• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Rebought mana confluence at $14. Sold them a few months ago for $10.

How can city of brass be worth that much ffffuuuuuu third sets.

Firemind

So players can't be damaged by Rishadan Port, but Port isn't in standard and legacy Slivers isn't a thing. They're apparently scared shitless to print spells that can temporarily tap lands. (See: Icy Blast.) The glory days of Fire // Ice are behind us I'm afraid.

f0rk

What's the best Skullclamp archtype in a Rotisserie cube draft? The cube is pretty standard non powered, it has a Library though. I was thinking U/G with Master of Waves and Opposition as there shouldn't be much competition, but I don't know if it stands up when people are drafting dedicated decks like storm, tinker and stoneblade.

So players can't be damaged by Rishadan Port, but Port isn't in standard and legacy Slivers isn't a thing. They're apparently scared shitless to print spells that can temporarily tap lands. (See: Icy Blast.) The glory days of Fire // Ice are behind us I'm afraid.

That's... really weird and seems excessive. City of Brass flavour is da bes

Yeef

That's... really weird and seems excessive. City of Brass flavour is da bes
Mana Confluence is a much cleaner design. Since it's a life payment rather than a triggered ability, it reduces the complexity of the card. Things like Urborg and Chromatic Lantern give you an "out" from the penalty when they don't on City of Brass. It also prevents things like responding to the damage trigger on the stack, which is unintuitive.

Mana Confluence is a much cleaner design. Since it's a life payment rather than a triggered ability, it reduces the complexity of the card. Things like Urborg and Chromatic Lantern give you an "out" from the penalty when they don't on City of Brass. It also prevents things like responding to the damage trigger on the stack, which is unintuitive.

Holy crap, I've never once thought of that

Even so, it's disappointing that they're steadily removing the more arcane aspects of flavour. For example, from KTK, I think Cranial Archive's art is the only one that recognisably looks like a Magic card:

Cranial-Archive-Khans-of-Tarkir-Spoiler.png

What's the best Skullclamp archtype in a Rotisserie cube draft? The cube is pretty standard non powered, it has a Library though. I was thinking U/G with Master of Waves and Opposition as there shouldn't be much competition, but I don't know if it stands up when people are drafting dedicated decks like storm, tinker and stoneblade.

You could probably go Bant to ensure you draw Clamp with both Trinket Mage and Stoneforge Mystic. Would also give you access to Enlightened Tutor, Glare of Subdual, and Cloudgoat Ranger.

The best rotisserie cube deck I ever built was first pick Tinker, but that was in a fully powered cube.

I want to play a rotisserie draft where every card in Magic is part of the pool, and then just proxy the actual decks. Only hard part would be ensuring that no card is picked twice.

ElyrionX

Played against this last night. On his second attack he got both Cast Through Time and a Mind's Desire with storm count 5

Yeah he won that game

The one I played against jammed his deck full of equipment and time walks. He attacked two to three times every single time I passed my turn. It was obscene.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
She's a really good commander yup. I am disappointed that Surrak isn't a better RUG commander, but then again Riku is already just about the best I could hope for in those colors so I guess I could play him again.

kirblar

What was the reasoning for not reprinting City of Brass again?
They wanted to print it inside Theros block and just reprinted City of Brass in Modern Masters.

edit: Ok, this Delve deck Todd/Brad are running is a hilarious display of "we're not giving away the good stuff"

edit 2: God's Beard about to be vindicated with a Genesis Hydra coming up for ~10.

Negator

It's going to be very frustrating watching feature matches on camera with people missing Bloodsoaked Champion raid triggers.

Aaaaaaaand he loses that game. Punted hard.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

That's not why I imagine they did that, its because they don't want to deal with the trigger from COB to go on the stack every time it gets tapped.

kirblar

It's going to be very frustrating watching feature matches on camera with people missing Bloodsoaked Champion raid triggers.
Yuuup.
That's not why I imagine they did that, its because they don't want to deal with the trigger frmo COB to go on the stack every time it gets tapped.
Yeah, reducing MTGO complexity also reduces IRL trigger-tracking complexity, so I don't mind when they condense.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Lands in front on camera

Kacar

Deflecting palm puttin in that work. Jeskai tempo looks fun to play at least.

Yea and he also didn't return bloodsoaked on one occasion for absolutely no reason.

Will bloodsoaked champion become the 2nd most missed trigger in standard behind soldier of the pantheon?

I'm glad to see Genesis Hydra getting it done. It's got about 2 weeks to shine, until people start planning for it.

My Naya Planeswalkers deck is gonna have 4 Deflecting Palm in the sideboard. It's a great real and imagined threat to keep big guys at bay. It'll be one of those cards I accidentally put face up on the mat while I'm sideboarding so they play around it.

Angry Grimace

Will bloodsoaked champion become the 2nd most missed trigger in standard behind soldier of the pantheon?

I'm glad to see Genesis Hydra getting it done. It's got about 2 weeks to shine, until people start planning for it.

My Naya Planeswalkers deck is gonna have 4 Deflecting Palm in the sideboard. It's a great real and imagined threat to keep big guys at bay. It'll be one of those cards I accidentally put face up on the mat while I'm sideboarding so they play around it.

I saw literally every Planeswalker in the format get played last night. That was a bit odd.

Also, every single person playing Garruk pronounced it Guh-ruuk

Firemind

Narset is NOT FUN to play against in EDH. Shit is downright broken wtf.

Played against this last night. On his second attack he got both Cast Through Time and a Mind's Desire with storm count 5

Yeah he won that game
About time UWR got a half-decent general. :p

Now I'm just waiting for a half decent Grixis general...

Also lol scg opens. Can't wait for the PT to start to show these clowns how to play proper magic.

kirblar

About time UWR got a half-decent general. :p

Also lol scg opens. Can't wait for the PT to start to show these clowns how to play proper magic.
It seems fairly obvious that people just don't have access to the cards yet, and those who do are often not wanting to play their real stuff.

Firemind

I'm not talking about card availability. I'm talking about knowing what your cards actually do. :lol

it's one thing when you're saito and forgot what jtms does, it's another thing when it's an ability that defines the card.

It's like kibler's opponent who forgot the vindicate trigger from his angel in the final of a pt.

kirblar

I'm not talking about card availability. I'm talking about knowing what your cards actually do. :lol

it's one thing when you're saito and forgot what jtms does, it's another thing when it's an ability that defines the card.

It's like kibler's opponent who forgot the vindicate trigger from his angel in the final of a pt.
Oh, yeah, no, I know. I was talking about how this is just an awkward coverage day in general.

My LGS is selling five prerelease packs for $100 plus you get a foil promo that I think is the same as the buy a box promo.
I didn't go to the prerelease so I don't know exactly what's in them. Good or bad deal?

My LGS is selling five prerelease packs for $100 plus you get a foil promo that I think is the same as the buy a box promo.
I didn't go to the prerelease so I don't know exactly what's in them. Good or bad deal?

25 packs, 5 seeded packs, and a Rattleclaw Mystic. I don't know if that's the best deal. The prerelease packs were good value to buy because you got to play with them afterward.

Each prerelease pack comes with five regular booster packs and a seeded pack that has a higher quantity of cards affiliated with the clan that box is for. Let's assume the seeded pack is worth as much as a regular booster pack.

5 prerelease boxes * 6 booster packs/prerelease box * $3.99/booster pack = $119.70

So you'll be saving about $20 with that deal. Though as one should always note, the savings only really matters if you were going to buy all of this anyway.

Matriox

Huh. Just found out about this thread.

Sweet.

I don't know if I'd say its a good or bad deal, my hangup is for the same price you can get 36 packs vs 30, and out of those 30 packs youll be getting 5 of them (the seeded packs) have a 0% chance of getting fetchlands. Then again, you could get a foil clan leader which is kind of awesome. I probably would do it personally but I have little self control.

Matriox

Mardu Charm is a bad card.

It doesn't feel as flexible as the other charms, for sure. Seems alright after Dictate of Heliod is already in play (assuming this is the same Mardu tokens deck that placed last weekend) but yeah, its not super in most situations.

kirblar

It doesn't feel as flexible as the other charms, for sure. Seems alright after Dictate of Heliod is already in play (assuming this is the same Mardu tokens deck that placed last weekend) but yeah, its not super in most situations.
The other charms have effects that are still relatively mana-efficient. None of Mardu Charm's modes are.

Matriox

The other charms have effects that are still relatively mana-efficient. None of Mardu Charm's modes are.

The only one I think is close (EDIT: Closer than a 1 mana flame slash or Duress rather, still not close to 3 mana) is the psudo Raise the Alarm that gives first strike until end of turn, but still, I agree.

Wichu

There is only one true Grixis general:
286.jpg

I'm currently using the Time Spiral version, but I might try to find the revised-art one from From the Vault: Dragons at some point

The only thing with Bolas is that he kinda forces your deck into the 'evil mastermind' build. Which is actually a plus. It's the deck I most enjoy playing, though I need to practise my evil laugh a bit more.

I still need to grab a couple of cards for the deck, mostly to help stall out the early game while I formulate my diabolical plans. I currently have my eye on No Mercy - I'm hoping it gets reprinted with non-Phyrexian art, though (c'mon Commander 2014). I still haven't found a copy of the new art Control Magic yet either...

Oh, Marchesa is pretty boss in terms of Grixis generals that don't cost 6+ mana. It's a shame she doesn't kill in three hits, fly, or make people discard their hands, otherwise I'd consider playing her :p

Got two Wooded Foothills and Butcher of the Horde in the draft yesterday ^_^

Now I only need one more for my playset. Also, I hope I grab some sandsteppe citadels soon, I only have two and don't want to buy them -_-

Lord of Tresserhorn

Firemind

Marchesa is the anti-grixis. You don't want to have too many creatures and you don't want to be forced to attack a certain player. Backstabbing is Grixis's game. Lord Tresserhorn gets a pass because he's huge, but forces you to a specific strategy.

There's Nicol Bolas, his inferior cousin Crosis, Nekusar aaaaaand that's about it.

Matriox

Marchesa is the anti-grixis. You don't want to have too many creatures and you don't want to be forced to attack a certain player. Backstabbing is Grixis's game. Lord Tresserhorn gets a pass because he's huge, but forces you to a specific strategy.

There's Nicol Bolas, his inferior cousin Crosis, Nekusar aaaaaand that's about it.

Shrugs, I have a decent mill control Grixis deck with Jeleva, Love me some blatent thievery off other folks libraries. Nowhere near my best EDH deck but its a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom