• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG 2.0 |OT| of Ultimate Relaunch Party with Playstation MOVE!

Victrix

*beard*
bucknuticus said:
So I got move was eyeing at getting MAG, how nooby friendly is it?

I *just* started playing with a friend and it's not too bad. There's the usual 'wtf is going on, what killed me, how do I get there' sort of stuff, about the same as any new FPS really.

Try to get with a group, it's way more fun if you're playing with a team. Or at least have a mic so you can talk to your squad!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Does anyone have good settings for the Move controls? Is there a way to keep the crosshair centered?

I'm finding the Move to be very disorienting and making me a far worse player. (Guy standing in front of me, back turned, and I'm blasting him with a shotgun and missing because I'm aiming everywhere but at him.)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
distrbnce said:
TTP, your new calibration settings are great, very... crisp feeling. Curious though... 40/10 on the numbers that you said should be very close? After watching your video I'm all conflicted on using them. :lol

But, I came here to say, there IS recoil with Move... It's just not represented by crosshair shake. Do the obvious experiment, the bullets scatter more if you keep firing, and with an upper-left tendency. I mean, unless you only consider recoil to be the upward movement of the cursor that is... but I see it as the loss of accuracy whilst spraying. Yes/No?

The rotation values have to be close IF the respective sensitivity settings are the very same. As I demoed in the video, changing the sensitivity alters bounding box size. In my settings, I have different sensitivity for normal aim and iron sight so in order to avoid unintentional camera movement when swapping near the edges of the bounding boxes I had to tweak the turning values "blindly" by performing the "edge check".

As for the recoil, I'm not getting any. I can empty a full clip on a distant target and the red cross representing hits is constantly blinking during the process. Meaning not a single bullet is missing it. Of course this can be due to "friendly collision" detection tho.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
IPoopStandingUp said:
Does anyone have good settings for the Move controls? Is there a way to keep the crosshair centered?

I'm finding the Move to be very disorienting and making me a far worse player. (Guy standing in front of me, back turned, and I'm blasting him with a shotgun and missing because I'm aiming everywhere but at him.)

Try these
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23705958&postcount=87

And you need to get used to it. No worries, it will click eventually.

JardeL

Thread title should be " Ultimate hard freezes & 100m range shotguns party " or something. MAG 2.0 is totally ruined.

It was much more fun to play before 2.0 . Fuck you Zipper.

Dyno

JardeL said:
Thread title should be " Ultimate hard freezes & 100m range shotguns party " or something. MAG 2.0 is totally ruined.

It was much more fun to play before 2.0 . Fuck you Zipper.

Aww this is a shame. After the glowing OP I was tempted.

Carl

Man i suck at Move controls.

I mean, after logging only about 30 hours since i got the game on release, i'm not the most fantastic player anyway...but wow, it's hard to get used to!

Still, i'll keep at it

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Carl said:

I mean, after logging only about 30 hours since i got the game on release, i'm not the most fantastic player anyway...but wow, it's hard to get used to!

Still, i'll keep at it

I'd say MAG is not the friendliest FPS to get used to the Move with, but yeah, keep it up and you'll eventually get accustomed to it ;)

Perhaps try not to rush into firefights at the beginning. Stay back, offer some covering fire. Then, gradually move into the shit storms.

KiKaL

I'm enjoying move a lot but I don't know if I can see myself ever replacing a controller for competitive play. It's a lot of fun to use but and amazing for some situations, but other situations seem terrible. Granted I've only put about 5hours in with it so my feelings could change.

I've usually do about just as well as I do with a controller but I feel there are still a lot of kills I would be able to get with a controller that I don't get with the Move. Close quarter battles are just impossible for me. I try and Knife someone and next thing I know the camera is going crazy and I'm having to figure out where I am and to find the enemy again before they knife me. This could be fixed with making a button knife instead of a movement with the move. Distance battles are fine though and I can see myself becoming even better with Move at them.

Overall Move is a lot of fun, but if your truly competitive it will be a hard adjustment dying in situations your normally wouldn't.

edit- Just thinking about the post above about lockups. Has it gotten way better for anyone else? No clue if this is related but thinking about it, I have not had a lock up since I got Move. Before I got maybe 3-4 lockups in probably 4-5 hours. I haven't had a lockup since the past 5 or so hours of Move Mag play. Probably a coincidence.

darkwing

old?

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/10/mag-2-0-bug-fix-patch-in-progress/
We just wanted to drop a quick note to say that we’re well underway addressing a few disconnection and freezing issues that some users have encountered after updating to MAG 2.0. We’ve identified the causes and are working to get the fixes out to you as soon as possible. We don’t have an exact date on when it’ll be available, but it’ll certainly be sooner than later.

We’ll keep you updated on the patch’s status as best we can. Thanks for sticking with us through the growing pains – a ton of work went into MAG 2.0 and we want you to enjoy it!

my clan is totally loving 2.0 (except for the freezing issue), its more of a gun fight now

distrbnce

Banned
TTP said:
The rotation values have to be close IF the respective sensitivity settings are the very same. As I demoed in the video, changing the sensitivity alters bounding box size. In my settings, I have different sensitivity for normal aim and iron sight so in order to avoid unintentional camera movement when swapping near the edges of the bounding boxes I had to tweak the turning values "blindly" by performing the "edge check".
As for the recoil, I'm not getting any. I can empty a full clip on a distant target and the red cross representing hits is constantly blinking during the process. Meaning not a single bullet is missing it. Of course this can be due to "friendly collision" detection tho.

Man, I do not have the patience experiment with all those settings, so thank you for getting so in depth with it. I wish there was some darwinian algorithm that would slowly make very very tiny evolutionary adjustments over time (judging by k:d I guess) until it really suited your play style.

I tested the recoil thing by going to Training, getting a good distance between myself and 2 wall panels, then did bursts to the center of one and sprayed the center of another, both while holding Move as still as I could. There's a pretty obvious difference in that case, and other than that I just kinda notice my bullets spread kinda strangely when I just spray at enemies. What gun did you try? I was using P90. Perhaps there is some help going on there, but I bet it is to some degree less accurate.

Carl said:
Still, i'll keep at it

The first time you stumble upon 3 enemies and are able to take them out before they know what's goin' on, you'll be hooked.

darkwing said:
old?

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/10/mag-2-0-bug-fix-patch-in-progress/

my clan is totally loving 2.0 (except for the freezing issue), its more of a gun fight now

Good news on the patch... So what would you say MAG was before? (I just started with 2.0)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
distrbnce said:
Good news on the patch... So what would you say MAG was before? (I just started with 2.0)

Frantically emptying magazines at head level towards zig-zagging jumping knifers. Which was actually more fun than it sounds.

darkwing

D2M15 said:
Frantically emptying magazines at head level towards zig-zagging jumping knifers. Which was actually more fun than it sounds.

LOL yeah they were like jumping jack-rabbit zombies, you can empty a full mag in their bodies and they won't die, but now, one of my clanmate said it reminds him of Counterstrike, you burst fire and the enemy just dies

Carl

KiKaL said:
Close quarter battles are just impossible for me. I try and Knife someone and next thing I know the camera is going crazy and I'm having to figure out where I am and to find the enemy again before they knife me. This could be fixed with making a button knife instead of a movement with the move. Distance battles are fine though and I can see myself becoming even better with Move at them.

Pretty much this. After a couple more hours today i am getting quite a lot better at distance fighting. The Move is brilliant for this. However, when i get up close, with more than one enemy, i'm completely buggered.

distrbnce

Banned
Carl said:
Pretty much this. After a couple more hours today i am getting quite a lot better at distance fighting. The Move is brilliant for this. However, when i get up close, with more than one enemy, i'm completely buggered.

From the KZ3 Beta thread... I think knife should be mapped to circle, and use KZ's twist to reload, or even shake to reload, as you have the entire reload animation to correct your aim again.

KiKaL

I like the idea of the twist to reload. I think that would help a lot just because while I thrust the Move controller forwards it's impossible to not have the camera go crazy. It probably doesn't help that I am maybe 6 feet away from the Move camera.

Carl

distrbnce said:
From the KZ3 Beta thread... I think knife should be mapped to circle, and use KZ's twist to reload, or even shake to reload, as you have the entire reload animation to correct your aim again.

That would be much better. Using the knife always makes the camera go crazy; it really needs to be mapped to a button in my opinion.

Thanks for the responses guys, is this game more skill based or do you need to level up to get good weapons to even be competitive?

Man

bucknuticus said:
Thanks for the responses guys, is this game more skill based or do you need to level up to get good weapons to even be competitive?
Weapons get better but not impossibly better. You're still pretty deadly at lvl 1.

distrbnce

Banned
bucknuticus said:

I'm not as into the technical details as someone like Click, and the only gun I've unlocked is the P90, but I haven't felt underpowered.

I was really wanting to unlock the reflex scope for the longest, but when I had the level/points, I opted for the suppressor 'cause it seems like I'm doing really well now without even iron sighting.

Click

Banned
distrbnce said:
I'm not as into the technical details as someone like Click, and the only gun I've unlocked is the P90, but I haven't felt underpowered.

I was really wanting to unlock the reflex scope for the longest, but when I had the level/points, I opted for the suppressor 'cause it seems like I'm doing really well now without even iron sighting.

Don't use the silencer unless you have the respective skills upgraded for it. A silencer without the skill upgrades is basically useless because you'll show up on people's radars just like if you're not using a silencer.

The red dot / reflex sight is one of the best attachment for any weapon. It'll add more accuracy to the weapon's stats and you'll have a better shot compared to the shitty iron sights.

F/P90 is the best, most overpowered weapon in the game IMO. With the refire rate skills upgraded and a silencer (again, with skills upgraded), it's basically a 50-round head-shotting laser beam. Medium to close range, it's extremely beastly. You don't even have to zoom and can just hip fire people with ease.

distrbnce

Banned
Click said:
Don't use the silencer unless you have the respective skills upgraded for it. A silencer without the skill upgrades is basically useless because you'll show up on people's radars just like if you're not using a silencer.

The red dot / reflex sight is one of the best attachment for any weapon. It'll add more accuracy to the weapon's stats and you'll have a better shot compared to the shitty iron sights.

F/P90 is the best, most overpowered weapon in the game IMO. With the refire rate skills upgraded and a silencer (again, with skills upgraded), it's basically a 50-round head-shotting laser beam. Medium to close range, it's extremely beastly. You don't even have to zoom and can just hip fire people with ease.

Well great, I'm set on the gun but gotta re-earn my 1500. I usually prefer rifles, is there anything M4 like for Raven? Any reason not to use it?

Click

Banned
More people need to vote on which faction they want the new GAF clan to be on. It doesn't seem like we're getting enough interest so far...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409449

distrbnce said:
Well great, I'm set on the gun but gotta re-earn my 1500. I usually prefer rifles, is there anything M4 like for Raven? Any reason not to use it?

I'm not sure what you're even asking.

Like I said, the F/P90 is the best gun in the game IMO. But if you want to use an Assault Rifle, the R-553 is really good. ATAC2000 is nice too but I don't like it as much as the other 2 PMCs' T2 ARs.

distrbnce

Banned
Click said:
I'm not sure what you're even asking.

Like I said, the F/P90 is the best gun in the game IMO. But if you want to use an Assault Rifle, the R-553 is really good. ATAC2000 is nice too but I don't like it as much as the other 2 PMCs' T2 ARs.

Thanks, I was just asking for your O.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
distrbnce said:
I tested the recoil thing by going to Training, getting a good distance between myself and 2 wall panels, then did bursts to the center of one and sprayed the center of another, both while holding Move as still as I could. There's a pretty obvious difference in that case, and other than that I just kinda notice my bullets spread kinda strangely when I just spray at enemies. What gun did you try? I was using P90. Perhaps there is some help going on there, but I bet it is to some degree less accurate.

Perhaps there is some bullet spray but reticule stays there right? It jumps a tiny bit left and right to me (as you can see in the vid) but it's pretty much fixed basically. Whatever the case, there is definitely a difference between DS3 and Move with regards to recoil. Did you try switching back and forth (you can do this in game)?

For recoil test I only tried the default rifle in the training grounds. In actual online combat I have all the accuracy related skills/equipments active so it's hard to tell what's the deal there.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So while I wait for GAF to decide on which PMC to roll..I joined one of those random big clans on Raven and had a good time running with some folks. However, I realized that even though it's fun to have a competent team running together and completing objectives, the games usually end way too fast and nobody comes out with more than 200-300 points. I queued with them 4-5x and each game was a 5-7 minute win. Again, yay winning, but for someone who's level 30 on his third PMC..I kinda just wanna level..and playing solo is definitely way better for that. When I would play with GAF we never really had more than a full squad of 8 so games weren't stupid lopsided. Plenty of time for point farming.

Anyway.. if you haven't voted go vote in the thread Click linked above.

distrbnce

Banned
TTP said:
Perhaps there is some bullet spray but reticule stays there right? It jumps a tiny bit left and right to me (as you can see in the vid) but it's pretty much fixed basically. Whatever the case, there is definitely a difference between DS3 and Move with regards to recoil. Did you try switching back and forth (you can do this in game)?

For recoil test I only tried the default rifle in the training grounds. In actual online combat I have all the accuracy related skills/equipments active so it's hard to tell what's the deal there.
Yeah, the reticle stays still but the disadvantage of recoil is still there (loss of accuracy).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
distrbnce said:
Yeah, the reticle stays still but the disadvantage of recoil is still there (loss of accuracy).

Not sure we are talking about the same stuff :)

I concur both suffer from bullets spray (indicated by the 4 crosshairs lines departing from the middle as you keep shooting), but only the DS3 controls suffer from actual recoil (which has the whole cursor drifting upwards as you keep shooting).

Here is a quick and dirty comparison shot.

Full clip unloaded with the Move to the left. Full clip unloaded with the DS3 to the right.

zjce3l.jpg

Do we agree on this? ;)

Click

Banned
TTP said:
I concur both suffer from bullets spray (indicated by the 4 crosshairs lines departing from the middle as you keep shooting), but only the DS3 controls suffer from actual recoil (which has the whole cursor drifting upwards as you keep shooting).

Kind of unfair how Zipper is giving Move players an advantage over DS3 players. They should have recoil on all weapons but it doesn't matter because almost every weapon category has reduce recoil skills, so you can make every weapon into laser beams regardless of the controller you use. Just that Move players don't even have to invest in these skills and they'll still be firing laser beam guns.

Can you post a screenshot of a comparison between the 2 controllers' bullet spread from medium range (50m+)? Also, are you using weapon attachments (sights / foregrip - I don't see any in the screenshots) and do you have any of the reduced recoil skills upgraded?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Click said:
Kind of unfair how Zipper is giving Move players an advantage over DS3 players. They should have recoil on all weapons but it doesn't matter because almost every weapon category has reduce recoil skills, so you can make every weapon into laser beams regardless of the controller you use. Just that Move players don't even have to invest in these skills and they'll still be firing laser beam guns.

Can you post a screenshot of a comparison between the 2 controllers' bullet spread from medium range (50m+)? Also, are you using weapon attachments (sights / foregrip - I don't see any in the screenshots) and do you have any of the reduced recoil skills upgraded?

None of that stuff matters in the training grounds right?

Here is the pic you asked.

Shooting at the distant wall from here, standing up...
seys7d.jpg

... yields these results
9rn78p.jpg

(aimed at the around the bottom of the wall in both cases)
Again, bullet spread is the same. DS3 version has the aggravating recoil in effect.

This is assuming you can keep your Move steady.

I guess doing the same test online, with my developed character (stability at max + grip), should see the DS3 spread reduced by virtue of less recoil.

distrbnce

Banned
Okay, I didn't go as far as Move vs. DS3, I just noticed that if I shot burst with Move I had a tighter group than if I fired continuously, which to me indicated some amount of recoil is in there, it's just not represented with cursor jumping.

The main point is, you must still use burst shots for accuracy. "No recoil" to me means that that isn't necessary.

Bread

Banned
I finally got around to playing this with Move, it's so hard to get used to, but I was definitely getting better as the game went on.

Click

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
I just saw a dude with 14 Veterans and a total of over 1.500 hours played. Jesus Christ. :lol

I've seen people with over 20 vets and over 2,000 hours played. :lol

It'll be much tougher to vet now because of the increased level cap... which is what Zipper was going for, because they want people to pay for the extra characters slots.

Vetting is pointless except for the first time (you get a slight XP bonus for vetting once). I wish they implemented "veteran perks" that so many people have already suggested. This game is too difficult for newbies and lowbies, levels 1 - 40. Veteran perks and making levels 1-40 more fun / easier to get through would've made MAG gain and retain so many players. It boggles my mind why Zipper have not made these extremely important additions and improvements to the game, especially when so many people have been begging them for it.

j-wood

Just got into the game last night, and I have a couple of quick questions

1. How does this queue system work? I go to launch a game and it shows SVER having 12/32 and Valor having 0/32 and I'll immediately get into a game.

2. What and how does the contract system work?

I decided to play for the valor PMC. Any negatives to that?

j-wood said:
Just got into the game last night, and I have a couple of quick questions

1. How does this queue system work? I go to launch a game and it shows SVER having 12/32 and Valor having 0/32 and I'll immediately get into a game.

2. What and how does the contract system work?

1. You get into a game that was launched before you entered the queue.

2. After a PMC wins a certain amount of games of a certain type (for example, Sabotage), they get a contract for that game type, giving them a bonus. You can win 2 contracts for each game type, which are identical, but the contracts stack. Winning a Sabotage contract gives you a 5% XP boost and it is rewarded to every player from the PMC.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
patsu said:
Does the Move gun casing work well with MAG ?
It wouldn't work because your right hand needs constant access to the buttons on top (to jump, crouch, reload etc...) and your left hand is occupied with the Navigation/Nunchuck controller.

It's perfectly suited to HotD style shoot-em-ups though.

Click

Banned
j-wood said:

My suggestion is for you to remake your character as a Raven or SVER before you're too high of a level. Valor has the worst random players (blue dots), skill-wise, so most of the time, you will lose... a lot. Unless you're playing with good Valor clans, don't expect to get revived much, don't expect too much teamwork, and don't expect to win too many games. The only good thing about being Valor is their weapons. They have the best, most overpowered LMG (Mk 46 Mod 1), an incredibly powerful, accurate, fast-firing SMG (KP5), and great Assault Rifles (SCAR-LW / SCAR-HW).

Oh yeah, by the looks of it, we'll most likely make the new GAF clan in Raven...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409449

Bread

Banned
Ok I just played 3 games and I finally got the Move controls down, wow this game is fucking awesome. There were multiple occasions where I was in a room with 3 or 4 enemies and I mowed them all down, these controls are perfect.

distrbnce

Banned
Bread said:
Ok I just played 3 games and I finally got the Move controls down, wow this game is fucking awesome. There were multiple occasions where I was in a room with 3 or 4 enemies and I mowed them all down, these controls are perfect.

Yeah, this is the scenario where Move has really shined for me. I'll walk into a room with 3 enemies and I still get this feeling of "okay, I can take one out but that's probably it" and I keep feeling that way until they're all dead. Almost too easy to take out tight groups.

Click

Banned
K, updated the Online thread.

It'd be cool if GAF plays together again. 2.0 is a really good patch. Only thing that sucks is the freezing and slightly unbalanced weapons. Maybe the patch will come tomorrow. Whenever it is, it needs to be soon.

M_A_C

Bread said:

I agree. After using TTP's setting for a while and getting used to it, it's really fast and accurate.

Top Bottom