• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia |OT| When Death is on the Line

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

pants

I really wish the cop would stop being a coward and tell us what they know.

This is a possible strategy. Announce you are the cop, start outing people, have the doctor protect you (if there is one) and hope and pray there isn't a weird mafia role that can bypass this. I think it's too early though, because its a super risky move.

Another way of being an effective cop is to lay low, and near the middle end, lay out every investigation you did and sacrifice yourself (to verify authenticity and because lol no mafia will keep a cop around breathing) to get a town win. The risk here of course is getting nerfed before you get to do that.

I do think we need to lean on out power players a bit more, it occurs to me their best protection (anonymity) is also our greatest hurdle in using their abilities to their fullest.

Karkador

Banned
I don't feel great about accusing anyone else right now, since a lot of my theories are just grasping at straws. I really wish the cop would stop being a coward and tell us what they know.

If the Cop hasn't found someone bad yet, then I'd say that they should probably keep their mouths shut. It's not worth the shitstorm until there's something to blow the mystery wide open - plus, they aren't sure there's a Doctor in the house to save them.

Another idea is: we need to accuse people (or conversely, claim someone is good) to give the Cop enough cover to say something without being detected. It's possible that they've already said something.

This is a possible strategy. Announce you are the cop, start outing people, have the doctor protect you (if there is one) and hope and pray there isn't a weird mafia role that can bypass this. I think it's too early though, because its a super risky move.

Another way of being an effective cop is to lay low, and near the middle end, lay out every investigation you did and sacrifice yourself (to verify authenticity and because lol no mafia will keep a cop around breathing) to get a town win. The risk here of course is getting nerfed before you get to do that.

I do think we need to lean on out power players a bit more, it occurs to me their best protection (anonymity) is also our greatest hurdle in using their abilities to their fullest.

If the Cop hasn't found someone bad yet, then I'd say that they should probably keep their mouths shut. It's not worth the shitstorm until there's something to blow the mystery wide open - plus, they aren't sure there's a Doctor in the house to save them.

Another idea is: we need to accuse people (or conversely, claim someone is good) to give the Cop enough cover to say something without being detected. It's possible that they've already said something.

I guess until we reduce the number of killers to one it's a risk for the cop to reveal themselves. I just afraid that the cop gets picked off randomly during the night and we're left with no information and have to speculate.

I have an idea to suggest: We could all mutually agree on one person who the cop should investigate during the night, and if we hear nothing the next day, assume the person is innocent.

pants

I have an idea to suggest: We could all mutually agree on one person who the cop should investigate during the night, and if we hear nothing the next day, assume the person is innocent.

The cop is still going to have to out themselves

Only if they're not innocent.

Obviously the cop has to come out at some time, hopefully before they're lynched/taken out, but it's getting the timing right.

We've had.. what, 3 or 4 nights? So potentially 3 or 4 pieces of information, depending on whether they targeted someone who got killed during the night. At this point, I'd say only spill if they're about to get lynched, or they've got a list of mafia in front of them?

The only problem is that we have already lost three tourist aligned power players. I'm not sure how many that leaves us (or even how many power players a game this size normally has), but I'm sure it makes the remaining players (if any) more than a little nervous.

Zatoth

I'll stick with Kalor. For reasons I already wrote in earlier posts. amir0x would be my number 2 on the list of suspects.

VOTE: Kalor

@QuantumBro: But the cop (we don't even know if a cop exists) would have to expose himself. So we can't be sure if the cop stays quiet because his target was a tourist or because he does not want to stay hidden.

ultron87

Since no one is with me on the Karkador train I'm going to switch my vote here.

I think there is enough weirdness surrounding the Kalor stuff and the roles in general that I can't make any conclusive determinations. The fact that he was almost out yesterday, for reasons that never seemed really convincing to me, has made this switch thing even more suspicious. It could be the Mafia playing things to increase the suspicion on him and push it over the edge. So I still think Kalor is suspicious and hopefully someone can check things out at night, but it could be a mafia ploy utilizing the fact that they know using their switch ability would throw some additional shade toward Kalor.

I'm going to vote Amir0x since he's only the other option. It seems relatively safe because he went from very enthusiastic about the concept of playing Mafia and then became one of the least active players for reasons that are suspicious at best.

Vote: Amir0x

Zatoth

Vote: Karkador
was changed

Vote: MattyG
was changed

vote: kalor

Vote: Kalor

Vote: El Topo
was changed

VOTE: Amir0x

VOTE: No Lynch

Current votes:

Kalor (kingkitty, Amir0x, Timeaisis, Rembrandt, traube)

Amir0x (Kalor, Palmer_v1, ultron87)

No Lynch (QuantumBro, Lord of Castamere)

Hope I did not miss any votes. So please check it.

pants

I dont think any of the current candidates are mafia, I have a flimsy suspicion, but I'm not going to cast a lone vote for someone based on a suspicion and possibly piss them off into kill me lol (yes I did this with Amir0x last round, but I never felt he'd actually kill me)

I think that since the switcher hasn't come out with their explanation means one of two things, either they're mafia and were protecting Kalor or they're town and it wasn't a one shot kind of deal. If it was a one shot thing, they'd be able to explain why they thought that Kalor was innocent and decided to protect them, AND why they thought he actually needed protecting, especially as it could be a waste of the power, without having to worry as much as being targeted. That said, I can still see why they'd not want to come out and say it, as it does still put the spotlight on them, but could lead to more useful information coming out later.

The thought that someone thought Kalor was innocent and managed to save them by some stroke of luck still seems pretty bloody unlikely though. I'm gonna go with Kalor and the switcher being mafia, as that makes more sense to me.

This post is a bit rambley, sorry, I'm bad at getting my thoughts in order. Short version:

The more I think about it, the more I also believe Kalor is a neutral, but one that is harmful to tourists. My understanding is that the mafia targeted him, and he switched places maybe with someone he visited before, or at random, but we can't be sure if this is a one time thing or it will keep happening if Kalor is targeted. If it's random, it's more harmful to the tourists compared to the mafia since it can be free kills for them like last night. It could also just be a one and done deal, but I'd rather not take that chance

Looks like I'm not going to change my vote, since Kalor is winning the lynch by a lot. At least it'll answer a few questions.

Also, if the switcher is on the town side, it would be awesome if you switched me with someone else, since I'm probably dead otherwise.

El Topo

I've had Kalor on my list of suspects for a while and it seems he'll surely be lynched, but I wonder if we're being played again. The last time I thought it was all solid and it turned out to be a tourist, however this all ends we should inspect on how all this played out. If he turns out innocent, maybe we should take a closer look at his list of suspects?

I'm not gonna vote yet because I still haven't caught up with the thread and I've gotten wary. I don't want to lynch another tourist.

Kalor

Well, I don't see myself surviving this day unless something drastic occurs. I'm disappointed I'll likely get lynched today but the mafia seem to be pushing for me to get lynched at this point.

At least my death should bring some amount of clarity to the town in regards to the alignment of the switcher.

Here's a list of the current votes:

Kalor (kingkitty, Amir0x, Timeaisis, Rembrandt, traube, irfaanator, RobotNinjaHornets)

Amir0x (Kalor, Palmer_v1, ultron87, Zippedpinhead)

No Lynch (QuantumBro, Lord of Castamere, Pants)

Something that I noticed is that three of the votes for me are the same as yesterday traube, kingkitty, Amir0x. With QuantumBro being the other vote and opting for No Lynch today. There isn't much overlap between the three days of votes which seems to show that all the mafia don't vote for the same person on the same day, except maybe the egruntz vote.

Karkador

Banned
I've slept on the reasoning for and against Kalor, and it does...kinda seem to me like the switcher thing has been a red herring.

I think it's a very valuable revelation, but there is just enough weirdness about it that I feel like it's a trick somehow. Sure, we could kill him to reveal his role - and it's looking like that's what's going to happen. Part of me hopes that will yield something very interesting, but we're also naming him because he got named by a random weird thing. I don't want another 2-3 townpeople dying over the course of a day.

With that said, this could also be my last day - it could be anyone's last day. So I feel like inaction is bad.

Well, I don't see myself surviving this day unless something drastic occurs. I'm disappointed I'll likely get lynched today but the mafia seem to be pushing for me to get lynched at this point.

At least my death should bring some amount of clarity to the town in regards to the alignment of the switcher.

Here's a list of the current votes:

Kalor (kingkitty, Amir0x, Timeaisis, Rembrandt, traube, irfaanator, RobotNinjaHornets)

Amir0x (Kalor, Palmer_v1, ultron87, Zippedpinhead)

No Lynch (QuantumBro, Lord of Castamere, Pants)

Something that I noticed is that three of the votes for me are the same as yesterday traube, kingkitty, Amir0x. With QuantumBro being the other vote and opting for No Lynch today. There isn't much overlap between the three days of votes which seems to show that all the mafia don't vote for the same person on the same day, except maybe the egruntz vote.

Well kalor, if you think you are going to die, do you have anything you want to get off your chest?

Palmer_v1

Well kalor, if you think you are going to die, do you have anything you want to get off your chest?

His pre-will. "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, palmer's cool, fuck you, I'm out!"

I'm 75% sure he's not Mafia, but it doesn't seem like anything will change the outcome at this rate. He MIGHT be something neutral, but i lean towards town and really believe people are simply overthinking the switch/owl thing.

MattyG

Banned
Alright, I've looked over all the votes so far, and I think Amir0x's relative inactivity and lack of a defense against the votes for him seems pretty suspicious.

The Kalor/QuantomBro/Owl thing still seems like a giant red herring to me. We don't know who it came from, what it means or what it even relates to. We have no idea who ordered the swap or for what reason. Lynching Kalor based on it seems like a really bad move.

I realize this throws my lot in with Kalor (and a few others). If Kalor ends up being being lynched and is indeed Mafia, I look like I'm trying to protect Kalor. If Amir0x ends up lynched, and is a tourist, I look guilty of swinging things back to a tourist. Either way, I'm less inclined to trust Amir0x (sorry!) and more inclined to think the Kalor/owl thing is a trap.

Amir0x

Banned
Ya'll can be suspicious of me, but I am 100% ordinary town. I ain't even a special towns member with any funky abilities. So at whatever point I am lynched during my stellar tour of the Waterfalls of Cosa Nostra, just know ya'll gonna feel reaaally silly.

I am totally up front about all my issues.

1. Originally forgot to subscribe and e-mail notify; now I have and look I'm active. Since I never subscribe or use ignore function ever, this makes total sense in the context of my board behavior. People forget things that aren't routine.
2. Do not find any compelling arguments toward anyone and have said so, so I'm only going with the least ineffective argument out of a band of almost uniformly ineffective arguments. I have no ill-will against Kalor, but people just made the best weak case out of only weak cases.
3. I can see where the winds are blowing, but just know I am definitively town, and when I am lynched and ya'll see that, I am just going to laugh extra hard, no ill will. This has been one long bumbling nonevent since no one is making any good cases about anyone. :p

Maybe people should make better arguments against people and I've have better direction!

Amir0x

Banned
Also, only right now I can't see any other better alternatives as argued so far. If people think there is a good alternative, I'm open to changing the vote to someone else. So point me to a good post that might show me a direction I've been missing because I'm lost. Every argument just seems grasping through thin air. Usually in Mafia at this point I have a better sense toward someone at this point...

nin1000

Banned
Since I am against a lynch today and I see the current voting 7 for Kalor and 6 for Amir0x I will vote
Amir0x
Just to get a tie.

pants

Since I am against a lynch today and I see the current voting 7 for Kalor and 6 for Amir0x I will vote
Amir0x
Just to get a tie.

I voted no lynch as well and want it, but forcing it this way is going to piss off a lot of people hope you realize this.

nin1000

Banned
True, but since I don't know how much time is left I hope this move will lead towards a no lynch if not... Well shit :)

El Topo

it was suppose to end hours ago

so it could technically end at any moment

Really? Huh. I just find it weird suddenly people come up and vote such that no one is lynched. I agree that Amir0x is suspicious, but then most of the argument against him could be applied to me as well. Don't know how to vote, but I don't get those that think not lynching is gonna magically give us new information.

Unless the cop comes out, which he won't until he has all the information he needs, we won't be know jack shit.

kingkitty

Really? Huh. I just find it weird suddenly people come up and vote such that no one is lynched. I agree that Amir0x is suspicious, but then most of the argument against him could be applied to me as well. Don't know how to vote, but I don't get those that think not lynching is gonna magically give us new information.

Unless the cop comes out, which he won't until he has all the information he needs, we won't be know jack shit.

it's certainly inconvenient for nin1000 to pop up at the last second lol

I wonder why he thinks a no-lynch would be better.

I think you should vote immediately, for kalor, or Amirox. But someone. Or I might have to unvote just to guarantee a lynch.

El Topo

it's certainly inconvenient for nin1000 to pop up at the last second lol

I wonder why he thinks a no-lynch would be better.

I think you should vote immediately, for kalor, or Amirox. But someone. Or I might have to unvote just to guarantee a lynch.

But I don't know. Both are suspicious and while I find Amir0x much more suspicious (simply due to his inactivity), it would be unfair to vote for him because of that since similar things apply to me. With Kalor my problem is that he was leading and then suddenly people show up and vote for Amir0x to get a tie.

pants

Two things.

1) The reason I voted no lynch is it drags the game on longer (since less people are killed) and this gives us more time for the cop to check things out and us to deduce things.

2) Everyone coming out to 'save' Kalor by voting Amir0x is suspect

nin1000

Banned
Well that makes me suspicious then for my vote and sudden unvote then. Don't think to much into my vote since initially I just wanted to force a no lynch, but since now I brought most of the attention towards me, I just made a mistake. So be it.

StayDead

I honestly have no suspicions against either of them, but I've found it hard to keep up with the thread due to being busy sorting out my house to move (finally moving next week on wednesday) so I'm somewhat out of the loop. For that reason I'm going to vote

Vote: no lynch

Unless of course I'm too late and it probably doesn't matter anyway, but unlike the other Mafia games I've played in nobody so far has said anything really stupid so we've had nothing to go on until something interesting happens.

StayDead

As to not edit my post I'd just like to say the only reason I'm voting for a no lynch is I don't have the time to quickly catch up now before the lynch happens and I don't necessarily want to end up forcing some kind of tie as that somewhat causes issues for the people who've been keeping up.

I'd rather vote than note vote, but as I've got no reason (as in I've not had chance to catch up yet) to vote for one or the other I'd rather just see what happens.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
*cough* Sorry, I ended up being out last night later than expected. Some old friends dropped by my flat a little before midnight when I normally sort out all the mechanics and so on, and I ended up heading out for some drinks.

Day ending shortly.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Vote Count |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kalor: 7 / 11 [kingkitty, Amir0x, Timeaisis, Rembrandt, traube, irfaanator, RobotNinjaHornets]

Amir0x: 4 / 11 [Kalor, Palmer_v1, ultron87, Zippedpinhead]

No Lynch: 3 / 11 [QuantumBro, Lord of Castamere, pants]

No option reached a majority. At the deadline, Kalor, the Ordinary Tourist, had a plurality of the votes, and was therefore lynched.

Night 4 has begun. Night 4 will end on Friday 3rd February at approximately 22:00 GMT.

Please do not post in this thread until Night 4 has finished.

I can't accept votes that take place a long time after the dead-line. There may be some days I can't make it back for the day-end perfectly on time and have to do it the following morning, which may or may not lend an unfair advantage to a particular side if the balance of the votes changes; and that advantage is generated by luck (i.e., whether I get delayed or not). The votes listed above are those up to the deadline and a small margin of time after it. In this case, it wouldn't have changed the result (Kalor lynch), but I want to make it clear now to prevent contention later.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Night will end shortly, just typing up the post now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The mood was dark in the hotel lounge. The tourists sat huddled round a wooden table, nursing what remained of the alcohol supplies quietly. Still not a mafia found... hopefully prospects would improve soon. The shock of seeing irfaanator's dismembered corpse hadn't helped the ambience, either.

Night 4 has ended. During the night, irfaanator the Ordinary Tourist was killed.

Day 5 has begun. Day 5 will end on Saturday 21st February at approximately 23:00 GMT.

You may now resume posting. Everyone got everything in on time tonight, so well done!

Top Bottom