• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, why would you wait to crew? Nothing changes if you just do it Main Phase.
with weldfast engineer it does matter a bit. You could buff a servo to crew a vehicle. Same with tool craft exemplar, even worse if your only artifact is a vehicle you'd want to wait with the crewing until that trigger resolved in case of removal.

All that is easily possible with the current shortcut in place though.

edit: apparently "pass priority" doesn't work that way in main phase 1? That'd would be bull, it doesn't get any more explicit.

with weld fast engineer it does matter a bit. You could buff a servo to crew vehicle. Same with tool craft exemplar, even worse if your only artifact is a vehicle you'd want to wait with the crewing until that trigger resolved in case of removal.

All that is easily possible with the current shortcut in place though.

That's fair, yeah- Beginning of Combat triggers are relevant, for sure. In this case, I'd have to watch the video to better understand. I will, though.

edit: apparently "pass priority" doesn't work that way in main phase 1? That'd would be bull, it doesn't get any more explicit.

Not sure if I follow. Priority passing works with Active Player -> Non-Active Player, right? Once priority has been passed twice with nothing done, you move on?

One of my direct reports actually pulled me aside at work to complain about this today, lolz.

What's the point of making combat, go to combat, etc. equivalent to just passing priority once? You're never going to skip to beginning of combat from your upkeep or draw step making that particular shortcut not a shortcut in any way. Pass Priority is also a much more commonly applicable term for non English speakers to use in MTG in addition.

I think the issue here is that if you think about this as a shortcut it's easy to understand how it works, but you're not necessarily going to be thinking of it that way. If you're in your main phase and for whatever reason your goal is to move to the beginning of combat step, far and away the most obvious and natural way to do that would be to start by saying explicitly what you're moving to: the start of combat. This ruling, in order to try to prevent a different kind of linguistic trickery, creates this situation where you have to know this precise trick (straight-up declaring the move and the action you take at BoC in the same sentence) to ensure you always accomplish your goal instead of advancing further.

What's the point of making combat, go to combat, etc. equivalent to just passing priority once? You're never going to skip to beginning of combat from your upkeep or draw step making that particular shortcut not a shortcut in any way. Pass Priority is also a much more commonly applicable term for non English speakers to use in MTG in addition.
"Pass priority" is hardly a common phrase. Most players don't even know what priority is, and I think it isn't unreasonable for players to name the step/phase they want to go to instead, implicitly asking if the opponent wants to respond.

The thing is, why would you wait to crew? Nothing changes if you just do it Main Phase.
Magic instinct is to wait for the last moment possible to perform an action, and for crewing vehicles to attack, that's during start of combat.

After really pondering, I think I am wrong.

Shortcuts aside, if someone says, "Combat?", they could be implying the end of their first Main Phase. Then, in the Beginning of Combat, you need to pass priority again.

Anyway. Combat is super fucked lol

Magic instinct is to wait for the last moment possible to perform an action, and for crewing vehicles to attack, that's during start of combat.

Definitely. I have gotten burned by that ever since I learned the concept. For example, how many times have you (global you) forgotten to play a land after deciding that you will 2nd Main it. I def have, a lot, haha. Now, I don't mess with it (casual player).

Interestingly, I used to work with someone that is on some sort of Rules Panel for WotC and is always credited on the rules revisions stuff. I didn't play Magic then, but I wish I did and knew him better to ask questions etc. He got free boxes, too, which makes me jealous :)

"Pass priority" is hardly a common phrase. Most players don't even know what priority is, and I think it isn't unreasonable for players to name the step/phase they want to go to instead, implicitly asking if the opponent wants to respond.
It should be a common phrase. You're passing priority whenever you ask if a spell resolves, you're passing priority whenever you cast a spell. Knowing priority is a big step to improving even at regular level.
It's pretty important in limited to force opponents to make certain moves. It's even more important in EDH where priority has to pass in order.

Heck it explains simple things like your opponents being unable to do shit after you resolved a spell until you do something that's not a mana ability or morph. So maybe tap the city of brass to cast the spell and remember to crack your fetchland before it resolves.

I wish someone would have drilled AP NAP at the same time into me as someone explained me first in last out on the stack and spells resolve top to bottom.
this kind of mentality teaches bad habits. You should always consider what's the most opportune moment instead of adhering to such a guideline. It also goes strictly against the "cast spells during control player's upkeep" school of thought.

Yeef

Again, the shortcut only applies at Competitive REL and higher. If you're playing in a Competitive tournament (like a GP or a PPTQ) or a Professional tournament (like the Pro Tour or Worlds) you should know the rules. It's just part of playing at that level.

Need to cut 2 cards for Origins Nissa and Origins Jace
//Artifacts
1 Ghirapur Orrery
1 Mana Crypt
1 Smokestack
1 Sol Ring
1 Storm Cauldron
1 Tangle Wire
1 Torpor Orb

//Enchantments
1 Back to Basics
1 Blood Moon
1 Burgeoning
1 Burning Earth
1 Copy Enchantment
1 Ghostly Prison
1 Greater Auramancy
1 Land's Edge
1 Mana Breach
1 Mana Vortex
1 Pendrell Mists
1 Primal Order
1 Prismatic Omen
1 Propaganda
1 Retreat to Coralhelm
1 Seismic Assault
1 Solitary Confinement
1 Sphere of Safety
1 Sterling Grove

//Instants
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Intuition
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Price of Progress

//Sorceries
1 Austere Command
1 Blasphemous Act
1 Boundless Realms
1 Burning of Xinye
1 Creeping Renaissance
1 Cultivate
1 Explore
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Life from the Loam
1 Personal Tutor
1 Replenish
1 Rude Awakening
1 Ruination
1 Scapeshift
1 Search for Tomorrow
1 Subterranean Tremors
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Sylvan Scrying
1 Wildfire

//Creatures
1 Academy Rector
1 Borborygmos Enraged
1 Courser of Kruphix
1 Dragonlord Dromoka
1 Eternal Witness
1 Knight of the Reliquary
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Sun Titan
1 Swans of Bryn Argoll
1 Tireless Tracker
I was thinking Sakura Tribe Elder for jace but am Drawing blanks on what to cut for Nissa. Also was considering a splendid reclamation and realized I can play vesuva for an easier scapeshift kill, now only need 21 lands to kill a whole table.

Copycat is warping the metagame around it. It actually didn't convert very well specifically because it was such an obviously powerful deck that players could next level it pretty efficiently.

bigkrev

Copycat is warping the metagame around it. It actually didn't convert very well specifically because it was such an obviously powerful deck that players could next level it pretty efficiently.

Yeah. Ben Starks comments of "Jeskai Saheeli is a control deck with 8 bad cards" comment really sticks out.

bigkrev

Also, it's interesting that the decks hit by banings:
Mardu Vehicles- still good
B/G Delirium- still playable, but the Snake version appears better
U/W- deader than dead. No Avacyn at all!

I was thinking Sakura Tribe Elder for jace but am Drawing blanks on what to cut for Nissa. Also was considering a splendid reclamation and realized I can play vesuva for an easier scapeshift kill, now only need 21 lands to kill a whole table.

Mulch?
Yavimaya Elder?
Greenseeker?

Mulch?
Yavimaya Elder?
Greenseeker?
I'm more looking at what to cut than what to add. Mulch is good am also considering Krupix' Insight (mill 6 all enchantments in hand), Yavimaya Elder is a bit slow imo as is Greenseeker.
Currently thinking of cutting courser of Kruphix and switched Burning of Xinye for Destructive force as the former only affects a single player.

I have a consecrated sphinx lying around right now I could also add.

Santiako

Ghirapur Orrery, Explore, Borborygmos Enraged, Burning of Xinye are the first things I'd probably cut.

I'm more looking at what to cut than what to add. Mulch is good am also considering Krupix' Insight (mill 6 all enchantments in hand), Yavimaya Elder is a bit slow imo as is Greenseeker.
Currently thinking of cutting courser of Kruphix and switched Burning of Xinye for Destructive force as the former only affects a single player.

I have a consecrated sphinx lying around right now I could also add.

Oh, I thought you were looking to swap - that makes sense. I have a casual Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant deck (60 card) and what I like about Greenseeker is the ability to turn non-land draws into lands in hand. But yeah, you probably have a better grasp of what your deck needs.

Looks fun / weird, though! Now that I read your post more accurately, lol, do you feel Snapcaster is super important? I feel like you would want more colour-efficiency... Are the Swans crucial?

EDIT: I see the Swans + draw interaction since you are damaging them. Neat, lol. But I wonder if it will come up, given one card... depends on redundancy vs. hilarity, I guess :) Specifically thinking about O Nissa.

Ghirapur Orrery, Explore, Borborygmos Enraged, Burning of Xinye are the first things I'd probably cut.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm already a bit past that built. Current is:
//Artifacts
1 Ghirapur Orrery
1 Mana Crypt
1 Smokestack
1 Sol Ring
1 Storm Cauldron
1 Torpor Orb

//Enchantments
1 Back to Basics
1 Blood Moon
1 Burgeoning
1 Burning Earth
1 Copy Enchantment
1 Ghostly Prison
1 Greater Auramancy
1 Land's Edge
1 Mana Breach
1 Mana Vortex
1 Pendrell Mists
1 Primal Order
1 Prismatic Omen
1 Propaganda
1 Retreat to Coralhelm
1 Seismic Assault
1 Solitary Confinement
1 Sphere of Safety
1 Sterling Grove

//Instants
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Intuition
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Price of Progress

//Sorceries
1 Austere Command
1 Blasphemous Act
1 Boundless Realms
1 Creeping Renaissance
1 Cultivate
1 Destructive Force
1 Explore
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Life from the Loam
1 Personal Tutor
1 Replenish
1 Rude Awakening
1 Ruination
1 Scapeshift
1 Search for Tomorrow
1 Subterranean Tremors
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Sylvan Scrying
1 Wildest Dreams
1 Wildfire

//Creatures
1 Academy Rector
1 Borborygmos Enraged
1 Courser of Kruphix
1 Dragonlord Dromoka
1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Knight of the Reliquary
1 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Sun Titan
1 Swans of Bryn Argoll
1 Tireless Tracker
Borborygmos seems like a good idea and means I should probably also cut the Swans. Explore sounds good as well. Might just go up a bit on the amount of lands 36 not counting Glacial Chasm is a fairly low amount. I cut tangle wire since I have no way to abuse it really.
Oh, I thought you were looking to swap - that makes sense. I have a casual Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant deck (60 card) and what I like about Greenseeker is the ability to turn non-land draws into lands in hand. But yeah, you probably have a better grasp of what your deck needs.

Looks fun / weird, though! Now that I read your post more accurately, lol, do you feel Snapcaster is super important? I feel like you would want more colour-efficiency... Are the Swans crucial?
Snapcaster helps a lot by being whatever you just need it to be. Swans would be a combo with Seismic Assault and Borborygmos allowing you to throw lands at them to draw more cards and more lands but if I cut borborygmos which I should I should cut the Swans as well.

Means I'm gonna have room for Bring to Light and some interaction as well. Gotta find room for Beast Within.

Borborygmos seems like a good idea and means I should probably also cut the Swans. Explore sounds good as well. Might just go up a bit on the amount of lands 36 not counting Glacial Chasm is a fairly low amount.

I'm relatively new to playing EDH, do you have any loose rules around when you would go below 40 lands / sources?

Santiako

Borborygmos seems like a good idea and means I should probably also cut the Swans. Explore sounds good as well. Might just go up a bit on the amount of lands 36 not counting Glacial Chasm is a fairly low amount. I cut tangle wire since I have no way to abuse it really.

Snapcaster helps a lot by being whatever you just need it to be. Swans would be a combo with Seismic Assault and Borborygmos allowing you to throw lands at them to draw more cards and more lands but if I cut borborygmos which I should I should cut the Swans as well.

Swans is cute with the Seismic Assault effects and Global damage spells, but I personally wouldn't play them. Also, you don't have that many draw spells, so Solitary Confinement seems hard to keep up. Collective Restraint seems the best propaganda for a 4 colour deck, so maybe try to swap that in somewhere. Tireless Tracker could be too slow too, but I'm not really sure (I haven't played it in EDH).

I'm relatively new to playing EDH, do you have any loose rules around when you would go below 40 lands / sources?
It's what I've always hovered around for all my decks, 36 mana producing lands + ~7 ramp/artifact mana.
Swans is cute with the Seismic Assault effects and Global damage spells, but I personally wouldn't play them. Also, you don't have that many draw spells, so Solitary Confinement seems hard to keep up. Collective Restraint seems the best propaganda for a 4 colour deck, so maybe try to swap that in somewhere. Tireless Tracker could be too slow too, but I'm not really sure (I haven't played it in EDH).
Tireless tracker is the perfect amount of appearing not too threatening, while actually being extremely powerful and it always replaces itself.

I know it's very expensive but crucible of worlds would fit that deck like a glove.
For this deck price is mostly irrelevant I'm planning to proxy it first then assemble it over the coming months. I originally had added crucible but cut it when I removed the strip mine. Should put both back in.

Is Ugin or Karn the better win condition? I think I'm better off with Karn since Ugin minus would kill my stax pieces.

Santiako

For this deck price is mostly irrelevant I'm planning to proxy it first then assemble it over the coming months. I originally had added crucible but cut it when I removed the strip mine. Should put both back in.

Is Ugin or Karn the better win condition? I think I'm better off with Karn since Ugin minus would kill my stax pieces.

I like Karn more since his ultimate usually makes everyone else concede so it's basically a win.

Ok changelog:
Code:
-1 Borborygmos Enraged	
-1 Courser of Kruphix	
-1 Explore	
-1 Ghirapur Orrery	
-1 Sphere of Safety	
-1 Swans of Bryn Argoll	
+1 Beast Within
+1 Bring to Light
+1 Collective Restraint
+1 Crucible of Worlds
+1 Karn Liberated
+1 Strip Mine

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
BDM getting overly excited over seeing the same guys play each other every single tournament gets kinda old. It's basically just 30 guys playing each other over and over and over because the vast majority of PT fields are just fodder who don't have the resources to fly cross country for 10 days of extensive testing with other pros because they have to go to work.

They should just eliminate draws in the last round of Swiss. Would solve a lot of problems, and its the last round of the day anyways.

I'm rooting for Ivan Floch to somehow sneak in as the 8th seed.

I haven't watched any of the pro tour and I'm about to leave again but I assume he's playing Sphinx's Revelation.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People are still drawing into top 8? Lol.

As I said, the solution I came up with:

Final round of Swiss in PT's is untimed and without draws. Play until there is a winner, period. Refusal to play results in double DQ. It's really simple and as its the final round, it doesn't unduly delay the tournament - at most you extend the last round by maybe 30 minutes to get to the Top 8 cut.

Angry Grimace

Continuing to allow IDs in the PT becomes particularly troubling once you start officially sanctioning teams in the tournament.

Santiako

Ok changelog:

Looks good. I know it's not very original, but I always like to stick in an Avenger of Zendikar in my green decks since he's such a good win condition and generator of blockers on its own.

Continuing to allow IDs in the PT becomes particularly troubling once you start officially sanctioning teams in the tournament.

I agree, it adds another layer of collusion and advantage for the name pros.

Santiako

No Saheelis nears the top 8. I hope this doesn't send the wrong message and WotC still ban the cat since it's warping the whole meta.

y2dvd

Man the whole vehicle combat controversy got me confused now. So beginning of combat (before the declare attackers phase) is the latest phase to crew vehicles before attacking correct? Does the priority goes back to the opponent to allow them to say, tap down the vehicle before attack step?

Santiako

Man the whole vehicle combat controversy got me confused now. So beginning of combat (before the declare attackers phase) is the latest phase to crew vehicles before attacking correct? Does the priority goes back to the opponent to allow them to say, tap down the vehicle before attack step?

Yes and yes.

Tunoku

Hi there, I've been lurking here for a while and finally got my account validated.

Got a PPTQ tomorrow, and very likely gonna end up playing 4 Color Saheeli. These PT results are not intimidating me, the deck is just too sweet. Just not sure about my configuration yet. I wonder if I should try fitting in some Delirium and Ishkanahs in there to battle Heart of Kiran decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom