• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Modern Magic artwork is basically cheesy comic book stuff. It's so direct; always a center-frame shot of the dude in an AWESOME pose or something.

I don't think this is entirely fair. Their current stable are extremely technically proficient, and the illustrations on modern sets tend to be well composed and pretty dynamic. And they still do a few that are weird or more stylized:

86.jpg
150.jpg
34.jpg
81.jpg

(To pick a few from recent sets.) I think there's a lot of room to diversify, though; how many sorceries and instants (say) are wasted with random shots of dudes holding their heads or whatever? I know we're never gonna get back to the fine-art sheen of Mirage block, but even a little would go a long way.

Was that the era of Onslaught and Mirrodin Classic? Because holy shit was the art bad for those sets :/ :(

Yep. Easily the nadir of Magic creative: a brutally unsubtle approach to world-building that basically consisted of "race X lives in terrain Y; repeat over every card"; a series of bizarre and awful style-guide decisions (every Onslaught tribe mutates in a hideous and stupid way by Scourge); a bevy of perplexing choices like eliminating merfolk because "fights are on the land right"; and just generally claiming that anything that didn't appeal to dumb 13-year-old boys didn't belong. (As opposed to nowadays, when the Creative team make explicit efforts at inclusion.)

Somehow they managed to turn that around just a couple years later into Ravnica. Yeah, I dunno either.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";138321607]To be fair Charlequin, the best basic forest art ever was done by an art school dropout:[/QUOTE]

Link no worky. :(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah Mirrodin in particular you can tell that they just had enough of a style guide to, well, guide things, but not enough coherent control to keep it from being a visual mess. In particular there are an annoyingly high number of cards from Mirrodin that really venture into "science fiction" technology territory (I'm looking at you Skullclamp)

inthrall

I feel magic art has done its best when the set has a loose visual theme, allowing each artist to play to their strengths (things like Innistrad having a horror theme and looser art constraints). Some of this comes through on older set cards, but it was a lot less consistent overall (you don't see cards like this ogre or hi-5 bear anymore)

Yeah Mirrodin in particular you can tell that they just had enough of a style guide to, well, guide things, but not enough coherent control to keep it from being a visual mess. In particular there are an annoyingly high number of cards from Mirrodin that really venture into "science fiction" technology territory (I'm looking at you Skullclamp)

Dude, the Myr are all robots. Mirrodin IS a science fiction setting.

The Technomancer

Dude, the Myr are all robots. Mirrodin IS a science fiction setting.

The Myr look fine, I love their visual identity. I'm talking about shit like this:
Image.ashx

Image.ashx

They did a much better job in Scars IMO, lots more of the "organic metallic" look that was the most interesting thing about Mirrodin anyway

Guay, RFK and Quinton Hoover... so nostalgic.

If I were gonna try to list some classic Magic artists who best combined a strong personal style with excellent composition, strong technical skills, and a broad imagination (and, er, I had an hour to kill after getting back from a long trip):

Quinton Hoover

35.jpg
16.jpg
131.jpg
27.jpg
88.jpg
100.jpg

The combination of crisp linework with bold composition and a fine eye for detail made Hoover the standout artist in Alpha, and the last two cards here are still all-time classic illustrations. One of the people whose paintings immediately captured my attention way back in the day.

RIP Quinton. :(

Tom Wӓnerstrand

113.jpg
21.jpg
251.jpg
143.jpg

Tom's illustrations early on had some of the most interesting use of color -- either heavily muted palettes to give cards a hazy, lost-to-time feeling or oversaturated ones to make them feel extra alive.

Terese Nielsen

184.jpg
47.jpg
2.jpg
16.jpg
187.jpg
132.jpg

More than probably any other Magic artist, Nielsen combines skill at direct representation with a knack for striking abstraction. Her best stuff ranges all the way from conceptual to fine-detailed realism but stands out either way.

Rebecca Guay

58.jpg
10.jpg
77.jpg
143.jpg
24.jpg
270.jpg
192.jpg

The artist infamously fired by the art director because she wouldn't appeal to the game's target 13-year-old-boy demographic, then brought back when everyone presumably realized how idiotic that was. Her art is beloved for that delicate faerie tale quality; thankfully they got her to provide some excellent pieces for Lorwyn and Theros to play to that strength.

Mark Tedin

408.jpg
200.jpg
23.jpg
36.jpg
7.jpg
397.jpg
22.jpg

Tedin has this great ability to make things look just gnarly and weird. He illustrated a bunch of the best and most famous cards from early in Magic's history and he was a concept artist on many sets so his style is pretty ingrained in the game's history.

Anson Maddocks

2.jpg
25.jpg
240.jpg
114.jpg
310.jpg
157.jpg

What Tedin does for rough, odd inanimate objects, Maddocks does for smooth organic creatures. His anatomy and odd compositions give his stuff a living feeling that a lot of other artists miss.

Scott Kirshner

107.jpg
63.jpg
39.jpg
15.jpg
309.jpg

Kirschner's stuff looks like an illuminated manuscript gone wrong. Another artist whose work brings a surreal storybook feeling to the game.

Richard Kane Ferguson

1.jpg
110.jpg
30.jpg
373.jpg
100.jpg
32.jpg

RKF uses excessive detail and bright colors to make everything feel dynamic, and puts a larger-than-life comic-booky edge on the legendary characters he illustrates. Another person who put a really strong stamp on the game early on.

Kaja Foglio

211.jpg
8.jpg
23.jpg
43.jpg

Her husband's more famous, but I always thought Kaja had a great sense of composition and did a great job on some pieces that lightened the tone of the game without just being explicitly silly like Phil's.

Drew Tucker

74.jpg
16.jpg
79.jpg
85.jpg
31.jpg
212.jpg
46.jpg
24.jpg

I saved the best for last. Drew Tucker is the perfect embodiment of what Magic art is missing out on today: an unrepentant impressionist illustrator whose work uses implication and tone to tell a story in a way that far more detailed artists never could. (And Dandan might be one of the best MTG illustrations ever.)

This list leaves out a bunch that were already well-known for work elsewhere like DiTerlizzi, Brom, Carl Critchlow, Geof Darrow, Donato Giancola, etc.) or those who have a personal style that used to stand out but is now a bit swamped by hyperrealistic digital imitators (thinking mostly of Kev Walker, rk post, and Matt Cavotta here.)

I think any of those would improve things if they were utilized today and allowed to actually follow their own styles -- a lot of these came back for Time Spiral block but weren't able to push the boundaries as hard as they had early on.

y2dvd

Some of my favorite from Khans.

Mardu Heart-Piercer
ML_24.jpg

In this image above, [Karl Kopinski] stripped away all the other aspects and just painted—traditionally, mind you—a perfect Tarkir image. This is a Mongolian, Magic-style. It’s hard to tell where the Ottoman Turk or Mongolian ends and the collectible card game begins. This should be a very, very expensive artwork due to its iconic nature and flawlessness in focus. The lighting on the helmet alone is noteworthy. This is a new standard; traditional artworks are back.

Singing Bell Strike
ML_28.jpg

There is no blur. I remember a small storyline point in Dragonball when Goku no longer teleported—he was just that fast. The cartoon no longer showed blurs around his movement, they just showed him in the new location. That was a stupidly clever move by the animators.

This is the most hyper-real image I’ve ever seen in Magic outside of Henry G. Higgenbotham’s still-life photographs he took that became card art! What’s so fantastic is the restraint Chase [Stone] used. There is no blurring of legs to show movement. We are able to see some Face Off–level makeup and design work with an expertly-created figure showing Jeskai’s utter grace. Boy, asking an artist to show grace—on a Magic card—and not cheat is damn hard. The slight upturn of the creature’s head to show surprise is just incredible. That’s A+ work.

BTW, since we're talking about old-school art, "The Gathering," the Kickstarted book of new art from early MTG artists, is available for direct purchase now: http://www.fullsteampress.com/the-gathering.html

As an aside, is this the worst Magic card?

251.jpg

Most of the worst cards of all time are in Legends and The Dark. These are a good choice, although the block-landwalkers cycle, or the cycle this is part of

75.jpg

are pretty fucking awful too.

Love the post charlequin! Never seen some of these cards before, love me some Terese Neilson! Richard Wright does a lot of my favorite new cards

Also really like Carla Ortiz:

Ortiz is very good and I'm hoping she gets more work in the future. Something doesn't quite sit right with me about most of Wright's stuff although I do really like Pearl Lake Ancient.

The Technomancer

Most of the worst cards of all time are in Legends and The Dark. These are a good choice, although the block-landwalkers cycle, or the cycle this is part of

75.jpg

are pretty fucking awful too.

I mean, the thing is that might not be an awful effect in the right environment. The problem with all of those old cards like Balduvian Shaman was that there was no greater context to give their effects meaning. Sea King's Blessing would be limited playable in an environment rife with effects like, I dunno, "all blue creatures have flying"

kirblar

I mean, the thing is that might not be an awful effect in the right environment. The problem with all of those old cards like Balduvian Shaman was that there was no greater context to give their effects meaning. Sea King's Blessing would be limited playable in an environment rife with effects like, I dunno, "all blue creatures have flying"
This would have been potentially playable in Invasion limited, for instance.

Ortiz is very good and I'm hoping she gets more work in the future.
Well Karla Ortiz is an illustration superstar that's in high demand so I think she just has other things she's been working on like book covers and concept art for movies and that world of fire and ice or whatever book that just came out.

I mean, she quit her job at fucking ILM because she could make more money being independent and traveling around the world giving art seminars.

Lucario

Holy shit, there's going to be an Urza Block Sealed event at GP New Jersey. $60 for a Saga tournament pack and one pack each of Legacy and Destiny.

I think I'm more hyped for this than I am for the main event.

Also, I sold some of my VMA winnings from last season and purchased elves online. Feeling much more comfortable with the deck now, the only matchup I truly hate is Miracles. Here's hoping I can day 2!

Firemind

Holy shit, there's going to be an Urza Block Sealed event at GP New Jersey. $60 for a Saga tournament pack and one pack each of Legacy and Destiny.

Get ALL the Pestilences.

RE: Art. Nostalgia bomb, guys. I want an OG blackborded Sol Ring now.

bigkrev

Also, I sold some of my VMA winnings from last season and purchased elves online. Feeling much more comfortable with the deck now, the only matchup I truly hate is Miracles. Here's hoping I can day 2!

If that was on either Saturday or Sunday, i'd be there. The fact that it's 4:30 p.m. on a workday kills it for me though :(

Lucario

If that was on either Saturday or Sunday, i'd be there. The fact that it's 4:30 p.m. on a workday kills it for me though :(

There's also a revised/chronicles/4th sealed event on Saturday, I think it still has slots left.

$100 for an italian WB revised starter, and one pack each of Chronicles and 4th.

And on Sunday there's a revised draft, which is almost certainly going to be hilarious.

bigkrev

There's also a revised/chronicles/4th sealed event on Saturday, I think it still has slots left.

$100 for an italian WB revised starter, and one pack each of Chronicles and 4th.

And on Sunday there's a revised draft, which is almost certainly going to be hilarious.

That seems like really bad EV, and god those games are going to be brutal- I wouldn't be shocked if you needed to do stuff like splash a Grey Ogre because creatures were so bad then.

Hmmmm..... maybe.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
All aboard the MODOSUX train!

I wish I trusted MODO. I would love to buy into Vintage there.

Dude, I was like "aww, man, I was being too hard on the ol' MTGO client the other day." I logged in and after one GAME, it was eating so much memory that it nearly froze up my laptop. On reset, it worked again. The train is leaving the station, man.

Maledict

How the hell were both Pestilence and Corrupt printed at common in the same set?

That was my first experience with drafting and sealed and it was mad. Black was so deep you could end up with half the table playing it - and they'd still have good decks that would beat the non-black stuff.

Saying that, my favourite experience was playing sealed and not realising that green was supposed to be bad, and creature enchantments wee even worse. I loaded up with rancors and treetop villages and proceeded to stomp on things repeatedly in my ignorance...

How the hell were both Pestilence and Corrupt printed at common in the same set?

I love Pestilence on power level, but I refused to put it in my Peasant Cube for the same reason that I don't have the old Tim - I don't want cards from the "we don't know what colors do" school of thought.

Thank goodness for Pyrohemia, a "color shifted" card that puts the effect into the correct color, ironically enough.

red13th

If I were gonna try to list some classic Magic artists who best combined a strong personal style with excellent composition, strong technical skills, and a broad imagination (and, er, I had an hour to kill after getting back from a long trip):

Love this post, agree with it completely.

Spirit Link, how could I have forgotten that card. So iconic.

Like Whithering Boon. I took that out of the cube because it would piss off new players.

I do have Mana Tithe in the cube, but that somehow feels okay to me. Brute Force is another example; it's not good enough to be in the cube, but it doesn't bother me. But yes - something like Withering Boon is kinda silly; just throw another Terror effect in there instead and it's basically the same thing without feeling so out of place.

I love Pestilence on power level, but I refused to put it in my Peasant Cube for the same reason that I don't have the old Tim - I don't want cards from the "we don't know what colors do" school of thought.

Thank goodness for Pyrohemia, a "color shifted" card that puts the effect into the correct color, ironically enough.

Pestilence seems totally in flavor for what black is trying to do. It was also a staple of the color all the way through at least Mercadian Masques (Thrashing Wumpus - one if my favorite black cards actually).

Just because Wizards decided that black doesn't do that anymore, doesn't mean it's not a good fit.

Blue pinging, on the other hand, I agree is dumb. It was out of flavor, it did things blue isn't supposed to be able to do, and it was part of the color for way too long

Actually, MaRo has mentioned that Pestilence is still within black's color pie. Symmetrical negative effects often appear in black, and direct damage is something that black can do, though usually less often than red or only in red hybrid / off-color flashback cards, and usually paired with life gaining. In any case, they did print this guy a few years ago.
Image.ashx

kirblar

Pestillence effects just don't get printed in the modern age period because they're broken in limited and too hard to push in constructed. I have no idea where it's actually supposed to be- I thought it was still black though.

OnPoint

Bump in the Night is a good example.

Symmetrical death is a black thing. Look at Black Sun's Zenith.

Where else would Pestilence effects go? I would definitely say black.

Black still has damage-dealing cards, like Pharika's Cure and Corrupt. It's within its purview to deal global damage to creatures; the -X/-X effects are just better due to bring harder to nullify.

Red doesn't get -X/-X effects, so they have to make do with just damage.

Also remember that colors can share effects. That's the whole concept behind hybrid cards, for example

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah, symmetrical "death" for black is literally creature death via destroy/sacrifice, or symmetrical "decay", like -1/-1 to all.

OnPoint

Symmetrical damage is a red thing. Damage in general is a red thing, right?

I think it depends on flavor/context.

Pestilence as an effect and a thought is quite black. And framed that way, I can definitely see it being in black secondarily. Especially if someone is pouring their own black mana in -- sacrificing yourself and your own things to spite your opponent and gain victory is 100% a black thing.

But yes, primarily damage dealing is a red thing. I think Bump in the Night got it because A) sometimes black deals damage (Sorin's Thirst, Drain Life, etc) and B) it's a flashback card with red splashed in

ultron87

Black only really gets direct damage effects in the form of life drain (Pharika's Cure, et al), so it is odd to see it damaging stuff but not doing the draining. I think a Pestilence that is creatures get -1/-1 and players lose 1 life would fit fine. But that's a clunkier line of rules text.

Bump in the Night is life loss, not damage. So that makes it way more black.

OnPoint

Black only really gets direct damage effects in the form of life drain (Pharika's Cure, et al), so it is odd to see it damaging stuff but not doing the draining. I think a Pestilence that is creatures get -1/-1 and players lose 1 life would fit fine. But that's a clunkier line of rules text.

Bump in the Night is life loss, not damage. So that makes it way more black.

I know that, but it always felt like semantics. It so rarely ever comes up as meaningful, I wonder why they even have a distinction.

If Pestilence is black, then why is Pyroclasm red while black gets cards like Drown in Sorrow? Am I missing something obvious?

It's both. Red gets basically anything that deals damage, including damage to all creatures (Pyroclasm, Starstorm). Black gets to deal damage to all creatures and players. The latter doesn't come up often anymore because between Infect/Mutilate effects (all creatures getting -X/-X), life draining, etc. black just doesn't have much use for it any more. But I'm pretty sure they could print a

166.jpg

with all red/black hybrid symbols today if they wanted to.

I know that, but it always felt like semantics. It so rarely ever comes up as meaningful, I wonder why they even have a distinction.

Originally it was a timing thing (life loss actually "happened" "faster" under the Alpha rules), then they kept the distinction around as basically a shortcut to unpreventable damage, and now it's even a bit more distinct because you can't redirect life loss effects to planeswalkers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Doesn't trigger's red's damage multiplication (which can be relevant), nor would it trigger damage prevention (less relevant these days).

OnPoint

Originally it was a timing thing (life loss actually "happened" "faster" under the Alpha rules), then they kept the distinction around as basically a shortcut to unpreventable damage, and now it's even a bit more distinct because you can't redirect life loss effects to planeswalkers.

That's really important. It should be printed on the cards that use it like they do with all sorts of other stuff we don't need reminders of, because that one, while logical, is way less obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom