• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's going to be -1/-1 counters, I hope they bring back wither, the fixed form of infect. They should also admit infect is a dumb mechanic, rename the storm scale to the infect scale, and then ban all cards with infect.

red13th

Speaking of wither I really want more hybrid cards but I don't think Amonkhet looks like a hybrid mana plane. Return to Shadowmoor plz.

Yeah, I'd be really worried about design space if I were them. Planeswalkers have to have a pretty finite amount of things they can do.
Only in their current strict form. We haven't even touched upon the real design space of PWs that could have static or ETB effects instead of an activated.

I also expect every gatewatch member to get a 4 ability version, you saw how psyched Wizards was hyping up Chandra.

OnPoint

Only in their current strict form. We haven't even touched upon the real design space of PWs that could have static or ETB effects instead of an activated.

I also expect every gatewatch member to get a 4 ability version, you saw how psyched Wizards was hyping up Chandra.

I get the feeling they're trying to avoid moving into things like ETB triggers until they absolutely have to or have an amazing idea. Right now the card type still feels really unique and can be balanced around that. They really should slow down on making new ones.

There have been what, 3 four-ability planeswalkers now, not counting DFC 'walkers right? Jace, Garruk and Chandra, right? I agree with you, they will eventually make four-ability versions for all of them. I expect Liliana's to come when the Chain Veil stuff reaches its pinnacle, possibly the Veil takes over temporarily, increasing her power but making her lose control. They'll all probably should come at pivotal story moments for the characters (though Chandra's was pretty underplayed, so maybe I'm wrong).

Oh yeah that's way off but I'm already eagerly anticipating it. So many PWs have +1s or -1s that could as well be ETB effects.

I'll already be overjoyed if Tezzeret becomes an Artifact Planeswalker - Tezzeret

OnPoint

Because their reluctance to do so might change and Tezzeret actually cares about artifacts.

Right, but Karn literally IS an artifact, whether he mechanically cares about them or not. I think if their reluctance changed, they'd probably start at the logical choice. But it's probably good that you can't Tinker a Mox into Karn in Vintage, though.

Tezzeret is on his way to being one I guess? But he's not there yet. Either way, I don't think him caring about artifacts means he has to be one.

If there's going to be -1/-1 counters, I hope they bring back wither, the fixed form of infect.

I mean wither is flavor spot-on for mummies.

I get the feeling they're trying to avoid moving into things like ETB triggers until they absolutely have to or have an amazing idea. Right now the card type still feels really unique and can be balanced around that. They really should slow down on making new ones.

They're making ten a year. I don't think it's that hard to keep that pace going for another decade. It's true that they're holding off on things like static abilities but they've been pretty clear that conserving design space and excitement is a big part of why. Once they break it open more will follow, and there's a ton of room available once they do that.

They are not just making 10 a year they are repeating a couple of time as well which drastically limits the space available.

Tezzeret is from esper he'd already be an artifact if they did the type mixture. I just didn't think of Karn when I made the comment since Tezz came first as a PW car and it's always bothered me a bit.

OnPoint

They're making ten a year. I don't think it's that hard to keep that pace going for another decade. It's true that they're holding off on things like static abilities but they've been pretty clear that conserving design space and excitement is a big part of why. Once they break it open more will follow, and there's a ton of room available once they do that.

I feel like 10 years of new versions of the Origins 5 will get old quick. But I agree, the card type in general, that cast aside, has room for that amount of time.

They are not just making 10 a year they are repeating a couple of time as well which drastically limits the space available.

Tezzeret is from esper he'd already be an artifact if they did the type mixture. I just didn't think of Karn when I made the comment since Tezz came first as a PW car and it's always bothered me a bit.

The obvious salve to your affliction here is Liquimetal Coating + Tezzeret Agent of Bolas, minus ability, attack using Tezzeret haha

It's just that Artifact when combined as a supertype is almost an adjective, it's auxiliary. A creature can be an artifact in addition but an artifact can't also be a creature, they can only become creatures. If that makes sense.

PWs aren't creatures but they are animate and as such should be able to also be artifacts.

OnPoint

It's just that Artifact when combined as a supertype is almost an adjective, it's auxiliary. A creature can be an artifact in addition but an artifact can't also be a creature, they can only become creatures. If that makes sense.

PWs aren't creatures but they are animate and as such should be able to also be artifacts.

Theoretically I agree, but the baggage that comes along with it due to things like tutors or incidental targeted removal is not worth the headaches it would probably cause.

I feel like 10 years of new versions of the Origins 5 will get old quick.

This is the biggest risk, yes, which is why I'd think they'll do two things: expand the Gatewatch to the point that they can roll across a bigger cast of regulars (if you have ten and do each once per Standard that's a lot more variation) and use Gatewatch members to debut new design advancements.

I'm still waiting for the glorious return of Karn, the Silver Golem

Given the power of their first cards (and the degree to which colorlessness is a big factor in that) I think both Karn and Ugin are characters they'll keep in reserve for when they want a guaranteed showstopper in the future.

OnPoint

Given the power of their first cards (and the degree to which colorlessness is a big factor in that) I think both Karn and Ugin are characters they'll keep in reserve for when they want a guaranteed showstopper in the future.

It's the same way I feel about them finally doing another Bolas. It's going to have to be one hell of a powerful card for people to care about it, and on these they rarely disappoint.

Hero

I would be completely shocked if this doesn't happen. Everything they've said about the underwhelming 20th anniversary and about returning to Dominaria in general, plus the namedrop in Magic Story, points to it.

I've been saying this for yearsssss.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
More avante garde. No space for portrait. Just abilities from top to bottom.

Wulfric

You're thinking too small. First PW to have 5 abilities.

Please no, I know we're going to Egypt, but 5 abilities is quickly heading into Yu-Gi-Oh territory. Also that card would be 6 mana minimum.

Example of what not to do:

dkQowXQ.jpg

Please no, I know we're going to Egypt, but 5 abilities is quickly heading into Yu-Gi-Oh territory. Also that card would be 6 mana minimum.

Example of what not to do:
Come on, you know you want to have the following happen:

I Tribute summon my Motorcycle to summon this Squid, who I shall use to tap down your Egyptian God Card!

I cast Glimmer of Genius, allowing me to scry the top 2 cards of my library and then put two cards into my hand!

If we ever get Unset 3, I want a pro-tour like this.

Wulfric

Come on, you know you want to have the following happen:

I Tribute summon my Motorcycle to summon this Squid, who I shall use to tap down your Egyptian God Card!

I cast Glimmer of Genius, allowing me to scry the top 2 cards of my library and then put two cards into my hand!

If we ever get Unset 3, I want a pro-tour like this.

Sacrifice wouldn't be too weird of a mechanic in this set. It combos well with zombie cards that go back to the field or hand as well. Ancient artifacts would be pretty sweet. There's simply too many good flavor opportunities in this set. I think it might even beat Theros block if the new God cards are any good.

Sacrifice wouldn't be too weird of a mechanic in this set. It combos well with zombie cards that go back to the field or hand as well. Ancient artifacts would be pretty sweet. There's simply too many good flavor opportunities in this set. I think it might even beat Theros block if the new God cards are any good.
Well, we did just have Tribute Summon(Emerge).

The line of play I was joking at was Crew Ovalchase Dragster with a 1/x token, Sac Dragster to Elder-Deep Fiend, tap down their God card. All during upkeep, of course.

Wulfric

I think this is actually the first time I've ever taken a moment to actually look at a Yugioh card. After googling yugioh cards I've gotta say, that is one ugly as fuck card game.

Haha, I don't think there's a single color that isn't used for a border. Foils come in like 6 different varieties too. The older cards from around 2003 didn't feel as cramped though.

Man YuGiOh really got kneecapped by being locked into a terrible card layout early on huh?

To be fair, that's how they looked in the original manga. The actual cards are far too small for the amount of text they try to cram on there. On top of that, there's not even artist credits on them. Even Pokemon cards have credits, but that's Konami for ya.

Tunoku

Are there still any Yu-Gi-Oh cards out there that are worth anything? From what I understand, Konami just randomly reprints and/or bans everything within a couple of months. I played some amount of Yu-Gi-Oh for like 3 months. Wish I had gotten into Magic back then instead.

bigkrev

Man YuGiOh really got kneecapped by being locked into a terrible card layout early on huh?

It's kind of impressive that a game that was originally detailed in 30 some pages of Manga in a 2 week period as a slightly more complicated varient of the card game War has had enough rules stapled on to it over the last 20 years and is still a successful game!

Wichu

Are there still any Yu-Gi-Oh cards out there that are worth anything? From what I understand, Konami just randomly reprints and/or bans everything within a couple of months. I played some amount of Yu-Gi-Oh for like 3 months. Wish I had gotten into Magic back then instead.

From the early sets, pretty much the only card that's still valuable is Raigeki ($20). Other cards have either been outclassed (most monsters), banned (the broken shit like Pot of Greed), or just reprinted into the ground (e.g. Blue-Eyes and Exodia). Raigeki has been reprinted a couple of times, but always at a high rarity, so it's kept its price.

The majority of the valuable cards are the tournament-playable Secret Rare cards from sets recent enough to not have been reprinted yet. Cards like Zoodiac Barrage ($90, winter 2017), Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon ($70, spring 2016), Pot of Desires ($80, summer 2016), and PSY-Framelord Omega ($60, autumn 2015). They're all likely to get an easier to find reprint soon and/or get limited or banned on the next banlist (looking at you, Pot of Desires), which will crash their prices and let whatever new expensive cards get released take their place. Not to mention the upcoming rules shake-up that will make Crystal Wing terrible and Omega less useful.

Old promo cards can be worth quite a lot, though. For example, if you have the Blue-Eyes promo from the Dark Duel Stories Game Boy game, it could be worth up to $200.

ironmang

So how likely do you think it is we see enemy fetches in MM17? My thinking is as long as tireless tracker and especially fatal push are in standard it's really hard to print something like verdant catacombs lol. Plus fetches are like an easy button to make sure the set is successful. Snapcaster + LotV + enemy fetches as well as some other random staples is guaranteed hype.

Jhriad

Plus fetches are like an easy button to make sure the set is successful

This is the exact reason why they'll hold them until an unlimited run big set. They want to save the silver bullets guaranteed to pad sales for Standard sets if at all possible. We might see them in the fall set this year but they could push them to a big set next year. Maybe slot them in with the Return to Dominaria to make a big splash or in a block in a new setting just to be safe.

Wulfric

So how likely do you think it is we see enemy fetches in MM17? My thinking is as long as tireless tracker and especially fatal push are in standard it's really hard to print something like verdant catacombs lol. Plus fetches are like an easy button to make sure the set is successful. Snapcaster + LotV + enemy fetches as well as some other random staples is guaranteed hype.

I don't think this is likely, they don't print Masters product in enough quantities to satisfy the demand for those cards. They can sell all their Masters product just fine without them. My theory is if they know a new block has a low power level they'll print the fetches there to make up for the weaker cards. I think it would be foolish to ignore how effective fetches were at selling KTK. ZEN fetches will make any product they're in sell like crazy.

I don't think this is likely, they don't print Masters product in enough quantities to satisfy the demand for those cards. They can sell all their Masters product just fine without them. My theory is if they know a new block has a low power level they'll print the fetches there to make up for the weaker cards. I think it would be foolish to ignore how effective fetches were at selling KTK. ZEN fetches will make any product they're in sell like crazy.
To be fair, the Fetches were probably in the lower third of Khans powerwise. I'd put every mythic, most Rares, and even some uncommon cards(Charms+Swiftspear, The two Chiefs, etc)

Basically, you could remove the Fetches from Khans and the set still would be super strong.

It's worth noting(and I had this pointed out to me) that despite Burn running Bolt and Guide, a large amount of it's power came from the RTR-Theros-KtK period, which added Boros Charm, Swiftspear, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Destructive Revelry, Deflecting Palm, Atarka's Command, etc. It's kind of insane.

Tunoku

I just sleeved up the RUG Dyanvolt list that Shouta created and boy is it fun. Very excited to play this deck at FNM this week. I'm curious if it has a future until the end of the season.

Here's the list:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/573023#online

(Yasooka's MTGO handle is yaya3)

I would love to find a way to fit in some Tireless Trackers and possibly a fourth Virtuoso or Torrential Gearhulk. But I'll play it as is for now and see how I feel about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom