• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
aHaHrq0.png

Aside from the card, this does seem to indicate that the "pay 0 instead of" formatting is a change to how "do it for free" effects are templated.

DrArchon

I'm trying to read Bounty of the Luxa right. Does it just alternate between "free card" and "free mana"? I think the "remove all flood counters" line is throwing me off, because it doesn't look like it can get more than one without proliferate.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I'm trying to read Bounty of the Luxa right. Does it just alternate between "free card" and "free mana"? I think the "remove all flood counters" line is throwing me off, because it doesn't look like it can get more than one without proliferate.

It doesn't look like it does anything with more counters.

Yeah, it makes you remove them all so that you can't force it to stay in the "add mana" mode perpetually. If it just said "remove a flood counter," you could snek it up and you'd basically have a Thran Dynamo.

kirblar

Yes. Its to avoid exactly that interaction when opponents play proliferate cards.

Son1x

Yea thats pretty much it. Proliferate doesn't really do anything.

Lucario

Drawing a card every other turn and ramping by three mana on your other turns would've been a very strong card at 2GU in a lot of other Standard environments. That's nine mana on turn 6 if you hit your land drops.

It requires a bit of planning ahead, but the power level is absolutely there. It's very easy to turn this into an early Ulamog.

...Shame this isn't the sort of standard environment where you can drop 3-6 mana artifacts or enchantments with no immediate impact. We've been getting a lot of sweet ones, and they've been pushed pretty far since Kaladesh.

Past few years have been a golden age for Johnny-focused set design.

You're reading it right. The "removal all" part has been used a few times on cards that use counters to represent a binary condition that flips back and forth. For example, see Freyalise's Winds all the way back in Ice Age and Temporal Distortion in Invasion. And by "for example" I mean those are the only ones I can think of...both which predate proliferate.

DrArchon

OK, I just wanted to make sure. Makes perfect sense to not have it be potentially busted in any proliferate EDH decks (I'd still use it in one because hey, free cards and mana though).

Poppy

can you twincast the sunrise card and win instantly, since you hold priority and the twincast copy resolves first? i assume not because copying a spell doesnt count as casting it right

DrArchon

When you play him, do you get a slab?

"When Ramses II comes into play, target opponent gets a legendary artifact Slab token with 'At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life'.

Ramses II can only attack opponents that control a legendary artifact slab."

Surprised to see male angels too. I suppose flavor wise, this is where Maloch comes from, but his mechanics prevent him from being reprinted.

The flavor text of Winged Shepard supports that Hour of Devastation involves Bolas destroying the barrier and letting the desert in. Presumably, the Gatewatch will help awaken green and blue leylines or something to provide more oases and thus provide shelter even without the barrier.

kirblar

The original rationale for the "NO BOY ANGELS/ALL BOY DEMONS" rule (biblical angels are all male, succubi are a problem) just didn't make sense in a world where the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show is a thing. Glad to see it gone.

Santiako

MaRo just confirmed there's three planeswalkers in Amonkhet, and we already have the art for Nissa :/

also, this:

zwomally sent: We have another Standard environment with a top level Lilliana and Gideon. I get you want to push the Gatewatch but the same ones is a little tiring.

Maro: When we started with the Gatewatch storyline, we began with the assumption that the Gatewatch, the core five, at least, should always be represented on planeswalker cards in Standard. (And remember Standard was 18 months at the time.) As we started to roll this plan out, we got feedback from many of you that this was problematic.
Yes, you wanted Gatewatch planeswalkers but we didn't need to do them so often. You wanted the opportunity to see other favorites return or have new planeswalkers in some of those slots.
We heard you, but we work far ahead so there's always a gap before you can see us react to feedback. Hours of Devastation was the first set that we could revamp how we did this. So starting with Hour, we've pulled back significantly on how often Gatewatch planeswalkers appear. They'll appear when it's important but at a much slower rate. We will use those slots instead to do more returning and new planeswalkers.

Starting with Hour of Devastation, they'll be cutting down significantly on the amount of times the Gatewatch 5 show up as pw cards in the sets.

Surprised to see male angels too. I suppose flavor wise, this is where Maloch comes from, but his mechanics prevent him from being reprinted.

The flavor text of Winged Shepard supports that Hour of Devastation involves Bolas destroying the barrier and letting the desert in. Presumably, the Gatewatch will help awaken green and blue leylines or something to provide more oases and thus provide shelter even without the barrier.

I had no idea that was a thing.

I also hope that doesn't happen. I need Hour of Devastation to be an outright loss.

MaRo just confirmed there's three planeswalkers in Amonkhet, and we already have the art for Nissa :/

also, this:

Starting with Hour of Devastation, they'll be cutting down significantly on the amount of times the Gatewatch 5 show up as pw cards in the sets.

Now that's some good news.

also, this:

Happening sooner than I thought I would. I knew they got the message that people didn't want all-Gatewatch, all-the-time but I'd thought maybe that wouldn't happen until the next block.

also, this:

Thank the gods of Amonkhet.

Like, I don't mind one or two Gatewatch Members in a block (So like Jace and Lili in SoI, or even Nissa/Ajani/Chandra) but when we have 3 fucking Nissas all released in Standard sets it borders on insane.

I still think the best way to force them to scale down the Gatewatch Involvement is by giving each Gatewatch member a Decidious Mechanic that has to appear on X number of Cards.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

also, this:

Huzzah! Great way to start off the weekend.

The original rationale for the "NO BOY ANGELS/ALL BOY DEMONS" rule (biblical angels are all male, succubi are a problem) just didn't make sense in a world where the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show is a thing. Glad to see it gone.

Yeah, I mean, the genesis for this rule at the time it was introduced was good, and as a general thing the female angels were a very effective brand-distinguishing strategy (you see a female warrior angel with something like sword and armor and it instantly brings MTG to mind) but it's definitely past the point they should be treating it as something they can't mix up sometimes. I'd guess we'll still see it as the default now but they'll be more open to having worlds where it isn't the rule.

This is fantastic news.

y2dvd

Bounty of the Luxa seems pretty slow, and it forces you to play something on MP1 to take advantage of the mana. Seems pretty bad.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Any chance of an Astral Slide reprint?
I would imagine every oath in story comes with a card.

I want to see a card where someone breaks their oath.

Maybe one set where the Gatewatch have a falling out and they all "break their oaths", each one leading to a "broken oath" card.

After seeing Twitch Presents Power Rangers I can't help but feel Magic now revolves around their own Power Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom