• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden Season 10 Official Thread: I want you back for good!

LukeSmith

Mrbob said:
All in the past! Greaseball future is now here, resurrection for my team about to commence!

PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS?
mora_jim0108.jpg

Andokuky

Banned
Shawnwhann said:
Let's agree to keep this discourse civil Ando...

Like I mentioned, I have a unique perspective given the amount of games I've played vs individuals that play as DEs on defense. I'd think you would agree that I'm more qualified to speak to said issue given your admission you haven't played elite DEs...so I am baffled by your outspoken support given your admitted lack of experience with the scenario in question.

To your second point, again as someone that plays both DE controlled players and regular LB/DT/S players, I strongly disagree. I can open up the whole playbook without worrying about line issues that permeate the game. Sure i get sacked here and there, but it tends to happen more when d-line play is being manipulated by a user.

Well I said I haven't played elite DE user's not elite DE in general. I have played many of the elite DE's this season, some of which were controlled by users but I think the only "elite" DE user here is probably Wellington unless someone else has really stepped their game up from previous seasons. Furthermore I've been in other 08 leagues, I have plenty of experience with people manually using a defensive end.

My point is that there is so much broken with the blocking and defense with this game that keeping someone off of the DE position won't make any difference and would probably in fact make matters worse. Unless people are purposely looping around the lineman to generate easy pressure, if the AI isn't blocking great then oh well, thems the breaks this year imho.

Lets take something you said in particular. You say PA is a lot of your offense and now you can't run it because of pressure. Well, if we aren't allowed to control that end then the AI is just going to get sucked into the RB on every PA attempt leaving you wide open to get a pass off. How does that make the game any better or more realistic?

Of course you're going to get sacked more with a user on the defensive line, but isn't that kind of the point? I mean... I'm much more likely to throw an incomplete pass or an interception if I try to throw to the middle and a user controlled LB is there as opposed to an AI player. Wellington is just damn good with Strahan and it's been that way for years. The blocking AI is pretty much garbage this year but that doesn't make what he is doing suddenly questionable or wrong imho. So you have to change your gameplan, so does everyone else. When I play the Chargers I am gearing more for the run. When I play the Colts I am gearing more for the pass. When I am going up against the Steelers I run more 2-3 route plays and keep as many people as possible in the block that overrated defense.

I remember in Madden 06 FMT was godly with the stick skills at safety. So I just didn't throw his way, unless I was using Kyle Boller, in which case I really had no control over which way I was throwing. It's all about adjustments.

Andokuky

Banned
I got Andre Hall at HB in the update. Who the hell is this guy? I think I am benching Henry in favor of Young. He's quicker and that seems to be all you need in this Madden.

Glenn Martinez future finally here!

LukeSmith

Andokuky said:
I got Andre Hall at HB in the update. Who the hell is this guy? I think I am benching Henry in favor of Young. He's quicker and that seems to be all you need in this Madden.

Glenn Martinez future finally here!

Not actually trolling, but did Henry get cleared of the drug allegations? I thought he was about to get punted from the league in real life.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Shawnwhann said:
Maybe it's just me, but I'd think that someone's critique on an issue with the game should have more credibility if that player is one that is doing pretty well. This isn't a case of sour grapes or personal vendettas, but rather helping the league get to a place where every game feels like a fair shake for every player.

So I'm not doing anything else well? And all the other guys that use DEs are just doing it wrong?

Let me guess, you disagree with my two questions.

Rorschach

LukeSmith said:
Not actually trolling, but did Henry get cleared of the drug allegations? I thought he was about to get punted from the league in real life.
He appealed and they can't give him the boot while his case is under appeal.

Andokuky

Banned
LukeSmith said:

He appealed because when they tested his B sample, he tried to have an expert there on his behalf (which players are allowed) but the NFL refused to allow it so Henry is appealing based on the fact that the league broke their own policy. Or that's the way I read it on some website. Until the appeal process is over he can't be kicked out.

You get 3 strikes in a year period and he was a week away from having his previous 2 strikes cleared. What a moron.

Andokuky said:
He appealed because when they tested his B sample, he tried to have an expert there on his behalf (which players are allowed) but the NFL refused to allow it so Henry is appealing based on the fact that the league broke their own policy. Or that's the way I read it on some website. Until the appeal process is over he can't be kicked out.

You get 3 strikes in a year period and he was a week away from having his previous 2 strikes cleared. What a moron.

Actually the reason his guy was not allowed to be there is because he worked for a lab or something. I believe that its in the policy that anybody besides those people are allowed.

Edit:
"In his court case, Henry is claiming that the NFL violated its own substance abuse policy by not allowing his experts to be on hand when the urine sample was tested. The NFL, according to the sources, is contending the rules are clear that players can have their own expert present for testing, as stated in the league's CBA, but that the expert cannot be affiliated with a lab or testing service and that the expert Henry wished to use was affiliated with a lab."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5721614,00.html

bluemax

Banned
Andokuky said:
bluemax and Slo I don't remember when you guys said you can play but I'm free all day and maybe tonight. Also maybe Friday night a little or Sunday. When is the deadline to finish all 16 games?

How about 5pm PST?

Fifty said:
I think we've had so few complaints about it that if it were put to a vote, we'd still be able to use them. The sack leaders in the league are mostly controlled by the AI. More sacks happen because the QB is stupid or weird things happen at the line rather than user controller sacks. No one bitches about CK's play and he's used a DE for years now.

Shawn, are you complaining about your game with Gunstar? You out-sacked him 7 to 3 and you're still on a 10 game winning streak. Maybe you should save your energy.

In other more fun news..I just noticed that the Chargers have 17 weapons, including 3 'spectacular catch' weapons. Ando is frothing at the mouth right now.

Most of them are lame. Sproles has speed and I've never once seen it activate. Turner has trucking and it only shows up sometimes and never when I need it. Rivers has accuracy but fuck me if he's actually accurate.

The only ones that are Legit: LT, Merriman, Williams, Castillo, Neal, the left side of my Oline, Phillips. Even Gates' weapons are a mixed bag.

Wellington said:
So I'm not doing anything else well? And all the other guys that use DEs are just doing it wrong?

Let me guess, you disagree with my two questions.

I think you need to re-read my excert you quoted. I wasn't referencing you in my feedback to Fifty's remark....

I don't mean to sidestep the points and questions you bring up, but in some cases they are irrelevant to what we are actually talking about.... For example when we were discussing line play, you go into a spiel about all the Maddenisms that annoy you including making a claim about how TEs should be coverable by users...

Again I don't know why you are taking this so personally as if I am only making commentary about you. You are not the only guy that can manufacture pressure with your player. If that was the case, there would not be an issue as you would stand alone as king of your de domain. You are easily the highest profile user given your tenure and record this year, and I imagine that is why this is hitting so close to home for you.

And Ando, I'll reply to you later tonight when I'm out of work. My feedback will be substantial so stay tuned...

MrBob,

Are you available to play our Week 17 game in the next hour or so? I'm out of town this weekend so I need to get my last two games in ASAP.

True,

Let me know when you get a working system!

I hardly ever ever have anything bad to say about anyone, but Slo are you serious?

rules said:
* Expanding on the above, i know rolling out of the pocket is a touchy subject. Yes, it is difficult to defend a fast QB who is always scrambling away from pressure. What do you want me to do about that? "No, you can't get out of the pocket. Stay in the pocket and get sacked." No. There is a difference between abusing scrambling and just not getting sacked. Again, I say don't ABUSE scrambling QB's and don't scramble out of the pocket at the start of every play. But are designed QB rollouts OK? Is scrambling away from pressure OK? Yes!

I understand avoiding the pressure, I get that. I understand rolling out once in a while, but every single play. Let me repeat that for emphasis, EVERY SINGLE PASSING PLAY. And then dumping it off to the back or hitting the crossing routes. I can't say I've ever felt cheesed playing madden (aside from vumpler maybe) but you took the cake. Heck I left the game early just to post about it. Congrats on gaining your division lead. I know winning is important, but man with peterson you dont need to do that crap. I gotta admit I was warned about it, and should have been better prepared but still.

