• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

Whatever the Masterpiece theme ends up being (and I expect it to be creative rather than mechanical), I think that the Amonkhet Gods will end up on that list. They already know they're going to be popular and splashy, and people would definitely go crazy for them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think this is like top-down set themes, they're gonna hold off as long as possible because they only have a few options and they'll run out.

The biggest problem is that you eventually run out of interesting cards to print and you're printing stuff that isn't worth anything or isn't particularly powerful, e.g. feelbad special rares.

Whatever the Masterpiece theme ends up being (and I expect it to be creative rather than mechanical), I think that the Amonkhet Gods will end up on that list. They already know they're going to be popular and splashy, and people would definitely go crazy for them.

Unless they have devotion again, in which case no one will care.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";230904286]I still like the idea of the Egyptian gods using a tricolor variant of devotion. Khans + Theros pls[/QUOTE]
How would you even work a tricolor Devotion?

traveler

Not Wario
Instead of relying on count of total pips, you could require at least one instance of each pip. (or one permanent of each color)

This is assuming Gods even work the same way. While devotion to gods and the way they become more involved with more devotion was a defining hallmark of Greek/Theros mythology, they may pursue a completely different defining trait for Egyptian mythology. I think that this is probably more likely anyways, to keep the block distinct from Theros.

Instead of relying on count of total pips, you could require at least one instance of each pip. (or one permanent of each color)

This is assuming Gods even work the same way. While devotion to gods and the way they become more involved with more devotion was a defining hallmark of Greek/Theros mythology, they may pursue a completely different defining trait for Egyptian mythology. I think that this is probably more likely anyways, to keep the block distinct from Theros.

It's a hallmark of Theros mythology but the need for believers to gods is, as far as I'm aware, just a fantasy and science fiction staple and not actually rooted in any mythology.
I feel like what I want from gods is creatures that are indestructible and conditionally creatures. Everything else is flexible
I think the conditionally creatures isn't even necessary. Powerful Indestructible legendary creatures already suffice.

OnPoint

It's a hallmark of Theros mythology but the need for believers to gods is, as far as I'm aware, just a fantasy and science fiction staple.

I think the conditionally creatures isn't even necessary. Powerful Indestructible legendary creatures already suffice.
I believe Maro has stated Gods could have different mechanics between planes.

Foofaraw

Anyone wanna buy some Guru lands?

Code:
Forest - NM - $200 [url=http://imgur.com/a/VNrnr]Pictures[/url]

Mountain - slight crease - $100 [URL=http://imgur.com/a/xcf0A]Pictures[/url]

Swamp - slight Crease - $130  [URL=http://imgur.com/a/oqTTF]Pictures[/URL]

Sorry if this is totally unwelcome, and I will delete if this is not allowed. Or unreasonable. I went based off of TCGplayer prices. I have a few transactions on B/S/T, I just thought this would catch more people here.

I just got back into the game and found these in my old collection. I really want to get into Amonkhet in a few months! Love that Egyptian/Nicol Bolas theme.

Edit: Or point me in the direction of a good spot to sell these. I really like NeoGAF, so I'd prefer they went to someone from here

It's definitely welcome and allowed, I've traded on gaf before. That said, every monday /r/magictcg has a bst thread on reddit and I've found a lot of success there as well. Otherwise it's deckbox and ebay.

Ashodin

I mean it's probably obvious the gods won't work the same on Amonkhet. I'd even wager they're artifact gods. They look prettttttttttty metallic to me.

Whatever the Masterpiece theme ends up being (and I expect it to be creative rather than mechanical), I think that the Amonkhet Gods will end up on that list.

Zero question.

The biggest problem is that you eventually run out of interesting cards to print and you're printing stuff that isn't worth anything or isn't particularly powerful, e.g. feelbad special rares.

Well, like I said, they're probably gonna have to cut down from ~50 per block. I'd have to do some research to see but I would guess you could keep 40 a year going for a long-ass time.

Yeah beginning of combat to declare attackers is fuuuuuuuuucked

They need to fix that.

The problem is that this would really never come up without the specific weird vehicle stuff here. Normally you wouldn't ever want to use effects at that point anyway.

The problem is that this would really never come up without the specific weird vehicle stuff here. Normally you wouldn't ever want to use effects at that point anyway.
Eh, I get that, but it's not like triggered abilities at the start of combat haven't been a thing recently. Odric has it, Citadel Siege has it, Tezerret's ultimate has it, etc.

It either needs to be fully recognized as a time in the game where you can interact or just removed/replaced with a "At the end of each first mainphase", which is somehow even clunkier.

I really don't like any of the others but goddamn this one's even better in the full art.
IQJ3NlA.jpg

Adaren

The Theros Gods were more ethereal (their art depicts them hovering over the horizon, melded with the sky). By contrast, the Amonkhet Gods are more concrete. They're shown next to humans and among buildings, and they're made of cloth and metal instead of stars.

So, since the Amonkhet Gods don't seem to have the ephemerality of the Theros Gods, I wouldn't be surprised if Wizards made a very conscious decision for them to not be Enchantment-Creatures.

I also suspect that their metal masks hint at their "unnatural" origins (created by Bolas), which might lead to the them becoming giant killer robots in HOD.

Santiako

Yeah, the Amonkhet gods don't look like enchantment creatures. They kinda look like giant statues, so they could be artifact creatures.

bigkrev

Guys, if you are going to steal Egyptian God Cards, you might as well continue to steal from Yu-gi-oh and just steal how those work.

God
(0)
As an additional cost to casting god, sacrifice 3 non-token creatures that share a color with God
[random godly abilities]

Maledict

The Theros Gods were more ethereal (their art depicts them hovering over the horizon, melded with the sky). By contrast, the Amonkhet Gods are more concrete. They're shown next to humans and among buildings, and they're made of cloth and metal instead of stars.

So, since the Amonkhet Gods don't seem to have the ephemerality of the Theros Gods, I wouldn't be surprised if Wizards made a very conscious decision for them to not be Enchantment-Creatures.

I also suspect that their metal masks hint at their "unnatural" origins (created by Bolas), which might lead to the them becoming giant killer robots in HOD.

Note crocodile god doesn't have a metal mask, he actually has a normal head. Maybe he's an original god that agreed to work for Bolas and so wasn't killed by him?

Eh, I get that, but it's not like triggered abilities at the start of combat haven't been a thing recently. Odric has it, Citadel Siege has it, Tezerret's ultimate has it, etc.

Yeah, but it's the weird interaction between beginning-of-combat triggers and a cost you want to pay shortly before combat with vehicles that led to this becoming relevant here.

normal creature cards have no flair, they have to be enchantment creatures to properly represent the gods imo

I think it's more likely than not that, either because they feature a block-specific mechanic that gets this or just as their own special thing, they get a unique frame treatment.

Foofaraw

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";230914528]It's definitely welcome and allowed, I've traded on gaf before. That said, every monday /r/magictcg has a bst thread on reddit and I've found a lot of success there as well. Otherwise it's deckbox and ebay.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks for the tips.

I have it posted on the reddit thread, but I know these are kinda stupid expensive basic lands.

noquarter

Awesome, thanks for the tips.

I have it posted on the reddit thread, but I know these are kinda stupid expensive basic lands.
There is also a High End Magic Facebook group you might join. The people that are interested in lands like that are probably part of that page as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I bought a bunch of copies of Wheel of Fortune for like $5 a while back (liked a decade plus), but they never gained any value, so I traded them off and only have one now and they're like $40.

As long as you didn't lose anything, could have been worse. Was watching some guy stream recently that bought 50 DTT only to have them be banned in every format.

Bought a wheel for a friends Nekusar deck recently, who knew draw sevens were this powerful.

Jhriad

CtdrvUBWEAENX5A.jpg

Was this posted here? Was looking around to find some of that earlier art from Amonkhet and stumbled upon this in a MTGSalvation thread. Any idea what it might be?

Also that art looks like mortify or putrefy
But it's a red card and I'm pretty sure there are more Wheel of Fortunes in circulation than Yawgmoth's Will and Time Spiral.
You need a wheel in EDH if you're not blue or black it's the best card draw out there, blue and black have an abundance really. Yawg's Will and Time Spiral are expensive too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom