• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, I'm not convinced. They really haven't had much opportunity to bump the rarity from mythic era sets for something like this. They haven't been too shy about doing it with pre-mythic rares like Tarmogoyf, Dark Confident, and Vendilion Clique so I don't see why they wouldn't do it with a similar card that had a price point around the same as the latter two.

Yeah, snappy has to be mythic.

Conspicuous lack of Lili in the packaging material....

Snap is going to remain Rare because it's been printed at it in a post Mythic set. The blue card most likely to be knocked up in terms of Rarity is Ancestral Visions.

Snap at Mythic in a reprint set would just confirm the idea that Mythic has become "Good stuff" and not "Cool build around me card". Mythics should be more like Whisperwood Elemental(which is this big splashy effect)and less like Warden of the First Tree(which is a Roleplayer in a deck). I'd argue that of the 3 cards that were mentioned, only Goyf really fits the Roleplayer aspect. Bob is one of those cards that new players don't understand why it's good until Jund gets to draw 3 cards a turn, and Clique is a Flash Creature with legendary that is Peek+Thoughtsieze stapled to it.

Mythics should have you looking at it and going "I should try to build a deck around this", not "Yeah, I'll jam 4 of these in any deck that they seem good in".

Edit: As for Liliana, I'm kind of thinking that we might see LotV in Standard. Sam Stoddard evidently thought she wasn't too powerful in intial design/Development for M15

bigkrev

zSlyMxE.png

Ugh. Please just stop

not-this-shit-again_fb_1224286.jpg

Lili and Snapcaster are the two cards there's absolutely zero question about appearing in the set, the same way that Goyf and Bob were in MM1. It's dumb but you can legitimately leave Damnation or Linvala out of a set like this, but Liliana of the Veil and Snapcaster Mage are the definitional cards for the type of card this product exists to reprint.

When they left Serum Visions out of Modern Masters 2015 any sense of logic went out the window. They have lost the benefit of the doubt.

Yeef

I'm just hoping the limited format in Modern Masters 3 is fun. The first was one of my favorite limited formats and Eternal Masters was pretty good, especially considering the limitations they put on themselves. MM2, however, was pretty far below par. Even though the power level was solid, it was even more on-rails than the average core set which was weak. It was also pretty annoying that there were so few answers for Algae Gharial.

Who is suggesting this? That wouldn't remotely be a good decision. I know blue has been in a bad spot, but JTMS would just swing the pendulum all the way in the opposite direction.
Every loon at mtgs. Seriously the"State of Modern" Thread is full of people who are still whining about the Twin Ban because "Wah Blue is Ruined and is dead" and demanding that either Twin be unbanned, Jace be unbanned, or some weird combination.

Best part of the thread recently though is one of them pretending that Blue is special, because when confronted with White being even worse they went "Well it's not the same because White's never been tier 1 in Modern."

It's kinda weird how content and welcoming Lili is in the new art. Not conniving, not seductive, just happy to be outside at her rooftop barbeque with some good food and company.

ironmang

I think Jace is totally fine for modern. Aggro decks are all good against him, wouldn't matter much in the tron matchup, Reality Smasher is a beating, lingering souls is a real card, and that's just off the top of my head. People think that just because it was broken in STANDARD 6 years ago that it'll dominate modern.

OnPoint

Would love to see some testing, real testing, done by some pros on Twitch with Jace 2.0 unbanned and in decks. Decks new, and decks that can slot him in. Then compile some data and show us what you found.

Otherwise, please keep him banned.

Do we have official confirmation that the Liliana art is a Planeswalker card? I mean, it's 99% likely, but there's been fake outs before with art showing one thing but being a different card.

Also, dumb guess for Amonkhet upon thinking: Amonkhet will have Convoke within the set, because that Gideon Starter leak seems way too specific with the "Untap all creatures you control, they get +1/+1 until end of Turn." I don't think Wizards would put that in a new-player focused product unless there was a reason for it to be there.

I bet new Lili is 1BB. Seems they've stuck her in a rut.
Lol, If the new Liliana is 1BB I'm buying every copy I can before it spikes. Did anyone think Last Hope would be Modern playable?(Even in the sideboard).

I mean, the issue is that there's only so many things you can do with a Liliana at 3 Mana.

OnPoint

Do we have official confirmation that the Liliana art is a Planeswalker card? I mean, it's 99% likely, but there's been fake outs before with art showing one thing but being a different card.

Also, dumb guess for Amonkhet upon thinking: Amonkhet will have Convoke within the set, because that Gideon Starter leak seems way too specific with the "Untap all creatures you control, they get +1/+1 until end of Turn." I don't think Wizards would put that in a new-player focused product unless there was a reason for it to be there.

Lol, If the new Liliana is 1BB I'm buying every copy I can before it spikes. Did anyone think Last Hope would be Modern playable?(Even in the sideboard).

I mean, the issue is that there's only so many things you can do with a Liliana at 3 Mana.
Bolded 1: No, but. They confirmed she's an intro deck PW, and we've yet to see them have that and not have a "real" representation as well. I suppose there's a chance they'll start that here, but I have a feeling she'll be central to the story here. Plus it's been a whole block without a new card for her, so the timing would be right.

Bolded 2: Some people here, though a small amount I think, definitely said they thought Last Hope was good enough for standard play. I was not among them. I agree though. A 3-cmc Lili should be a snap buy now. I'm predicting her at 4 or 5 cmc this time around, myself.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Unban Preordain, ban Grapeshot. Keep Jace banned. Format is already pricey enough without that shithead.

Though I dont think blue is bad (plenty of blue cards see play in the format), just control (and I think Grixis Control is pretty good right now if the meta starts hating out Tron.)

Also I hope they say they will never unban Twin and that its super banned, just so reddit and twitch will shut up about it.

Do we have official confirmation that the Liliana art is a Planeswalker card?

Ethan Fleischer confirmed that it's card art from the set, and the full form is commissioned in a vertical format, which they generally only do for planeswalkers. So it's pretty likely, at least.

Also, dumb guess for Amonkhet upon thinking: Amonkhet will have Convoke within the set, because that Gideon Starter leak seems way too specific with the "Untap all creatures you control, they get +1/+1 until end of Turn."

What's this now?

Yeah there's not going to be some magic rule where Liliana is always 3 mana now, she's gonna go up and down like everyone else.

y2dvd

The new art have been fantastic. I love the gods. My only complaint is its hard pinning them to their respective color pie except for white and green. The full article lands are gorgeous also. I want foils!

What are the chances of seeing the rest of the fetches reprinted in MM17?

Ashodin

Ethan Fleischer confirmed that it's card art from the set, and the full form is commissioned in a vertical format, which they generally only do for planeswalkers. So it's pretty likely, at least.

What's this now?

Yeah there's not going to be some magic rule where Liliana is always 3 mana now, she's gonna go up and down like everyone else.

The PWs for the theme decks are oddly specific to mechanics in the set. -1/-1 counters are spotted on Liliana's, so Gideon's is strange to untap all your dudes. Untapping your dudes only on your turn can only mean one thing - you want to use them for mana or other abilities before making use of their +1/+1 boost in a combat step.

traveler

Not Wario
Trying to grind out PT qualifications now, so I've got to play Standard. I'm reading as much as I can, but any recommendations on which of the 2/3/4 decks in the format is the best choice right now? Seems like 4 color saheeli/marvel has the least weak points, but isn't so easy to pilot.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Unban Preordain, ban Grapeshot. Keep Jace banned. Format is already pricey enough without that shithead.

Though I dont think blue is bad (plenty of blue cards see play in the format), just control (and I think Grixis Control is pretty good right now if the meta starts hating out Tron.)

Also I hope they say they will never unban Twin and that its super banned, just so reddit and twitch will shut up about it.

If they unban preordain, the funny thing is people would probably just run that with Thought Scour instead because most of the blue decks want that effect more.

Card Boy

Banned
So I sold my Gideon, Ally of Zendikar ($40AUD). Did I make the right choice? Can I rebuy at a lower price once it rotates out of Standard in a couple months time? I really liked the card :(

Supast4r

I won't say there's zero chance, but there's about as close as you can get to zero chance. (And given the art we have, she 100% isn't getting printed in Amonkhet.)
I mean she is 100 percent getting printed in amonkhet since we already saw her and Gideon on the planeswalker decks. Veil could be in standard since she didn't break anything last time.

Supast4r

I think Jace is totally fine for modern. Aggro decks are all good against him, wouldn't matter much in the tron matchup, Reality Smasher is a beating, lingering souls is a real card, and that's just off the top of my head. People think that just because it was broken in STANDARD 6 years ago that it'll dominate modern.
You REALLY underestimate his brainstorm ability. Modern has never even had brainstorm legal, much less a permanent that can spam it. I worry that lanturn control becomes god with Jace since their entire deck is built around his + ability.

Supast4r

Actually I did. As a grixis player, Liliana fit everything that grixis needed for a sideboard card. She stops small creatures and she mills yourself for tasigur/snap

I know someone who has a sideboard lilly the last hope in their legacy deck. They said its for matchups where a cmc 3 walker messes with their guys and their curve.

ironmang

You REALLY underestimate his brainstorm ability. Modern has never even had brainstorm legal, much less a permanent that can spam it. I worry that lanturn control becomes god with Jace since their entire deck is built around his + ability.

How is he going to spam brainstorm from the graveyard? :eek:)

It'd probably be a 2 of in blue control decks, an archetype that needs a little help.

Adaren

So part of me wants to speculate that there's a Nissa card, since I'm not sure what else that art piece focused on Nissa would be.

On the other hand, that would mean 3 Nissas in standard.

I'm thinking that they might not have a brand new PW character on Amonkhet (a la Arlinn and Saheeli), main reason being that this is a block focused on the Gatewatch, and they already had trouble giving every character enough screen time in the recent sets. That makes me think that we're pretty likely to see a returning villain (Ashiok?). Of course, if we get a brand new Planeswalker villain, then that would be fine too.

Baseless speculation: Jace will be in HOD, since they need a hero to face off against Bolas in the duel decks. Or maybe Ugin, but Jace seems more likely (it's been a while since we had a Jace card, and if they didn't have plans for him then they could have put him in AKH instead of Nissa).

Supast4r

How is he going to spam brainstorm from the graveyard? :eek:)

It'd probably be a 2 of in blue control decks, an archetype that needs a little help.
The problem with Jace is that he punishes fair decks and he does nothing to help control against unfair linear decks. In legacy often times who ever gets to untsp with Jace first wins because he fateseels the other player out of the game. In modern he doesn't help control against fast decks and punishes decks like jund/abzan since they can't play him. I would MUCH prefer a preordajn in an which fixes a lot more of blues issues.

Supast4r

So part of me wants to speculate that there's a Nissa card, since I'm not sure what else that art piece focused on Nissa would be.

On the other hand, that would mean 3 Nissas in standard.

I'm thinking that they might not have a brand new PW character on Amonkhet (a la Arlinn and Saheeli), main reason being that this is a block focused on the Gatewatch, and they already had trouble giving every character enough screen time in the recent sets. That makes me think that we're pretty likely to see a returning villain (Ashiok?). Of course, if we get a brand new Planeswalker villain, then that would be fine too.

Baseless speculation: Jace will be in HOD, since they need a hero to face off against Bolas in the duel decks. Or maybe Ugin, but Jace seems more likely (it's been a while since we had a Jace card, and if they didn't have plans for him then they could have put him in AKH instead of Nissa).
Have is probably in hour of devastation. In amonkhet I'm predicting: bolas, Gideon and Liliana.

ironmang

The problem with Jace is that he punishes fair decks and he does nothing to help control against unfair linear decks. In legacy often times who ever gets to untsp with Jace first wins because he fateseels the other player out of the game. In modern he doesn't help control against fast decks and punishes decks like jund/abzan since they can't play him. I would MUCH prefer a preordajn in an which fixes a lot more of blues issues.

So then what you're saying is that JTMS isn't too broken for modern. ;)

And Abzan runs lingering souls which keeps JTMS pretty heavily in check. A card like Keranos wrecks them much harder.

OnPoint

My prediction:

Amonkhet: Liliana, Gideon, flex

Hour of Devastation: Bolas, Jace, flex

By "flex", I mean that's where a non-Gatewatch, non-Bolas 'walker will be (and I'd lean toward Amonkhet for that slot, honestly). I'd like if it was a returning character we haven't seen in a while, maybe Koth comes back, or they somehow weave Sarkhan in because dragons. I even sort of like the idea of Ashiok, since he was messing with the gods on Theros, maybe he could mess with them here, too.

Oh god. I already hate Lantern Control. Please, no. This sounds awful.

Jhriad

The new Liliana art got me thinking. Is it weird to anyone else that in the SOI block story she's struggling with the Chain Veil, almost asks Jace for help with said Chain Veil, and the Raven Man is established but then we move into a new block and it's like the struggle with the veil is non-existent again. It just seems really incongruous to me.

OnPoint

The new Liliana art got me thinking. Is it weird to anyone else that in the SOI block story she's struggling with the Chain Veil, almost asks Jace for help with said Chain Veil, and the Raven Man is established but then we move into a new block and it's like the struggle with the veil is non-existent again. It just seems really incongruous to me.

I have a feeling that a lot of that is going to come to a head here. If I recall properly, nobody in the Gatewatch is even aware of her struggle. You gotta figure they're going to run into this third demon, and this might be how they find out just how deep she's in the shit.

Amonkhet is home to demon #3 so honestly this block is advancing her plotline more than anything has since Innistrad.

I mean she is 100 percent getting printed in amonkhet since we already saw her and Gideon on the planeswalker decks. Veil could be in standard since she didn't break anything last time.

Sorry, I meant "the Liliana planeswalker in Amonkhet definitely isn't LotV." I agree that they could hypothetically reprint that card in Standard, but both for secondary-market reasons and creative reasons I think it's unlikely at this point.

Violet_0

Banned
has any planeswalker ever been reprinted in a standard set with new cards? It doesn't make any sense, they evolve over time with their story, you don't regress them back to an earlier incarnation

bigkrev

has any planeswalker ever been reprinted in a standard set with new cards? It doesn't make any sense, they evolve over time with their story, you don't regress them back to an earlier incarnation

Only in core sets

They need to start doing reprints though because they are just torching through designs right now doing 4 expansions plus Conspiracy

OnPoint

Yeah, I'd be really worried about design space if I were them. Planeswalkers have to have a pretty finite amount of things they can do.

Only in core sets

They need to start doing reprints though because they are just torching through designs right now doing 4 expansions plus Conspiracy

Yup, especially with the idea of "We need a new version of each Gatewatch member every 3 blocks" and each Planeswalker having a "space" to occupy. How many more variants do you think they can squeeze out of Gideon when 2/3rds of his abilities are relatively static(Turning into a dude and making your opponents creatures attack him)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom