• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia: Definitive Edition |OT| You never show me any respect....

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
No offence but I'm not sure you know what you are looking at. I have just finished the whole game on my PS4 Pro with the latest patch update and I have to say it looks average and runs pretty poorly. Just because it has some good lighting and reflections in parts which were very inconsistent does not equate to a good looking game. A lot of NPC's in the cutscenes had PS3 level facial animation and graphics.

There are lots of frame rate issues, little to no anti-aliasing which was quite jarring, grass pops in right next to you driving around certain parts of the city. Cars and pedestrians just randomly pop in and disappear while driving. There is a ton of bugs with enemy AI just clipping everything. I had multiple occasions where you would shoot an enemy and he would die by screaming and his animation would simulate falling off a ledge but it was a chair or a barrel or something that was next to him and he wasn't even touching it.

Even my girlfriend who doesn't play games was watching me play this game and commenting what is wrong with this game. I'm forgiving on it because it is a remake of an old original which I liked especially the story but production quality is low tier with this one.

I think they ran out of money optimising it for PS4 lol

Well they wouldn't re-motion capture every actor so they had to work with what they had.

Actually I have it on a base Xbox One. I buy games on each system for various reasons. I forgot what system I was playing it on.

Not sure why your runs bad. Maybe it's your Pro. My base Xbox One runs it great.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am not even shilling for my country, but this is my goty hands down. It's pacing, atmosphere, works so well. It's just push you to play more and more...and then end. Which sucks.

No offence but I'm not sure you know what you are looking at. I have just finished the whole game on my PS4 Pro with the latest patch update and I have to say it looks average and runs pretty poorly. Just because it has some good lighting and reflections in parts which were very inconsistent does not equate to a good looking game. A lot of NPC's in the cutscenes had PS3 level facial animation and graphics.

There are lots of frame rate issues, little to no anti-aliasing which was quite jarring, grass pops in right next to you driving around certain parts of the city. Cars and pedestrians just randomly pop in and disappear while driving. There is a ton of bugs with enemy AI just clipping everything. I had multiple occasions where you would shoot an enemy and he would die by screaming and his animation would simulate falling off a ledge but it was a chair or a barrel or something that was next to him and he wasn't even touching it.

Even my girlfriend who doesn't play games was watching me play this game and commenting what is wrong with this game. I'm forgiving on it because it is a remake of an old original which I liked especially the story but production quality is low tier with this one.

I think they ran out of money optimising it for PS4 lol
Some insider info, it has been created mainly as a PC version, so DirectX and then ported with minimal optimalisation to Playstation. So xbox got better version.
That's how market here works. Main draw is obviously localisation and PR push in classic media. Hell on the release day it was segment for it on national TV. Many people who does not even game anymore, bought the game.

It's main market is still Czech Republic, it broke record here, last time game sell that well was Witcher 3. If you look on youtube, Czech vids about the game has around the same view count as those in English, which...normally really does not happend for country of 10mil ppl.

Denton

It's main market is still Czech Republic
No it ain't. Yes the game sells well here compared to other games, Mafia is a national treasure after all. But its main market is US as it is for every game.

Anyway, who needs remake

mafiascreenshot2020.091kjn.png

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No it ain't. Yes the game sells well here compared to other games, Mafia is a national treasure after all. But its main market is US as it is for every game.

Anyway, who needs remake

mafiascreenshot2020.091kjn.png
So you are that denton from pctuning.cz/svethardware.cz forums? Long time no see.

Denton

There was just interview with original writer and director of Mafia 1 Dan Vávra published today, where he was asked (among many other things) what his unproduced Mafia 3 was about. Apparently it was also set in the 60s and was played from perspective of both an italian-american mafioso and a police officer who investigated the mob. JFK also played some role in it. He cannot say any details or publish the script because apparently it is still owned by Take2, sadly, but he said he was extremely pissed and sad it never got made because it was even better than first two games.

So you are that denton from pctuning.cz/svethardware.cz forums? Long time no see.
The very same, hi there

Mac's first play :messenger_tears_of_joy: he's a huge fan of the original, even ran a fansite for it

I was looking forward to that, I know Mac is huge fan and he hates consolification, so yeah, remake ain't gonna have it easy with him.

Might be silly to complain but I wish they kept the option of riding the trains during free ride. Maybe some DLC?

Very much enjoying this otherwise. I only played the Xbox version back in the day so in some ways it's Iike enjoying it for the first time since the graphics were so diminished in that version.

Roufianos

Just finished the first mission with a lot of gunplay, the one with the church.

These are possibly the worst 3rd person combat mechanics I've experienced this gen. The mechanics are just awful, worse than Mafia 2's which I replayed recently.

For a start the pistol reticule is absolutely laughably large and looks like something out of a shovelware game.

I'm still enjoying the story, the mission design, graphics and the setting but man, H13 are truly horseshit. This series deserves better, I can't even get past the loading screens without having to disconnect from the internet, where's the quality control.

Justin9mm

I am not even shilling for my country, but this is my goty hands down. It's pacing, atmosphere, works so well. It's just push you to play more and more...and then end. Which sucks.

Some insider info, it has been created mainly as a PC version, so DirectX and then ported with minimal optimalisation to Playstation. So xbox got better version.
That's how market here works. Main draw is obviously localisation and PR push in classic media. Hell on the release day it was segment for it on national TV. Many people who does not even game anymore, bought the game.

It's main market is still Czech Republic, it broke record here, last time game sell that well was Witcher 3. If you look on youtube, Czech vids about the game has around the same view count as those in English, which...normally really does not happend for country of 10mil ppl.
Interesting to know.. It's a shame PlayStation got a bad port.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Ok wtf is going on with this remake ? . I’m at ( A trip to the country ) and chasing by a truck on a classic difficulty which btw is more challenging but fun . But the thing is I can’t aim at the truck to shoot their gun , there is something wrong with that mission .. or is it just me ?!

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Ok problem solved .. I changed the sensitivity to 6.5 and put aim to low without changing the difficulty , before it was off but I’ll put it the aim back to off cuz I need to finish this game on classic and I will

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Just finished the first mission with a lot of gunplay, the one with the church.

These are possibly the worst 3rd person combat mechanics I've experienced this gen. The mechanics are just awful, worse than Mafia 2's which I replayed recently.

For a start the pistol reticule is absolutely laughably large and looks like something out of a shovelware game.

I'm still enjoying the story, the mission design, graphics and the setting but man, H13 are truly horseshit. This series deserves better, I can't even get past the loading screens without having to disconnect from the internet, where's the quality control.
This is what i suspected from the footage i watched, the gameplay is mafia 3 with mafia 1 coat of paint, thank god i didn't bought this one.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Ok problem solved .. I changed the sensitivity to 6.5 and put aim to low without changing the difficulty , before it was off but I’ll put it the aim back to off cuz I need to finish this game on classic and I will

Yep, I had to turn down my mouse sensitivity way low. I was playing with a controller up to that point.

xrnzaaas

i just finished it, great game

i am now tempted to get Mafia 2 :messenger_grinning_squinting: but i know that isnt a great "remaster" effort so not sure
I haven't played the remaster, but I think it's still holds up well. It's not gonna receive a remake treatment like Mafia 1.

It's definitely worth it to play it for the characters and the story, even if the ending is disappointing.

Blond

Banned
I was I didn’t buy this thing on console’s it feels worse than Mafia 2 and 3, like it’s meant to be played at 60 FPS and it’s horribly clunky. Also the control scheme is complete shit, I just can’t get used to it.

Blond

Banned
So is it just the first one that looks absolutely incredible or have all 3 been re done?

I'm confused.

2 basically got a HD texture pack that somehow looks and performs than the original.

3 got some under the hood upgrades and all DLC included

1 is a complete remake

xrnzaaas

2 basically got a HD texture pack that somehow looks and performs than the original.

3 got some under the hood upgrades and all DLC included

1 is a complete remake
Mafia 3 has also gotten broken trophies in the definitive edition patch. I just finished it (for the second time) and a couple of trophies didn't unlock. I'd be super pissed if I was planning to go for the platinum (no way in hell am I playing this again to make different decisions regarding associates and racket bosses). The game is also still quite buggy - the performance can drop after ~2 hours of playing it, car models look incredibly ugly (especially in the garage where you're tuning them), there are tons of small glitches, I had a black screen instead of a cut-scene and so on.

At least the DLC's are decent. I especially liked the cult one, it contains a pretty shocking scene.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just beat the game on classic difficulty. It wasn't overly punishing. My only real complaint is when the credits roll:

What the fuck is the rap song? Who thought it was a good idea? Holy fuck, what a terrible choice.

Concern

Ok I have a serious problem I can't control. Even when doing good on the race, I mess myself up trying to ram other cars lmao. I hate myself for it.

Hostile_18

Banned
Ok I have a serious problem I can't control. Even when doing good on the race, I mess myself up trying to ram other cars lmao. I hate myself for it.

Oh I was actually meaning to give you some tips my bad.

Tight corners always use x to turn. Never over steer, when theres sparks just let your car ride straight to regain control if you can.

First corner try to get 8-12 position. If you fail restart. The next two corners are the best to overtake on the whole track. The grass on the right can be driven over (along with x) to overtake very easily. The rest of the track just slow and steady. 3 cars ahead of you will always crash and burn so if your second don't worry. The final third where the track raises up one side dont stop accelerating as you turn. Only stop when you complete the lap and get to that first big corner again.

Concern

Oh I was actually meaning to give you some tips my bad.

Tight corners always use x to turn. Never over steer, when theres sparks just let your car ride straight to regain control if you can.

First corner try to get 8-12 position. If you fail restart. The next two corners are the best to overtake on the whole track. The grass on the right can be driven over (along with x) to overtake very easily. The rest of the track just slow and steady. 3 cars ahead of you will always crash and burn so if your second don't worry. The final third where the track raises up one side dont stop accelerating as you turn. Only stop when you complete the lap and get to that first big corner again.

Use x as in the ram button? On the first big turn I've taken up to 5th place. I just don't know why im so aggressive and have to smash every car catching up lol. I ruin it for myself 🤣🤣🤣.

makaveli60

Just finished it. A masterpiece reimagination of a masterpiece. I don't want to say too much, as I already did previously, just want to add that I really enjoyed the extended story and characters, especially the ending... it was beatiful and worthy of the original game. Thank you Hangar 13 for providing such a nostalgic experience!

PS: If you liked the original game, don't hesitate, buy, you won't regret it!

Denton

Just beat the game on classic difficulty. It wasn't overly punishing. My only real complaint is when the credits roll:

That song is there as a reward for finishing on classic, it is not there on easier difficulties. It was a song used in Mafia 3 trailer. Enjoy!

That said original Mafia also had an unconventional song in its credits:

Somehow it worked perfectly for me.

especially the ending

That's hilarious, I hate how they rewrote the ending :messenger_ogre:

Last edited:

makaveli60

That song is there as a reward for finishing on classic, it is not there on easier difficulties. It was a song used in Mafia 3 trailer. Enjoy!

That said original Mafia also had an unconventional song in its credits:

Somehow it worked perfectly for me.

That's hilarious, I hate how they rewrote the ending :messenger_ogre:

Well, you gotta treat it as a reimagination as it's not entirely a remake, but a different take on the same story, if you get what I mean.

MacReady13

I'm playing on Xbox One X. I have encountered zero glitches (so far) and i'm up to the mission with the wine in the multi level car park area. I'm loving the game so far, taking my time and enjoying it.

Denton

Well, you gotta treat it as a reimagination as it's not entirely a remake, but a different take on the same story, if you get what I mean.
Oh definitely, it is neither a remake nor "definitive edition" of Mafia as they falsely call it. Reimagination is right. It's just that the ending, the "message" of the game in this reimagination is kinda banal. "family is forever". Wow you don't say.

makaveli60

Oh definitely, it is neither a remake nor "definitive edition" of Mafia as they falsely call it. Reimagination is right. It's just that the ending, the "message" of the game in this reimagination is kinda banal. "family is forever". Wow you don't say.
Diffent strokes for different folks, I guess. I really liked it.

Denton

Diffent strokes for different folks, I guess. I really liked it.
Sure, I don't want to rain on your parade.

That said, this is the comparison, just for posterity

original
You know, the world isn't run by the law written on paper. It's run by people, some according to laws, others not. It depends on each individual how his world would be, how he makes it. And you also need a whole lot of luck, so that somebody else doesn't make your life hell. And it ain't as simple as they tell you in grade school. But it is good to have strong values and to maintain them, in marriage, in crime, in war, always and everywhere. I messed up, so did Paulie and Sam. We wanted a better life but, in the end, we were a lot worse off than most other people. You know, I think it's important to keep a balance in things. Yeah balance, that's the right word. Because the guy who wants too much risks losing absolutely everything. Of course the guy who wants too little from life, might not get anything at all.
vs

remake
Remember that money, jobs, even the best pals come and go. But family? Family is forever.
Plus the context of the scene:

In the original Tommy has a startled look when the man pulls a gun, and he dies instantly. This is followed by a horrifying close-up of his lifeless face. The camera moves back to reveal him alone, his unattended garden hose still spraying absently. The classic 'crime doesn't pay' ending has been visually reinforced through these images. It's shocking and tragic.

In the remake Tommy smiles as the man pulls his gun, living long enough to give his family a tearful farewell. He dies surrounded by loved ones. It's beautiful and triumphant.

Top Bottom