• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maro confirmed on tumblr it isn't. :(

Yeah, I agree it's pretty strange in that sense, I just don't think we can really read the tea leaves on the set as a whole from that.

Domri Rade really is a bizarro choice to include no matter what, though. Each MM has one good PW and one shitty one and the good one here is gonna be Lili, but like nobody on earth wants a Domri.
If they needed a shitty Planes Walker(and to get people excited for Amonkhet), I don't get why Vraska isn't the one. I mean, of the 2 color walkers in Standard,GB is the only color missing one and they've been hinting Vraska's.. somewhere.

this is of course assuming no Garuk coming in

OnPoint

If they needed a shitty Planes Walker(and to get people excited for Amonkhet), I don't get why Vraska isn't the one. I mean, of the 2 color walkers in Standard,GB is the only color missing one and they've been hinting Vraska's.. somewhere.

this is of course assuming no Garuk coming in

No two-color combo is unrepresented in the modern era main story for 'walkers except black-red and white-black.

WU - Narset
UB - Ashiok
BR - none (Sarkhan was the closest, he's not anymore)
RG - Arlin
GW - Ajani
WB - none (was Sorin, he's on ice for now)
BG - Garruk, Vraska
GU - Kiora
UR - Saheeli
RW - Nahiri

Atlazan has Gorgos, she wouldn't be out of place there.

I feel like for that list a planeswalker has to appear in a colour combination at least twice for it to count. So only Garruk, Sorin and Kiora.

Joe Molotov

They should have reprinted Koth, he at least gets fringe play and could have checked off the "probably shitty red mythic that everyone will hate" spot.

OnPoint

Atlazan has Gorgos, she wouldn't be out of place there.

I feel like for that list a planeswalker has to appear in a colour combination at least twice for it to count. So only Garruk, Sorin and Kiora.

I disagree with this, but you forgot Ajani if you do want to go that route. And Tezzeret, though to be fair, I also left him off mine.

SOI Sorin was pretty mono-black.

You aren't wrong, but he was printed BW so he was the best we had.

Jhriad

If they needed a shitty Planes Walker(and to get people excited for Amonkhet), I don't get why Vraska isn't the one

We've already seen art that looks like Vraska in connection with the Atlazan block, I believe. She got a mention in one of the recent stories so she's likely to return to Standard before Domri Rade. Plus Vraska already saw a reprint in the Duel Deck and, if we continue to assume that Liliana of the Veil is getting reprinted in MM3, Black will already have a Planeswalker in the set.

Domri Rade is an odd include since there are a number of other 'Walker cards that could probably use a reprint more and they tend to stick with just two in these sets but maybe he's taking the slot of the required subpar Red Mythic in the set.

Isn't Domri a gal?
I disagree with this, but you forgot Ajani if you do want to go that route. And Tezzeret, though to be fair, I also left him off mine.
Uh yeah glaring omissions of mine.

It's just the ones listed are no representation at all, they are one offs that at times didn't even matter for the story in their set. Dack Fayden had more story in the modern era than Ral Zarek and Saheeli.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Isn't Domri a gal?

It's just the ones listed are no representation at all, they are one offs that at times didn't even matter for the story in their set. Dack Fayden had more story in the modern era than Ral Zarek and Saheeli.

...no. Not only is he canonically a dude, he's not even wearing a shirt.

We've already seen art that looks like Vraska in connection with the Atlazan block, I believe. She got a mention in one of the recent stories so she's likely to return to Standard before Domri Rade. Plus Vraska already saw a reprint in the Duel Deck and, if we continue to assume that Liliana of the Veil is getting reprinted in MM3, Black will already have a Planeswalker in the set.

Domri Rade is an odd include since there are a number of other 'Walker cards that could probably use a reprint more and they tend to stick with just two in these sets but maybe he's taking the slot of the required subpar Red Mythic in the set.

Kiki-Jiki still sees scattered play in Chord decks, I suppose.

No two-color combo is unrepresented in the modern era main story for 'walkers except black-red and white-black.

WU - Narset
UB - Ashiok
RG - Arlin
GW - Ajani
BG - Garruk, Vraska
GU - Kiora
UR - Saheeli
RW - Nahiri

Right, sorry, was thinking of Standard right now. We've got everything but BG and BR now.

I completely blanked on Atlazan having her/Gorgons on the boosters.

Domri isn't replacing the mediocre red rares, though Innistrad/RTR does give Red some much needed better Mythics. Bonfire of the Damned is an easy include for Mythic Rare in Red(and isn't as big of a WTF as Comet Storm), and maybe Past in Flames? Kiki-Jiki's been printed twice before, and if Goyf is out (like some have speculated), I'd argue Kiki-Jiki is out.

OnPoint

Isn't Domri a gal?

They worked Ral in a little bit to some of the lore post-RTR though. Dack has a bigger presence, but not in "the main story" as it were. Saheeli is a joke though. For a marquee character they sure did next to nothing with her.

It's like the one Red Mythic they've ever printed that isn't a walker, feels like a Mythic and is a playable Modern card

I still think Koth could use a reprint, like someone else suggested. I also rather like Thundermaw, but that's not Modern playable.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's like the one Red Mythic they've ever printed that isn't a walker, feels like a Mythic and is a playable Modern card
It's like 2 bucks because it was in a recent Commander deck.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Maro confirmed on tumblr it isn't. :(

Yeah, I agree it's pretty strange in that sense, I just don't think we can really read the tea leaves on the set as a whole from that.

Domri Rade really is a bizarro choice to include no matter what, though. Each MM has one good PW and one shitty one and the good one here is gonna be Lili, but like nobody on earth wants a Domri.

Domri was a really good card in standard and was in some early Naya zoo lists in Modern when it first came out.

Jhriad

Just curious, what does everyone think the Mythic slots in MM3 will look like?

I'm thinking something like:

Linvala, Keeper of Silence
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Consencrated Sphinx
Temporal Mastery
Liliana of the Veil
Griselbrand
Phyrexian Obliterator
Bonfire of the Damned
Magus of the Moon? *If they don't reprint LotV or move to more than two planeswalkers per Masters set, Koth of the Hammer
Craterhoof Behemoth
Tarmogoyf *Possibly minus Goyf and add V. Clique to balance out the colors?
Voice of Resurgence
Domri Rade
Crucible of Worlds
Blightsteel Colossus

Not sure on Goyf. They really need to continue to print the damn thing again but maybe they'll hold off on it for now.

Kiki Jiki, Koth, Through the Breach (if they shift its rarity).
Didn't think about Breach until you brought it up. I really like the idea of Through the Breach if they're going with some Reanimator/Cheat into play theme in limited. Of course, they don't exactly include Mythics with Limited in mind so that's probably just me being silly.

red13th

Red should be Bonfire and Thundermaw, but Through the Breach would be a pretty cool one too. I think it could be a rare though.
*checks price*
OUCH nevermind, I didn't know it was over $40. What the hell?
Craterhoof Behemoth should be a shoe in as a green mythic.

Pictures of (I assume) the Gods:

jetgp0BFy4.jpg
Oo1MKBnHQA.jpg
zqjMMYE4nC.jpg
id1a1QUl9s.jpg
gI2p1IAKNa.jpg

The way the cat-god's bow and headdress make Bolas's horns symbol is awesome.

I think they all have some form of horn symbol actually.
The last one looks kinda like Ayacyn's symbol. :(

Supast4r

Liliana's priorities: Being fabulous > Demons > Bolas

As long as we're stuck with the Gatewatch, I hope they keep making an effort to have the main 5 "roleplay" the plane that they're visiting. On Innistrad we had Detective Jace, and now we have Liliana as Queen of the Nile and Gideon with a desert-appropriate variation on his normal armor. It's fun when the Gatewatch takes on some aspects of the plane they're visiting; it helps integrate the plane and the protagonists so that both can be developed.
I'm hoping that this is the new art for the Liliana card on amonkhet. Great art and I'm a huge Liliana fan so I'm excited. Also she has super similar pose that Tasigur has but replace bananas with grapes.

Supast4r

New Liliana art = QUEEN

I'm not exactly excited about the same scene in each full art, but they should be worth a little bit upon release. Any idea if you can open foils?

New (supposed) Snapcaster is kinda meh, replacing Volkan Baga's art is a bad idea.
I hate baga's art of snapcaster. But to Baga's credit, the stupid looking Megaman gun attached to his hand was Tiagos idea. I'm very happy that I won't have to stare at that art anymore when I'm playing grixis.

Supast4r

Just curious, what does everyone think the Mythic slots in MM3 will look like?

I'm thinking something like:

Linvala, Keeper of Silence
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Consencrated Sphinx
Temporal Mastery
Liliana of the Veil
Griselbrand
Phyrexian Obliterator
Bonfire of the Damned
Magus of the Moon? *If they don't reprint LotV or move to more than two planeswalkers per Masters set, Koth of the Hammer
Craterhoof Behemoth
Tarmogoyf *Possibly minus Goyf and add V. Clique to balance out the colors?
Voice of Resurgence
Domri Rade
Crucible of Worlds
Blightsteel Colossus

Not sure on Goyf. They really need to continue to print the damn thing again but maybe they'll hold off on it for now.

Didn't think about Breach until you brought it up. I really like the idea of Through the Breach if they're going with some Reanimator/Cheat into play theme in limited. Of course, they don't exactly include Mythics with Limited in mind so that's probably just me being silly.
Blue: Ancestral Vision, Snap
Black:grsielbrandflakes, Liliana
Red: Through the breech, garbage rare,
White: linvala/archangel of thund, garbage rare
Green: Goyf, craterhoof

Those are my guesses for mono color.

red13th

I hate baga's art of snapcaster. But to Baga's credit, the stupid looking Megaman gun attached to his hand was Tiagos idea. I'm very happy that I won't have to stare at that art anymore when I'm playing grixis.

I agree, I absolutely love Baga but Snappy looks really stupid.

Full version:

C5JntT3W8AICZKc.jpg:large

And Ethan Fleischer confirms it's on a card, so yeah, figure her PW card is likely.

omg
Lily <3 <3 <3
so fierce

Yeef

WU - Narset
UB - Ashiok
RG - Arlin
GW - Ajani
BG - Garruk, Vraska
GU - Kiora
UR - Saheeli
RW - Nahiri
Daretti and Kaya are BR and BW, respectively. I don't know if Daretti will show up in the main storyline, but Kaya almost certainly will on the next return to Ravnica. It almost feels like her skill set was expressly designed for that purpose. The next time we see Tibalt, he'll likely be BR, but who knows when that will be.

ironmang

Will this even impact Snapcaster's price? Probably (hopefully) not the chase mythic in $10 packs. $43 median right now on tcgplayer.

Need to reacquire a set but thinking it probably won't matter if I get them now. In fact might actually go up in price if a lot of people open 1 and try to pick up the rest like with goyf 4 years ago.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Daretti and Kaya are BR and BW, respectively. I don't know if Daretti will show up in the main storyline, but Kaya almost certainly will on the next return to Ravnica. It almost feels like her skill set was expressly designed for that purpose. The next time we see Tibalt, he'll likely be BR, but who knows when that will be.

Rakdos stay losing =(

traveler

Not Wario
Worth noting that snek doubles all counters put on your permanents, not just by effects you control and not just optionally, so -1/-1 counters will double too.

Like the basic land art outside of the fact that Bolas' horns are the focus on every one. Would prefer a more landscape centric full art basic.

Santiako

Will this even impact Snapcaster's price? Probably (hopefully) not the chase mythic in $10 packs. $43 median right now on tcgplayer.

Need to reacquire a set but thinking it probably won't matter if I get them now. In fact might actually go up in price if a lot of people open 1 and try to pick up the rest like with goyf 4 years ago.

Snap will be rare, so his price should drop quite a bit. Afaik they've never upped the rarity of a rare to mythic from the mythic era.

Worth noting that snek doubles all counters put on your permanents, not just by effects you control and not just optionally, so -1/-1 counters will double too.

Rishkar will also give creatures with -1-1 counters the ability to tap for mana.

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah I think the right "foot" is just a weighty piece of fabric at the hem of the outfit. Debatable anatomy aside- I think it's easily the best Lili piece they've made.

God art is beautiful, across the board.

OnPoint

I agree with everything you say, but I motion Elspeth is coming back as black-white as well.

Can't wait for the black-red Tibalt myself. Been banging that drum for years now.

Toxi

Banned
Full version:

C5JntT3W8AICZKc.jpg:large

And Ethan Fleischer confirms it's on a card, so yeah, figure her PW card is likely.
Using mummies as zombie manservants is some pretty serious sacrilege if this plane's view of death is anything like ancient Egypt's. I wonder if that will factor into the story.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Snap will be rare, so his price should drop quite a bit. Afaik they've never upped the rarity of a rare to mythic from the mythic era.

Rishkar will also give creatures with -1-1 counters the ability to tap for mana.

Sick value

ironmang

I don't know, I'm not convinced. They really haven't had much opportunity to bump the rarity from mythic era sets for something like this. They haven't been too shy about doing it with pre-mythic rares like Tarmogoyf, Dark Confident, and Vendilion Clique so I don't see why they wouldn't do it with a similar card that had a price point around the same as the latter two.

traveler

Not Wario
Trying out MTGO standard for the first time.

Went into a friendly league to test out a brew and, while I agree that a trial by fire is good testing, every single opponent was on Mardu Vehicles, BG Aggro or Copycat. Why even play friendly? Just go to competitive if you're just running top tier deck with no innovations.

I agree with everything you say, but I motion Elspeth is coming back as black-white as well.

Kaya is the main thing that keeps me from fully endorsing this; I think it makes sense, but that territory (undead-related BW planeswalker) is a little crowded right now.

Can't wait for the black-red Tibalt myself. Been banging that drum for years now.

This is definitely happening, Maro's been hinting at it pretty heavily for a while now. Just a question of when it actually turns up.

Conspicuous lack of Lili in the packaging material....

Lili and Snapcaster are the two cards there's absolutely zero question about appearing in the set, the same way that Goyf and Bob were in MM1. It's dumb but you can legitimately leave Damnation or Linvala out of a set like this, but Liliana of the Veil and Snapcaster Mage are the definitional cards for the type of card this product exists to reprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom