• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

wat

Exalted was good, but Bant certainly did not overpower the other shards.

The panorama lands fixed three colours. I mean, yeah, the odds of playing war monk or thoctar on turn three is unlikely, but turn four is not that uncommon. Then there's a mana creature at common that taps for three mana, while in KtK there's mystic at rare.

Unearth works with Devour. It wasn't uncommon to see them together in a deck, since a lot of playable unearth and devour cards were mono colour.

I won drafts with synergy in mind. For example, the U/B unearth deck with Corpse Connoisseur as the engine. Sometimes I didn't even need a third colour or it was a very light splash. Same with Naya (splash red or white) and Bant (splash white or blue). Basically, it's the same with KtK. Don't take cards of equal colour and expect to do well unless you pick nonbasics highly. The advantage of KtK is you can play a bunch of morphs, but in my experience you're going to lose if you can't unmorph them.

KtK, like every other set, has a bunch of unplayable commons and uncommons, a lot of them being enchantments, healing salves and lens of clarity. What's your point?
People were picking up as many of the cheap exalted bros as they possibly could because you could have a 3/3-4/4 attacking guy super-early and just quickly win out the game when you played a guy with Evasion.

There's a very good reason why there are no mana critters at common/uncommon, they would be auto-1st picks in limited, much how Elvish Mystic was basically the best Green card in M15. This format is in large part about mana management/advantage and they would just be oppressive - the Raid BTE guy is really good too, but he doesn't let you have those same sorts of oppressively dumb starts.

People's draft decks/sealed pools are overflowing with playables in a way not seen since OG Ravnica block. The question isn't "do I have enough playables?" - it's "Which playables are best for my deck?" And a large part of the reason for doing that is of course the necessity of taking mana-fixing highly here. Because of that need, they bumped up the average power level of the rest of the cards. (Literally just realized this due to this conversation, lol.)

kirblar

You pay 5 mana to unmorph ponyback and it trades with their morph. Then what? The 3 1/1 tokens can't fight with any morph with five mana open. So they're chump blocking or triggering raid or in the best scenario, you can attack through with trumpet blast. That scenario is unreliable imo, since trumpet blast does nothing on defence. When you're behind, cards like trumpet blast and threaten don't do a lot.
Mardu is an aggro deck that's not interested in card advangtage- the 3 extra tokens help push through the last bits of damage necessary.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There's a very good reason why there are no mana critters at common/uncommon, they would be auto-1st picks in limited, much how Elvish Mystic was basically the best Green card in M15. This format is in large part about mana management/advantage and they would just be oppressive - the Raid BTE guy is really good too, but he doesn't let you have those same sorts of oppressively dumb starts.

I do love that guy though. My favorite Magic moments are when interactions I hadn't forseen occur to me while the cards are in my hand, like in my first Khans draft when I realized for five mana I could play that guy, use the raid mana and R to play another copy of the guy and then use that mana to drop out another three drop

Feels good man

kirblar

I do love that guy though. My favorite Magic moments are when interactions I hadn't forseen occur to me while the cards are in my hand, like in my first Khans draft when I realized for five mana I could play that guy, use the raid mana and R to play another copy of the guy and then use that mana to drop out another three drop

Feels good man
Oh, he's insane at providing board advantage/tempo, especially since he normally drops a morph into play. I love him too!

Arksy

Lots of people do 'netdeck' but there's nothing wrong with that. Actually playing a deck well goes beyond just having a good deck. Knowing what to play and when is very important.

The other thing to keep in mind, certain cards are "pushed," meaning, purposely designed to be powerful in constructed. Even if you're making your own deck from scratch, there's a good chance, because of pushed cards, of it looking a lot like something that's already floating around out there.

When I say that I mean that I don't want to be a player who doesn't think for myself and just goes off what other people say...I at least want the ability to appreciate and analyse the decisions other people make in their decks. The reason I say that is because of exactly what you said, the ability to buy a deck and play a deck are completely different and I want to focus on the latter for the moment while I'm still learning things.

Also when you say "pushed" do you mean the rare category in general? Because from what I can tell so far the rares seem specifically made to enable certain combos or play-styles.....although there are a few commons and uncommon that seem to do the same.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My personal favorite card besides Mantis Rider is Mindswipe. It's hard for people to play around because it just looks like you're out of gas and then BAM.

Eventually, people will learn to play around it, but for now, it's just the best.

Firemind

My personal favorite card besides Mantis Rider is Mindswipe. It's hard for people to play around because it just looks like you're out of gas and then BAM.

Eventually, people will learn to play around it, but for now, it's just the best.
Absolutely. When you're stuck in a stalemate and can't close the game, this is a godsend.

kirblar

When I say that I mean that I don't want to be a player who doesn't think for myself and just goes off what other people say...I at least want the ability to appreciate and analyse the decisions other people make in their decks. The reason I say that is because of exactly what you said, the ability to buy a deck and play a deck are completely different and I want to focus on the latter for the moment while I'm still learning things.

Also when you say "pushed" do you mean the rare category in general? Because from what I can tell so far the rares seem specifically made to enable certain combos or play-styles.....although there are a few commons and uncommon that seem to do the same.
"Pushed" means "We want this card to be good/see play so we're juicing the stats."

However, in an Erik Laurer set- almost everything at Rare ends up being pushed to be close to marginally playable as possible, which is super-awesome (and a big reason why I like his sets.)
Absolutely. When you're stuck in a stalemate and can't close the game, this is a godsend.
Come now, it's much better than Godsend.

Dat glare.

lol, the whole production is hilarious. My only experience with tournament magic is the SCG stuff, which seems more like a traditional TV setup. Still, it feels very 1995 in that room. Like some late-night poker coverage or something.. Then again, I guess it makes sense. Considering other gaming events, I don't know what I really expect (and I work in games). Anyway, just psyched to watch some matches- loved the Pack 1 Pick 1 Sorin.

Could they have more people standing around the table?

ultron87

The big advantage of "net decking" when learning a new constructed format is that you can get used to what goes into a competitive deck and get to succeed or make mistakes with a deck that has been proven to work and is capable of putting up results. Learning the ropes of a new format while also playing a middling deck is a much more grueling experience. I'd at least start out playing a proven archetype; once you've played constructed for awhile it becomes way easier to know what a good deck looks like when starting something from scratch or tweaking a deck list.

kirblar

The big advantage of "net decking" when learning a new constructed format is that you can get used to what goes into a competitive deck and get to succeed or make mistakes with a deck that has been proven to work and is capable of putting up results. Learning the ropes of a new format while also playing a middling deck is a much more grueling experience. I'd at least start out playing a proven archetype; once you've played constructed for awhile it becomes way easier to know what a good deck looks like when starting something from scratch or tweaking a deck list.
I also fully support net-decking if you're looking to play competitively. There is no shame in it - it's training wheels. Also, modern formats have been solved really quickly, to the point where there's not a lot of room to explore a few months in, so the risk/reward for experimentation isn't there.

Okay, Jeremi Dezani is a huge lucksack. You're supposed to get rewarded for finding the right clan for your seat, but this is absurd.

EDIT: And an Icy Blast? WTF. This draft is absurd.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The PT KTK Twitch chat is amazingly civil. It's difficult to remember a time when Twitch wasn't about memes and emotes. People are actually talking about the game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Sort of, although its not just rares, not by a long shot. its more that...after 20 years of the game existing, there are certain basic effects that they have a very good sense of how powerful they are based on how much they cost (or what additional effects they have). Sometimes they'll take a card they know is good and make it one mana cheaper to deliberately ensure that its powerful in the game, or things like that

They are noting every pick made by every player, to put on the Draft Viewer later

Oh, neat- again, just making shit comments, lol. Still, looks kinda ridic when you don't know what they're there for. I mean, there are a lot of refs in an NFL game, but you rarely see them all grouped up.

kirblar

He has multiple Bear's Companion and a couple of Snowhorn riders. And an Icefeather Aven. Plus Temur Ascendancy, Savage Knuckleblade, Temur Charm, and two Avalanche Tuskers. Bear punches, bears, etc. The deck is absurd.
Did he get the mana for it? That's basically the only problem DeTora's similar deck had at the GP.

bigkrev

Woah, Guillaume Matignon is unbanned and on team CFB? I thought he got a 5 year ban or something for his New Phyrexia leak!

Matriox

What did he leak? and NP was 2011.

EDIT: As a result, Guillaume Matignon was suspended from the DCI for three years,[15] but later reduced to one year. (Wikipedia)

Matriox

He was the source of the New Phyrexia godbook, which led to him (as reigning POTY) getting a gigantic ban

Yeah I wasn't very competitive around New Phyrexia and did little research about the game outside of what looked fun to play. I tried to look it up and came up unsuccessful, is the Godbook just the full spoiler?

Firemind

Yeah I wasn't very competitive around New Phyrexia and did little research about the game outside of what looked fun to play. I tried to look it up and came up unsuccessful, is the Godbook just the full spoiler?
He was a magazine writer/editor/whatever for a french magazine and got the full spoiler to write about the new set before printing. He leaked it to a bunch of other french players like Wafo-Tapa, who also got suspended as a result.

bigkrev

Yeah. He was writing an article for print- in a magazine called Lotus Noir, the best fucking name for a magazine about Magic ever, - and gave it out to his team almost a month before spoiler season started.

Matriox

He was a magazine writer/editor/whatever for a french magazine and got the full spoiler to write about the new set before printing. He leaked it to a bunch of other french players like Wafo-Tapa, who also got suspended as a result.

Yeah. He was writing an article for print- in a magazine called Lotus Noir, the best fucking name for a magazine about Magic ever, - and gave it out to his team almost a month before spoiler season started.

Oh shit. Thats crazy.. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Dezani with the mana screw. Amazing pulls do jack shit if you don't get mana lol.

EDIT 2: Magic Boardgame???

ultron87

I feel like you need to still have cards to call a game, even a board game, Magic. So you could end up with something like Wiz War or Summoner Wars. I can't imagine it'd be a large scale strategy game like Game of Thrones. Doesn't really fit the theme.

Exokell

Banned
Have you guys tried quiet contemplation in draft? I force it in draft all the time, people don't know how powerful it is so I always pick it in last packs. Goblin slide works great with the deck too. Feels like the cycling deck in vintage or flashback in innistrad. This set is so good, so addicting.

Matriox

I feel like you need to still have cards and deck to call a game, even a board game, Magic. So you could end up with something like Wiz War or Summoner Wars. I can't imagine it'd be a large scale strategy game like Game of Thrones. Doesn't really fit the theme.

Magic_Battlegrounds_Cover.jpg

No cards, no deck :p

EDIT: Actually in retrospect I think there is a decklist or spellbook or something where you have to pick your spells lol.

By the way, I've been on gaf for a reasonable amount of time and seen my share of threads. This is, easily, my fave. Love you guys :) Anyway, continue on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom