• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

I just sleeved up the RUG Dyanvolt list that Shouta created and boy is it fun. Very excited to play this deck at FNM this week. I'm curious if it has a future until the end of the season.

Here's the list:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/573023#online

(Yasooka's MTGO handle is yaya3)

I would love to find a way to fit in some Tireless Trackers and possibly a fourth Virtuoso or Torrential Gearhulk. But I'll play it as is for now and see how I feel about it.

Looks fun. I would think you can probably go down a Harnessed Lightning if you absolutely want to fit in one of your cards. Harnessed is pretty dead to control. I've been playing just UR Dynavolt and Dynavolt have been doing work.

I so want to play Saffron Olive's lately budget deck. It looks so amazingly fun.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-89-35-tix-marvelous-paradox-standard

Just watch match 1 game 1 for the best turn in MtG history lol.

Santiako

Looks fun. I would think you can probably go down a Harnessed Lightning if you absolutely want to fit in one of your cards. Harnessed is pretty dead to control. I've been playing just UR Dynavolt and Dynavolt have been doing work.

I so want to play Saffron Olive's lately budget deck. It looks so amazingly fun.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-89-35-tix-marvelous-paradox-standard

Just watch match 1 game 1 for the best turn in MtG history lol.

That was both amazing and hilarious.

I still have no idea how people can play Yu-Gi-Oh. The text is so small the cards are barely readable :p

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

?

I assume they mean on one side. :p

I just sleeved up the RUG Dyanvolt list that Shouta created and boy is it fun. Very excited to play this deck at FNM this week. I'm curious if it has a future until the end of the season.

Here's the list:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/573023#online

(Yasooka's MTGO handle is yaya3)

I would love to find a way to fit in some Tireless Trackers and possibly a fourth Virtuoso or Torrential Gearhulk. But I'll play it as is for now and see how I feel about it.

Do tell how it goes, I have most of the cards and I grew tired of Metallurgic Summonings. I could even put the 4 colour spin on the deck. Adding brutality and unlicensed disintegrations.

Honestly have to say that Magic Duels' pseudo-banlist of not including cards is very disheartening. Many times I have gone from, "oh, that would be neat" to "oh wait, is this low level uncommon even in the game?"

Servo Expertise.

Be careful.

27.jpg

Somewhat releated- MTGGoldfish now has a Pokemon site, that has prices/metagame decks for both standard and "Expanded".

http://www.pokegoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper

It's really interesting to see that the "Expanded" format is cheaper that the Standard format!

What's even more interesting is that there's only one top8 Standard deck that's above $300, vs 3 from Magic Standard. Granted, Pokemon contains some stupid strong card draw/tutoring, so the actual decks are like 20/60 actual cards, 40/60 tutors/draw to get those cards. Like, they have solo-focused Wheel of Fortune at common.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How to tell if something in a Modern deck is bullshit - does it play Simian Spirit Guide?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Want to provide any context?

SSG is a card that has no purpose in Constructed other than fueling completely un-interactive nonsense. There's a reason why people call for it to be banned all the time. If someone is like "hey I've got this new Modern deck" and you see 4 SSG's staring back at you, its obvious they don't want to play Magic, they want to goldfish.

It's sort of like Chrome Mox and why its probably actually on the SUPER BANNED list even though it looks sort of innocuous. A theoretical Chrome Mox unban isn't calculated to do anything but lead to stupid uninteractive shit.

traveler

Not Wario
I have been super underwhelmed with Brutal Explusion in all the Dynavolt lists. Is there some major reason it's included? Vehicle matchups are surprisingly infrequent online, so I'll concede I haven't really seen it in action there.

I just bought into Modern with Ad Nauseam for the GP and I'm 100% onboard with SSG eating a ban, even though it will kill the deck. Way overdue at this point. In fact, I could even see killing most "free" effects- Street Wraith and Mishra's Bauble are pretty close to Git Probe in my mind. Pseudo-56 card decks break the rules. I don't think either is busted by any means, they just feel wrong to me. Mox Opal, by contrast, is a much more powerful card that I'm actually ok with, since it at least imposes some constraints on deckbuilding, can only be leveraged with a certain amount of board investment, and has the legendary drawback.

Angry Grimace

I think we've actually run out of cards on the Modern Ban List that have much of an argument to get unbanned.

I think we're at the point where Jace, the Mind Sculptor is the most reasonable target left on the list, and blue isn't in a bad enough place I suspect they'd consider it simply because Jace's "0" isn't calculated to do a lot but cause shenanigans (although I suspect Jace being a 4 drop in a world where that's quite pricey would make it less likely that he could do as much damage as he did in Standard).

OnPoint

SSG is a card that has no purpose in Constructed other than fueling completely un-interactive nonsense. There's a reason why people call for it to be banned all the time. If someone is like "hey I've got this new Modern deck" and you see 4 SSG's staring back at you, its obvious they don't want to play Magic, they want to goldfish.

It's sort of like Chrome Mox and why its probably actually on the SUPER BANNED list even though it looks sort of innocuous. A theoretical Chrome Mox unban isn't calculated to do anything but lead to stupid uninteractive shit.

I don't disagree with you, but you just kinda came out of nowhere with it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't think they should unban Jace in modern; I just think they should print Force of Will for it instead.

So the format can become auto include blue like Legacy and Vintage? Fuck that. Fuck blue.

At least reprinting counterspell would help blue decks, not make it so everyone feels the need to include blue in their deck.

Angry Grimace

There's only like one fair deck in Legacy and there are lots of fair decks in Modern. FOW isn't much of a safety valve for it.

noquarter

Decided to play the EMA lottery again. Bought a box while deployed a couple months ago and opened it up today.

First box I opened ended up pretty decent, got a JTMS, foil Chain Lightning, some other stuff as well as a foil Force of Will.

Was opening this box and it was looking pretty dreadful, with no really good cards getting opened. Last third I ended up opening a Force of Will and a Natural Order, figured that would be the highlight. Second to last pack had a foil Force of Will.

Think I should stop playing this lottery. Still have two boxes for drafting sometime (only two of the boxes out of four came from the same store).

Angry Grimace

JTMS isn't going to get unbanned anyways, so its not a big deal. I think it would be okay as a trial and I think JTMS adds more gameplay than he takes away because in the end he's just a permanent that can be attacked by fair decks. That said, they aren't going to do it, so its kind of a fruitless debate.

I think we've actually run out of cards on the Modern Ban List that have much of an argument to get unbanned.

I think we're at the point where Jace, the Mind Sculptor is the most reasonable target left on the list, and blue isn't in a bad enough place I suspect they'd consider it simply because Jace's "0" isn't calculated to do a lot but cause shenanigans (although I suspect Jace being a 4 drop in a world where that's quite pricey would make it less likely that he could do as much damage as he did in Standard).

Yeah, I generally agree with this. Almost everything left is either ludicrous free value, part of some brain-hurty combo deck, or an archetype piece that got pulled out to take something obnoxious down a peg.

The one I'm not sure about, just because I don't really have a great idea of how the deck played anymore, is Punishing Fire. Is that too much still in the current situation?

Yeah, I generally agree with this. Almost everything left is either ludicrous free value, part of some brain-hurty combo deck, or an archetype piece that got pulled out to take something obnoxious down a peg.

The one I'm not sure about, just because I don't really have a great idea of how the deck played anymore, is Punishing Fire. Is that too much still in the current situation?

With grove of the burnwillows, it's a one-two punch that will suppress any fair creature decks and make people board in graveyard hate in matchups where it shouldn't be necessary otherwise. It's a good ban still.

kirblar

Yes. P. Fire is a horrible horrible card to have around- it never should have been legal in the format, and REALLY should have been banned at PT Amsterdam (Extended) where the combo was legal.

y2dvd

I have been super underwhelmed with Brutal Explusion in all the Dynavolt lists. Is there some major reason it's included? Vehicle matchups are surprisingly infrequent online, so I'll concede I haven't really seen it in action there.

Yeah I don't bother with it on my list. I think it's to hit Scrapeheap Scrounger with it mainly. I'm guessing why that list posted earlier also runs Void Shatter over Disallow, which I think is a huge mistake. Countering abilities like PW ultimates won me so many matches.

Jhriad

Cards I'd be fine seeing banned:

• Mox Opal
  • Simian Spirit Guide
  • Surgical Extraction
  • Mishra's Bauble
  • Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
  • Boil
  • Chalice of the Void

Of course I'm also okay with the idea of an even larger list eliminating a lot of cards that people consider too intrinsic to the format to even consider banning so I'm probably not the one to ask.

Santiako

Cards I'd be fine seeing banned:

• Mox Opal
  • Simian Spirit Guide
  • Surgical Extraction
  • Mishra's Bauble
  • Boil
  • Chalice of the Void

Of course I'm also okay with the idea of an even larger list eliminating a lot of cards that people consider too intrinsic to the format to even consider banning so I'm probably not the one to ask.

There are no arguments possible where:

• Surgical Extraction
  • Mishra's Bauble
  • Boil
  • Chalice of the Void

would ever deserve to be banned in Modern.

Jhriad

Chalice is a good thing tho?

It's an relatively flexible colorless card that's incredibly unfun to play against. I don't think it's oppressive, just an example of a card that's pretty dumb. You could probably add Engineered Explosives on there as well given the flexibility of the card. Similar issues with Surgical Extraction, if you want that effect you should have to actually run black to be able to cast something like Extirpate.

kirblar

Bauble (it's stupid for the same reason probe was) and Emrakul (it's really stupid) are both in the realm of possibility.

Chalice/Explosives/Surgical are generally good cards to have running around. Surgical being colorless is dumb, but it protects against dumb things.

Santiako

Bauble (it's stupid for the same reason probe was) and Emrakul (it's really stupid) are both in the realm of possibility.

Bauble saw close to zero play for a decade, it's not doing anything busted. Emrakul is just a payoff card, a busted one, but a payoff nonetheless.

traveler

Not Wario
Gitaxian probe wasn't "busted" either; it's just stupid that this is a free effect. You should not be able to cantrip at 0, even a half turn later, given all the bonuses that come along with it (fueling delirium, storm, delve, etc.) and the fact that it effectively lets you run a 56 card deck.

Gitaxian probe wasn't "busted" either; it's just stupid that this is a free effect. You should not be able to cantrip at 0, even a half turn later, given all the bonuses that come along with it (fueling delirium, storm, delve, etc.) and the fact that it effectively lets you run a 56 card deck.

So.... Ban Street Wraith too?

traveler

Not Wario
So.... Ban Street Wraith too?

I just bought into Modern with Ad Nauseam for the GP and I'm 100% onboard with SSG eating a ban, even though it will kill the deck. Way overdue at this point. In fact, I could even see killing most "free" effects- Street Wraith and Mishra's Bauble are pretty close to Git Probe in my mind. Pseudo-56 card decks break the rules. I don't think either is busted by any means, they just feel wrong to me. Mox Opal, by contrast, is a much more powerful card that I'm actually ok with, since it at least imposes some constraints on deckbuilding, can only be leveraged with a certain amount of board investment, and has the legendary drawback.

To be clear, I don't think these are huge problems with the format or anything. I just don't think they really should have existed in the first place.

Santiako

Probe was busted because it gave you a ton of information and replaced itself immediately. Bauble is just a free redraw a turn later, it's just used to fuel delirium, it's worthless in storm and other combo decks.

Jhriad

Bauble saw close to zero play for a decade, it's not doing anything busted.
With the continued printing of new cards and mechanics into the format new degenerate combinations of cards are going to pop up. Any card being fine before now doesn't mean it's going to be okay forever. It's a free colorless effect that thins your deck, pumps Goyf, nets you information, and enables new mechanics like Delirium & Revolt (Hello there, Fatal Push). None of that is really a problem except that it does it all for 0 mana.

Emrakul is just a payoff card, a busted one, but a payoff nonetheless.

Mkay... There are plenty of other "payoff" cards available to the decks interested in cheating them into play. We could debate about how "busted" Prime Time and Griselbrand are relative to Emrakul but she's obviously on an entirely different level and one of the real reasons why we currently need an effectively colorless, instant speed card like Surgical Extraction.

Angry Grimace

That's a targeted ban much like Deathrite Shaman. Punishing Jund is nasty.

Angry Grimace

For what it's worth, both Boil and Choke are dumb cards. Hating out basic lands makes no sense in Modern.

SSG deserves it's grave for being a solitaire card. No one ever uses it to not cheat something out, or if they do cast it it's so horrible at that job.

Of the stuff on the modern ban list left, Jace TMS, Stoneforge Mystic, and Preordain are the 3 safest cards to unban.

Two of these help blue control decks(but Jace is not an answer against Aggro, all it does is just serve as a grindclock against GBx), Stoneforge Mystic has been shown in testing to change exactly one Matchup massively in an Abzan Shell, and that can be debated as the Sideboarding done by Burn was iffy.

These cards are in colors that are shit in terms of representation in the format, and honestly could use a bump.

traveler

Not Wario
I've previously been in favor of keeping SFM on the banlist as unbanning it really cramps the space for printing new quality equipment... but Wizards has shown no interest in printing quality equipment even with it banned, so it might as well be unbanned at this point.

Angry Grimace

Unbanning Preordain does literally nothing to make the format better. I don't know why people keep asking for it.

I've previously been in favor of keeping SFM on the banlist as unbanning it really cramps the space for printing new quality equipment... but Wizards has shown no interest in printing quality equipment even with it banned, so it might as well be unbanned at this point.

Since Mystic was banned, here's a list of all the equipment that's seen play in Modern printed after:

Every 0 Mana Equipment for Cheerios
Nothing Else

I've done the math, there's 213 Equipment legal in Modern. 13 of these are above 4 CMC. This idea that a 4 Mana 1/2+Steelshaper's gift+Equipment is somehow too strong for Modern when we've just seen a GP with 1 Mana 10/10s is stupid. Mystic dies to every removal spell in the format, even Tarfire/Shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom