• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG 2.0 |OT| of Ultimate Relaunch Party with Playstation MOVE!

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
If I was into MP I would try this, especially now with the Move implementation. Just can't excited about MP anymore unless it's with real life friends and then I usually prefer co-op. Maybe it's age...

Click

Banned
Thunderbear said:
If I was into MP I would try this, especially now with the Move implementation. Just can't excited about MP anymore unless it's with real life friends and then I usually prefer co-op. Maybe it's age...

Nice to know this bit of information... really.

Click

Banned
theBishop said:
MAG... so many problems, and yet it has no competition. I probably played more hours in MAG than any other game.

Same here. Besides Final Fantasy XI, where I played for over 320 something days, throughout almost 3 years, MAG is the game I've invested most time into. I believe I have played for around 800-900 hours between 5 different PSN IDs in MAG. You should see some other people that have almost 2,000 hours played on 1 account. Some of the Japanese clans have members that all over a thousand hours played. It's insane how much they love this game. :lol

Man

I love to go hunting with the Shotgun using PS Move. Not that I get more (or less) kills than with an Assault rifle but hip shooting feels very good with the ol'shotty.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
TacticalFox88 said:
256 players? O_O Holy shit. Please tell me there are vehicles to travel around the map easier.

Sometimes there are vehicles, but it's not a focus. It's not REALLY 256, in the sense that you'll only be facing a portion of those forces at any one time. Sure, all 200+ players are on the same map, but you won't be running off across the map to battle other platoons or squads. Just takes too long and doesn't accomplish much. Have to work with your team.

Man

TacticalFox88 said:
256 players? O_O Holy shit. Please tell me there are vehicles to travel around the map easier.
There are (some have four or five gunstations on them for different players).
Vehicles work more like spawn points though than straight up on-wheels combat.
It's a on-foot game mostly.

commish said:
Sometimes there are vehicles, but it's not a focus. It's not REALLY 256, in the sense that you'll only be facing a portion of those forces at any one time.
That's solid and expected design. You can't lump all two hundred+ soldiers together.

Game still runs briskly with 128+ players on screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_FEbTO8udg

TacticalFox88 said:

There are APCs and Humvees. Also, you can spawn in choppers or get dropped into combat via parachutes.

oneHeero

TacticalFox88 said:
Yup, no planes though unless that has changed. But you do parachute from one when you spawn on some maps.

oneHeero said:
Yup, no planes though unless that has changed. But you do parachute from one when you spawn on some maps.

You can call in A-10 strafing runs, but you can't control them. Unfortunately, you can't control choppers either. Maybe in the next game...

Apath

Does the Greatest Hits version include all of the DLC? If so, I'll use my $20 Best Buy coupon I got from Halo Reach and snag this for $10 :D

It's disturbing how much I've played this game. 21k+ Enemies Killed and 150 Grim Reaper ribbons. That's crazy. It's even crazier when I see players with almost 1000 Grims.

elfinke

Fantastic OP 2.0!

I played the everloving crap out of this when it first came out, then stopped due to other time/life constraints, despite loving it (also to do with vetting from the superb SVER faction with it's wonderful AG-94 + commando spec to the droll Raven faction and it's garbage AR... it was too hard adjusting from level 60 with all the perks back to level 1 :lol )

I've barely touched it since, but have been actively watching the forums and these new patches.

I've been looking for another MP console fix that isn't racing or football, so until Uber roll out their Monday Night Combat patch, I think I may have to jump back into the fray and see what's what!

Any chance of a SVERGAF/ValorGAF/RavenGAF deployment, especially now that clan support is (almost) fully functional? I'm happy to start all afresh again.

Das-J

Law of the West
gluv65 said:
Bravo TTP, great video MAG blog should post your video for a tutorial, on their site homepage and forums stickied for all too see.

I forwarded it to our community team - Great work as always TTP!

A.R.K

TTP said:

Awesome job TTP that was 5/5!!!!

"getting owned again, and again and again..." haha

That pointer not jittering around is how MOVE should be implemented in all FPS. That makes it so much better. I loved how it played with the MOVE controller and in the end you were owning every one else pretty well . The only concern I have is that it would take a lot of tuning to get to control like perfect as yours. And most ppl might give up before that. But I hope all devs provide that fine tuning to MOVE controls as Zipper has done here. Bravo Zipper!

This video now wants me to go buy MAG...damn you TTP :D

A.R.K said:

That pointer not jittering around is how MOVE should be implemented in all FPS. That makes it so much better. I loved how it played with the MOVE controller and in the end you were owning every one else pretty well . The only concern I have is that it would take a lot of tuning to get to control like perfect as yours. And most ppl might give up before that. But I hope all devs provide that fine tuning to MOVE controls as Zipper has done here. Bravo Zipper!

They have a preset one of which is Competitive, which TTP said he tweak his from their and its pretty much close to competitive.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
A.R.K said:

As I said (not sure in which thread now :D), there are some pre-sets already. I think "Competitive" is a good start.

Also, I think once you get accustomed to the motion controls in MAG or whatever, it will be much easier to get into future games without too much tweaking. Just like we already do with traditional controllers.

Edit: beated

Psykotik

great video TTP. gonna show it to all my friends.

what (updated?) settings are you using now for move? any changes from the number you gave in the previous OT?

J-Rzez

Great Vid TTP, very in depth. I don't see anything that screams for me to drop the money on it. Though if one of my friends get it, I'll have to try it out, as my playstyle is quite different with more abrupt direction changes. The sticky aim plus dead zone is very subtle, and it seems to remove jitters which would be a major problem in shooter.

I'd have to give it a go personally, but, so far I don't see a real competitive advantage over a controller. Now, that doesn't mean it may help those people who are just not that good in shooters because they can't adapt to a controller well enough though.

Nice OT2 btw Lag.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Psykotik said:
great video TTP. gonna show it to all my friends.

what (updated?) settings are you using now for move? any changes from the number you gave in the previous OT?

I changed a lot of stuff for the purpose of this video and I don't remember what my last "sweet spot" setting was anymore. :lol

Doesn't matter tho, as the more I play, the better it feels even without bothering about tweaking the controls too much. In fact, I suspect the initial tweaking mania should be put on hold until your muscle memory settles. Play for a few hours, without changing anything (use "Competitive" controls pre-set perhaps) and only than take a look at the control options.

REMEMBER THE TURNING AREA VALUES ISSUE tho (the one I describe in my video). That's something you want to get "fixed" no matter how used you are to the controls.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
J-Rzez said:
Great Vid TTP, very in depth. I don't see anything that screams for me to drop the money on it. Though if one of my friends get it, I'll have to try it out, as my playstyle is quite different with more abrupt direction changes. The sticky aim plus dead zone is very subtle, and it seems to remove jitters which would be a major problem in shooter.

I'd have to give it a go personally, but, so far I don't see a real competitive advantage over a controller. Now, that doesn't mean it may help those people who are just not that good in shooters because they can't adapt to a controller well enough though.

Nice OT2 btw Lag.

Yeah, I don't think Move offers a competitive advantage, but it definitely feels much better once you get used to it. After my time with MAG/Move, I switched to the DS3 to get the feeling of it post-Move acclimation and I was like "WTF is this shit?". Not due to performance, mind you, but to pure feeling.

Basically, I can shoot at stuff with both, but I enjoying doing it more with the Move.

J-Rzez

TTP said:
Yeah, I don't think Move offers a competitive advantage, but it definitely feels much better once you get used to it. After my time with MAG/Move, I switched to the DS3 to get the feeling of it post-Move acclimation and I was like "WTF is this shit?". Not due to performance, mind you, but to pure feeling.

Basically, I can shoot at stuff with both, but I enjoying doing it more with the Move.

I can certainly see Move having the edge in "fun factor".

thuway

Thanks TTP. After all the hype about the Motion Controller wars, it actually seems as if Move is something that lived up to its hype. This is only the first generation title too- the future looks to be pretty bright once developer's put some creative thinking behind it.

Victrix

*beard*
TTP said:

Awesome video. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I'm very tempted to go grab a Move just to test it out in MAG, and I just started playing MAG yesterday!

I'd be curious to hear Zippers response about the bounding box issues with scoped aim, that looks pretty awkward.

edit: And no stabbing gestures for commands that can be done with a button. Bad Zipper! You should know better from annoying wrist flicks on the Wiimote. Knife stab = butan.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
In response to Click's comment about Escalation dividing the player count.. I still don't have the Inter..whatever DLC and the player account for the most part seems the same as it always was. Most in sabo, dom and acqui oddly split now, and no one in the new one. While I'd love to try the new mode out..I don't see why I have to spend $10 when I'm still getting plenty of content out of MAG. When this last map came out did everyone at first play only that non-stop? In that case I might be left out when Escalation comes out. But for some reason I think Sabo will always be the go to I need a quick game of MAG.

In other news I finally got to feel just how OP shotguns are. Yeah..not fun. I also disagree that LMGs are that amazing as of now, at least not as good compared to the old school OPLMG days. They seem fine in that I still need to pump someone full of 5-7 rounds while a shotgun can just instagib. If anything the heavy machine guns seem pretty damn strong now.

edit: also just broke the 120 hour mark. nothing to compared to some here..i know :lol

Mr.Green

distrbnce said:
Zooming in and actually sniping are 2 different things. TTP gave some advice about not having your iron site bounding box smaller than your run-and-gun, so maybe that would help.

Either way, being able to cover/snipe multiple positions without moving your body is invaluable... I'm not sure how you can say it's shit. If you're running then jumping into a sniper position I think most would say you're doing it wrong.

TTP acknowledged the problem I mentioned in his 2.0 video. Doing it wrong my @$$.

Think I got over my first hump with Move. Wasn't thinking nearly as much about the controls and more on the action, felt more like an asset to my team.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ok here are the control settings I'm using with the Move.

Player rotation - 70
Player pitch - 30
Gesture sensitivity - 100 (you need to thrust the Move forward to perform knife attack - don't worry this wont cause unintentional knifing)
Scope sensitivity - 100
Normal play - 60 / 40 / 80
Fixed iron sights - OFF (If you have this to On you are doing it wrong)
Iron sights - 0 / 10 / 40

Tip: when shooting, don't bother with doing so with short bursts. There is no recoil, so if you can keep the Move steady (which is fairly easy since the deadzone is quite large) just hold the trigger pulled till the target goes down. :)

So, after 3 hours total with Move I am at a 1:1 kd ratio. The only problems I have with it are menu navigation is terrible. Grenade throwing can be a disaster when you hit the bounding box. Oh and navigation for squad and platoon leading is terrible. It was never very good but now its even harder. other than that I am quickly picking back up where I left off.:D

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Click said:
Nice to know this bit of information... really.

Hey this is a discussion forum, didn't mean to offend. It's a valuable opinion in the sense that not everyone plays MP, and just throwing in a SP campaign even if it's just you and the bots with some cup type scenario would have been fun for me and a +1 sale.

So no need to insult. I am looking forward to the first (proper) Socom outing coming soonish.

Click

Banned
worldrevolution said:
In response to Click's comment about Escalation dividing the player count.. I still don't have the Inter..whatever DLC and the player account for the most part seems the same as it always was. Most in sabo, dom and acqui oddly split now, and no one in the new one. While I'd love to try the new mode out..I don't see why I have to spend $10 when I'm still getting plenty of content out of MAG. When this last map came out did everyone at first play only that non-stop? In that case I might be left out when Escalation comes out. But for some reason I think Sabo will always be the go to I need a quick game of MAG.

In other news I finally got to feel just how OP shotguns are. Yeah..not fun. I also disagree that LMGs are that amazing as of now, at least not as good compared to the old school OPLMG days. They seem fine in that I still need to pump someone full of 5-7 rounds while a shotgun can just instagib. If anything the heavy machine guns seem pretty damn strong now.

edit: also just broke the 120 hour mark. nothing to compared to some here..i know :lol

Interdiction was played a lot when it first came out. Everyone wanted to see how the game mode was and a good chunk of the MAG active playerbase back then actually bought and played it. There would be at least 300-400 players from each PMC playing Inter. during the first few weeks of its release and it didn't seem like it was hurting the other game modes. After a while, once people figured out the game mode really wasn't that fun to play, a lot of people stopped playing it and went back to their game mode(s) of choice.

For about a month or so, there wasn't enough people playing Interdiction, which resulted in Raven having an unfair advantage because they held the 2 contracts that gave a decreased reuse timer on all leadership abilities. Nobody played Inter. so the contracts never changed factions. I eventually uninstalled Interdiction so I could use the Directives feature, which gave +100% XP bonus. Even with so many people playing Interdiction back then, the other game modes didn't suffer much at all in terms of playercount. Now, there is a good amount of players playing Interdiction again because of the crazy XP bonus Zipper is giving to players that finish a round of Inter. Not sure if I'll reinstall it...

The upcoming Escalation DLC is going to be really cool. I spoke about how the game mode works and how to properly play it before. If Zipper makes a few tweaks and additions like giving us a good way to notify each PMC who's holding what letter, it will most likely be as popular as Sabotage is. The queue time is minimal because it's just 1 platoon from each PMC, not the 2 platoons required for Acquisition and 4 platoons for Domination. Like I said, Escalation is going to be like Sabotage but with a "King of the Hill" type of game mode mixed into one game mode. It's Sabotage with 3 PMCs then turns into KotH and it keeps switching back and forth unless there is 1 dominant PMC in the game. I can't wait until we use Clan Deploy for Escalation. It's going to be so fun queuing up with 16 players (2 squads) or more of my clan and owning Raven and Valor clans all night. Or having multiple clans work together and determine which PMC has the best clans overall.

IMO, the LMGs are almost as OP'd as they were back in the day. I say almost because the effective range isn't as crazy as it used to be and the reload time (even with skills upgraded) was lengthened. I used to be able to snipe snipers with the LMG, lol. Now, I can hit them sometimes but they seem to be able to get away and hide better for some reason. However, medium to close range, the LMG is as deadly as ever. It's super accurate again with all of the skill and weapon upgrades. I can easily take out 6 or more players simultaneously with it again like I used to be able to before they nerfed it. With the added damage to all weapons, sometimes 2-3 shots with the LMG (not even MMG) will drop someone especially if it's a headshot. Also, because the Assault Rifles and SMGs were also buffed, the degree in which LMGs are overpowered is not as bad as it used to be. Honestly, if got rid of the reduced recoil skill for LMGs and kept it for only Assault Rifles, I believe LMGs / MMGs would be more balanced.

I know I've been complaining about weapon balance in 2.0, but all I want Zipper to do is make MINOR changes to these weapon categories. Take away reduced recoil skill for LMGs. Decrease the effective range of shotguns. Get rid of the refire rate skills for sniper rifles. Remove the refire rate skills for SMGs because they fire fast enough without skill upgrades. Actually, remove all refire rate skills for all guns. They got noticeable increase in damage so refire rate skills are not needed. That's all I want... not for these weapon categories to be nerfed to hell again.

Victrix

*beard*
Spent some more time with this tonight. I was streaming it, so a few viewers joined up - but I don't have a PS3 headset handy, so that was sort of pointless. I'll see about picking up a bluetooth headset sometime soon.

Not a lot of squad leaders giving orders, but a few were, which was cool. Proximity audio inevitably results in hilarity.

Getting a better feel for the modes, and the maps more slowly.

Sum total of unlocks for the night was level 10 and a Medkit. Not exactly exciting :| Credit gain seems really slow.

We just unlocked Domination, but supposedly that's causing lockups, so I don't know if we should play that until they patch.

Music owns.

OP has been updated with TTP's awesome review.

:lol @ move.believe

Kak.efes said:
Have they added any new maps with 2.0? It gets quite boring playing Domination over and over again.

No. New maps come in form of DLC packs, which add a new game mode along with 3 faction-specific maps.

aristotle

Great video TTP as always.

Is the extra paid DLC worth getting for MAG? I bought MAG day one, but I haven't played in months and now I want to get back into it for Move.

Top Bottom