• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roommate just came back to the dorm with over 3000 Magic cards that him and his dad have been collecting.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

bigkrev

arc20141202_holidaycard.jpg

Holiday card this year

Grakl

I really should not spend so much money on this dragon collection of mine... Foil Scourge of the Throne, foil Japanese Yosei, foil Japanese Ryusei. Even a foil Lotus Guardian, an Invasion card that's been errata'd, demands 5 bucks! Dragons are expensive!

Next on my to-do list:
Foil Japanese Jugan
Foil Japanese Keiga (already own a foil Chinese but want Japanese version for authenticity)
Foil Thundermaw Hellkite (still not going down)
Foil Stormbreath Dragon (will go down eventually)
Foil Sarkhan, Dragonspeaker (will go down eventually)
Foil Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker ($15 for Conflux version are you kidding me?)
Ask my friend to remove my Nicol Bolas FTV: Dragons edition from his EDH deck (thing is worth $20!)

pls for the sake of my wallet don't print too many mythic dragons in Fate Reforged and Dragons of Tarkir wotc
This is why I don't collect dragons.

Firemind

I think I have a foil Thundermaw lying around. We may have to talk haha
Nice! I'd definitely want one, since it's not only playable; it also has some sweet artwork, which is the most important factor as a dragon collector! Name your price, sir!

This is why I don't collect dragons.
It's fun though! I mean I didn't really plan on getting foil versions; they didn't even have foils until Urza's Saga. It just kind of got out of hand rather quickly at some point. I remember I paid a lot for an original mint Nicol Bolas (which has horrendous art by the way) and a foil 7th edition Shivan Dragon (first foil of its kind!). Now they're near worthless lol. Ah well. At least I still have a Beta Shivan Dragon that I paid 70 bucks for and a Chinese Zodiac Dragon that I got for free.

I really should not spend so much money on this dragon collection of mine... Foil Scourge of the Throne, foil Japanese Yosei, foil Japanese Ryusei. Even a foil Lotus Guardian, an Invasion card that's been errata'd, demands 5 bucks! Dragons are expensive!

Next on my to-do list:
Foil Japanese Jugan
Foil Japanese Keiga (already own a foil Chinese but want Japanese version for authenticity)
Foil Thundermaw Hellkite (still not going down)
Foil Stormbreath Dragon (will go down eventually)
Foil Sarkhan, Dragonspeaker (will go down eventually)
Foil Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker ($15 for Conflux version are you kidding me?)
Ask my friend to remove my Nicol Bolas FTV: Dragons edition from his EDH deck (thing is worth $20!)

pls for the sake of my wallet don't print too many mythic dragons in Fate Reforged and Dragons of Tarkir wotc

I know how you feel. I had to trade a foil basic Forest from Theros to get the foil Mending Touch for my Karla Ortiz collection. And one time I had to ask a guy nicely to give me his Wooly Loxodon after a draft.

I'm going to go punch something, BRB.

Okay, I'm back. Just had to mulligan to three to find my first land in the finals of another cube draft to finish 2-1. This is after finishing 1-2 in that cube draft I was bitching about earlier (the draft went off the rails completely, but I had a chance to salvage it had that not happened). Just another reminder that Magic is not always a fair game.

In this Legacy cube, my game win ratio is 19-11. A 63% win rate certainly isn't bad, but I feel like I'm missing some sort of "level-up" moment in the cube to push me over the top. I've noticed that my win rate is a little worse than previous iterations of the cube (I haven't had a 3-0 yet in this cube, despite having played it 9 times, whereas I played it 9 times total across the last two iterations and had 3 3-0s). I'm clearly missing something about this cube.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's pretty weird that new silver-bordered cards still have the black bottom. Anyway, it's a bit disappointing how the silver part is just tacked onto the end, but it's still an amusing card.

Still need to be sorted by whatever cheap-shit machines Wizards uses to sort their cards. I don't know for a fact that they cut corners with their machines, but its Wizards.

ultron87

It's pretty weird that new silver-bordered cards still have the black bottom. Anyway, it's a bit disappointing how the silver part is just tacked onto the end, but it's still an amusing card.

I don't think they can do the "only if it makes tokens" thing in black border. I believe telling the future of what a spell will do if it resolves is a thing the rules don't generally attempt.

Unless you're playing Equinox. But Equinox is weird.

Also, the Temur Delver lists make me glad that the Modern tradition of "but why not Tarmogoyf?" is still alive and well. I've always found it funny how well it can work. And then sad, since I don't have any.

Yep. Apparently there was some card availability issues with Fatestitcher that prevented some people from playing the deck

I'm not being superfluous when I call those lists beautiful. Those decks are so, so good. Figuring out how to remove the green mana from the deck...ugh. I love it.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Please excuse the stupid question.
I don't play magic, I don't actually want to play magic (No one to play with)
But I like the cards and the video games.

Anyhoo, I like angels. And from playing the planeswalkers games it seems there are a bunch of angel cards.
So, any chance there's like a booster or starter deck thing of all angel cards? I really don't wanna buy cards one at a time or hunt them down. I don't care how good the cards are either, I just want a nice white deck with a bunch of angels that can potentially be played if an emergency ever comes up.

Magic gaf please help me.

Firemind

So, any chance there's like a booster or starter deck thing of all angel cards?
Heavenly Inferno? Do they still sell those? It also has a bunch of demons and dragons though. And I never noticed Kaalia is a human; I always thought she was an angel lol. At least the deck has the grandmother of all angels Akroma (or Serra Angel depending on your definition).

ultron87

So the two prepackaged angel decks I can think of off the top of my head are the "Divine" deck from the Divine vs Demonic Duel Deck and the Angelic Glory Intro Pack from Avacyn Restored. The Duel Deck is really old and super expensive now, so that probably isn't a good option.

The Intro Pack is more than 2 years old now, but you might be able to find it on a random shelf at Walmart or some game store if you look around.

Lucario

Heavenly Inferno? Do they still sell those? It also has a bunch of demons and dragons though. And I never noticed Kaalia is a human; I always thought she was an angel lol. At least the deck has the grandmother of all angels Akroma (or Serra Angel depending on your definition).

Heavenly inferno sells for like $200 sealed for some reason. People go pretty crazy with angel collections I guess.

Please excuse the stupid question.
I don't play magic, I don't actually want to play magic (No one to play with)
But I like the cards and the video games.

Anyhoo, I like angels. And from playing the planeswalkers games it seems there are a bunch of angel cards.
So, any chance there's like a booster or starter deck thing of all angel cards? I really don't wanna buy cards one at a time or hunt them down. I don't care how good the cards are either, I just want a nice white deck with a bunch of angels that can potentially be played if an emergency ever comes up.

Magic gaf please help me.

I just finished sorting through my white cards, and if you're interested, I could make you a random collection of nothing but angels for pretty cheap. What are you looking to spend?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Heavenly inferno sells for like $200 sealed for some reason. People go pretty crazy with angel collections I guess.

I just finished sorting through my white cards, and if you're interested, I could make you a random collection of nothing but angels for pretty cheap. What are you looking to spend?

Honestly, no clue. I also don't know what pretty cheap means in magic terms haha. Gonna look at what was posted and see what my options are.

Can a real angel deck actually be good? I'm not very experienced with magic, but I once did a search on some online database abaut angel cards. Most of them are quite mana-expensive and there don't seem to be any cards like "all other angels get +1/+1". Heavenly Inferno also is more or less a random deck with a bunch of angels in it, not exactly an angel-themed deck. At least that's my impression from the link Firemind provided...

Firemind

You can make a angel tribal deck with Kaalia. There are a bunch of White/Red and White/Black angels that you can abuse her with. Sure, she isn't an angel herself, but I personally run a dragon tribal deck with nothing but dragons with Zirilan of the Claw as my commander, since he's my only option to fetch dragons.

That or you can run a mono white Akroma deck, assuming you want to play Commander, which is okay, but not as exciting as Kaalia.

ElyrionX

Just keep an eye out at your local big box stores? I was finding them no problem the last couple weeks.

I can only find them at a LGS here and they price them in line with the market.

Honestly, of the 5 decks, the White one sucks to play. It has no inevitability and ends up just kind of doing nothing or being the fun police. The Red, Green, and Blue decks are probably the most fun to play, in that order, while the Black one at least has an end game. The White one just kind of putters along.

I will be amending it heavily, adding PWs and creatures and artifacts. The deck just has a lot of cards that I would need off the bat and it's easier to buy it than to find the single individually.

Firemind

I'm going to go punch something, BRB.

Okay, I'm back. Just had to mulligan to three to find my first land in the finals of another cube draft to finish 2-1. This is after finishing 1-2 in that cube draft I was bitching about earlier (the draft went off the rails completely, but I had a chance to salvage it had that not happened). Just another reminder that Magic is not always a fair game.

In this Legacy cube, my game win ratio is 19-11. A 63% win rate certainly isn't bad, but I feel like I'm missing some sort of "level-up" moment in the cube to push me over the top. I've noticed that my win rate is a little worse than previous iterations of the cube (I haven't had a 3-0 yet in this cube, despite having played it 9 times, whereas I played it 9 times total across the last two iterations and had 3 3-0s). I'm clearly missing something about this cube.
I've played a number of Legacy cube drafts now and I feel like I figured it out. There are a number of viable strategies as always with cube; the trick is to evaluate your picks, estimate the chances of wheeling, hope your picks get picked up by the people next to you, and of course run well during the games. I've 3-0'd with Kiki-Jiki, mono white aggro, U/B reanimator and mono blue devotion as well as a number of 2-1s. The only deck I haven't drafted successfully is mono red. :lol

But I digress. For every pick, you need to evaluate what you can pick up later and whether you can pick up a second colour by picking lands. This is so important. I've done a lot of wrong picks in hindsight, which could affect your games even just a little bit and cause you to lose. There are a number of times where late picks saved me post boarding, by boarding out the bad cards against that certain deck. I don't think I need to tell you this as you're an experienced cube drafter, but I felt I should emphasize this.

Now what am I going to do with 18 VMA packs? :lol

I don't have this trade set up with anyone, but do you think my foil Sarkhan for three Flooded Strand is a thing I should try to do?
It looks like the fetchland rare is $20!?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't have this trade set up with anyone, but do you think my foil Sarkhan for three Flooded Strand is a thing I should try to do?
It looks like the fetchland rare is $20!?

If your trade partner is a little crazy, then sure.

ElyrionX

I can't believe I am saying this but EDH is actually quite fun. With the right play group of course.

Oh and I think I am done with Standard for now.

I'm watching the World Championship replays this morning. Even though I understand why they have the policy of giving out decklists for the draft portion, it's really ruining a lot of these matches, especially in game one.

y2dvd

Yeah, EDH is a lot of fun with the right group. I try to spread damage around so one player doesn't get targeted and lose fun of the game, unless it's my roommate's Animar decl who deserves to get hate!

My old playgroup in Perth was pretty chill. They would occasionally give me the stinkeye when I would Capsize the entire board in my Zegana deck, but nobody got butthurt about it. The only card that I would play that would really annoy anybody was Prophet of Kruphix (to be fair, it is really annoying to have one person keep saying "wait a second" every time someone else says "go").

y2dvd

My old playgroup in Perth was pretty chill. They would occasionally give me the stinkeye when I would Capsize the entire board in my Zegana deck, but nobody got butthurt about it. The only card that I would play that would really annoy anybody was Prophet of Kruphix (to be fair, it is really annoying to have one person keep saying "wait a second" every time someone else says "go").

I can't lie, I always try to reanimate my graveyard via Living Death containing Prophet of Kruphix, Woodfall Primus, and Deadeye Navigator. Soul Bond Woodfall Primus and Deadeye Navigator, sac Woodfall Primus with whatever sac mechanics, blink and repeat until I destroy all lands. Feels dirty but oh so good lol.

I can't lie, I always try to reanimate my graveyard via Living Death containing Prophet of Kruphix, Woodfall Primus, and Deadeye Navigator. Soul Bond Woodfall Primus and Deadeye Navigator, sac Woodfall Primus with whatever sac mechanics, blink and repeat until I destroy all lands. Feels dirty but oh so good lol.

See, I just Tooth and Nail for Deadeye Navigator and Palinchron. With infinite mana, I can draw my deck by blinking Zegana, and either win by Laboratory Maniac or just Capsize every other permanent, or even the last backup plan is to make a giant Polukranos and wipe the board. In the meantime, I get to ramp, play Prophet of Kruphix and Consecrated Sphinx, yada yada yada.

Or sometimes I just play my Melek deck and try to kill people with Ignite Memories and/or Dragonstorm. That's for when I just want to tool around and see what happens. I once decked two other players on the same turn with Blue Sun's Zenith. Tee hee.

My playgroup has a pretty good no mass or repeatable land destro mentality. I like it.

My philosophy is simple: if you are going to wipe everybody's lands, you had better be winning that turn or the next. I don't much care what kind of destruction you wreak if it's in the service of a quick victory. But if you Armageddon and the game is going to keep going for another 10 "turns..." ugh. EDH is full of haymakers that win the game on the spot; if it happens to be locking your opponents out of playing spells, that's fine - just win quickly.

See, I just Tooth and Nail for Deadeye Navigator and Palinchron. With infinite mana, I can draw my deck by blinking Zegana, and either win by Laboratory Maniac or just Capsize every other permanent, or even the last backup plan is to make a giant Polukranos and wipe the board. In the meantime, I get to ramp, play Prophet of Kruphix and Consecrated Sphinx, yada yada yada.

Or sometimes I just play my Melek deck and try to kill people with Ignite Memories and/or Dragonstorm. That's for when I just want to tool around and see what happens. I once decked two other players on the same turn with Blue Sun's Zenith. Tee hee.

My philosophy is simple: if you are going to wipe everybody's lands, you had better be winning that turn or the next. I don't much care what kind of destruction you wreak if it's in the service of a quick victory. But if you Armageddon and the game is going to keep going for another 10 "turns..." ugh. EDH is full of haymakers that win the game on the spot; if it happens to be locking your opponents out of playing spells, that's fine - just win quickly.

There was a guy like that that I played once. He had some kind of loop he was trying to set up where he could get rid of any number of permanents. So I cast Worst Fears on him the turn before he could do it and wiped his own board.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141455773]There was a guy like that that I played once. He had some kind of loop he was trying to set up where he could get rid of any number of permanents. So I cast Worst Fears on him the turn before he could do it and wiped his own board.[/QUOTE]

Mindslaver and Jester's Cap effects make me cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom