• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia: Definitive Edition |OT| You never show me any respect....

makaveli60

Sure, I don't want to rain on your parade.

That said, this is the comparison, just for posterity

original

vs

remake

Plus the context of the scene:

In the original Tommy has a startled look when the man pulls a gun, and he dies instantly. This is followed by a horrifying close-up of his lifeless face. The camera moves back to reveal him alone, his unattended garden hose still spraying absently. The classic 'crime doesn't pay' ending has been visually reinforced through these images. It's shocking and tragic.

In the remake Tommy smiles as the man pulls his gun, living long enough to give his family a tearful farewell. He dies surrounded by loved ones. It's beautiful and triumphant.
I love both, to be honest, for different reasons. At first I looking at prerelease videos I was disappointed because of the changes, but after started playing I got to appreciate them, so I also like the different take on the ending. IMO both games can exist beside each other. We got plenty of nostalgia but also "new things".

R6Rider

Gold Member
Anybody play with aim assist off (console)? That early mission with the turret armored car was impossible with it off. Switched it on and beat it first try after about 15 attempts.

Now going around figuring out the secret cars and collectibles.

Denton

Anybody play with aim assist off (console)? That early mission with the turret armored car was impossible with it off. Switched it on and beat it first try after about 15 attempts.

I played PC version on classic with controller and yes, that was the only point where I switched to mouse and did it immediately, after 20 failed controller attempts.

Roufianos

Yea I had to switch it on for that part too. I thought that sequence was a bit ridiculous to be honest, way over the top.

Anyway just beat it, it was glitchy and played a bit shitty but the story, graphics and world were all brilliant.

I loved the driving too on simulation, arguably it's the most engaging driving I've seen in a non-racer.

Man, I just wish we could get a real Mafia 3 which directly continued with Vito and Joe instead of what we ended up with.

HotPocket69

Banned
Yea I had to switch it on for that part too. I thought that sequence was a bit ridiculous to be honest, way over the top.

Anyway just beat it, it was glitchy and played a bit shitty but the story, graphics and world were all brilliant.

I loved the driving too on simulation, arguably it's the most engaging driving I've seen in a non-racer.

Man, I just wish we could get a real Mafia 3 which directly continued with Vito and Joe instead of what we ended up with.

Well Joe is in Mafia 3...if you finished it

The crazy thing is how they can do a 4th. It’ll prob just be a whole new cast considering how 3 played out depending on decisions you made.

And I really hope it takes place in the 70s.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
i really want play this game… i like Gangsters games.

And i actually i want to support buy it in day one Price.

But is 2K The morons that put 70$ per game in next gen so im gonna pick in it when is 30 dollars or less

RNG

Anybody else always picked the Tommy Gun at Vinny's?

Funniest death animation is when shooting peeps behind an object and they dramatically scream like they're plummeting to their death over an imaginary railing even though it's a couch.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

i really want play this game… i like Gangsters games.

And i actually i want to support buy it in day one Price.

But is 2K The morons that put 70$ per game in next gen so im gonna pick in it when is 30 dollars or less
Say what you want about 2K, but they weren't too greedy with this release. Mafia Definitive Edition costs 40$ and this is a fair price for a full remake. Ports remasters from other developers can cost as much or even more.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Say what you want about 2K, but they weren't too greedy with this release. Mafia Definitive Edition costs 40$ and this is a fair price for a full remake. Ports remasters from other developers can cost as much or even more.
I have no doubt about The quality of the game... Thats why I want to play it.

But also is not fair that nba 2k is a poor quality product and is in 70$ price in ps5

Roufianos

Well Joe is in Mafia 3...if you finished it

The crazy thing is how they can do a 4th. It’ll prob just be a whole new cast considering how 3 played out depending on decisions you made.

And I really hope it takes place in the 70s.

Haha, I played all of 2 hours of that shit after it opened up but I did watch the Vito / Joe cut scenes online.

Yea that storyline's dead. No doubt it will be a completely new one.

xrnzaaas

I have no doubt about The quality of the game... Thats why I want to play it.

But also is not fair that nba 2k is a poor quality product and is in 70$ price in ps5
Then don't buy NBA 2K21. Mafia 1 is a good quality product and it has a fair price. I understand boycotting certain series of games, but doing the same for the whole lineup from the same publisher is a bit too much imo.

HotPocket69

Banned
Then don't buy NBA 2K21. Mafia 1 is a good quality product and it has a fair price. I understand boycotting certain series of games, but doing the same for the whole lineup from the same publisher is a bit too much imo.

I mean, his username does contain the word “Extreme”

Concern

Im playing on classic with it off. But I have to get passed the race first lol.

TexMex

Gold Member
Got the platinum tonight.

Great game. Classic difficulty was no joke, the race was pretty rough as advertised but some of the missions were just near impossible.

Great soundtrack, and the game looked amazing but it did have a fair amount of jank/bugs. Nothing game breaking though.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

The first post-launch update for Mafia: Definitive Edition adds new features free for all players like Noir Mode, a visual option that paints Mafia: Definitive Edition’s gameplay and cinematics with a vintage black-and-white look, complete with moody film grain effects to further accentuate the game’s Prohibition Era aesthetic.

Today’s update also includes new heads-up display (HUD) options that allow players to switch the in-world main objective marker on and off; switch mini-map enemy markers on and off in all difficulty settings; enable or disable navigation features like turn-by-turn instructions and mini-map GPS; and enable a new minimal HUD mode that hides HUD elements like the mini-map, speedometer, and objective text. For more information about today’s update, please refer to this article.

e22bae1cdbd24c458a9fe0aa0354cdae.png
4226b8493c854d39b7bbf452350fcfa5.png

Hostile_18

Banned
Finally finished this on classic. Absolutely loved the game. Never played the original so it was a new experience for me.

Hostile_18 Hostile_18 thanks a lot for the tips on the race dude. Honestly that was the hardest part of the whole game for me lol.

No worries bud, glad you made it!

What's next Mafia 2 or something completely different? 😊

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finished it. Terrible music... just terrible.
Shooting was very bad, audio in generally was crap.
Characters are terrible compared to original. Facial animations suck.

I liked quality of life improvements. Less annoying police, ability to skip driving when I felt like it.
The graphics were very good but not consistent. Cars looked fantastic though

Concern

I liked quality of life improvements. Less annoying police, ability to skip driving when I felt like it.

I never played the original but goddamn lol. I enjoyed it more than most I guess since I never played the original. I agree about the shooting being bad and facial animations.

Some people's eyes were wide open looking like they were tweaking or paranoid lol.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I never played the original but goddamn lol. I enjoyed it more than most I guess since I never played the original. I agree about the shooting being bad and facial animations.

Some people's eyes were wide open looking like they were tweaking or paranoid lol.
I love original but still wanted to give remake a solid chance and they did generally good. I would've loved it if not for original.
I don't know what it is... the faces barely animate in the original yet there is so much more emotion and atmosphere lol (if You can stand the jank)

Concern

I love original but still wanted to give remake a solid chance and they did generally good. I would've loved it if not for original.
I don't know what it is... the faces barely animate in the original yet there is so much more emotion and atmosphere lol (if You can stand the jank)

Maybe the voice actors were better?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just finished up all of the achievements. I have done a few of the phone calls so far. Going for all of them because the final unlock looks cool.

aries_71

I have to agree on the music, I mentioned it previously in this same thread. Mission music was not only bad, it I’d did not even fit with the theme to the point it was distracting. I believe it’s the first time I feel that way in a game, so it must have been extremely jarring.

sertopico

True about the music, the original score was very limited in quality and quantity, and looping it didn't help much.

cormack12

Gold Member
Grabbing this now. Brother bought it si I get it for free essentially. Is hard too hard because of the race? Only needed for platinum I take it?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Grabbing this now. Brother bought it si I get it for free essentially. Is hard too hard because of the race? Only needed for platinum I take it?
You need to finish whole game on Classic difficulty, which...may prove difficult, not only from the race standpoint.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Finished yesterday on PC.
A great game in my opinion. Good story, an absolute visual treat and just the perfect length. I personally had no issues at all, either with difficulty or driving or technical issues.
There were minor issues in truck missions but thats about it.
I will wholeheartedly recommend it.

Bluecondor

Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge Mafia fan, and played the original Mafia on the PS2, Mafia II and Mafia III.

I pre-ordered the Mafia Definitive Edition and couldn't wait to play it, as it has been nearly 20 years since I played the original.'

I'm sorry to say, but I can't stand this game. Like several reviewers said, it feels like this was just "a can of paint" on the original Mafia game from 20 years ago. This was made by the studio who did Mafia III, and nearly everything in the game (gunplay, driving, weapons, the city, the insides of individual buildings, NPCs) feels like a subpar version of what was in Mafia III (which itself was a flawed game in many ways)

I also feel like the writing and storyline of the remake was really off. The original Mafia felt like a gritty rags to riches story, and even though it has been 20 years, I remember that the characters felt real and believable. The characters and storyline in this version felt like the Godfather III Michael Corleone/plot in relation to the Godfather and Godfather II versions. I remember Don Salieri in the original Mafia game as a respected mafia family boss. In the remake, he comes off as completely out-of-touch and the actor they chose to play him looks and sounds like your Uncle Mel who runs the local bowling league. The city is so lifeless and boring (especially in comparison to Mafia III - which again, was really limited), so you are having shootouts in the streets and getting into car chases, etc., but it might as well be happening in some one stoplight town in the middle of nowhere .

In one of the early missions, you are literally driving your car through a Hoovertown in a run-of-mill car chase mission that we have seen all the way back to GTA III. This was so disappointing. In real life, Hoovertowns were WWI veterans trying to get through the economic ravages of the Depression, putting up shantytowns so that they could survive - in protest of the lack of support for veterans from the Hoover administration. In the Mafia: Definitive Edition version of this, we drive through a Hoovertown as some briefly inconvenient obstacle on a completely-scripted car chase mission in which car B follows car A for a few minutes to another part of the map for a cutscene. It was as if the developers missed the entire point of why the rags to riches story of Mafia is compelling. During the Depression, the profound lack of opportunity gave organized crime numerous opportunities to fill in the void. Hoovertowns were not just parts of a city that got in your way while driving. They were profound illustrations of how bad it was during the Depression.

This was such a letdown for me. Again, Mafia III had a ton of flaws, but at least it had an interesting and believable character in Lincoln and the 1960s setting, music and constant and interesting references to race in the South and the various social issues of the 1960s made the game interesting. Mafia: Definitive Edition has none of this (except some poor quality music and scratchy 1930s/1940s radio clips about the Depression and FDR, etc. that have no relevance in game). The gunplay, driving and missions are each subpar, which adds up to an unenjoyable experience.

Just a huge letdown for me, which is sad, as I love the Mafia series.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Got this for Christmas and recently started playing it, I remember the first but damn am I enjoying this.
Way better then Mafia III
and it doesn't feel old or anything surprisingly.
Graphic are top notch, acting is fantastic and the missions are immersive that push you forward to next then to the next.
For a Remake it's a breath of fresh air.
Definitely putting it up there as one of favourite games of the decade along with ironically RE2 Remake
They just don't make them like they used to.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I just started and the combat is so bad it's hard to play. The story and graphics are nice.

D.Final

Banned
Finished yesterday on PC.
A great game in my opinion. Good story, an absolute visual treat and just the perfect length. I personally had no issues at all, either with difficulty or driving or technical issues.
There were minor issues in truck missions but thats about it.
I will wholeheartedly recommend it.
It is always Mafia
After all

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Also wanna point out how good Sarah's model is.
8BmHWF7.jpg

Well all the character models was excellent
Can't wait to see what they can do on Next-Gen

Last edited:
Top Bottom