• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia: Definitive Edition |OT| You never show me any respect....

MacReady13

Purchased the trilogy on One X and starting with the original first. I've never played any of these games so I'm going in fresh and, about 5 hours in, I absolutely love it!
Game looks stunning. I've always wanted to live in prohibition era Chicago/New York, and this game represents it beautifully.
The script is great. Missions are enjoyable and quite memorable and the acting is fantastic. I remember when the original came out it didn't review all that great (from memory) but people I knew who played it simply adored it. I now know why.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It is very rough around the edges for sure.

I don't understand how people are saying this game is gorgeous unless you are maybe playing on a high end PC. People seem to be fooled by lighting and reflections. Graphics and animations a little are sub par for an end of gen remake. I'm playing on a Pro and as I've said in this thread before, I'm enjoying the story but the game overall is a little disappointing, I expected higher production quality.
Because budget was pretty low, based on what I've been told from OG team, it was not a huge priority for 2k. The narrative was that it has to be released as a trilogy, because Mafia 1 on itself would not sell. It was some form of "passion project" for people in former 2k Czech (2/3 of Hangar 13). That's also the reason why the other 2 games are such low effort deals. But I don't know the budget.

Mista

Banned
Purchased the trilogy on One X and starting with the original first. I've never played any of these games so I'm going in fresh and, about 5 hours in, I absolutely love it!
Game looks stunning. I've always wanted to live in prohibition era Chicago/New York, and this game represents it beautifully.
The script is great. Missions are enjoyable and quite memorable and the acting is fantastic. I remember when the original came out it didn't review all that great (from memory) but people I knew who played it simply adored it. I now know why.
I envy you! You’re going to have a great journey. Enjoy!

RNG

Yeah it’s definitely got a budget feel to it. I would have gladly paid a bit more for full retail price if they had pumped more money into the game. I wish this game had DLSS, the TAA in this game is alright could be a lot more crisp, although it’s not the worst, that award goes to FFXV.

Denton

I remember when the original came out it didn't review all that great (from memory)

Your memory is faulty, the PC original reviewed extremely well (for example, 9.3 on gamespot by Erik Wolpaw, who then went on to write several games for Valve..). The scores were universally positive and it won some GOTY awards, for its time Mafia was years ahead of its time (and frankly, it is still more advanced in some respects than the remake).

Console version of Mafia was lower rated though, they had to butcher it significantly to make it fit into PS2 and Xbox limited memory.

Roufianos

Not one to jerk off to pixels but Sarah must be best looking woman that I've seen in a game in years.

Probably because her design goes back to the days before game developers decided that attractive women don't exist.

HotPocket69

Banned
Not one to jerk off to pixels but Sarah must be best looking woman that I've seen in a game in years.

Probably because her design goes back to the days before game developers decided that attractive women don't exist.

How many nuts have you busted into your anime pillow so far?

HotPocket69

Banned
I have three missions to go and I really don’t want it to end. It’s such a perfect length. As stated before, I’ll take a solid 10-12 hour tale in a big open city like this than one bloated 50 hour jaunt where 40 of it is bullshit and needless fluff.

Will prob be in my top 5 for the year.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Are the collectibles different than the original? I never played it, but I know 2 had different magazines as did 3.

I do

Anyways I figured out that Fullscreen locks it at 60fps, so I had to use Borderless Windowed.
This is a Windows 10 and "Fullscreen Optimizations" issue. If you set it to fullscreen and when you adjust volume, you see an overlay for the Windows volume pop-up over the game, then you're not actually running in fullscreen. Disable fullscreen optimizations for the game's exe and then you'll see this 60hz problem disappear. This is why I wish we had a global toggle method to disable it completely. It's such a pain in the dickhole.

MacReady13

Your memory is faulty, the PC original reviewed extremely well (for example, 9.3 on gamespot by Erik Wolpaw, who then went on to write several games for Valve..). The scores were universally positive and it won some GOTY awards, for its time Mafia was years ahead of its time (and frankly, it is still more advanced in some respects than the remake).

Console version of Mafia was lower rated though, they had to butcher it significantly to make it fit into PS2 and Xbox limited memory.

It must have been the console versions I was thinking of reviewing poorly as my friends who owned it on PC loved it.

HotPocket69

Banned
Mafia 1 had no collectibles. It had some sidemissions though.
Mafia 2 had playboys with nudes.
Mafia 3 had playboys with nudes and articles, and some other useless fluff.
Mafia DE has only useless fluff.

Shouldve just been the cigarette cards. They’re the only interesting collectible since they include characters from 2 and 3 and the little blurbs on the back of them help tie the world together.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I just want to say that I never played the first Mafia. I am loving this!! It's a really, really good story-driven game. The story is great. The graphics are really good and the banter is really funny. I am very invested in the characters and where it is all going. I want to boot up the original to see how many changes they made.

Just finished a mission pretty early (race) and had a blast playing that over and over until I won. I didn't mind at all and I got better at it each time. It was fun.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Racing mission still sucks in the remake :LOL:
I had fun with it, wrecking large groups of cars, while then ruining my chances for a win. It's not cheap and any screw up is your own fault. It took me about 5 times to beat it. Most of the time I screwed up by cutting a corner or launching myself in the air and flipping over. If you play it smart and drive well it's actually easy.

RNG

I had fun with it, wrecking large groups of cars, while then ruining my chances for a win. It's not cheap and any screw up is your own fault. It took me about 5 times to beat it. Most of the time I screwed up by cutting a corner or launching myself in the air and flipping over. If you play it smart and drive well it's actually easy.
I ended up spamming the ram button for the race. Someone tried to overtake me on the last lap but I pit stopped manuever his ass. The race is a pain on classic difficulty.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I ended up spamming the ram button for the race. Someone tried to overtake me on the last lap but I pit stopped manuever his ass. The race is a pain on classic difficulty.
Shit! I forgot about that move. I never used the ramming option. But I was playing on normal.

