• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I think this is the first card I've ever seen wjere the order of the graveyard came into play. Everyone I know constantly shuffle their graveyard around when going through it.
Image.ashx

Santiako

Yeah, there are quite a few of old cards where the graveyard order matters. I remember playing Corpse Dance in my Psychatog sideboard as a Cunning Wish target. It was great going, end of turn wish for Corpse Dance, in my turn hasty tog for the win.

The weird thing about graveyard order is that now Wizards pretty much encourages you not to keep your graveyard in order, but that technically isn't the rule, which rarely results in odd cards like this.
Image.ashx

Santiako

The weird thing about graveyard order is that now Wizards pretty much encourages you not to keep your graveyard in order, but that technically isn't the rule, which rarely results in odd cards like this.
Image.ashx

The rules say that in any format including only Urza's Saga and later the players may rearrange their graveyard as they please (Stronghold is the last set where graveyard order matters).

Ashodin

I've always liked Threshold because it felt like to me the cards were "going Super Saiyan". They become better than they once were once 7 cards are in the bin.

Mystic Crusader is the best example of this (and an awesome name)

33.jpg
96.jpg

Mystic Enforcer is another good one.

I've always liked Threshold because it felt like to me the cards were "going Super Saiyan". They become better than they once were once 7 cards are in the bin.

Mystic Crusader is the best example of this (and an awesome name)

33.jpg
96.jpg

Mystic Enforcer is another good one.

Why does Mystic Enforcer have a housecat head?

Daedardus

Get some rubbing alcohol and using my phone's flashlight I can see the dirt swept away.

plus while cleaning foils look shiny af

Can't you just work one hour of overtime and just buy a new pack of sleeves? Mine start to rip after some time anyway. Cleaning sleeves doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

Toxi

Banned
See, here's the thing. Black is evil. Black was evil in the original design of the game, black has been evil all the way along. No amount of Mario trying to pretend otherwise gets away from the fact that black is evil by its very nature. It's not just the colour of selfishness, it's the colour of sadism and taking delight in the pain and agony of others. Unlike the other colours, it doesn't really have a moral spectrum - you can be lawful evil or chaotic evil in black, but you're always evil.

Heck, their brand new black mana race they were so proud of in Kaladesh - it's not black! It's red mana through and through. When given the opportunity to put themselves ahead of others (by draining their life force to stay alive) instead the main character chooses their own death rather than life, which is the exact opposite of blacks philosophy.

Black isn't just about putting yourself ahead. It's also about making sure there are others underfoot at the same time.
There are multiple explicitly Black-aligned protagonists in Magic's history, such as Toshiro Umezawa and Xantcha. I guess you can say they don't count, but they exist.

The key aspect of Black is doing anything to get what you want. This usually manifests as hurting other people, but it also often involves hurting yourself (Paying life). The whole "Black will do anything to win" joke really is Black's identity as a color. I mean, what's selfish or sadistic about Necropotence?

you know, Toshiro Umezawa is actually a pretty badass commander. Too bad about the mono black
I was considering making a weird storm deck with him.
Never even began theorycrafting though.

I have so many random ideas floating around my head. I've long been looking for a deck with Ayli for instance but the best I could come up with was shadowborn apostle storm.

I'm interested in making both Marchesa decks.

And whenever I look at an Aftermath card I begin to crave making a Mizzix deck.

2 decks I've actually went considerably past the conceptual stage. I have a list for a mono red eggs with PnK Nalaar and a list for living end but both are in hold right now.

Justin

HOU cards are up in Gatherer.

Afflict resolves before combat damage is dealt. If this loss of life brings a player to 0 life or less, that player loses the game immediately. A blocking creature with lifelink won’t deal combat damage in time to save that player.

On the Dagger of The Worthy being equipped on a creature that already has Afflict

If a creature has multiple instances of afflict, each triggers separately.

Mirage Mirror

If an effect begins to apply to Mirage Mirror before it becomes a copy of another permanent, that effect will continue to apply. For example, if Mirage Mirror is activated twice in response to itself targeting first Rampaging Hippo then Frilled Sandwalla, the ability it has while it’s a copy of Frilled Sandwalla can be activated and its effect will continue to apply while Mirage Mirror is a copy of Rampaging Hippo.

I'm finding myself disagreeing with a lot of Luis' evaluations for some of these cards. He seems to think this is a slower format than all the evidence is pointing to. There is no way I would ever take Proven Combatant over a Unquenchable Thirst or Spellweaver Eternal

He seems to think Eternalize is going to be good, and I just do not see it. You'll be dead on board before you get to the costs of most of these overpriced vanilla 4/4s

Justin

Solemnity

If the cost of an ability or an additional cost of a spell requires putting counters on an artifact, creature, enchantment, or land, that cost can’t be paid. If a resolving spell or ability says that a player may put counters on one of those objects, that player can’t choose to do so.

Torment of Hailfire

State-based actions aren’t checked in between repetitions of this process, so the game state may be a little unusual while making the choice. For example, a player may sacrifice a creature and then later sacrifice an Aura that was attached to that creature.

Justin

I'm finding myself disagreeing with a lot of Luis' evaluations for some of these cards. He seems to think this is a slower format than all the evidence is pointing to. There is no way I would ever take Proven Combatant over a Unquenchable Thirst or Spellweaver Eternal

He seems to think Eternalize is going to be good, and I just do not see it. You'll be dead on board before you get to the costs of most of these overpriced vanilla 4/4s

Yeah it will be interesting to hear what Marshall thinks on tomorrow's LR set review. During the pre pre release he seemed really surprised at just how fast the agro decks played.

I'm interested in starting an online store for Magic cards because I thought of a gimmick that could set me apart from the current retailers out there.

However, I know nothing about developing a website.

Does anyone have a ballpark estimate of what I'd need to spend in order to get a site as robust as starcity or channelfireball up and running?

And I'd be inputting the individual cards and filling orders, etc myself. I'm just talking about the actual coding and designing.

If it's in the 10-20k range then it might be doable. If it's closer to 100k then that's right out and I'll just move on with my life.

Thanks folks!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm interested in starting an online store for Magic cards because I thought of a gimmick that could set me apart from the current retailers out there.

However, I know nothing about developing a website.

Does anyone have a ballpark estimate of what I'd need to spend in order to get a site as robust as starcity or channelfireball up and running?

And I'd be inputting the individual cards and filling orders, etc myself. I'm just talking about the actual coding and designing.

If it's in the 10-20k range then it might be doable. If it's closer to 100k then that's right out and I'll just move on with my life.

Thanks folks!
You have to keep like 20 copies of Goyf around at all times. It's expensive. Real expensive.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Image.ashx
You are allowed to reorder your graveyard so long as the format doesn't include cards that care.

Maledict

There are multiple explicitly Black-aligned protagonists in Magic's history, such as Toshiro Umezawa and Xantcha. I guess you can say they don't count, but they exist.

The key aspect of Black is doing anything to get what you want. This usually manifests as hurting other people, but it also often involves hurting yourself (Paying life). The whole "Black will do anything to win" joke really is Black's identity as a color. I mean, what's selfish or sadistic about Necropotence?

Right. And none of those protagonists are actually black mana based. There is literally nothing about Xantcha that fits the black mana other than her origins. Like the Aetherborn in Kaladesh, they've been lumped in with black but don't even match the 'good' version of black that Mario goes on about. Xantcha isn't selfish at all - yes, she tricks Urza to get her heart back but she also sacrifices herself at the end of the story and is the opposite of what blacks suppossed to be.

Also, 'do whatever is needed to win' isn't right. Because black is explicitly the colour of torture, pain and sadism. Black *enjoys* hurting other people, and enslaving other people.

Ultimately the attempt to put a patina of philosophy onto the colour wheel is interesting, and sometimes njoyable (I enjoy white when it goes into dictatorship territory) but it's ultimately always going to be a bit silly and full of holes because it wasn't designed that way, and retroactively trying to fit a philosophy onto it doesn't quite work. Green is another one - wizards seems determined to ignore what nature, and evolution, actually is or how it works. The idea that green of all colours is opposed to change, when it's suppossed to be the colour of natural selection and evolution, and nature 'red in tooth and claw', is just a bit silly... Theres no mystical harmony in nature, no 'perfect balance' - every species is always competing against each other, and often they change over time just to stand still.

You have to keep like 20 copies of Goyf around at all times. It's expensive. Real expensive.

If I get a $100k loan to buy Magic cards at dealer prices, and then I go belly up, I can still move my inventory and pay back most of the loan, even if I have to go through eBay and it takes a while.

If I get a $100k loan and spend it developing a website, and then I go belly up, I think I'm probably boned? I don't know how I'd even recoup a portion of my sunk costs.

But maybe I'm wrong. Like I said, I know nothing about web development assets. That's why I'm curious to know how much I'd have to spend on it.

bigkrev

If I get a $100k loan to buy Magic cards at dealer prices, and then I go belly up, I can still move my inventory and pay back most of the loan, even if I have to go through eBay and it takes a while.

If I get a $100k loan and spend it developing a website, and then I go belly up, I think I'm probably boned? I don't know how I'd even recoup a portion of my sunk costs.

But maybe I'm wrong. Like I said, I know nothing about web development assets. That's why I'm curious to know how much I'd have to spend on it.

OK, listen. Whatever your idea is, trust me, it's not going to work.

Just look at Isle of Cards- they had an awesome website interface, they smartly only dealt in Standard/Modern cards (ie, lower buy-in), and they were run by Cardhoarder, a business that has had great long term success in the MTG world (as a Magic Online shop). They had one of the most aggressive buylists, and they allowed bot credits to be used on the website, meaning it was possible to cash out of MTGO into paper cards fairly easily. Despite all that, they shut their doors a month or 2 ago after only going for a year.

ESPECIALLY if you are just one person, you should be focusing on Ebay/TCGPlayer if you want to try making money in Magic.

A_Dang

Update on my "extravagant" "Battle of the Planes" choices:

Going full on Mirrodin/New Phyrexia. My heart won out. My pack selection is 2 Mirrodin, 2 Darksteel, 2 Fifth Dawn, 1 Scars of Mirrodin, 1 Mirrodin Besieged and 2 New Phyrexia. Definitely went over my original goal of under $100...

Unfortunately I still have to wait almost 2 weeks before the scheduled event. I am fully expecting trash pulls and a really janky deck, I'll certainly post about how it ends up going. That said, does any one know of a good way to test custom sealed pools? The best site I've found that allows me to do something like what I am looking for is: http://draft.bestiaire.org/index.php. I can adjust the options to do 10 of any packs with 1 drafter which essentially makes it a 10 pack sealed pool, but its a really rough fix. Another site that is a bit cleaner, but only allows sealed pools of specific sets is mtgen.net (which I think I was originally linked to from a post here...). Thanks for any tips or info you may have!

Crocodile

I really like this one:

I can't tell you how often I see questions of "why aren't there any _______ people in this game" is responded to with "because it wouldn't be realistic" while a dragon or some other shit flies across the screen. It's such a stupid and infuriating mentality >_<

Good that WOTC gets it (I mean this isn't new, they've "gotten it" for a while). Other people need to get it together.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Just look at Isle of Cards- they had an awesome website interface, they smartly only dealt in Standard/Modern cards (ie, lower buy-in), and they were run by Cardhoarder, a business that has had great long term success in the MTG world (as a Magic Online shop). They had one of the most aggressive buylists, and they allowed bot credits to be used on the website, meaning it was possible to cash out of MTGO into paper cards fairly easily. Despite all that, they shut their doors a month or 2 ago after only going for a year.

That sounds like a reason why they would fail rather than succeed.

Santiako

Wrecking Death Shadow players with this guy has become really fun for me. They really need a way to deal with problack creatures.

9IlC3fe.jpg

bigkrev

That sounds like a reason why they would fail rather than succeed.

Buying cards is almost as important as selling them for dealers! Most stores travel to GPs more to buy cards than to sell them. If you aren't buying a steady stream of cards, your only way to replenish inventory is to crack boxes, and that's a great way to loose money.

bigkrev

Wrecking Death Shadow players with this guy has become really fun for me. They really need a way to deal with problack creatures.

9IlC3fe.jpg

So a friend of mine (who I haven't really talked to in a few years, so I didn't realize this happened till I saw this article, lol) went 8-0 at the SCG Invitational modern portion with R/G Ponza https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/i-see-blood-moon-rising-rg-ponza-in-modern/

He mentions in the comments the idea of adding Colossus to the SB, instead of the Baloths he currently has (which are for Burn matchups)

Santiako

So a friend of mine (who I haven't really talked to in a few years, so I didn't realize this happened till I saw this article, lol) went 8-0 at the SCG Invitational modern portion with R/G Ponza https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/i-see-blood-moon-rising-rg-ponza-in-modern/

He mentions in the comments the idea of adding Colossus to the SB, instead of the Baloths he currently has (which are for Burn matchups)

I'm playing Titanshift and CColossus has been performing amazingly. I run 2 of them and 3 Baloths. G2 I just turn into RG Midrange and it works wonders.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Buying cards is almost as important as selling them for dealers! Most stores travel to GPs more to buy cards than to sell them. If you aren't buying a steady stream of cards, your only way to replenish inventory is to crack boxes, and that's a great way to loose money.

And if you aren't predicting the market and dealing in more standard product, it seems like an easy way to be left holding the bag when something tanks, especially with such huge fluctuation in standard pricing in the past year (which has seen several cards lose most of their value overnight due to bannings.) The more egregious thing was people being able to convert MTGO tix to paper product, which seems like a good thing for players and a bad way to make money for anyone else.

I imagine this is something many of you are aware about, but a Sealed strategy described in this article is to put aside your rares face down without looking at them, evaluate your pool, and only then look at the rares. This helps you keep your eye on what colors are strong overall, instead of being distracted by a shiny rare in an otherwise weak color. I'll try it this weekend.

Also, I suppose this is worth mentioning. For beginners, the Hour of Devastation Prerelease is coming up this weekend, so be sure to call your local game store to sign up ahead of time. Use this to find a store near you.

Justin

Speaking about pre-release I am not really sure how to go about putting the desert cards in my deck. Are you putting in all the common and uncommon ones (except blue) you have in your colors? If you have no desert matters cards are you still putting in the common ones in for cycling?

Speaking about pre-release I am not really sure how to go about putting the desert cards in my deck. Are you putting in all the common and uncommon ones (except blue) you have in your colors? If you have no desert matters cards are you still putting in the common ones in for cycling?
First, consider the deserts in a vacuum, without the desert subtype. Then consider the cards you have that care about deserts.

I don't think you should include the cycling deserts on their own merits.

Also, missed this yesterday. Plane Shift: Amonkhet, a new Magic themed DnD module.

Also, 'do whatever is needed to win' isn't right. Because black is explicitly the colour of torture, pain and sadism. Black *enjoys* hurting other people, and enslaving other people.

Everybody who represents a color doesn't have to match every aspect of the color's philosophy. Black includes sadism but doesn't require it. Someone black-aligned can be fundamentally selfish and driven to survive at all costs without being actively sadistic the same way that someone can be blue if they have mind powers but can't swim.

I do agree that Xantcha is definitely not mono-black by the end -- maybe black/white. Her body is still made of pure black mana and is fundamentally destructive, but personality-wise she goes in the opposite direction by the end of her arc.

Violet_0

Banned
I imagine this is something many of you are aware about, but a Sealed strategy described in this article is to put aside your rares face down without looking at them, evaluate your pool, and only then look at the rares. This helps you keep your eye on what colors are strong overall, instead of being distracted by a shiny rare in an otherwise weak color. I'll try it this weekend.

Also, I suppose this is worth mentioning. For beginners, the Hour of Devastation Prerelease is coming up this weekend, so be sure to call your local game store to sign up ahead of time. Use this to find a store near you.
this just ain't me
raredrafting4life
check if you have desert synergy
check if the desert is worth playing over a standard land and worth the potential mana problems you might be facing. For example, the AKH 2/2 zombie token desert and -1/-1 desert are good, the "deals one damage to opponent" one is not. Don't go overboard with them unless you can effort it. You can probably put all the cycle deserts in your deck unless your deck is particularly agressive. Heck, I'd play all the color-producing deserts from HoD except blue

Colour works so much better as geographical or racial identifiers. You can pretty much only have philosophical influences within a closed society.

Take the cabal city. Citizens would be black outwards but a city could never work being majorly black.

Yeah, I mean, Creative made a conscious decision to stop doing any single-color societies starting with Ravnica for exactly this reason.
They moved laterally with Ravnica. The guilds are the face of Ravnica and while within the same city they are not that different from the cities and orders of Otaria, the stage just looks different.

Ghirapur might be the best realized city setting considering that. There are districts roughly associated with certain colours but people intermingle outside of clearly defined lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom