• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden Season 10 Official Thread: I want you back for good!

Andokuky

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I am still perplexed by the ability of linemen to jump 10 yards both vertically and horizontally to swat down a ball I throw to a wide open receiver or TE running a corner route. Even with noodle arm, I should be able to complete that pass.

Aim the pass towards their head or chest :D

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
True I didn't look at my schedule, turns out I work tonight. I'll be home at 10CST. Play then?

Rorschach

Truelize said:
I run a lot though. :eek: I threw 16 passes and made 16 rushing attempts. That should work. Yes?
Wow...didn't realize you ran so few plays in a 6min quarter game. Ay caramba!

Cloudy said:
I can play tonight after football...

BTW, one thing I've noticed about the passing in this game is that you can't anticipate where the WR will be based on the route and throw there AT ALL. Either he's open or you will throw a pick :lol
The unfair part is that some QBs CAN do that...and some of us are stuck with QBs that can only throw straight (sometimes straight in the completely wrong direction!).

vumpler

Rorschach said:
The unfair part is that some QBs CAN do that...and some of us are stuck with QBs that can only throw straight (sometimes straight in the completely wrong direction!).
Which is bullshit. Any starting QB in the NFL should (as far as I know CAN) hit a WR on the run in full stride. Thats why they have this thing called practice... Now if there is some insane rush coming that's one thing. But a QB right in the pocket, straight over the middle, you should be able to lead them by 3 yards or w/e to hit them in stride.

I'm fully with the fact that Jake and Carr can't hit any of my receivers on a 20 yard post without it getting picked, I get that. He can't do that in real life but about 1 out of 15 attempts. So them not letting him do that in madden is perfect! But I throw to people just like everyone else is talking about, wide open, or on a quick slant and it teleports through them or over throws them by 5 yards the wrong way. Its just crap.

What gets me is that EVERY year it seems like they are so close to making the game perfect. Not perfect in the fact that its a complete NFL sim, but perfect in that there aren't any crap flaws like this. Oh well, It's still fun as hell :D

Slo

I think the problem may be that your feet aren't set or you're leaning on the left stick too much. TJack can't throw on the run for shit, but if you have time to stop, let him set up, and then throw you'll get much better accuracy.

Take it from me, I've got a 1:4 TD to INT ratio!

vumpler

Well in previous maddens when you lead someone the full leading direction on the stick would be the maximum that player can get to. Because in all honesty the QB knows how far they can lead their receiver and get them the ball. So by us leaning full on the stick that should be how you would lead someone on a full out sprint. I understand a small over though outside their reach or it hitting their hands and them dropping it but 10 yards? :lol

Oh well.

Mrbob

vumpler said:
Well in previous maddens when you lead someone the full leading direction on the stick would be the maximum that player can get to. Because in all honesty the QB knows how far they can lead their receiver and get them the ball. So by us leaning full on the stick that should be how you would lead someone on a full out sprint. I understand a small over though outside their reach or it hitting their hands and them dropping it but 10 yards? :lol

Oh well.

I like the current setup better because you can actually overthrow receivers by pressing too hard. It was too easy to hit receivers in stride last year, and from time to time QBs do miss their receivers on a timing pattern.

vumpler

Mrbob said:
and from time to time QBs do miss their receivers on a timing pattern.
Yeah I slightly addressed this in the post you quoted. The qb does miss them from time to time, but I don't feel that it should be up to us if we butcher the throw or not because on timing routes its hardly ever (maybe never) a 10 yard overthrow into another receiver. They do go off the receivers finger tips or into the ground etc.

It seemed more appropriate when the stick on full press was the very outside edge of where the throw could go and be completed. Now if by fully pushing on the stick they made it where you drop them more off your fingertips or something it would be more realistic.

It seems really damn hard to me to consistently push the stick 4/5th of the way to the left to put it in their range. The stick just isn't precise enough to me *shrugs.* But I have thumbs that feel half the size of the controller some times.

i don't know about the 4th down issue. i know what the rule is, and it's a vague rule. i blame myself for that obviously. did zep break a rule? technically, but i am not so naive to believe what he did was out of the realm of possibility. if you take the play out of context, you see a "hey he went for it on 4th!" in context? i don't know. maybe he was pinned back inside the 10 and worked his way to the tampa 43, only to stop the drive on a 4th and 3? i don't know about that, and i don't know that i wouldn't want to personally go for it myself as well.

unfortunately things aren't black and white in the game. you can't really gauge momentum with a number or the fact that you feel the game slipping away (despite being in the lead). so i'd like some input from everyone regarding going for it on 4th and whether that is a legitimate strategy.

Andokuky

Banned
In my opinion 4th and 3 on the 45 up by 3 points is easily a punt situation. You can pin them deep and if the score is 6-3 then your defense is obviously playing well.

Konex I should be good to go after the game depending on how late it is.

Cloudy

Banned
Rorschach said:

Leftwich and Gerrard are rated pretty good. I've tried both of them and I can't do ANY timing plays. So only Peyton and Brady can do this? The defense just seems to KNOW where the ball is going and they get there first :lol

daw840

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i don't know about the 4th down issue. i know what the rule is, and it's a vague rule. i blame myself for that obviously. did zep break a rule? technically, but i am not so naive to believe what he did was out of the realm of possibility. if you take the play out of context, you see a "hey he went for it on 4th!" in context? i don't know. maybe he was pinned back inside the 10 and worked his way to the tampa 43, only to stop the drive on a 4th and 3? i don't know about that, and i don't know that i wouldn't want to personally go for it myself as well.

unfortunately things aren't black and white in the game. you can't really gauge momentum with a number or the fact that you feel the game slipping away (despite being in the lead). so i'd like some input from everyone regarding going for it on 4th and whether that is a legitimate strategy.

I would say, in any situation, if you are 4th and short and it would be a 50-55 yd field goal (i.e. anywhere between the 35-40) it should be you option to go for it on 4th down.

Ramirez

DenogginizerOS said:
I am still perplexed by the ability of linemen to jump 10 yards both vertically and horizontally to swat down a ball I throw to a wide open receiver or TE running a corner route. Even with noodle arm, I should be able to complete that pass.

Linemen? I haven't seen any suspect linemen play, especially against the pass...

As far as the 4th down issue, would we even be havin' this convo had DM stopped it? I doubt it.

3 points isn't a big lead, especially against a good player. The kicking game has lag, it's extremely hard to place punts, and if you fuck up and allow a return I've yet to see a punt coverage successfully stop someone from getting a pretty good return. So you have to try to kick it out of bounds, which if you lag or mess up, you might have a field position change of 15-20 yards...and really, in that position I'd rather risk going for it...I say if you're around their 45, it should be up to your discretion if the game is close and it's late. I'm talking late 3rd and on, I don't think you should be going for it at all in the 1st/2nd quarters unless you're getting blew out.

I had a 4th and inches on like FMTs 20 yard line in the 1st, but went for the FG just out of principle of what I think would happen in RL. I mean yea, sometimes they'd go for it, but more often than not they'd just take the easy 3.

Ramirez said:
I had a 4th and inches on like FMTs 20 yard line in the 1st, but went for the FG just out of principle of what I think would happen in RL. I mean yea, sometimes they'd go for it, but more often than not they'd just take the easy 3.

I agree with the above. I always try and think what would they do in real life. Sadly we can't just make a honor rule like that. 4th and 5 is pretty far and generally teams only go for that in real life if they are down in the fourth. Just saying.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Rorschach said:
Wow...didn't realize you ran so few plays in a 6min quarter game. Ay caramba!

Yeah I've had a couple of that. X receiver on my left, he gets open, I hit X it throws to my RB receiver that is running a quick out on my right. Now I know Joey is gonna throw some ducks, but being nearly 180 degrees off on his delivery is a bit harsh.

And like Vump said, sure some QBs suck compared to Manning and Brady. But they are still in the NFL therefore they should have the skill to lead a receiver. Heck I could personally in real life hit them with a snowball so Joey should be able to hit them with a football. :)

Everyone stop calling your second rate QBs "Noodle Arm". I made that up for Joey. It's mine. Get your own joke :)

LukeSmith

DenogginizerOS said:
Pennington doesn't just throw it in the general direction of the other team, he throws to the other team with "precision passing". He is worthless like tits on a bull.

The fans are calling for kellen clemens!

Rorschach

Cloudy said:
Leftwich and Gerrard are rated pretty good. I've tried both of them and I can't do ANY timing plays.

So only Peyton and Brady can do this? The defense just seems to KNOW where the ball is going and they get there first :lol
Leftwich is probably rated that way overall (rocket arm?), but he doesn't have precision passing. He has like an 82 rating and Garrard has 81. Leftwich isn't one of the trouble QBs that throws to the complete opposite side of the field in the game at random times, though. All QBs can do the timing plays, just not with consistency. Leading plays are almost impossible.

Off the top of my head, I think Brees, Manning, Brady, Palmer, Rivers, Pennington, and Bulger can do it with consistency. I haven't played with every team.

This would all be a non-issue if they kept the cone...something you hated, ironically. :p

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Yeah I'm struggling a bit so far this season :(

Vump did nothing wrong. 80% of his points were on defensive TDs.

Quick rundown. My first drive was going ok. Had a couple of decent runs. Decided it was time to "unleash the Noodle". Well my next three passes were INTs and all returned for TDs. Yup 3 consecutive noodlebowl specials. Next drive I'm running the ball ok. Doing well enough with Dunn that he needs a breather, my backup is also elusive. Pitch him right, tackle, fumble. So in 4 possessions I run 6 plays. NICE.

The game was obviously done by that time.

- first two passes of the game I had WR duck the ball to allow the INT.
- Julius Peppers demonstrated his 48 inch vertical and grabbed a pass that he was way outta position for.
- I had two different passes hit my WR's hands bounce off and get INT by a second defender.

Them is the breaks. :)

Zep

Banned
52-6?! Couldn't call off the dogs there vump? :lol j/k

And True...I know a good playbook that should suit the Falcons...you want some help let me know.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Big Zep said:
52-6?! Couldn't call off the dogs there vump? :lol j/k

And True...I know a good playbook that should suit the Falcons...you want some help let me know.

Well if Vump could figure out how to make his defensive players not intercept the ball 6 times and recover 1 fumble then those dogs would have been called off.

No hard feelings against Vump at all.

Buffalo Bills at New England Patriots
Dallas Cowboys at Chicago Bears
Cincinnati Bengals at Seattle Seahawks
Minnesota Vikings at Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers at Greenbay Packers

those games haven't been played yet. i dont really want to look back the past 3 pages to see if any attempts at contact were made, but if you guys could comment on it now that would be cool. do you all have times set up or have some idea of when you'll play?

SickBoy

I've posted my availability in this thread. Haven't heard anything from Lonestar. As it stands, my availability is pretty limited and tonight would have been one of the better times. Early-ish Saturday is probably the best hope at this stage.

true, except i have a harder strength of schedule, better offense, and a better conference record. it stings doesn't it? bob said that division is already his so you should fight for a wildcard.

Rorschach

I think Bob has learned his lesson. If you have a high powered defense, just DMartyball your way to the post-season.
And choke in the playoffs.

Fifty

Ken Lucas scored 3 defensive touchdowns? That 52-6 game has to go down as the biggest defensive domination ever..It makes me sick to my stomach that it was down by a team other than my Ravens. At least it can be partially justified by the harder (IMO) passing this year and the insane d-line that the Panthers have

I think we're going to see some defensive records broken in this game. The bad games (INT, Sack wise, etc) seem to be worse than they were in previous years

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Has anyone gone 0-16 yet in a season?

I'm thinking I might have that happen to me this year.

Rorschach

Matrix said:
Has anyone gone 0-16 yet in a season?

I'm thinking I might have that happen to me this year.
I don't think anyone has...maybe the Saints did one year...[edit] Nope..saints won 3 games that year!

You gotta bring it for your next game! Shaub's triumphant return to ATL! Show them what they're missing out on!

Plus, you play me in week 9. Battle of the 67 teams!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
They might be rated 67,but I feel like I'm using a team rated in the 40's or something.

What pisses me off is this Texans team is should be better than any ive used before,I dont get it :(

I'm so used to having the deep ball and I dont have that with Schaub and with the CB spidey skillz ...

ive been exposed.

I also hate looking over at my opponents team and seeing double digit weapons and I have 3 total :lol

Fifty

You've got to find a way to use Andre Johnson, no matter how impossible it may seem. Motion..audibles..matchups..whatever. If you can't make at least one or two big plays with him I think you'll be fucked. Work on that and the rest will follow.

Hey, it's almost 6 am and I haven't been to sleep. Goodnight Madden league. Have a happy Friday

Matrix

I do a lot of audibles/hot routes with Johnson,but aslong as he's doubled im doomed.I guess I could put him in motion more.

Only thing I can take comfort in is that my two blow out losses were against the insane Panthers D and the Colts who lost the curse this year.

Now if im blown out by a Vick-less Falcons or the just as shitty Raiders...

I'm officially washed up.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Ramirez said:
Linemen? I haven't seen any suspect linemen play, especially against the pass...

Someone on the Dolphins' line pulled a King Kong and jumped from about a yard behind the LOS to about 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage and swatted a ball I tossed to a WIDE OPEN TE on a corner route who was well into the secondary. I had no pressure on me. It was one of those moments when you feel genuinely cheated.

And yes, no one on the Dolphins is 9'11'' and has a 96" vertical leap.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
SickBoy said:
I've posted my availability in this thread. Haven't heard anything from Lonestar. As it stands, my availability is pretty limited and tonight would have been one of the better times. Early-ish Saturday is probably the best hope at this stage.

I've been relatively busy, and not available at 11:30 CST to match the 9:30 PST.

And I've got a wedding to go to tomorrow, starts at 1 and it takes over an hour to get there...

How early are we talking here Sick?

vumpler

What actually justifies as a drop in madden? Because it seems like almost every game I have several plays i consider a drop and might end up with 1 at the end of the game.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Slo said:
Malley, I should be able to play tonight. You going to be around?

What time?? I get off at like 5 and may hit the gym sometime after... unless you can go like 5 Est? hit me on AIM

Top Bottom