Slo

I'll leave it up to the commishes. I played FMT, and Fifty ran VY for 1000 yards this season. Let them decide.

Slo said:
I'll leave it up to the commishes. I played FMT, and Fifty ran VY for 1000 yards this season. Let them decide.

I played Fifty and he didn't do what sable described above.

However....Fifty, I'm still pissed about that BS Young 40-yard scramble where he ducked three rushers and broke a few tackles to set up your game-winning field goal :D

Fifty

Personally I've never faced someone who does what Sable describes, and that includes myself, so I can't comment on whether or not it was cheese. I guess technically it'd be against the rules but I'm not sure.

Most of the time when I scrambled out of the pocket and would attempt to throw a cross pattern (not often) I'd usually throw a pick or get sacked before the throw could be completed. That's not exactly an advantage..so I'm really not the man to talk to.

Slo said:

i.e. I will continue to do so as long as I can get away with it. You don't deny doing it every single passing play. You don't deny that its against the rules. Unbelievable.

One of your former opponents even told me specifically:
"he is going to scramble on every passing play. i dont mean on some passing plays, i dont mean on 80% of passing plays. i mean every single time he dropped back he scrambled out of the pocket"

LukeSmith

sableholic said:
I hardly ever ever have anything bad to say about anyone, but Slo are you serious?

I understand avoiding the pressure, I get that. I understand rolling out once in a while, but every single play. Let me repeat that for emphasis, EVERY SINGLE PASSING PLAY. And then dumping it off to the back or hitting the crossing routes. I can't say I've ever felt cheesed playing madden (aside from vumpler maybe) but you took the cake. Heck I left the game early just to post about it. Congrats on gaining your division lead. I know winning is important, but man with peterson you dont need to do that crap. I gotta admit I was warned about it, and should have been better prepared but still.

I haven't played Slo, but I played Fifty twice and in 2 games he ran for a grand total of 57 yards (28 in game 1, 29 in game 2), I just came up with defensive packages designed to take away that part of his offense. Was there something Slo did that made that impossible? Oh shit he's not running with TJax, nevermind then.

Continue drama-izing.

Slo

dammitmattt said:
I played Fifty and he didn't do what sable described above.

However....Fifty, I'm still pissed about that BS Young 40-yard scramble where he ducked three rushers and broke a few tackles to set up your game-winning field goal :D

It is what it is. I don't deny a thing, infact I roll out to create angles for my passes, as my 77 rated QB has no touch or accurarcy, and my 75ish rated receivers get no serparation.

For what it's worth sable, I thought you played a good game, escecially for losing Portis almost immediately.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Does Konex still scramble on every single passing play?

Fifty

LukeSmith said:
I haven't played Slo, but I played Fifty twice and in 2 games he ran for a grand total of 57 yards (28 in game 1, 29 in game 2), I just came up with defensive packages designed to take away that part of his offense. Was there something Slo did that made that impossible? Oh shit he's not running with TJax, nevermind then.

There's a difference beteween my game (try to rush with VY) and his. When I was scrambling I would look at most of my recievers and see they had no seperation, so I'd continue running upfield. I don't know how Slo's tactic gives him an unfair advantage, aside from the fact that it's against the rules, technically.

Maybe I just don't understand how this strategy works. I've scrambled with Young and Gerrard and it usually gives me more trouble than just staying in the pocket. The last thing my opponents would call it is cheese. That's not to say that Slo can't excecute it better so that it gives him an unfair advantage, I just can't picture it. That's all I can say.

LJ11

Slo said:
It is what it is. I don't deny a thing, infact I roll out to create angles for my passes, as my 77 rated QB has no touch or accurarcy, and my 75ish rated receivers get no serparation.

For what it's worth sable, I thought you played a good game, escecially for losing Portis almost immediately.

Vikings have some pretty fast WR's so how are they not getting seperation? They're not the Raiders.

LukeSmith

Fifty said:
There's a difference beteween my game (try to rush with VY) and his. When I was scrambling I would look at most of my recievers and see they had no seperation, so I'd continue running upfield. I don't know how Slo's tactic gives him an unfair advantage, aside from the fact that it's against the rules, technically.

Maybe I just don't understand how this strategy works. I've scrambled with Young and Gerrard and it usually gives me more trouble than just staying in the pocket. The last thing my opponents would call it is cheese. That's not to say that Slo can't excecute it better so that it gives him an unfair advantage, I just can't picture it. That's all I can say.

Yeah I don't think scrambling with Vince Young is cheese at all, I was just scared of him like a small girl so I probably over committed to stopping him. I haven't played Slo, I'd be interested to see this in action tho.

Slo

If Luke and/or Fifty want to play me and sniff for cheese, that's fine. I absolutely roll out of the pocket and quite often. Most of the time they are play action rollouts, because I run A TON of PA. Other times they are not. I do this because:

1) It fits my personel.
2) I want the the defense to dedicate a spy.
3) It creates favorable passing lanes and angles.
4) It's an outside compliment to my inside running game, and keeps people from stacking their defense to stop inside runs.

There are several ways to mess my shit up, as my 6 losses would indicate. But I've played this way the entire season, and all 9 of my wins are based on this strategy.

Bottom line, I play what I feel is sim ball for my personel. If the league disagrees, I'll forfeit all 9 of my wins. I don't want to make the playoffs as a cheeser.

Slo said:
If Luke and/or Fifty want to play me and sniff for cheese, that's fine. I absolutely roll out of the pocket and quite often. Most of the time they are play action rollouts, because I run A TON of PA. Other times they are not. I do this because:

1) It fits my personel.
4) It's an outside compliment to my inside running game, and keeps people from stacking their defense to stop inside runs.

There are several ways to mess my shit up, as my 6 losses would indicate. But I've played this way the entire season, and all 9 of my wins are based on this strategy.

Bottom line, I play what I feel is sim ball for my personel. If the league disagrees, I'll forfeit all 9 of my wins. I don't want to make the playoffs as a cheeser.

Question - does any team in the NFL run PA rollout plays for every passing play? We're going for a sim league, right?

Slo

dammitmattt said:
Question - does any team in the NFL run PA rollout plays for every passing play? We're going for a sim league, right?

I sure wish the Vikings would. Seems like the perfect compliment to a tailback that's got everybody scared shitless. But Brad Childress is probably on your side.

Rorschach

I'm not scared of Half-Day Peterson. I eat pieces of shit like him for breakfast. I call it "Frosted Shitflakes Breakfast of Champions™."

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ror, play a game against me, I cannot connect with Striker, and I want to make sure that I can at least connect with someone

Striker

Me and Lonestar's having connection issues. I played my previous game vs. Saints/dammitmatt with no problems whatsoever. I didn't have problems before with him back in the early weeks, though.

Scrimmage try, somebody?

LukeSmith

Slo said:

1) It fits my personel.

I'll just scrim you for fun, I ain't the cheese police. Only time I played against the Vikes was with Rors punishing me with AP

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Just played a game with Sable, where I used DT Fred Robbins.

Robbins: 3 Tackles, 3 TFL, 2 sacks
Strahan: 4 Tackles, 3 TFL, 2 sacks
Cofield: 3 Tackles, 1 TFL, 1 sack
Osi: 2 Tackles, 1 TFL, 1 sack

:lol

DT play now cheap.

Wellington said:

DT play now cheap.

I want old DE wellie back :lol . Granted I was passing a lot more trying to work out kinks like I mentioned earlier, but damn robbins abused randy thomas. and by robbins i mean you

I see why you're laughing Ramirez but at least Slo is taking responsibility for his game and offering a chance to Sable to get another game in. Slo is showing some character for taking the criticism on the chin, and trying to make it right.....while I dont approve the play style he described I applaud him for offering a rematch.

Rorschach

Wellington said:

DT play now cheap.
Don't ruin this for me, Wellie! Sapp and I got a good thing going! >:|

Top Bottom