• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repgnar

Played my first draft last night. Everyone was pretty cool about it and I had a fun time. Ended up going 0-2 (Someone had to leave early and I was the lucky one that was going to play him in the third round) but still had fun. Managed to get 1 win off my first opponent which was more wins than I thought I was going to get. Drafted a white and red deck and thought it went pretty well. Had three close games with the first person I played and then got destroyed by a Abzan deck in the second round. Looking forward to playing another one, possibly tonight.

Matriox

Depends how he blocks. If he doesn't block the morph he dies on the spot.

Hm? Dezani didn't have any blockers with manfields last swing, had manfield not drawn a haste Dezani would have been at 1.

Yea it was just 9 if he still had a blocker for the weaponmaster.

Right, I guess I was just talking generally as the board was currently, not as a whatif scenario with a block.

Matriox

Huh? Weaponmaster is a 4/3 that gives +3, and War Behemoth is a 3/6. He was dead w/ no blocks already.

Ignore everything lol, I dont have the volume up and on terrible work monitors, I thought the War Behemoth was a Salt Road Patrol for some reason.

y2dvd

Played my first draft last night. Everyone was pretty cool about it and I had a fun time. Ended up going 0-2 (Someone had to leave early and I was the lucky one that was going to play him in the third round) but still had fun. Managed to get 1 win off my first opponent which was more wins than I thought I was going to get. Drafted a white and red deck and thought it went pretty well. Had three close games with the first person I played and then got destroyed by a Abzan deck in the second round. Looking forward to playing another one, possibly tonight.

Welcome to the best format of the game. I went 0-4 the first two drafts I've ever done lol. I've come a long way and even then I just consider myself average. I hope my lgs does draft tonight also. They switch between drafts and seals.

Twitter account @mtgprice is saying that the 55 minute round limit factored heavily into some pros' decks of choice. If control wins, be careful of speculating - the deck may perform significantly worse in 50 minute rounds.

Twitter account @mtgprice is saying that the 55 minute round limit factored heavily into some pros' decks of choice. If control wins, be careful of speculating - the deck may perform significantly worse in 50 minute rounds.

Didn't the M15 pro tour have the same effect? And am I crazy, or did they have 60 minute rounds there?

Arment

So I recently discovered a friend/co-worker used to play and is interested in starting back up. I've played the pc game for years but never made the transition into the actual game, mainly because I was broke and didn't personally know anyone who played.

There's quite a few shops around here that do tournaments for varying deck budgets and really I just want to start off slow. I was thinking of building a few budget decks and starting from there. I think starting that way would be preferable to buying a lot of start up packs like I see some places suggest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, what are some of the better websites to frequent when it comes to keeping up with magic strategy? Any good website/blogs?

Right now I'm just trying to decide which strategy I enjoy the most and go from there.

f0rk

I pretty much forced Izzet/Jeskai (p1p1 was 6/7 flash mythic in a meh pack) at FNM today and shockingly I agree with God's Beard, it's really good. People were durdling around with outlast or whatever while I bounced all their stuff and attacked. Will try and force again next time.

I pretty much forced Izzet/Jeskai (p1p1 was 6/7 flash mythic in a meh pack) at FNM today and shockingly I agree with God's Beard, it's really good. People were durdling around with outlast or whatever while I bounced all their stuff and attacked. Will try and force again next time.

It's shocking how strong Jeskai is. I hope it's just people figuring out the format, because it feels so OP whenever I fall into Jeskai. I'm considering just forcing it for a while to see how it goes.

Shockingly?

Wichu

So I recently discovered a friend/co-worker used to play and is interested in starting back up. I've played the pc game for years but never made the transition into the actual game, mainly because I was broke and didn't personally know anyone who played.

There's quite a few shops around here that do tournaments for varying deck budgets and really I just want to start off slow. I was thinking of building a few budget decks and starting from there. I think starting that way would be preferable to buying a lot of start up packs like I see some places suggest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, what are some of the better websites to frequent when it comes to keeping up with magic strategy? Any good website/blogs?

Right now I'm just trying to decide which strategy I enjoy the most and go from there.

Budget decks are a decent way to start, but only if you're playing against similar decks. Building a budget deck then getting crushed by top-tier decks is no fun.

Since you already know how to play, I suggest trying drafting - it's a good way to get a feel of the recent mechanics, build up your collection, and is a completely level playing field budget-wise.

I think the most popular websites are Channel Fireball and Star City Games, but the articles on the official site are good too.

Anyway, I finished my first FNM (I'd gone before, but I had to drop out as I was feeling ill). I played U/G morph, because I prefer having fun over winning.

My first two rounds (Sultai reanimator and Mardu control) were pretty awful; in the reanimator game I got unlucky and got wrecked by Hornet Queen, and the Mardu control player had little problem keeping my 2/2s off the board and landing his planeswalkers right on curve. Not much to say there.

The third round I went against R/W heroic; I got lucky and drew my Dragon's Eye Savants early, stopping my opponent in his tracks and letting me take over the game with Sagu Maulers and Icefeather Avens.

The fourth round was my favourite. I played against U/G midrange, and successfully confused my opponent into submission. Turns out that with Trail of Mystery on the board, morph creatures are really hard to block profitably.

Game one, I countered his Kiora with Kheru Spellsnatcher and started ticking her up. Soon after I cast Phenax, God of Deception ("Why are you playing him when you could be beating with Sagu Maulers?") and started milling with my army of Elvish Mystics. My opponent tried to eat all my creatures and kill Kiora with a Bow of Nylea deathtouch-enhanced Polukranos... which was under the effect of Kiora ("Oops"). Next turn I ulted Kiora and played Prophet of Kruphix (you can see where this is going...). One turn later, "Tap all my creatures, mill you for 15" "I don't know if I even have 15 cards left". He did... technically. 15 cards from the library to the graveyard, leaving 0 cards left in his library. "Wait a minute, I can keep myself alive with Bow of Nylea in my upkeep!" "Wait for Bow to resolve, then use my now-untapped Kraken (thanks Prophet!) to mill you again before you draw." "Oh.". My opponent was on over 40 life thanks to Coursers. Mill is fun (even if it's bad most of the time).

Game two involved the stacking of two Trails of Mystery (topdecked a third on the turn I attacked for lethal; a 2/2 suddenly becomes a 12/12 hexproof trampler) and several ill-fated attempts to save Kiora ("Throw my Courser and Caryatid at your face-down, and my second Courser and my Sagu Mauler at your other face-down" "First face-down: unmorph Temur Charger, gets +4/+4 and kills your Courser and Caryatid. Second face-down: unmorph Sagu Mauler, gets +4/+4 and kills your other Courser and your Mauler. I hope that 2-loyalty Kiora was worth it!"; next turn he throws a third Courser in front of another morph to save Kiora; "Unmorph Temur Charger; it gets +4/+4 and trample, kills Courser, and tramples over exactly enough to finish off Kiora")

tl;dr Morph is way too much fun.

Kacar

Very interested in what does well, invested in B/R/Mardu so hope it does well.

Edit: lol Rashad so silly

Edit2: lame draw for Ben Stark, LSV on combo should be fun. Also altar of the brood, awesome.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133822757]Did someone say Pearl Lake Ancient?[/QUOTE]

Replay life gain lands. Discard with Sphinx. Dig Through Time. Interesting.

LSV on Jeskai Ascendancy + Altar of the Brood combo. /kreygasm

Kacar

Those first round overeactions.

I bought a playset also.

Edit: Same with me on dig. One day I noticed it was $2 and thought that was super low. Unfortunately I prefer just to buy all the cards I want for my deck at once rather than one at a time.

bigkrev

Those first round overeactions.

I bought a playset also.

Even if it looses every round the rest of the tournament, the card will increase in price in the short term

Also, guess I missed my chance on Dig through Time. Can't get it for less than 5 bucks now.

bigkrev

Just bought a playset of Pearl Lake Ancients for 3.50ish
Apparently, it's the only finisher in the U/B control deck some CFB Pantheon guys are playing
What's the worst that can happen?

bigkrev

That Ensoul Artifact deck looks fun, and if you replace temple and Flooded Strand with basics, is under 50 bucks.

Will probably be really good at FNM

If PLA actually breaks out at the PT, I can't wait to see "that guy" on Reddit who spec bought pages of them.

That Ensoul Artifact deck looks fun, and if you replace temple and Flooded Strand with basics, is under 50 bucks.

Will probably be really good at FNM

I can't see the stream right now; is the list similar to the Saito "standard affinity" list?

kirblar

Just bought a playset of Pearl Lake Ancients for 3.50ish
Apparently, it's the only finisher in the U/B control deck some CFB Pantheon guys are playing
What's the worst that can happen?
What site? I just grabbed 2 for 3, just to have em. No one has many in stock at the low prices, makes ordering them a pain. Just grabbed See the Unwrittens for 3 each for a playset.

bigkrev

Biggest #hottakes reaction through 2 rounds- where are the Green decks?

I can't see the stream right now; is the list similar to the Saito "standard affinity" list?

More of an aggro version- uses Ghostfire Blade, Heliods Pilgrim (with a playset of Strata Walk, and singleton Spectra Ward and Singing Bell Strike), Hero of Iroas.

What site? I just grabbed 2 for 3, just to have em. No one has many in stock at the low prices, makes ordering them a pain. Just grabbed See the Unwrittens for 3 each for a playset.

I got them from Amazon- 3 from one seller at 74 cents each plus free ship, and 1 from another for 85 cents.

Perilous Vault is likely the breakout card of the U/B deck if it's real. Not that expensive right now, but could blow up.

Grabbed my playset of that as well. It doesn't seem like a good long term card (outclassed in Modern/EDH by Oblivion Stone), but will be a nice trade chip in the Spring.

Jesus, Pearl Lake Ancient sucks ass. Even in limited its a piece of shit waste of mana because it doesn't have fucking trample and gets chumped by that one-mana regenerator. What the fuck was Wizards thinking with such a pile of shit at Mythic?

6-7 pages ago certainly was a different time.

bigkrev

OToKFCz.jpg
Also

During the Deck Registration portion of today, Pro Tour competitor Greg Ogreenc was disqualified from the tournament.

Below is a statement from head judge Toby Elliott regarding the disqualification:

"During Limited deck registration at the start of Pro Tour Khans of Tarkir, Greg Ogreenc threw cards into the face of the player sitting opposite him. The DCI has zero tolerance for any physical aggression directed at other players during a tournament; after interviewing Greg and multiple witnesses to the situation, he was disqualified for Aggressive Behavior."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom