question, but my experience thus far with the game has discouraged me from throwing. I'm deathly afraid of the middle, know better than to bomb it all the time (forced some in this game out of necessity), and also don't like hooks because they seem eminently jumpable by the D.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
SickBoy said:
Maybe the problem is that my line doesn't appear to create holes....
:lol Yup you're exactly right. The running game up the middle is COMPLETELY broken this year. There are about 4 backs that can fall for a few up the middle but other than that its pointless. Everyone pinches their line because the line can just bust through so practice running tosses. Or better yet say fuck the toss and just run HB screens. I substitute most all of my runs for HB screens now because at least then you get 3 yards at least as opposed to running and generally getting shit. I know the panthers aren't the best run blocking team but fucking christ its impossible and pointless. I hate running to the outside but its all you can do. Hell on quarter cover 3 I run up the middle and STILL don't get 3 yards. First I thought it was me but then I had a bunch of friends over and we just laughed watching quarter own runs up the middle.

Passing however isn't broken at all, and actually its spot on. If you make the pass, you get the catch and the yards. Its easier to play D and you just have to watch the routes you run. If your quarterback has a pussy arm then you might as well forget passing, and since the running game is broken you might as well forget that too. I didn't see which team you are but thank god for the david carr acquisition. For some reason the 4 points difference in Jake and David's arm makes HUGE difference. Jake just can't put the ball anywhere (which is almost completely accurate these days.)

Anyway moral of the story, Up the middle running is gone and way to easy to shut down, Tosses generally get broke up unless you have a fast back, run lots of HB screens for success, and short solid passes FTW. A more modified West Coast offense is necessary. Just cut the running game like the Eagles and use the screen like they do with westy.

maybe it's because i have a 90+ rated RB, but i have had success with HB dives, draws, and other middle hitters. the key is to use a mini juke and the right time to squeeze through the D. of course this leaves you prone to fumbling :/

running game has some issues but it's not broken. D-line is overpowered at times but if you are committed to running you will have success. 5 runs isn't going to get it done (or in vumplers case 1 run).

part of having a successful running game is having a successful defense. if you are down 14-0 early of course you're going to think of the run 2nd. play sound defense, get the ball back and go back to the running game. the pass will open up for you.

it may seem like i am just blindly defending the game but i'm honestly not having the problems that you guys seem to be having. not sure what else i can say!

Rorschach

I agree that the fatigue sometimes just makes no sense AT ALL. On defense, I'll have a backup come in for a red guy and he'll be yellow before he even gets a play in.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
maybe it's because i have a 90+ rated RB, but i have had success with HB dives, draws, and other middle hitters. the key is to use a mini juke and the right time to squeeze through the D. of course this leaves you prone to fumbling :/

running game has some issues but it's not broken. D-line is overpowered at times but if you are committed to running you will have success. 5 runs isn't going to get it done (or in vumplers case 1 run).

part of having a successful running game is having a successful defense. if you are down 14-0 early of course you're going to think of the run 2nd. play sound defense, get the ball back and go back to the running game. the pass will open up for you.

it may seem like i am just blindly defending the game but I'm honestly not having the problems that you guys seem to be having. not sure what else i can say!
It's not just you. I have a slow as molasses RB and I can run in between the tackles. He can't even juke properly, so I can't do that juke to bust free, but I get enough. People give up on the running game after getting 4 or 5 yards average, but that's about the norm for a good running attack. I'll never break one with Jordan since he's been hitting the the twinkies a bit much in this game, but I can manage enough yardage...and I BLOW at this game. Unless you're playing against the Bucs, Broncos, Bears, or Ravens. Those assholes don't let you run for shit. No matter what defense is called, they're in your face before you even get back to the line. I've been sacked on HB handoffs so many effin' times...and I just started today.

SickBoy said:
I'd be happy with a Jerome Bettis-esque "3.something" average run.

Just curious are you using the Bengals playbook? I haven't looked at it, but it might be worthwhile checking out a different one. Rudi should be able to get 3.something

vumpler said:
Anyway moral of the story, Up the middle running is gone and way to easy to shut down, Tosses generally get broke up unless you have a fast back, run lots of HB screens for success, and short solid passes FTW. A more modified West Coast offense is necessary. Just cut the running game like the Eagles and use the screen like they do with westy.

I don't agree with anything in this post. There are plenty of ways to run this year. You probably won't break a long touchdown often like last year, but you can certainly gain a decent amount of yards. Just got to keep at it like FMT said.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The key to this game is to have more points than the other team before the clock runs out. Everything else is secondary.

I'm here all day for more sage advice. :D

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, now that it's 6 minute quarters, can me and DM play a 4 minute game to see if we can break 120 yards of total offense????

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
New page!

As far as the running game goes, there are three major problems that make the running game terrible:

1) The overpowered D-Lines.
2) The terrible blocking AI, particularly from fullbacks.
3) The fumbling problem.

The D-Lines we all know about and all have issues with. They immediately get off blocks when they need to, and they are fast sometimes as fast as linebackers. It sucks really.

My main problem is the horrible blocking AI from the lead blocking fullback. I was playing Bob last night and more than a couple of times, the FB would run right by the incoming LB and let me get hammered. I've had a little more success running out of two TE singleback sets, but still, it is rather annoying when you can't run out of your RUNNING formations. I get better blocking from my WRs out in no man's land than from a position who's pretty much just their for blocking.

The fumbling is a bigger issue than most of us give it credit for. More often than not, when I hit the holes created by my line, I'm jamming on the protect ball button instead of the sprint button. I'm caught from behind or guys that have bad angles still tackle me anyway. I think it's a huge issue.

My bread and butter for as long as I have been playing in these leagues has been running the ball, and I feel that I can't do that reliably. I dunno, maybe it will come with time, but even with little success I still pound the ball 20+ times a game with 5 minute quarters, so it's not that I let the ground game go.

Wellington said:
The fumbling is a bigger issue than most of us give it credit for. More often than not, when I hit the holes created by my line, I'm jamming on the protect ball button instead of the sprint button. I'm caught from behind or guys that have bad angles still tackle me anyway. I think it's a huge issue.

I thought it was funny that I used rb/protect ball and still fumbled against livewire. It was recovered by me, but I was like holding it down for a while. Does it not just keep protecting the ball (ie let up after a couple seconds)?

Sellers does a good job blocking, but your right there are times where he'll let some guy just burst through. The one thing I hate is the qb getting sacked before the handoff. Lets be honest how often do you see that happen in real life?

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
sableholic said:
Lets be honest how often do you see that happen in real life?
Once every few years on a dive / draw. If its a bad snap then that changes things which madden doesn't have.

vumpler said:
Once every few years on a dive / draw. If its a bad snap then that changes things which madden doesn't have.

Yep. Sadly it happens a lot more frequently in madden. The center seems to just move out of the way for the DT.

SickBoy

I wish there were replays online... or that you could watch them post-game like you can in an offline game... just so I could see what my blockers are doing. I like to be sure I'm not tilting at windmills.

I played a game offline last night after venting here and replayed some of the questionable line stuff I thought happened. I had a good running game (and I seem to have far more success offline than on in that regard), but I suffered six sacks against the CPU (the CPU!).

I don't expect pass blocking to give me a wall every time, but I don't expect my left guard to shuffle back, turn inside to watch the centre's matchup while a tackle is running to his outside, then turn to his outside and watch as said tackle runs by him for the sack. That's bad AI. I also expect that when one side of my line is flooded, my blocker will at least get a chip on someone.

Top Bottom