MacReady13

3 games have really helped me in enjoying games again this year, as I'd started to waver. The first was Destroy All Human remake. The second was Tony Hawk's 1 and 2 remake. The third is Mafia remake...

j0hnnix

picked this up over the weekend and damn is it fantastic, never played the original. unbelievable. took a break but can't wait to jump back in..I only went for Mafia Definitive edition. unsure about Mafia 2.

TexMex

Gold Member
Was going pretty smooth until the last couple hours. Had 3 hard crashes.

Just beat it tho. Great as expected.

going to do it again on Classic difficulty. Not worried about anything except the damn race which has been a deal breaker for some people I’ve read. Anyone tried it?

HotPocket69

Banned
Loving the game so far except for that Racing mission I had to lower the difficulty to finish it. lol

Getting around 70-80 FPS on a 3080/3900x at 4K and it looks amazing.

Why aren’t you angry at the old school
Italian stereotypes? Why did you spend your unemployed welfare dollars on this when you could be bettering your life?

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
Italian stereotypes? Why did you spend your unemployed welfare dollars on this when you could be bettering your life?
I think you have the wrong idea about ERA if you think we are angry about every little thing. Should we stop watching Godfather or Goodfellas? And my financials are none of your concern. I'm doing well enough for myself. :) More than well all things considered.

HotPocket69

Banned
I think you have the wrong idea about ERA if you think we are angry about every little thing. Should we stop watching Godfather or Goodfellas? And my financials are none of your concern. I'm doing well enough for myself. :) More than well all things considered.

Well then I hope you’re voting for Trump☺

You’re a fascinating specimen, Taylor. Thanks for responding.

Last edited:

Komatsu

Loving the game so far except for that Racing mission I had to lower the difficulty to finish it. lol

Getting around 70-80 FPS on a 3080/3900x at 4K and it looks amazing.

Interesting that you’re not hitting the hundreds with that setup. What graphics/video settings are you using?

Denton

I keep going back and forth between the two stations and both of these songs aren't in the remake :( Especially the first track.
The overall music, both in licensed songs and original score is a big part of the reason why the remake can never replace original. Original was just vastly, vastly better in this respect.

going to do it again on Classic difficulty. Not worried about anything except the damn race which has been a deal breaker for some people I’ve read. Anyone tried it?

I can do it anytime. If you have a controller and are not a moron who goes into turns without breaking you can do it.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Shouldve just been the cigarette cards. They’re the only interesting collectible since they include characters from 2 and 3 and the little blurbs on the back of them help tie the world together.
Yep the rest of the collectibles are crap, especially the foxes which aren't different from each other in any way. I really hate when you have to find xx identical collectibles (for the platinum) just because some dev thought it would be fun.

Last edited:

Concern

Never played the original. Im wondering how far in is the infamous racing mission since im playing on classic difficulty lol.

M1chl

I am fairly surprised that nobody there brought up, who created the game, when with Kingdom Come it was such a huge issue...

Concern

Yea i think that's what im getting to now. Wasn't sure tho, but didn't want to post spoilers.

Hopefully its not too bad lol.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Really?

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

aries_71

The overall music, both in licensed songs and original score is a big part of the reason why the remake can never replace original. Original was just vastly, vastly better in this respect.

I can do it anytime. If you have a controller and are not a moron who goes into turns without breaking you can do it.
Talking about the music... I didn’t like the in-game music one bit. I don’t mean the radio songs while in the car, but the background music played as the mission scores. Somehow they didn’t fit the mission, or the game in general, at all. Anybody else had the same opinion?

M1chl

I switched to English dub for second classic playthrough and for one time, Czech dub is vastly better, with far more nuace and funny shit. I just finished fair play on classic, however the post-race scene was way funnier in Czech. However still really good work.

Komatsu

I switched to English dub for second classic playthrough and for one time, Czech dub is vastly better, with far more nuace and funny shit. I just finished fair play on classic, however the post-race scene was way funnier in Czech. However still really good work.

Don't doubt it, it's just hard to watch early XXth century Italian-Americans speaking Czech! The accent is such an important part of the culture.

M1chl

Don't doubt it, it's just hard to watch early XXth century Italian-Americans speaking Czech! The accent is such an important part of the culture.
Sure the Czech dub does not speak with any accent, does not try hard or anything. I do recognize, that I don't have really connection to that culture, I don't watch Mafia movies, etc. So I don't mind. OG game was create with Czech actors in mind nad English was then "shoehorned" to it. This time is other way around (lip sync). I speaking more about actors, then what kind of accent they have.

Justin9mm

I have it on the base PS4 and it looks and runs great!
No offence but I'm not sure you know what you are looking at. I have just finished the whole game on my PS4 Pro with the latest patch update and I have to say it looks average and runs pretty poorly. Just because it has some good lighting and reflections in parts which were very inconsistent does not equate to a good looking game. A lot of NPC's in the cutscenes had PS3 level facial animation and graphics.

There are lots of frame rate issues, little to no anti-aliasing which was quite jarring, grass pops in right next to you driving around certain parts of the city. Cars and pedestrians just randomly pop in and disappear while driving. There is a ton of bugs with enemy AI just clipping everything. I had multiple occasions where you would shoot an enemy and he would die by screaming and his animation would simulate falling off a ledge but it was a chair or a barrel or something that was next to him and he wasn't even touching it.

Even my girlfriend who doesn't play games was watching me play this game and commenting what is wrong with this game. I'm forgiving on it because it is a remake of an old original which I liked especially the story but production quality is low tier with this one.

I think they ran out of money optimising it for PS4 lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom