• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

So wait, from Twitch chat bot: "The Top 8 broadcast will begin at 9am UTC."

That's tomorrow at 1am (PST)?

1PM PST If my converter is working properly.

Hi there, I've been lurking here for a while and finally got my account validated.

Got a PPTQ tomorrow, and very likely gonna end up playing 4 Color Saheeli. These PT results are not intimidating me, the deck is just too sweet. Just not sure about my configuration yet. I wonder if I should try fitting in some Delirium and Ishkanahs in there to battle Heart of Kiran decks.

Welcome to mtg-gaf!

bigkrev

T8 decklists are up. It looks like the 6 Mardu decks are all slightly different from eachother in the maindeck- lots of different choices in Vehicle selection among other things

1 AM PT is correct. (5AM Eastern)

Yep, should be wrapped up before the Puppy bowl starts

Violet_0

Banned
didn't watch the stream today but Mardu vehicles was dominating yesterday by walking (driving?) over a bunch of GB snake decks on camera, so I'm not really suprised. Heart of Kiran ban coming next? :p
I dunno, there's just something about those two mana flying vehicles

I mean, there's 26 copies of it in 7 of the 8 top decks even though it's a legendary

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Too fast for Ishkanah and she cant kill it without losing a spider.

Think they realize they fucked up by not banned Gideon instead of Reflector Mage?

Ashodin

Brings a tear to my eye. I don't play the popular decks (I'm a brew hipster through and through), but damn this is the closest I'd play.

Gideon and Heart of Kiran too good.

Hope this is a fake
3UF8SFS.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So if you want to do things in the beginning of combat, what are you supposed to say?
You basically have to stop the game and announce a spell, ability or trigger that you want to cast in that step. You basically can't just hold priority there otherwise as far as I can gather.

Yeef

You basically have to stop the game and announce a spell, ability or trigger that you want to cast in that step. You basically can't just hold priority there otherwise as far as I can gather.
As a general rule, you can't request priority and do nothing with it.

MTR said:
A player may interrupt a tournament shortcut by explaining how he or she is deviating from it or at which point in the middle he or she wishes to take an action. A player may interrupt his or her own shortcut in this manner. A player is not allowed to use a previously undeclared tournament shortcut, or to modify an in-use tournament shortcut without announcing the modification, in order to create ambiguity in the game.

A player may not request priority and take no action with it. If a player decides he or she does not wish to do anything, the request is nullified and priority is returned to the player that originally had it

Violet_0

Banned
Lmao you're kidding? Oh wow you're right. Is it any good in G/B Delirium? I kinda don't want to switch to Mardu Vehicles right now.

well it crews Heart and Caravan, and when it gets killed you can bring back so it can resume to fulfill it's intended purpose, which is to crew Heart and Caravan

Wulfric

well it crews Heart and Caravan, and when it gets killed you can bring back so it can resume to fulfill it's intended purpose, which is to crew Heart and Caravan

Hmm, guess I'll order a playset then. The meta's due for a shakeup anyway. And I would like a chance at this set's Game Day playmat. No surprise there. :p

red13th

Or maybe better artifact destruction/instant creature destruction. Vehicles aren't dominating Modern or Legacy by any stretch.

Hey there's avacyn.

Crew is an activated ability right? All they needed to do was reprint pithing needle. Would work against any one vehicle and scrounger and gideon. Would also have been an improvise outlet, maybe it's an amonkhet plant.

Santiako

Or maybe better artifact destruction/instant creature destruction. Vehicles aren't dominating Modern or Legacy by any stretch.

They are also not dominating standard (pro tour aside), but even though I quite like the card type, I think the current batch is a bit overpowered.

red13th

They are also not dominating standard (pro tour aside), but even though I quite like the card type, I think the current batch is a bit overpowered.

I don't think they're overpowered but I don't care if they nerf them next time around tbh. We had enough good ones with Cruiser and Thopter and there's only so many vehicles you can fit in a small cube.

If you're playing around removal why would not just take the 1 damage to gideon? On the other hand Marcio would have killed the veteran motorist then and Lucas not have a creature to crew the Kiran anyway, so forcing it on the heart was probably correct.

Tunoku

PPTQ went horribly, was on 4 Color Saheeli like I mentioned yesterday. I refused to drop and managed to go 0-4 in matches, only winning two games. After round 4 I finally decided to join my buddies for a GPT at another store. Only went 2-2 there as well. I haven't had this rough of a day when it comes to Magic in a long time. I don't want to blame it on the deck. I only got like 3 hours of sleep and just wasn't able to focus at all. So my takeaway is: Fix your fucking sleep schedule, Tunoku.

Anyway, gonna consider playing something else for Game Day. I should have the cards for B/R and that deck is pretty damn sweet, but not nearly as sweet as 4 Color Saheeli. I really like the addition of a couple copies of Marvel. So much better than that 0/4 with Flash as the Energy payoff.

Basically. Turns out a 4 Mana Token Maker/5 power Attacker/Anthem maker is a bit stupid.

It's even more ridiculous when you look at the power level of the rest of BFZ. Imagine if they had kept the power level of the following sets on par with BFZ; Gideon would have easily ended up banned.

With a quick look through BFZ, the other cards that could possibly be competitive in standard are Blightherder, Dragonmaster Outcast, Drana, Greenwarden of Murasa, From Beyond, Bobby Nixon, Oblivion Sower, Omnath, Reflector Mage, Ulamog, Undergrowth Champion, Void Winnower, and Woodland Wanderer.

Looks to me that GR Ramp is the only deck that would have gotten much out of the set.

It's even more ridiculous when you look at the power level of the rest of BFZ. Imagine if they had kept the power level of the following sets on par with BFZ; Gideon would have easily ended up banned.

With a quick look through BFZ, the other cards that could possibly be competitive in standard are Blightherder, Dragonmaster Outcast, Drana, Greenwarden of Murasa, From Beyond, Bobby Nixon, Oblivion Sower, Omnath, Reflector Mage, Ulamog, Undergrowth Champion, Void Winnower, and Woodland Wanderer.

Looks to me that GR Ramp is the only deck that would have gotten much out of the set.

Yup, Gideon is stupid powerful without including the rest of the BFZ Cards generally sucking.

Like, the emblem being usable immediately +Token making being free is such a stupid "Why not run 4?" issue, because he's basically Standard Goyf.

Think of every deck that's played White since BFZ Came out, and think of how many don't play Gideon. All I'm getting through a quick search is Humans(which had such a low curve Gideon wasn't worth it), Rally(can't bring back Gideon), and the occasional control decks.

Gideon is to Standard what Goyf is to Modern, only there's fuck all to answer Gideon in Standard.

Tried my hand on one of these full art physical alters of oversized cards. Came out better than expected considering I had to do it lying on my belly
Might look into foil peels for Kynaios and Tiro but first gonna experiment on glueing them onto a card to not have a bump

Basically. Turns out a 4 Mana Token Maker/5 power Attacker/Anthem maker is a bit stupid.

Rosewater made a post on Blogatog recently talking about how they don't want to print cards that get rid of emblems because your strategy should be to deal with the planeswalker before they make the emblem, which in general I totally agree with... but it points to exactly what's wrong with Gideon.

Rosewater made a post on Blogatog recently talking about how they don't want to print cards that get rid of emblems because your strategy should be to deal with the planeswalker before they make the emblem, which in general I totally agree with... but it points to exactly what's wrong with Gideon.
The only other PlanesWalker who can instantly emblem is Sorin, Lord of Innistrad, and his Emblem is nowhere near as strong as Gideon's.

Like, there's a number of small changes one can make to have the card not be as dumb: Make his Token ability be +1, so he's not able to keep Making Tokens and the Ult//Make his Ult be - 5 so he has to plus before he can use it //make him cost more.

Also, I'd be totally fine if that's their philosophy, but then we've got cards like Ugin who come down, minus, and then proceed to dominate the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom