• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia: Definitive Edition |OT| You never show me any respect....

Siri

Banned
So, I hate to say it, because I loved the second game, and actually liked the third a lot, but the remake is exactly what I thought it was going to be, but was kind of hoping it wouldn’t, which is a B-title.

The previous games, for their respective times, were all big budget titles. This remake feels like it was made by far fewer people - the detail just isn’t there. I’m leaning towards a refund. I’ll try again later tonight, but my first hour left me cold.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot this was coming out today. Picking it up on GMG.

Eric187

Banned
I’ve never played any mafia games before but I’m interested in this. Just wondering is this like GTA where you can just explore the city and do side activities or is it just story based?

Denton

So, I hate to say it, because I loved the second game, and actually liked the third a lot, but the remake is exactly what I thought it was going to be, but was kind of hoping it wouldn’t, which is a B-title.

The previous games, for their respective times, were all big budget titles. This remake feels like it was made by far fewer people - the detail just isn’t there. I’m leaning towards a refund. I’ll try again later tonight, but my first hour left me cold.

This is a completely bizzare post to me. I have 6 hours in it and it is as AAA as games get. It is not a faithful remake, but it is a new game inspired by the original, and great.

Siri

Banned
This is a completely bizzare post to me. I have 6 hours in it and it is as AAA as games get. It is not a faithful remake, but it is a new game inspired by the original, and great.

For me, the game just has this weird feeling that not enough people worked on it. It feels like a recycled game that was rushed.

Like I said, I’ll try again tonight. I only played for an hour. This is a title, btw, that I wanted to love. Games either excite me or they don’t. My first hour was not exciting. I can’t lie about that. It’s just how I felt.

Why is that completely bizarre, btw? Do you actually believe that everyone is going to think and feel the same way about everything?

IMO, ‘that’s’ bizarre.

Denton

For me, the game just has this weird feeling that not enough people worked on it. It feels like a recycled game that was rushed.

Like I said, I’ll try again tonight. I only played for an hour. This is a title, btw, that I wanted to love. Games either excite me or they don’t. My first hour was not exciting. I can’t lie about that. It’s just how I felt.

Why is that completely bizarre, btw? Do you actually believe that everyone is going to think and feel the same way about everything?

IMO, ‘that’s’ bizarre.

Ok, you have a weird feeling. Cool.

Stuart360

DSP just beat the racing mission first time lol. Typical DSP, fail at the easiest of things, one shot the stuff most people struggle with.

makaveli60

Anybody playing on Xbox One X? If so, how's it running? That's what I decided to get it on.

That looks awesome. Absolutely sucks this is not getting a release in the US. I had to order from Amazon UK (just shipped out last night) so it'll be a few days until I get mine.
Yep, and the pics don't even do it justice. It looks much better in person. You won't regret it, trust me.

On the game:
I don't know where to start honestly. The original game is quite special to me, I almost remember all its missions, even if I played it 17-18 years ago. It's one of the most memorable games in my life. I was very happy when they announced the remake and when I saw how good it looks. But then I started seeing videos and I realized that the characters are not exactly the same in this remake, mostly Tommy. That had me worried but after finishing the hotel mission, I must admit, I like this new take on his character too. This way at least it provides a different experience and we are not replaying the exact same game. It's not better or worse, just different. And I like it. It has a ton of additional dialogs and cutscenes that really adds to the story. Seeing the intro with the original theme gave me a very good nostalgic feeling that made me think "who's cutting onions :)". The game oozes with atmosphere, I didn't expect this much care about the city and environment, as this is not a "real" open-world game but this was truly a love letter for the first game by the devs. I feel like they really wanted to do justice to the game and they delivered. Regarding the open-world aspect, it's so, so refreshing playing such a game not filled with filler bullshit but only unique linear story missions that made me realize I forgot how good were these old games. More of this, please! The graphics... This is also surprising but this is one of the best looking open-world games ever IMO. Driving through the city and just watching the environment and vehicles is a joy. Technically it's a bit janky (just like the original) but the feeling it provides makes you forget that. Also HDR implementation is awesome. Indoors look just as awesome as outdoors. The music is also very good, though I would be glad if I could hear the old songs as well sometimes. Classic gameplay mode is here too ;) The nightmare race was a joy here :)
Huge bonus: no SJW/leftist bullshit so far! That's the most refreshing thing in nowadays AAA gaming.

TLDR
It's a love letter to the original game, an old school game for old school players. If you liked the first, don't hesitate, buy it. You won't regret it!

Last edited:

Komatsu

I don't know how anyone can play the game and think it looks cheap. Yes, it's a remake of a 2002 and it's correspondingly sparse and the free-roam/mission mode division is thoroughly outdated. That said, the game looks absolutely gorgeous.

DDw0rl9.jpeg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
completed up to the church mission on classic difficulty, everything simulation. Had to switch from manual tranny to auto to beat the race. Had to turn on aim assist to beat the church section. Otherwise so far so good. The atmosphere is just amazing. I never played all the way through the original, but Mafia 2 is one of my favorites.

Trying to find as many collectibles as I can. Also spending a ton of time just exploring the environments.

Longcat

I'm hoping someone comes up with a fix to get it running on Win7 within the next two weeks (yes, I'm one of those guys. I get that Win7 is no longer supported by MS, but it runs fine in Win8 from what I read, and apparently it has something to do with Denuvo) or I'm gonna refund it.

aries_71

What do you mean by the detail isn’t there? Played the first few chapters and city, cars and models look very detailed. In fact I would say it looks better than most games in its genre.

Denton

Just finished Omerta. It is nice that it was possible to do it stealthily without firing a shot.

Great game. Not super faithful remake, but great game nonetheless.

Concern

How does this run on base ps4? Lots of pop in, frame drops, or anything like that?

I downloaded the game but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Esppiral

The gameblooks amazing in still shots, but it motion I find it kinda blurry and with lots of ghosting I am playing it on the X, does anyone know at what resolution the game is running? Looks like 1080p max

Armorian

Banned
The gameblooks amazing in still shots, but it motion I find it kinda blurry and with lots of ghosting I am playing it on the X, does anyone know at what resolution the game is running? Looks like 1080p max

Ghosting is side effect of TAA, many games have this problem and it usually softens IQ too.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Should I play now or wait for series X. I played the orignal.

Last edited:
To be honest I think it looks miles better in motion on PC than on screenshots. I'm playing on max settings in 4k and it hovers around 50-60FPS. Very smooth with Gsync on.
I really don’t want to finish the game. Already 10 hours in and enjoying every second of it. They did a great job with the remake
Same here. I'm playing in short sessions (1-2 missions at the time) because I don't want it to end.

Last edited:

Albion

Anyone have any thoughts on if it's worth checking out the original Mafia on GOG? Or is it a little outdated now.

Senua

Anyone have any thoughts on if it's worth checking out the original Mafia on GOG? Or is it a little outdated now.
I still adore the original, but I do have deep nostalgia for it also. Not sure how it would fare for fresh players haha.

It's a seriously challenging game at points, which I personally love.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

What do you think of the writing of "Sarah", "The Whore and The Priest"?
How were the missions and the writing in the missions?

Never played a Mafia game, other than the Mafia 2 demo years ago, but decided to pick this up. Downloading on Steam now.

Last edited:

Paasei

How long is this game even if you only play the missions? There's too little I still know about this game which is why I didn't get it (yet).

xrnzaaas

I think I've read it's in the neighborhood of 10hrs if you don't get too distracted.

I've finished it in about 10.5 hours on normal. I was doing some sightseeing, but I wasn't trying to explore the whole city or find all of the collectibles in my first run.

It might not seem like a lot, but the story is still extremely good and the gameplay in the remake is very good as well. I'll take a good 10 hour story-focused game over a 50 hour bloated one. :)

Last edited:

nowhat

I'll take a good 10 hour story-focused game over a 50 hour bloated one.
Truer words never have been spoken. I'm so with you.

Say you go to see a movie. If it's a blockbuster title, on a weekend, those are really more expensive than you'd want. Because you want of course that most "hi-fi" version of everything. So it can be like 15€ for two hours. One and done, no refunds, no repeats. If I get over eight hours of gameplay for 60€, it's a much better deal IMHO. You can also replay it, if you so choose. I still haven't finished the game, but really liking it so far. And it's only 40€.

I like me some linear, story-focused experiences dammit. I don't care if it's open world, I don't care if I can spend countless hours with it (while doing similar repetitive tasks over and over). And this game doesn't waste your time, if you're so inclined you can skip many of the non-essential driving sections. Have I used that option ever so far, no. It's fun to drive around listening to 30s jazz or news reports. But the fact the option is there is something I really appreciate.

Siri

Banned
I don't know how anyone can play the game and think it looks cheap. Yes, it's a remake of a 2002 and it's correspondingly sparse and the free-roam/mission mode division is thoroughly outdated. That said, the game looks absolutely gorgeous.

DDw0rl9.jpeg

I’m playing the PC version on an RTX 2080 TI at max settings at 4K on an LG C9, and I’ve not seen anything like this.

Top Bottom