• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden Season 10 Official Thread: I want you back for good!

Zep

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
seems that there is officially a curse on the #1 spot in power rankings. once you ascend to that spot, you lose shortly thereafter!

depends on the player(s)

daw840

Zep, I don't know if you saw my post earlier.....but, I don't have a 360 right now and I am using FMT's.....please let me know exactly when you want to play, cuz I live about 20 miles away from FMT and I need to know when to go over there and play you for week 6

Zep

Banned
daw840 said:
Zep, I don't know if you saw my post earlier.....but, I don't have a 360 right now and I am using FMT's.....please let me know exactly when you want to play, cuz I live about 20 miles away from FMT and I need to know when to go over there and play you for week 6

Damn, 20mi? Thats crazy for LA(or wherever the fuck fmt lives). What about tomorrow afternoon? During the week I wont be able to do shit.

daw840

Big Zep said:
Damn, 20mi? Thats crazy for LA(or wherever the fuck fmt lives). What about tomorrow afternoon? During the week I wont be able to do shit.

Yeah, he lives in Burbank and I live right by Santa Monica and Brentwood in LA. Tomorrow afternoon would probably not work out because my Chiefs are playing....but are you available during the week between 5:30 and 6:00 pm pacific time?

Zep

Banned
uhmm...Monday isn't good cause by the time you get off I'll be in class. Then i'll have HW for the next day of classes which will run into the morning. Wednesday is the only time I'm free for the week.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Fifty said:
Damn..

I saw you were up 6-0 at one point and thought we'd actually see a miracle. 3 defensive touchdowns given up would drive me insane.

The good news is, you're well on your way to a high pick in season 2 (although I'm not sure how team selection will work). The bad news? You've already got the team you wanted.

Yeah that does suck that I already have the team I want :) I know there is supposed to be no where to go but up when you are in a situation like this. But I'm not sure about that. 0 - 15 is a lot worse than 0 - 6.
I know it can feel worse though, cause every time I throw the football I'm convinced it's gonna be a pick. The game is just way too turnover prone. I'm cool with the occasional good read by the defense or whatever but when you get into a situation where almost half of the passes you throw are intercepted there might be something a tad wrong with the A.I.
It's not like Joey Harrington is that bad. I know he's bad compared to Manning but come on. The ball takes freakin forever to get to a receiver.

Now before everyone jumps in and says "well True you throw too many bad passes, you just suck at this game etc..." I know I'm no king. But I could do some major damage with Vick's arm. Joey is just broken. I think it might be time to try out my backup. Oh wait, his knee exploded i pre-season. :(

Rorschach

Ok...I'm less pissed now...man did that game suck. I lost because of a redzone non-fumble that the game wouldn't let me challenge. Fucking test your shit, EA. >:|

And for some reason, weapons were off for me the whole game...

And next I have Malleymal...:(

Kansas City Chiefs malleymal
at Tennessee Titans Fifty
Houston Texans matrixadw
Chicago Bears Mrbob2k6
at Minnesota Vikings SloForce
at Kansas City Chiefs malleymal
Denver Broncos Andokuky
at Greenbay Packers AZ Greg
Indianapolis Colts lukems
at Jacksonville Jaguars Cloudy
San Diego Chargers bluemax (

Raiders have such a stacked schedule. -_-

SickBoy

The thing about the passing game is that you can make a good read, but the defenders are psychic enough that it doesn't matter. That said, there are still openings to be found -- my completion percentage is actually decent, even though I've been pretty vocal about my concerns with the game. (I do have more INTs than TDs, though).

I think EA needs to start working, at least behind the scenes, on an AI system based on a player's vision (no, not vision cone)... I think that could make the game far more authentic, but I recognize that it's probably a huge undertaking.

i was talking with luke about this and i think part of the problem (not all) online at least is that the game is disgusing the lag that is there. you don't see it, but it's there. so for instance in my game against luke earlier i had a ball pass THROUGH my LB into the hands of harrisson. maybe the game isn't recognizing that the player is there, it's delayed so it doesn't hit him. i know this isn't the only explanation because crazy stuff has happened in single player too.

what i dislike about the passing game is that there are certain throws you can make in the NFL that you simply cannot make in this game. for instance, getting the ball in between the CB and safety in a zone (cb releases WR to safety) is impossible to complete here because the CB will always leap back and knock the ball away. another throw that is impossible is over a linebackers head. it just doesn't happen, the ball gets knocked down or picked.

another thing that sucks about the passing game is the closing speed by the defenders. i have one on one coverage, i loft a ball deep, and by the time it gets there i got 3 fucking guys with my WR. come on man there are few safeties in the league that have that kind of closing speed on the ball, its ridiculous.

but all told i still love the game. it is a big improvement from last year and if they can just fine tune the blocking and the spider senses on D we'll have a great game of football.

Zep

Banned
Whatever happened to double team blocking?! Talk about touting a feature that doesn't work. Next year, if they aren't smart enough to let us do on-the-fly blocking with our lineman(allow us to literally pick what we want each guy to do) I don't see the blocking being fixed.

Fifty

All good points. I'm eager to face Ando to see how he can pass so well. He's like the ying to my yang. I need to learn his secrets on beating the system!

clearly the next step is SOMETHING to do with the offensive line. they had a good first step in madden 06 when they'd let you shift your line protection but it needs to go beyond that. there needs to be a separate audible set and possibly PLAY set for the offensive line blocking. you should be able to pick man or zone blocking schemes, you should be able to spotlight a guy on the defensive line who you must block, you should be able to manually assign an offensive lineman to block whoever.

come on EA, you don't have to put an offensive lineman on the cover but get this shit taken care of.

I'm eager to face Ando to see how he can pass so well. He's like the ying to my yang. I need to learn his secrets on beating the system!

have a "spectacular catch" or "hands" receiver on your team and just chuck it up to him so he snags it :D

Zep

Banned
Fifty said:
All good points. I'm eager to face Ando to see how he can pass so well. He's like the ying to my yang. I need to learn his secrets on beating the system!

Bootlegs...

I never seen you play but I'd be fuckin stunned if you dont run a lot of them.

Andokuky

Banned
Fifty said:

Idk if you were being sarcastic or not but I am far from a great passer. Much like everyone else I have my good games and the games where spider sense D takes over, like my last game. I think I have only thrown 2-3 more TD's than INT's. Don't you have Young anyway? You're fucked in that department.

Rorschach

They should bring back the ability to direct blockers if they are gonna be this stupid. They usually skip the guy right in front of you and instead go for the dude 2 levels ahead in the open field. The safeties in the open field are the easiest to avoid. First, you need to get past those initial levels of LBs and defensive linemen.

Oh, and test your shit! (ok maybe I am still a little pissed)

Fifty

Andokuky said:
Idk if you were being sarcastic or not but I am far from a great passer. Much like everyone else I have my good games and the games where spider sense D takes over, like my last game. I think I have only thrown 2-3 more TD's than INT's. Don't you have Young anyway? You're fucked in that department.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm totally a run first person and I do it well, you're pass first. Together we'd dominate! Yeah..Young's not the most accurate passer, but I'm not complaining. That mixed with David Givens as my best reciever just might explain my lack of yardage

Rorschach

:lol Someone voted Raiders in the poll. <3

I voted 9ers (coin flip between them and Giants!) How weird is it that the NFC is most likely to win the Superbowl?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I used to be good at passing in Madden games,even without the long ball.This game makes me feel retarded,im lucky if I throw a td every now and then.Fmt basically summed up how I feel about the passing game this year.

When I play practice games with Fifty I get picked off left and right,7 times last game.I know Fifty is real good at D,top 3 in the league,but I dont recall throwing 7 ints a game/no tds in past madden games using f-ing Carr.

Hell I couldnt even throw a td against Konex,I managed to throw 3 ints! whoooo and the Texans D is a joke,I can have players double teamed and my team gives up the passes I cant seem to complete.They just dont react unless I manually take control of them at the last second.

I dont think i'll get over the fact they rated the Texans a 67,makes no sense.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Matrix said:
7 times last game.I know Fifty is real good at D,top 3 in the league,but I dont recall throwing 7 ints a game/no tds in past madden games using f-ing Carr.

Hell I couldnt even throw a td against Konex,I managed to throw 3 ints!

Exactly my feelings. I can understand throwing the occasional pick. But 3+ picks a game as an average? Come on now. With this years Madden there aren't any safe zones to depend on the average QBs and WRs. You can't even run quick outs this year. Slants can work at times but not if the DB is rated above average, and the slant isn't there unless the OLBs are blitzing. They react so damn quick if they are in zone. The defense just makes adjustments WAY too quick. Like FMT said, the DBs get back to the man they just dropped off in a zone too quickly. There is no respect to momentum at all. A player can move backwards faster than a receiver can move forwards. Add in the exceptional vertical leap that some defenders wind up having and you start to run out of options.

It's sad to see these issues because the run game finally works. The success I have had with Dunn this year is incredible, I just can't do anything to keep a drive going if I'm in a situation where I need to pass. I can run 10 times in a row then run a PA and watch the entire defensive secondary bite the PA fake, but by the time the ball is halfway to Crumpler running a corner route there are three freakin defenders around him. It defies all logic. What I saw Wellie's Giants do on that PA TE corner would have been impossible in real life. Add in the fact that defenders appear to be able to catch the ball through offensive players or that their route to the ball takes precedence over the receivers (defender intercepts due to the ball path changing dramatically once it gets close to the receiver) and it's easy to say that the pass game is broke.

On top of the issue regarding the defenders closing speed is their incredible acceleration when running an interception back for a TD. I've had defenders that were rated more than 10 points lower than Dunn in speed be able to out run him. That is frustrating. So not only do I have to simply worry about throwing a pick, I have to be afraid of the fact that it is very likely that the pick will be returned for a TD.

And yes I can see the lag online again this year. I know the game is missing frames when I'm hitting the button to pass and Joey isn't even starting his pass animation. I have been sacked many times when there was plenty of time for me to get the ball away before the contact and had Joey not do a thing. Just stands there and waits.

Pump fake takes way too long too.

I don't think we are ever gonna see these issues fixed with this game. The game engine itself just doesn't allow it. It's sad that no other developer can make a NFL game cause the team making Backbreaker have some really cool ideas and they are using that new physics engine that they made. I can't go into detail about it cause I don't recall everything but a guy from the development team was interviewed on the Sports Anomaly podcast. It sounds awesome what they are trying to go. Until each player on the field can act in dependently and react to physical contact properly we will never have a football game that doesn't have to make up for it's short comings with tricking programming.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Rorschach said:
They should bring back the ability to direct blockers if they are gonna be this stupid. They usually skip the guy right in front of you and instead go for the dude 2 levels ahead in the open field. The safeties in the open field are the easiest to avoid. First, you need to get past those initial levels of LBs and defensive linemen.

Oh, and test your shit! (ok maybe I am still a little pissed)
That's what I want too, but unfortunately, they will never get rid of the highlight stick to re-implement that feature. That thing was so awesome.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Cloudy said:
Is it just me or did they somehow tone down the fumbles? I know I hold RB on every run now but do I have to? :lol
I think they did too. Haven't really held RB while running in a few games.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
BTW I played Madden 08 for PS2 last night against some friends. They made me pick the Raiders and the Cards in my two games. The game was SO SLOW. When playing as the Raiders I sat in cover 3, when the ball was passed I switched to the defender in the area and manually picked the ball every time. I ended up with 7 picks. :lol

the games AI is cheating at times but there is no way you shoudl consistently be throwing 4-7 picks. know the throws you can make and the throws you can't make. then again you are playing w/ the falcons :/

Fifty

If you look at the stats, the only team that's averaging more than 2 (defensive) INTs a game is the Pats. Asante Samuel has about 20 interceptions, all of them made blindfolded. If you look past that, the numbers aren't that bad overall.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Mrbob said:
I blame FMT for putting me first in the rankings! I told him not to do it, but he did it anyway!

Last time i was first in the rankings i lost two straight. :/

Looks like it will be the same again this year.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Gunstar77 said:
GG DenogginizerOS, you play alot better then your record shows. You must of lost a few games on bad breaks because you played me tough.

Thanks Gun. I am trying to be competitive with noodlearm.

Ramirez

Rorschach said:
How weird is it that the NFC is most likely to win the Superbowl?

CorsoLee%20SMALL%20BW.jpg

Not so fast, my friend!

Fifty

Play some games tonight people! I've got a family to feed!

and don't reply with "I would if the league would just advance" just don't

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
FrenchMovieTheme said:
the games AI is cheating at times but there is no way you shoudl consistently be throwing 4-7 picks. know the throws you can make and the throws you can't make. then again you are playing w/ the falcons :/

I don't have a problem when I use Vick. It's Joey that makes the whole equation add to zero.

Fifty

daw840 said:
I would if my Xbx would not have RRODed

Yeah, I know about that. I'm sorry and I wasn't expecting you to. I was just reminding the people who can play to play because I'm an impatient asshole.

Fifty said:
Play some games tonight people! I've got a family to feed!

and don't reply with "I would if the league would just advance" just don't

Just giving a update on mine and AZ's game. He was really busy today so we weren't able to get it in yet. I'm hoping for tomm, but we'll see.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
That sonofabitch is probably hammered and with 5 whores celebrating the Packer destruction of the Giants today.

At least I have Madden to whoop on people with. :(

Rorschach

Wellington said:
Malley just took the wood out on me. Int return TD x 2, punt return TD, kick return TD, shit!
Shit! I get him next, too. -_-

I'm doooooooomed! Like I said, that game is a double loss. :[

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wonder if I should just pm Dammitmatt, to meet up and play our game live. He's only 30 minutes down the road! Then we could fight after I laugh about Mississippi State! :lol :lol

Top Bottom