• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
We haven't even seen the actual card yet lol

I honestly think it looks rather unremarkable so far, but I'd like to see it on the card itself before actually judging it.
WMCQ Snapcaster is the Brazilian soccer player.
5.jpg

Supast4r

Yeah, I generally agree with this. Almost everything left is either ludicrous free value, part of some brain-hurty combo deck, or an archetype piece that got pulled out to take something obnoxious down a peg.

The one I'm not sure about, just because I don't really have a great idea of how the deck played anymore, is Punishing Fire. Is that too much still in the current situation?

Do you really want punishing jund/puninshing tron?

Wulfric

Not sure if Gideon is 30 or 50... it's like he got beat with an ugly stick. He has a nice skirt though.

+1 for futbol Snapcaster; I actually wouldn't mind a reprint of that art. But 99.9% he's the guy on the box.

Yeah, they retconned him into being more Mediterranean at some point. I'm all for adding diversity, I just don't get why they can't simply make new characters for it.

The issue with the Gatewatch specifically is that they got their first experience with a factor that every art director eventually encounters: unless you're ultra precise about the ethnicity of characters and reject deliverables when they fail to match, your artists will take every character and make them ultra-white. Both Gideon and Chandra ran into this.

The reason they're still trying to go back and push the changes onto these characters rather than "make new ones" is that these characters are gonna be in the movie and they're gonna want to cast that more diversely.

I love Brazilian soccer player Snappy.

I do too, that picture's great. I don't know why anyone would complain about it.

Do you really want punishing jund/puninshing tron?

I mean I said I wasn't super familiar with the deck and everything....

Joe Molotov

A store near me just posted on Facebook that they were doing a Sealed tournament tonight, free to the first 16 people. Guess I might be doing Sealed tonight.

A_Dang

Random question: What was the first set to have foil basic lands? I'm trying to figure out what lands I want to use to finish off a couple EDH decks with...

Thanks!

A_Dang

Or 6th edition if you want Core Set lands.

I was looking on tcgplayer.com and they do not have any foil 6th edition lands (at least Forests), do they exist?

Again, thanks for the help!

Edit: tcgplayer does not have any foil 6th edition lands, so it must be Mercadian Masques is where foil basics start.

Really what I want is foil versions of the Mirage lands....Were those arts ever printed in foil?

bigkrev

Or 6th edition if you want Core Set lands.

7th edition was the first core set with foils
Random question: What was the first set to have foil basic lands? I'm trying to figure out what lands I want to use to finish off a couple EDH decks with...

Thanks!

Urza's Saga foil lands were avalible as promos- they are unique in that they use the old "Tap to add G to your mana pool" instead of the large symbol

A_Dang

Urza's Saga foil lands were avalible as promos- they are unique in that they use the old "Tap to add G to your mana pool" instead of the large symbol

Those sound amazing! Any suggestions on where/how to find them? I hope they aren't too pricey....

Edit: Found the foil Mirage lands on Channel Fireball, still searching for the Urza's Saga promo lands...

Best lands are the Unhinged ones, obviously :p

7th edition was the first core set with foils

I didn't know that first part, TIL. It's odd because 6th came after Legacy, so I assumed that 6th had foil basics.

A_Dang

Best lands are the Unhinged ones, obviously :p

I totally get the appeal of the Unhinged lands, but I don't want to spend that kind of money, and I really like the idea of having some..I don't know how to say it..."old-school jank" in the deck.

The first deck I'm thinking about adding all foil lands to is my Atraxa deck, as it runs very few basics its an easier place to start. Keeping with the Phyrexian theme of Atraxa I was thinking Invasion lands, Mirrodin, or even Tempest lands. But I'm undecided.

Edit: It looks like the Urza's Saga promo lands are from Arena 1999. $10 per land may be a bit much...

bigkrev

Those sound amazing! Any suggestions on where/how to find them? I hope they aren't too pricey....

Edit: Found the foil Mirage lands on Channel Fireball, still searching for the Urza's Saga promo lands...

Uh, Mirage did not have any foils. They are custom made proxys if you are seeing them

traveler

Not Wario
So what does everyone think the theme of the next series of Masterpieces will be? I could see it being legendary creatures with the upcoming sets focus on heroic trials and gods.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So what does everyone think the theme of the next series of Masterpieces will be? I could see it being legendary creatures with the upcoming sets focus on heroic trials and gods.

The problem with Legendary Creatures is that the Masterpiece series usually reimagines stuff on the plane the Masterpiece is set on. Practically every Legendary Creature other than the ones already on Amonkhet are exclusive to their original plane.

I would think they'd try and run through all the card types before they start getting real cute, e.g. Sorceries, Instants, Enchantments, non-plane specific creatures, even Planeswalkers, really.

traveler

Not Wario
Didn't consider that; seems probable, yeah.

With that in mind, maybe sorceries then? Cruel Ultimatum seems like a logical masterpiece for the plane and you could also represent the various plagues of Egypt pretty well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

With that in mind, maybe sorceries then? Cruel Ultimatum seems like a logical masterpiece for the plane and you could also represent the various plagues of Egypt pretty well.
Masterpiece Series: GATEWATCH: GREATEST HITS

1. Gideon Jura
2. Gideon, Champion of Justice
3. Gideon, Ally of ZendikarAmonkhet
4. Gideon, Amonkhet Beefslab
5. Jace Beleren
6. Jace, the Mind Sculptor
7. Jace, Memory Adept
8. Jace, Architect of Thought
9. Jace, the Living Guildpact
10. Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
11. Liliana Vess
12. Liliana of the Dark Realms
13. Liliana of the Veil
14. Liliana, the Last Hope
15. Liliana, Zombie Fruit Master
16. Chandra Nalaar
17. Chandra Ablaze
18. Chandra, the Firebrand
19. Chandra, Pyromaster
20. Chandra, Flamecaller
21. Chandra, Torch of Defiance
22. Chandra, Pyromaster
(I bet you thought you'd see Nissa Revane here, but joke's on you that card has been retconned out of existence)
23. Nissa, Worldwaker
24. Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
25. Nissa, Vital Force

ultron87

Yeah, sorceries makes a lot of sense. Bolas-ey Damnation art!

I would think they'd try and run through all the card types before they start getting real cute, e.g. Sorceries, Instants, Enchantments, non-plane specific creatures, even Planeswalkers, really.

Maro's been pointing out a lot that it doesn't need to be a mechanical theme so I'm expecting Amonkhet to be creative-oriented, like life-and-death cards or whatever.

Angry Grimace

In all seriousness, if I had to guess Sorceries, or even Sorceries plus Instants in some kind of "Forbidden Magicks of Ancient Amonkhet" series where the masterpiece-ness of them is that they're ancient magic that's so powerful they've been forbidden or something. Obviously Damnation and Wrath of God would work well flavored with Gods on the plane.

The problem is that trying to stick with just "Sorceries" would mean you'd run out of cards really fast since Sorceries don't see nearly the play that Instants do, so most of the cards would be worthless. Like, you'd end up with every random Wrath variant.

Maro's been pointing out a lot that it doesn't need to be a mechanical theme so I'm expecting Amonkhet to be creative-oriented, like life-and-death cards or whatever.

I mean, I get that, but its also simply easier to group cards by type, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did something more mechanical before moving on to more obscure themes.

traveler

Not Wario
^ that is just straight up embarassing. How can anyone defend that ruling?

Some notable sorceries they could do:

Imperial Seal
Wheel of Fortune
Restore Balance
Living End
Ancestral Visions
Damnation
Ravages of War
Wrath of God
Sinkhole
Overwhelming Forces
Show and Tell
Demonic Tutor
Scapeshift
Time Spiral
Thoughtseize
Reanimate
Natural Order
Glimpse of Nature
Tooth and Nail
Time Warp
Bribery
Cruel Ultimatum
Stone Rain
Upheaval
Life From the Loam

Yeah, sorceries is a load of wrath/tutor effects.

Angry Grimace

Wheel of Fortune and Time Spiral are on the Reserved List. FWIW, Balance itself is not on the Reserved List, although it's kind of functionally useless since its banned in anything you could play it in.

Angry Grimace

^ that is just straight up embarassing. How can anyone defend that ruling?

Some notable sorceries they could do:

Imperial Seal
Wheel of Fortune
Restore Balance
Living End
Ancestral Visions
Damnation
Ravages of War
Wrath of God
Sinkhole
Overwhelming Forces
Show and Tell
Demonic Tutor
Scapeshift
Time Spiral
Thoughtseize
Reanimate
Natural Order
Glimpse of Nature
Tooth and Nail
Time Warp
Bribery
Cruel Ultimatum
Stone Rain
Upheaval
Life From the Loam

Yeah, sorceries is a load of wrath/tutor effects.
The best I could come up with in a couple minutes without overloading on Wraths and Tutors:

1. Dread Return
2. Demonic Tutor
3. Thoughtseize
4. Damnation
5. Reanimate
6. Wrath of God
7. Armageddon
8. Balance
9. Cataclysm
10. Upheaval
11. Time Warp
12. Tinker
13. Show and Tell
14. Ancestral Visions
15. Shatterstorm
16. Obliterate
17. Past in Flames
18. Chain Lightning
19. Natural Order
20. Tooth and Nail
21. Glimpse of Nature
22. Life from the Loam
23. Scapeshift
24. Vindicate
25. Cruel Ultimatum

Once you got to the small set, you'd have to seriously consider stuff like Duress, Ponder or Preordain, or duplicative effects like Ravages of War AND Armageddon, or Wrath AND Day of Judgment.

I mean, I get that, but its also simply easier to group cards by type, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did something more mechanical before moving on to more obscure themes.

I think this is like top-down set themes, they're gonna hold off as long as possible because they only have a few options and they'll run out.

I think this is like top-down set themes, they're gonna hold off as long as possible because they only have a few options and they'll run out.
Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that Something like Theros would be "Enchantment Creature" Masterpieces, because just between the gods you've got 15/45 right there. Slap on the Eidolon Cycle, the Archetype Cycle, and boom, that's just Theros 1.0.

Alara has the perfect name built in though: "Shards", with a focus on rares/Mythics from Alara.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that Something like Theros would be "Enchantment Creature" Masterpieces, because just between the gods you've got 15/45 right there. Slap on the Eidolon Cycle, the Archetype Cycle, and boom, that's just Theros 1.0.

Alara has the perfect name built in though: "Shards", with a focus on rares/Mythics from Alara.

Opening an Archetype of Imagination Masterpiece would be super feelbad. I'm worried that they're going to have to start scraping the bottom of the barrel before long, though, if they're doing these every set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom