• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
How many of you guys play Commander here? I got this for my Human Solider tribal deck.

metallicmimic.jpg

which is very similar to this.

adaptiveautomaton.jpg

Tunoku

Since my only Modern deck is Burn, I hate Boggles. Ironic, I know. Sometimes you have to chump with your creatures and then shoot them down with your Lavamancer to prevent the life gain. And then pray to God you draw Deflecting Palm.

I might have to run Stifle in EDH then, also useful against melirapod decks.

I'm already running 15 counters in Zur, just ordered a mindbreak trap to go to 16 and am still missing a force of will.

Based on Raised by Wolves.

Raised by Mummies - 4B
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
When Raised by Wolves enters the battlefield, create two 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each Zombie you control.
"Little girl, where's your mummy? - last words

Wild prediction: Amonkhet will have a Rare cycle of 5 pharoahs based on the most famous of Egypt. I'm fully expecting at least a Cleopatra/Ramses II/Tutankhamun Card, and adding Hatshepsut+One other Pharoah seems like an easy way for a cycle to me.

Based on Raised by Wolves.

Raised by Mummies - 4B
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
When Raised by Wolves enters the battlefield, create two 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each Zombie you control.
"Little girl, where's your mummy? - last words
Is there a myth about children being raised by Mummies? I mean, it seems like a cool card in design, but I can't think it's in Black's color pie(Does black get these kind of buffs at parity with Green? I mean, it's a better raised by Wolves, because it's only one pip vs two.)

this is of course without mentioning that Raised by Wolves is based on Romulus and Remus, which is a Roman Myth, not a Greek myth, so it belonging in the Greek set is all kinds of wrong.

Santiako

So I haven't been paying too much attention to GP Utretch, but what are the Mardu Ballista decks? Just Mardu Vehicles with ballistas in them?

Santiako

Sorry for triple posting, but if no one posts I can't help it :p

GP Utretch Top 8 Decklists

Samuel Vuillot (Mardu Ballista)
Fabrizio Campanino (Mardu Ballista)
Alexandre Habert (Mardu Ballista)
Charly Traarbach (Mardu Vehicles)
David Brucker (Black-Green Constrictor)
Kasper Nielsen (Green-Black Constrictor)
Thuan Truong (Green-Black Constrictor)
Berk Akbulut (Four-Color Saheeli)

Tunoku

That's the problem. I've been playing some fun decks like BR Zombies and Temur Tower, but at the very top level it's just a bunch of snakes, airships, and cats.

EDIT: Seems like Ondrej and Oliver went 12-3 with Temur Tower. And Joel went 11-4. Nice to hear!

My favourite combo with Wheel is probably

Image.ashx

Neat card- definitely noting it down. Didn't know it existed.

Takeaways from the Magic panel:

- In clear contrast to WotC's former stance on "not diluting the brand", they emphasized they are very confident about the appeal of the Magic fiction, and will expand the brand beyond the card game.

- They currently have plans stretching to 2020.

- When WotC needs a data scientist, whould they hire one and teach them Magic, or hire a Magic player and teach them data science? They probably will choose the latter.

Of course, the biggest takeaway is both WotC panels were attended by founders of Bonfire Studios, the company that has Rob Pardo (lead designer of Brood War, Warcraft III, World of Warcraft).

Thanks for the breakdown, I didn't end up watching them. Bonfire sounds interesting, I used to work with Josh M (design director) who is a super rad guy.

Amonket: The croc god has a structure of himself in the BG, chances that there are Temple cards?

Maybe that makes it too similar to Theros?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think they're overestimating how much people care about the Magic lore
KuGsj.gif

It's high time wizards bans all phyrexian mana cards from modern. Just categorically ban all of them like they did conspiracy border cards.

The cards are so egregious in use it'd impact almost the entire field.

Wulfric

I think they're overestimating how much people care about the Magic lore
KuGsj.gif

I think it's fine the way it is. The new artbook series covers most of the events without the anime dialogue. They're great for RPGs too when you combine it with the Planeshift supplements.

Although personally, I would love for them to bring back the comic book series.

qxsg8fk.jpg

Wild prediction: Amonkhet will have a Rare cycle of 5 pharoahs based on the most famous of Egypt. I'm fully expecting at least a Cleopatra/Ramses II/Tutankhamun Card, and adding Hatshepsut+One other Pharoah seems like an easy way for a cycle to me.

Is there a myth about children being raised by Mummies? I mean, it seems like a cool card in design, but I can't think it's in Black's color pie(Does black get these kind of buffs at parity with Green? I mean, it's a better raised by Wolves, because it's only one pip vs two.)

this is of course without mentioning that Raised by Wolves is based on Romulus and Remus, which is a Roman Myth, not a Greek myth, so it belonging in the Greek set is all kinds of wrong.

I just find the visual of a card similar to Raised by Wolves but with mummies or skeletons amusing, along with that flavor text.

OnPoint

Dismember is the only one seeing regular play, and Noxious Revival some fringe play. Neither of those are close to being bannable though.
Actually Surgical Extraction is seeing play and Noxious Revival is a big piece of the redundancy of Cheerios. So it's not just dismember seeing play. That's about it though, iirc

lol what cards are worth banning now that git probe is banned?
It's not that all of them are ban worthy but look at the banlist, 3 of them have already been banned and 6 more see play to varying degrees and never to do fair things. 7 if Apostle's Blessing hadn't been replaced.

Why do I have access to dismember and gutshot as merfolk, noxious revival in Cheerios,... Colours and costs don't matter.
Dismember is the only one seeing regular play, and Noxious Revival some fringe play. Neither of those are close to being bannable though.
gutshot, mutagenic growth, dismember, noxious revival, surgical extraction, vault skirge. None are bannable singlehandedly but collectively they are, especially if you include the already banned cards.

Santiako

Actually Surgical Extraction is seeing play and Noxious Revival is a big piece of the redundancy of Cheerios. So it's not just dismember seeing play. That's about it though, iirc

Ah yes, totally forgot about Surgical Extraction. Revival being in Cheerios makes it fringe :p

Tunoku

One of the Burn decks had two Deflecting Palms main. I mean, it's a solid hedge against Death's Shadow, but not sure how I feel about that. It's a fine sideboard card.

And Ad Nasaeum takes down the Open.

It's not that all of them are ban worthy but look at the banlist, 3 of them have already been banned and 6 more see play to varying degrees and never to do fair things. 7 if Apostle's Blessing hadn't been replaced.

Why do I have access to dismember and gutshot as merfolk, noxious revival in Cheerios,... Colours and costs don't matter.

gutshot, mutagenic growth, dismember, noxious revival, surgical extraction, vault skirge. None are bannable singlehandedly but collectively they are, especially if you include the already banned cards.
While I 100% agree,I think that if they ban all of the Phyrexian Mana spells they also have to ban SSG for achieving the same basic goal( "Free" resource trading to get an advantage).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom