• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia: Definitive Edition |OT| You never show me any respect....

cormack12

Gold Member
Why are so many having PTSD about the racing? Is it rubber bandy or do you just need a perfect run that the AI obstructs?

Roufianos

Played the first 5 missions, had a blast and as others have said, game's really good looking.

I played the original back in the day but was too young to appreciate it so this is all new to me really. Feels like I'm playing a worthy successor to Mafia II.

nowhat

Why are so many having PTSD about the racing? Is it rubber bandy or do you just need a perfect run that the AI obstructs?
Honestly, I'm not getting It. You start at the last position, sure. But there are three laps to go. Getting into top five on lap two was a no-brainer. And once you're at the pole position, it's a walk in the park.

And I'm not a racing game fanatic, but granted, I've spent my fair share with MK.

linkroi

Overall, i do find the game quite fun for the moment, i do like the characters but i have a problem with something in the game, the Ghosting effect that comes from the TAA. First of all, that's a shame that Hanger 13 does not seems to find interessing to give the players a choice when it comes to choose the AA... the game just stick with the TAA. I find the game quite impressive (overall the game looks good) to be honest, but sometimes it just feel weird to see some "ghost" around ourself and only few people seems to talk about it.

Mista

Banned
Overall, i do find the game quite fun for the moment, i do like the characters but i have a problem with something in the game, the Ghosting effect that comes from the TAA. First of all, that's a shame that Hanger 13 does not seems to find interessing to give the players a choice when it comes to choose the AA... the game just stick with the TAA. I find the game quite impressive (overall the game looks good) to be honest, but sometimes it just feel weird to see some "ghost" around ourself and only few people seems to talk about it.
Its because the game isn't utilizing the monitors refresh rate

Here's a fix:

Can anyone tell me how does it look on x on a 4k screen? Mafia 3 after the enhanced patch looked gorgeous on one x , is it near that resolution and solid frame rate?

On chapter 8, and im loving this game way more than I thought I would. I usually get bored with open world games after first 2 or 3 missions and skip cutscenes. Not with Mafia. The story and characters suck you in, the graphics and presentation keep me immersed, and the game just flows so well. Doesnt feel repetitive yet or fill in pointless missions. You feel part of a movie unraveling. Some touches I really like is the ability to skip a drive to the next mission, that takes a lot of the redundancy of most open world games, and little touches like pedestrians covering their head and trying to get cover when its raining, rain getting progressively heavier with wetter streets, and the overall authentic 30's feel of the game. My favorite single player so far of 2020 (never played the original).
0gzYTk.png

0gzLye.png

0gz3yr.jpg

0gzse7.jpg

0gz6R9.jpg

Denton

Couldn't resist, purchased 2002 original on steam (dont have dvd drive connected so my box copy is useless), installed the mod and made a quick and dirty comparison. Both are set to max details possible (and Remake is downsampled from 3K to 1080p, while Original runs native 1080p).

Mafia 2002:

mafiascreenshot2020.0qmko8.png

Mafia 2020:

mafiadefinitiveeditioklkmo.png

Mafia 2002:

mafiascreenshot2020.0s7jws.png

Mafia 2020:

mafiadefinitiveeditio3ejsl.png

Mafia 2002:
mafiascreenshot2020.0u6joc.png

Mafia 2020:

mafiadefinitiveeditiof8k61.png

Komatsu

That mission was infuriating annoying in the original. LOL It's the reason why I dropped it back in 2002, only to pick it up years later.

John2290

It's a massive upgrade over the original, obviously but kinda a disappointment over the initial screens reveal. Not quite on the level of remakes like REmake2/3 or the FF7r (alas, at least it's finished) but it's passable enough and I'm sure the pandemic hurt the polish some as there is a clear difference between some aspects of the game, cutscenes and what not compared to others, some look like a late ps4 game and some look like a late ps3 games/early ps4 game and there is a ton of ailising, bugs and rough assets.

Never played a Mafia game before and it's not what i was expecting at all, Kind of like a Yakuza with cars minus any side content. A story told within an open world but the story is the main focus and not the city. I'm half way through the mission list according to the trophies and quite liking it, not a 10 by any means but it's good enough to keep me playing for eight or so hours. Fantastic vibes and it really brings the era to life albeit the set pieces are a bit much, the AI are litteral zombies, the shooting mechanic can be somewhat RNG depending on the gun and distance (kinda realistic), the animations are sometimes non existent yet when they are they are often stiff and the open world means very little aside from a place to drive between missions.

bargeparty

I'm still not digging the voices, but it's always cool to see a world recreated in a way that we imagined it looked back when it released. The original game was amazing.

Didn't npcs in the original use umbrellas in the rain or am I thinking of something else? Npcs in the remake do kinda react to the rain but I haven't seen any umbrellas.

Starfield

It is ridicilous that this game only got a 77 on Metacritic. It is such a well done remake, maybe even the best so far. Should be 90 score atleast

Hostile_18

Banned
It's a genuine miracle this is so good. From the low price point (especially as part of the trilogy) to not informing the original director.

Ill be getting this tonight. I use to love the original PC game back in the day. The racing level was the original Dark Souls lol. People on my old forum (OCUK) were buying steering wheels just to complete the level. I finally did it on keyboard and it was one of the greatest moments in my gaming life.*

*the next week a patch came out that made the level easier.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I'm still not digging the voices, but it's always cool to see a world recreated in a way that we imagined it looked back when it released. The original game was amazing.

Didn't npcs in the original use umbrellas in the rain or am I thinking of something else? Npcs in the remake do kinda react to the rain but I haven't seen any umbrellas.

I cant get used to voices either, Tommy feels like a douche. I noticed npcs carrying umbrellas in a cutscene at least.

It is ridicilous that this game only got a 77 on Metacritic. It is such a well done remake, maybe even the best so far. Should be 90 score atleast

It fine but far from the best, gameplay still feels jank.

Justin9mm

I'm enjoying this game because of story but it still needed a shitload of polish.

Playing on Pro, the graphics are very inconsistent. Lighting is nice in some areas, too bright in other areas and then too dark in some scenes.

Also some animations and scenes look god awful. Some characters faces look like im playing on PS3. Pop in everywhere, grass pops in as you are driving right next to you, NPCs and cars on the street just magically appear out of nowhere.

This is a remake from the ground up and expected better production quality to be honest.

Roufianos

Saw IGN moaning about that racing mission but I beat it on my 1st try and I'm hardly a pro gamer. Just use the speed limit toggler to help with the corners.

Denton

This is a remake from the ground up and expected better production quality to be honest.
Not that this is an excuse, but apparently they were given very strict budget and only 2 years of dev time.
I gotta say though, PC version is near flawless. I have seen zero technical problems, almost no pop-in and the game looks stunning 99% of the time...and never drops frames on my machine.

JayK47

I plan to pick this up pretty soon. Would have been nice to have a reduced price at least for those with the original Mafia in their library. So I may wait for a sale before grabbig it. I bet it goes on sale for Black Friday or at least the winter sale.

Siri

Banned
I'm enjoying this game because of story but it still needed a shitload of polish.

Playing on Pro, the graphics are very inconsistent. Lighting is nice in some areas, too bright in other areas and then too dark in some scenes.

Also some animations and scenes look god awful. Some characters faces look like im playing on PS3. Pop in everywhere, grass pops in as you are driving right next to you, NPCs and cars on the street just magically appear out of nowhere.

Thank you. Finally a sober post. This is a weird game in that the screenshots look better than the game itself - especially that bullshot with all the reflections in it.

Maxed out on the PC there’s atrocious pop-in, which is something I almost never complain about. Whenever you look into the distance everything looks flat, without shadows, or detail of any kind. The game just has a B-look about it. I suppose that recent games like Red Dead 2 on the pc have spoiled us. But like you said, I was hoping for higher production values.

That said, I’m having fun with the game, and didn’t get a Steam refund.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Holy shit. Just finished the game.
What a story, unbelievable.
That RDR2 vibe.
Christ.
Bravo, absolutely fantastic.
Zero SJW bullshit.
Straight to the point.
Super high quality entertainment.
That's just what I needed after Mafia "purple skies, blurry streets and teleporting racists" 3 and Mafia "why is this port so bad" 2.
Great.

Justin9mm

Not that this is an excuse, but apparently they were given very strict budget and only 2 years of dev time.
I gotta say though, PC version is near flawless. I have seen zero technical problems, almost no pop-in and the game looks stunning 99% of the time...and never drops frames on my machine.
Looks like console version for Pro at least has not had the same optimisation treatment.

Justin9mm

Thank you. Finally a sober post. This is a weird game in that the screenshots look better than the game itself - especially that bullshot with all the reflections in it.

Maxed out on the PC there’s atrocious pop-in, which is something I almost never complain about. Whenever you look into the distance everything looks flat, without shadows, or detail of any kind. The game just has a B-look about it. I suppose that recent games like Red Dead 2 on the pc have spoiled us. But like you said, I was hoping for higher production values.

That said, I’m having fun with the game, and didn’t get a Steam refund.
GAF member Denton above mentioned they were given a strict budget on a 2 year dev deadline, this makes sense considering my experience with it. It definitely feels rushed out the door.

Mista

Banned
I can confirm apart from never drops frames because all games do ;p

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's super easy on Normal/Arcade Driving, but on Hard/Sim I thought it was absolute trash. I actually had an easier time with it in the original.

sertopico

It's super easy on Normal/Arcade Driving, but on Hard/Sim I thought it was absolute trash. I actually had an easier time with it in the original.
At max difficulty I had to redo the race about 10 times. Guess I am getting rusty. In the end it's all about being able to brake and accelerate properly at the right moment. Getting in the first three positions is something you can do during the first lap already.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Overall pretty good so far. I'm only a few hours in. Graphically it looks ok, nothing amazing really. Racing mission was stupidly easy and was in first place by end of the first lap.

Gun sounds lack "oomph" or power. Quite a few visual bugs throughout as well. The foliage/grass pop-in is really bad. Driving feels pretty good and has a weight too it that reminds me of GTA IV, but actually fun. Voice acting is great so far and the story is keeping me interested.

Justin9mm

It's a massive upgrade over the original, obviously but kinda a disappointment over the initial screens reveal. Not quite on the level of remakes like REmake2/3 or the FF7r (alas, at least it's finished) but it's passable enough and I'm sure the pandemic hurt the polish some as there is a clear difference between some aspects of the game, cutscenes and what not compared to others, some look like a late ps4 game and some look like a late ps3 games/early ps4 game and there is a ton of ailising, bugs and rough assets.

Never played a Mafia game before and it's not what i was expecting at all, Kind of like a Yakuza with cars minus any side content. A story told within an open world but the story is the main focus and not the city. I'm half way through the mission list according to the trophies and quite liking it, not a 10 by any means but it's good enough to keep me playing for eight or so hours. Fantastic vibes and it really brings the era to life albeit the set pieces are a bit much, the AI are litteral zombies, the shooting mechanic can be somewhat RNG depending on the gun and distance (kinda realistic), the animations are sometimes non existent yet when they are they are often stiff and the open world means very little aside from a place to drive between missions.
It is very rough around the edges for sure.

I don't understand how people are saying this game is gorgeous unless you are maybe playing on a high end PC. People seem to be fooled by lighting and reflections. Graphics and animations a little are sub par for an end of gen remake. I'm playing on a Pro and as I've said in this thread before, I'm enjoying the story but the game overall is a little disappointing, I expected higher production quality.

RobRSG

It is very rough around the edges for sure.

I don't understand how people are saying this game is gorgeous unless you are maybe playing on a high end PC. People seem to be fooled by lighting and reflections. Graphics and animations a little are sub par for an end of gen remake. I'm playing on a Pro and as I've said in this thread before, I'm enjoying the story but the game overall is a little disappointing, I expected higher production quality.

The game looks really good though, perhaps the PS4 Pro version is looking subpar?

PC version here running with a 2070 Super, Ultra settings 1440p.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

The game looks really good though, perhaps the PS4 Pro version is looking subpar?

PC version here running with a 2070 Super, Ultra settings 1440p.
Well def tons of issues on Pro version. Even my gf who is not a gamer was watching me play this for like 6 or 7 missions and she questioned if there were multiple developer teams that somehow didn't communicate with each other while making it. lol

It's very inconsistent.

Last edited:

sertopico

Looks great to me on PC, but I had to use some DSR to make it look better and "crispier". The TAA makes the image too blurry and there are many temporal artifacts... Poor implementation.

Last edited:

Denton

They make such a nice remake and then they rewrite the ending in such a way that they destroy its emotional impact and replace its message with something so utterly banal....god fucking dammit Haden Blackman, why'd you have to go and do something so stupid to my beloved game.

I can confirm apart from never drops frames because all games do ;p
I purposefully set my game to such settings where CPU and GPU utilization does not exceed 70% and the game kept 60fps 100% of the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom