• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

This story is so stupid. Bontu having been aware all along was the perfect plot twist, then having her turn in face of betrayal is just pure cringe.
Black and red are bros dude (sis's)

Top of the page

Magic Story -Favor

• Hazoret fights dudes. She meets Samut, who tries to convince Hazoret of Nicol Bolas being a trespasser, but Hazoret has headaches.
  • She eventually can't deal with the carnage, and prays for the God-Pharaoh.
  • Big Nick shows up through a lengthy and elaborate Planeswalk. He rekts the place some more with Torment of Hailfire.
  • Bontu shows up and kneels to big Nick, even calls him by name, which makes Hazoret freak out.
  • But that would mean... Nicol Bolas orders Bontu to kill Hazoret, and she complies without hesitation.
  • Bontu and Hazoret fight, with Hazoret trying to make nothing personnel, kid and Bontu not having any of it. Hazoret remembers everything after getting mind blasted. Bontu was never under mind control, had been running the show the whole time.
  • Hazoret gets rekt and laid at Nicol Bolas' feet. Bontu's reward? Blast to the chest and death by zombies. She last resorts, then frees Hazoret of her death magic as big Nick flies away. Only Hazoret remains.

Interesting thing about Bontu's betrayal on reddit: the art for Bontu is the only one without gold and Bontu is kneeling.

tumblr_inline_opdwf9vRzG1se18ln_1280.jpg

Black and red are bros dude (sis's)

Top of the page

Magic Story -Favor

• Hazoret fights dudes. She meets Samut, who tries to convince Hazoret of Nicol Bolas being a trespasser, but Hazoret has headaches.
  • She eventually can't deal with the carnage, and prays for the God-Pharaoh.
  • Big Nick shows up through a lengthy and elaborate Planeswalk. He rekts the place some more with Torment of Hailfire.
  • Bontu shows up and kneels to big Nick, even calls him by name, which makes Hazoret freak out.
  • But that would mean... Nicol Bolas orders Bontu to kill Hazoret, and she complies without hesitation.
  • Bontu and Hazoret fight, with Hazoret trying to make nothing personnel, kid and Bontu not having any of it. Hazoret remembers everything after getting mind blasted. Bontu was never under mind control, had been running the show the whole time.
  • Hazoret gets rekt and laid at Nicol Bolas' feet. Bontu's reward? Blast to the chest and death by zombies. She last resorts, then frees Hazoret of her death magic as big Nick flies away. Only Hazoret remains.

Interesting thing about Bontu's betrayal on reddit: the art for Bontu is the only one without gold and Bontu is kneeling.

tumblr_inline_opdwf9vRzG1se18ln_1280.jpg

Ah great, the black aligned god was evil all along. <rolls eyes>

alternade

Sorry to go off topic. Have about $10K worth of cards I want to get rid of. $8k is in cards above $10 based on deckbox pricing. Any advice on moving it quick and maximizing value? Would be fine with 50% of total value if I could dump the whole thing.

If it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to you have them listed out or just a summation of choice cards from various sets? I might be interested in buying some

Crocodile

I still don't get this whole "destroy your own plane and minions" thing that Bolas has going on. It's the worst aspect of mustache twirling villains taken up to the Nth degree. There is nothing interesting about it and it just comes off as dumb from someone who is supposed to be so smart and conniving.

Firemind

Kind of funny Bolas picks and chooses servants on a whim. Surprised he didn't kill Sarkhan probably because of plot armor. Maybe he wants to slay Ugin again. &#128514;

kirblar

I still don't get this whole "destroy your own plane and minions" thing that Bolas has going on. It's the worst aspect of mustache twirling villains taken up to the Nth degree. There is nothing interesting about it and it just comes off as dumb from someone who is supposed to be so smart and conniving.
Living beings can't planeswalk with you.

Zombies can.

He's using the loophole to create an undead army he can take plane to plane.

I rather dislike that Amonkhet is now freed of Bolas' influence. It really wasn't much top down Bolas after all.

Unless top down Bolas just means wreck the sandcastle you built in the sand. Which is unimaginative and petulant.

Zombies can.

You can bring a couple people into the Blind Eternities IIRC.

We need a devoid jeskai/bant/5c eldrazi legend.

This is definitely something I'd do as a colorless card with a WUBRG ability I think.

Also begs the question why they weren't snakes to begin with

They thought there was brand equity in nagas (which is fair, WoW did a lot to make people familiar with 'em.) I think the thought was that people didn't care enough about snake tribal to be unhappy about it, which was probably a better idea before they decided to print a new snake tribal legend in a Commander deck.

Nope. Used to pre-Mending, can't do it anymore according to what they've said about it.

TBF, it has been a while since they had the black part of a cycle be the evil one.

True. It still feels cheap though.

Zombies can.

Zombies seem to be able to break all of the rules.

EDIT: Also, if that were the case what does he need the Planar Bridge for?

I rather dislike that Amonkhet is now freed of Bolas' influence. It really wasn't much top down Bolas after all.

Unless top down Bolas just means wreck the sandcastle you built in the sand. Which is unimaginative and petulant.

They should have destroyed Amonkhet completely, but that's very unlikely to happen. If the Eldrazi couldn't do it,
Post-Mending
Bolas certainly wasn't.

Zombies not being affected is stupid especially when individuality is preserved.
This is definitely something I'd do as a colorless card with a WUBRG ability I think.

Nope. Used to pre-Mending, can't do it anymore according to what they've said about it.
I'm actually somewhat fond of Devoid, even when it doesn't do anything.

Maybe it was just Venser that could do it then? He brought a bunch of people along with himself during the mending. Pretty bad restriction as well.

Crocodile

Zombies can.

No this I all get. That shouldn't require him to destroy his Zombie factory or the other Gods who served him or whatever. Was the ONLY way to complete the Eternal army to destroy the barrier? Hadn't he already stockpiled a good number of corpses to turn into Eternals? Wouldn't he want Amonkhet in working order to make more Eternals down the line?

They thought there was brand equity in nagas (which is fair, WoW did a lot to make people familiar with 'em.) I think the thought was that people didn't care enough about snake tribal to be unhappy about it, which was probably a better idea before they decided to print a new snake tribal legend in a Commander deck.

This reeks of "the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing"

No this I all get. That shouldn't require him to destroy his Zombie factory or the other Gods who served him or whatever. Was the ONLY way to complete the Eternal army to destroy the barrier? Hadn't he already stockpiled a good number of corpses to turn into Eternals? Wouldn't he want Amonkhet in working order to make more Eternals down the line?
Didn't the empire destroy the clone factory so no one else could make an army of that scale again in episode 3? Clearly people at wizards secretly like the prequels.

Also if Liliana knows this why doesn't she just stockpile zombies on Innistrad?

I don't believe normal planeswalking can bring along zombies, but the Kaladesh Planar Bridge can. Bolas likely took action now knowing that Tezzeret had it ready, but I don't know if it being destroyed was an impediment or not.

DrArchon

Doesn't know Ugin is alive I believe.

I'd imagine not a whole lot goes beyond Bolas's notice. I'm sure at some point he must've learned out that "Oh shit, the timeline of an entire plane just got fucked up". He was pretty quick to get Tezz to check out the Phyrexians for example.

I mean, he knows the Gatewatch are called the Gatewatch, and that happened more recently than Ugin reviving.

Maledict

So I'm just going to day one thing. If you look back through the old thread when we first got the god images, I pointed out that the crocodile god didn't have a golden head unlike the others. And that might mean they were willingly serving Bolas, unlike the others.

So for once, just *once*, I predicted something right!

This is what Kirblar must feel like every day... ;-)

Jaeyden

If it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to you have them listed out or just a summation of choice cards from various sets? I might be interested in buying some

Thanks bigkrev for response. Want to look at my list alternade? It is Mithrandir on Deckbox. I only have $5.00 and above as I bulked the small stuff to a friend before moving country.

OnPoint

I'd imagine not a whole lot goes beyond Bolas's notice. I'm sure at some point he must've learned out that "Oh shit, the timeline of an entire plane just got fucked up". He was pretty quick to get Tezz to check out the Phyrexians for example.

I mean, he knows the Gatewatch are called the Gatewatch, and that happened more recently than Ugin reviving.
You could be right. I guess it's all hypothetical until they meet again and we find out. I just like the idea of Ugin sweeping in and catching Bolas unaware.

I don't believe normal planeswalking can bring along zombies, but the Kaladesh Planar Bridge can. Bolas likely took action now knowing that Tezzeret had it ready, but I don't know if it being destroyed was an impediment or not.

Pretty certain it didn't matter because Tezz had the plans.

EDIT: For that matter, was he even trying to use it on Kaladesh? It's not like he could take the bridge through itself.

This whole block has just made Bolas feel small. His plans seem small, he lacks foresight and he's just... petty. The fact he fails to finish off either god just makes him seem incompetent.

I could kiss yall! Definitely think I'll add Reito Lantern and Canal Dredger in my deck. Constantly getting back targets for my Sunforger will be nice.

A less accurate but nicely repeatable / hasty option is Soldevi Digger. Obviously the drawback of it being the top of your grave is awkward, though.

174.jpg

The art is wacky, however :)

DrArchon

You could be right. I guess it's all hypothetical until they meet again and we find out. I just like the idea of Ugin sweeping in and catching Bolas unaware.

If Bolas is as smart as WotC wants us to believe he is, I'm sure he would have plans for Ugin coming back. Death doesn't seem all that permanent in Magic.

Granted, destroying his Eternal factory makes him look pretty dumb to me.

Maledict

Ah great, the black aligned god was evil all along. <rolls eyes>

See, here's the thing. Black is evil. Black was evil in the original design of the game, black has been evil all the way along. No amount of Mario trying to pretend otherwise gets away from the fact that black is evil by its very nature. It's not just the colour of selfishness, it's the colour of sadism and taking delight in the pain and agony of others. Unlike the other colours, it doesn't really have a moral spectrum - you can be lawful evil or chaotic evil in black, but you're always evil.

Heck, their brand new black mana race they were so proud of in Kaladesh - it's not black! It's red mana through and through. When given the opportunity to put themselves ahead of others (by draining their life force to stay alive) instead the main character chooses their own death rather than life, which is the exact opposite of blacks philosophy.

Black isn't just about putting yourself ahead. It's also about making sure there are others underfoot at the same time.

OnPoint

If Bolas is as smart as WotC wants us to believe he is, I'm sure he would have plans for Ugin coming back. Death doesn't seem all that permanent in Magic.

Granted, destroying his Eternal factory makes him look pretty dumb to me.

I think they want Bolas to be as smart as they want him to be. I don't think they know how to write him that way.

Santiako

1v1 backlist update for mtgo is out. On mobile, can't link but the big 3 blue cantrips got axed along w vial smasher.

Here's the list, since no one actually linked it

Since our last update to the Magic Online Commander format, a few troublesome trends have solidified. The unmatched success of disruptive blue decks has continued, and separate (though related) to that is the rise of Vial Smasher the Fierce

Vial Smasher the Fierce is banned.

Decks headlined by Vial Smasher have been an increasingly dominant part of the environment. While usually paired with Kraum, Ludevic’s Opus, it’s clear that Vial Smasher is the dominant factor in the success of these decks, providing too much damage for too low a cost. She is a clear rival to many of the Commanders already banned given her ability to win games essentially on her own backed up with a constant stream of disruption.

A philosophical aside:

Before diving into the next set of bans, I’d like to restate that our primary goal for the Magic Online Commander 1v1 format is to make the most fun experience possible. Color balance alone isn’t a reason to alter a format, but lack of variety in play experience is. Our intention is to try and trim excess power from clearly dominant decks to open up space for a variety of decks to succeed, not to introduce churn by adjusting the ban list.

Ponder is banned.

Preordain is banned.

Brainstorm is banned.

There have been a variety of blue Commanders that have shown success with the same core game plan, and in aggregate they mean that the variety of gameplay in the metagame is lower than we’d like. In our May 24th update we took an incremental step towards weakening these decks, and this is a similar step. Further constricting the ability of these decks to power through their library should lower their consistency somewhat.

Treachery is banned.

Aside from strong card selection, Treachery is one of the few cards played in nearly every blue deck, largely from its sheer power. When drawn, it’s a card that provides a tempo swing that’s often impossible to recover from, and when looking for ways to weaken this style of deck it’s a clear enough outlier in strength to warrant a ban.

Biorhythm is unbanned.

Limited Resources is unbanned.

Painter’s Servant is unbanned.

Trade Secrets is unbanned.

At the inception of this format, the ban list was intended to support both 1v1 and multiplayer Commander, and these cards were banned for multiplayer consideration. Since this list now exclusively applies to 1v1 play, they are being removed. It’s worth noting that despite being listed in the multiplayer category of the initial ban list, Sensei’s Divining Top remains banned for the same logistical reasons that caused it to be banned then.

Also, multiplayer commander goes back to the regular commander banlist.

Maybe it was just Venser that could do it then? He brought a bunch of people along with himself during the mending. Pretty bad restriction as well.

Yeah both because Venser is a teleporter guy and because he was a weird in-between planeswalker he could do some stuff the others can't.

This reeks of "the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing"

I mean they openly admit that they don't have enough resources to track fairly nitty-gritty items like this across both standard expansions and supplemental products. This is why all the color bends happen in Commander too.

DrArchon

I know I've said it before, but the answer to the Naga problem was absurdly simple: "Naga Snake Cleric", "Naga Snake Warrior", etc.

The answer to the Naga problem is to just make them snakes. Simple as that. They don't have Aven creatures that are "Aven Bird Soldier" and Aven are way more common than Naga are.

Repgnar

Have absolutely no obligations this weekend and next week. Get off at 12 on Friday. Plan on hitting up 2-3 pre-releases, starting with midnight, at minimum this time around rather than just the 1 for Amonkhet. Another other sources to read up on prior to the pre-release? I only really read LSV's preview for the set for Amonkhet and while I'm going to read his again for this set I wouldn't mind checking out some more articles/videos. Does LR have a episode/webcast/whatever it's called prior to release?

The answer to the Naga problem is to just make them snakes. Simple as that. They don't have Aven creatures that are "Aven Bird Soldier" and Aven are way more common than Naga are.

And Leonin are just Cat, it's true.

They also shouldn't have added Jackal when they knew while they were doing it they were going to be having folding issues with Dog/Hyena/Jackal as it stood.

They just really want to have another massive creature type update, I guess.

jph139

I mean, Naga should be Human Snakes, really. Or Ape Snakes? Maybe Lizard Apes. Or Reptile Mammals. They could probably simplify and just fold it all into one "Animal" type really...

Creature types are completely arbitrary so I try not to lose sleep over them.

there are no dogs, they are hounds...
I mean, Naga should be Human Snakes, really. Or Ape Snakes? Maybe Reptile Ape. Or Reptile Mammal. They could probably simplify and just fold it all into one "Animal" type really...

Creature types are completely arbitrary so I try not to lose sleep over them.
then merfolk would be human fish and such. It's more important to preserve tribal imo if it has been done before and as such Nagas should just be snakes, not human snakes.

Just errata-ing all the similar - but - distinct creature types together does make a lot of sense. Naga and snakes, the various dog types, etc. Gotta be careful not to merge too freely tho.

Doing it like that would let them do more flavorful per plane creature types too.

Justin

Have absolutely no obligations this weekend and next week. Get off at 12 on Friday. Plan on hitting up 2-3 pre-releases, starting with midnight, at minimum this time around rather than just the 1 for Amonkhet. Another other sources to read up on prior to the pre-release? I only really read LSV's preview for the set for Amonkhet and while I'm going to read his again for this set I wouldn't mind checking out some more articles/videos. Does LR have a episode/webcast/whatever it's called prior to release?

LR does a card by card run down on their podcast which should be out tomorrow. They usually do it in 2 episodes with the Rares and Mythics first and then a second episode with the others so their commons and uncommon episode probably wont be out till next week.

Marshall was also on the pre-pre release last weekend and opened up the pre-release kit and walked through his deck building process. Then there is 8 hours of actual games using the new cards if you want to see how the new cards work when playing (Hint: afflict is ridiculous).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Owug74znr0

Yeah, theoretically their standard is "does this creature type have resonance outside Magic?" which naga clearly do and aven (as a Magic original) don't, but probably yes naga didn't go far enough over that threshold at this late date.

They also shouldn't have added Jackal when they knew while they were doing it they were going to be having folding issues with Dog/Hyena/Jackal as it stood.

Nah, that's fine. I don't see a problem with having Jackal and Hound (or as it should be, Dog) be separate types.

The real fiasco in real-world animal creature typing is that there are three types that cover bovines and they're Aurochs, Ox, and Antelope.

y2dvd

A less accurate but nicely repeatable / hasty option is Soldevi Digger. Obviously the drawback of it being the top of your grave is awkward, though.

174.jpg

The art is wacky, however :)

I think this is the first card I've ever seen wjere the order of the graveyard came into play. Everyone I know constantly shuffle their graveyard around when going through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom