• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Pros don't have locked decks a week before the event. And we're not talking random card shops out on the street, these are vendors who WotC brought in. I don't think there's any way that making people waste their time looking out for shady duplicitous bullshit makes for a better game.

Nobody is "making" anyone do anything. You literally can't write a rule against that. If you can come up with one, go for it, but I doubt you can do it without it being super nebulous in terms of the drawn line.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
$10 packs is straight up asking me to quit playing Magic. They are pieces of cardboard; they cost almost nothing to print.

Yeah the draft last night had an insanely high-power pool.

In just pack one, I got a Crater's Claws, foil Mantis Rider, two Mystic Monasteries a Jeskai Windscout and a Jeskai Elder. And somehow even though I was passing a great Temur deck the guy to my left thought he could be Jeskai as well. I was passing Winterflames at like 7th pick it was nuts.

Also, my grand finals opponent had Sorin, Seige Rhino, two Dead Drops, three Abzan Guides, two Debilitating Injuries and fucking five Hooting Mandrills lol

First-ever Legacy Cube draft (and my first time on Magic Online in years), and this is what I just built:

14ObGgb.jpg

All three Eldrazi, Show and Tell, Eureka, Sneak Attack, Through the Breach, and Summoning Trap, loaded up with acceleration and card selection to make sure I get some combo or another.

I'm eager to see if it works out like I want it to

Btw, I went to a new LGS, Anime Imports in Pacifica. Super friendly atmosphere, the owner had free food and swag for all the players including a free Theros block draft because of a charity event he was doing that day. He even had the mayor show up and chat with us which was cool.

And the draft payout is 20 store credit to first which is way better than I'm used to so that's awesome as well.

Highly recommended to anybody visiting northern California.

Well, I 3-0'd it. Highlight of the tournament was attacking with both Ulamog and Kozilek in the same turn in the final game. Deck was pretty insane.

Next time I'm going to try the single elim so I can try to get some actual product out of it.

Edit: Are you kidding me?! The Legacy Cube goes away after December 10th? THE DATE OF MY LAST FINAL???

ARGH those jerks! As soon as I'm going to have the free time to conceivably do multiple drafts in a row, these will be pulled away from me :(

Nobody is "making" anyone do anything. You literally can't write a rule against that. If you can come up with one, go for it

"If you share information about purchases with players participating in a WotC Organized Play event, you are banned for life as a vendor at WotC Organized Play events." This doesn't seem hard!

EDIT: It is a limited run. At $10 a pack. Did they learn nothing at all from MM1? WTF

Whether or not one agrees with it, their goal with MM was to increase the total quantity of certain cards in circulation, letting the number of Modern players go up without completely deflating the value of existing collections. They achieved that (Modern is significantly more popular now) although the demand for Modern cards went up so much that format growth more than erased the price drops of everything over $20.

MM2 is supposed to have a bigger print run than the first, it'll have way more opened at the GPs than the first, and the $10 MSRP means it'll be marked up less total by shops. It fits with the idea that they want to slowly but surely chip away at the list of Modern staples without spooking collectors.

Basically, if they get people used to the idea that they're gonna do this every couple years, and slowly ratchet up the print runs, it means that no one can bitch about how their collection was suddenly devalued -- people will have the reasonable chance to dump modern staples or to hold onto them knowing they might decrease in price. If they keep doing that while reprinting major staples (fetches, Thoughtseize, etc.) in Standard where they can, it'll keep the format alive without producing any more serious collector backlash.

I think Noble Hierach is pretty much a lock for a reprint. That's why I have been holding off on it.

I would be shocked if either Noble Hierarch or Damnation is missing from this set.

Firemind

Well, I 3-0'd it. Highlight of the tournament was attacking with both Ulamog and Kozilek in the same turn in the final game. Deck was pretty insane.

Next time I'm going to try the single elim so I can try to get some actual product out of it.

Edit: Are you kidding me?! The Legacy Cube goes away after December 10th? THE DATE OF MY LAST FINAL???

ARGH those jerks! As soon as I'm going to have the free time to conceivably do multiple drafts in a row, these will be pulled away from me :(

There's always Holiday Cube! Can't wait to draft an actual Storm deck again!

Angry Grimace

"If you share information about purchases with players participating in a WotC Organized Play event, you are banned for life as a vendor at WotC Organized Play events." This doesn't seem hard!

You can't ban a vendor for life, particularly given that "vendors" aren't necessarily a single person. WOTC doesn't have the kind of power you apparently believe they have.

Angry Grimace

You can't ban a vendor from selling at an event that you organize and control completely after they violate a conduct rule you put in place? Wut.

I legitimately don't understand if you're just feigning ignorance or not. "Vendors" aren't PEOPLE. Vendors are entire organizations staffed by lots of people.

The rule you are suggesting is utterly unworkable in every possible way and also is way out of line with the punishment for actual cheating.

I legitimately don't understand if you're just feigning ignorance or not. "Vendors" aren't PEOPLE. Vendors are entire organizations staffed by lots of people.

I... actually can't even imagine what makes you think this is a useful or relevant piece of information to this conversation?

Angry Grimace

I... actually can't even imagine what makes you think this is a useful or relevant piece of information to this conversation?

Your proposed rule isn't workable. You might as well ban players from "trying to figure out what cards other players are playing."

That is the problem. There isn't a non vague way to write a rule against that while keeping things legal that have to be legal in terms of solving the meta game.

Organizations don't share information with players. Employees might but you can't impute that to the organization without being Draconian. Steve who works for SCG isn't SCG as an entity. It also doesn't describe a particular conduct, it describes the object of other forms of conduct, which can be interpreted many ways. It's just too vague as to what and who is doing what wrong.

It also punishes the wrong entity. The original point was about PLAYER conduct. A rule that restricts dealers needs to be legally binding because that relationship is contractual in nature. You literally cannot enforce that rule. It is void for vagueness (assuming vendors even contract with WOTC directly, which I doubt.)

Organizations don't share information with players. Employees might but you can't impute that to the organization without being Draconian.

Oh, I see the problem. That's exactly how rules agreements with vendors and exhibitors work at conventions and public events, though: the event organizer holds the vendor organization responsible, which gives the vendor the incentive to either keep their employees in line or to proactively turn them in at the first sign of impropriety. Banning SCG (for a year, or whatever, life was just an example) isn't really any different from banning them because their employees got drunk on duty, or lit the hotel room on fire, or knowingly sold counterfeit cards.

It also punishes the wrong entity. The original point was about PLAYER conduct.

I don't see anything wrong with having other players' decks reported to you; I do see something wrong with an official vendor exploiting their relationship with Wizards to help a specific competitor. I wouldn't do anything to a player unless it was already forbidden behavior for vendor employees and the player encouraged those employees to knowingly break the rule.

ElyrionX

Anyone in here have experience building a UR Counterburn/Combo deck for EDH. I am looking into this now and am currently a bit lost on how or where to take it.

kirblar

You ban the vendor because it's in WotC's best interest to promote them as a "safe space" to the players. Who cares what the vendor thinks, this isn't about their incentives at all.

You ban the vendor because it's in WotC's best interest to promote them as a "safe space" to the players. Who cares what the vendor thinks, this isn't about their incentives at all.

Right, I totally agree that's the underlying reason. All I meant by incentives is that if this kind of thing has economic implications for the vendor, they have a good reason not to look the other way if individual employees are doing something shady.

kirblar

Right, I totally agree that's the underlying reason. All I meant by incentives is that if this kind of thing has economic implications for the vendor, they have a good reason not to look the other way if individual employees are doing something shady.
Ya, you're not the one whose posts I'm reading in stunned disbelief. :p

Firemind

Playing until the dying seconds of a game on MTGO is mental in a bad way, but when you clinch it, it feels very liberating.

My latest cube deck:

Ashiok has overperformed for the second time. It can take over the game very quickly on an empty board. I milled my opponent out and beaten him/her with his/her own Mulldrifter. Playing it on an empty board is the hard part, but I feel U/B has enough tools to its disposal to accomplish that. Of course, it helps when you have Consecrated Sphinx, Karn, Shackles, Damnation and Upheaval. :p

Anyone in here have experience building a UR Counterburn/Combo deck for EDH. I am looking into this now and am currently a bit lost on how or where to take it.

Who's your general?

You can go a bunch of directions with U/R. Either you can ramp and tap out for sweet stuff, which will draw ire. Or you can be passive, help out players, but above all survive, then take over when a bunch of players are eliminated. Or you can combo, draw and play all the cards and end the game immediately, which isn't exactly fun for everyone involved but you, but hey, Niv-Mizzet approves!

Personally, I'm thinking of rebuilding my Niv-Mizzet EDH deck, except going from control/combo to pure combo. No Curiosity, since it's kind of cheap. Just all the Time Twisters and Wheel of Fortune effects I can find, play Omniscience and go through my deck while pinging them. Enter The Infinite too, since it has sweet art. Also, it must feel pretty good to just take your deck and put the bottom card on the place you picked up your deck. Unless my opponent asks me to count the cards because of Niv-Mizzet triggers. In that case I'll concede. :lol

Angry Grimace

The underlying issue is that I don't think its as easy to ban the vendors as you think it is. Its legally suspect to terminate a contract for a vague reason like that. Its not actually workable, it just sounds sort of good.

How much do we want to bet they use the horrible promo art on the Bitterblossom in MM15 instead of the kickass Guay artwork?

Ya, you're not the one whose posts I'm reading in stunned disbelief. :p

Not sure why you'd read what I'm saying in "stunned disbelief." Its not even a matter of whether they should, its a matter of whether they can. Even assuming WOTC as a third-party could ban vendors from the event (which is suspect), there'd have to be some specific trigger that would make that enforceable. I don't think one exists.

kirblar

The underlying issue is that I don't think its as easy to ban the vendors as you think it is. Its legally suspect to terminate a contract for a vague reason.

How much do we want to bet they use the horrible promo art on the Bitterblossom in MM15 instead of the kickass Guay artwork?
The contracts are for one event. It's well within WotC's rights to withhold them for future events.

Angry Grimace

The contracts are for one event. It's well within WotC's rights to withhold them for future events.
Well, first of all I'd ask exactly how you know how they contract the vendors. And sure, I guess they could do that, but its mostly then just an ad hoc decision of whether they don't like a particular vendor. They aren't going to do that for the same reason they already don't do that - there isn't really a huge number of vendors with the necessary supply of cards to supply these events.

Let me ask you - do you really believe Dezani's strategy is new?

Well, in MMA they did this with Aether Vial (big step up), Doubling Season (big step up), Kiki Jiki (push), Lightning Helix (I like the Ajani one, personally), Maelstrom Pulse (step up), Myr Enforcer (step up, probably), and Thirst for Knowledge (step down), so I feel like their track record is pretty good. Then again they didn't use the sweet Guay promo art for Path to Exile for some reason.

Firemind

goyf is awful tho.

bridge from below received a massive upgrade on the other hand. you win some, you lose some.

also i don't know if i love the squee art or hate it.

kirblar

Well, first of all I'd ask exactly how you know how they contract the vendors. And sure, I guess they could do that, but its mostly then just an ad hoc decision of whether they don't like a particular vendor. They aren't going to do that for the same reason they already don't do that - there isn't really a huge number of vendors with the necessary supply of cards to supply these events.

Let me ask you - do you really believe Dezani's strategy is new?
I believe they pay the vendors to come to the PT since they're unlikely to make their money back from travel and such as they're no longer open events, but the PT players need cards. source: I know vendors.

They will definitely fly them in and such for an event like Hawaii.

It may not be new, but it can't be tolerated if it becomes public knowledge. And the players will revolt if there are issues with a vendor- see the Team SCG dissolution.

Arksy

Where do I go for good competitive standard decks? (edit: lists) (Preferably the more exclusively KTK the better because that's all I've been drafting so far).

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";142294840]Does Lord of Tresserhorn count as UR?[/QUOTE]

Not sure about that. How does the deck win?

I am mainly looking at commanders like Niv Mizzet, Melek and Keranos. Niv Mizzet seems to win through infinite combos with the general itself which is boring to play and Melek wins through storm combos which can also go infinite but may take a long time to go off.

I am looking for a counterburn combo deck that builds in multiple wincons in a single deck with as little creatures as possible. Not sure if that's viable.

Not sure about that. How does the deck win?

I am mainly looking at commanders like Niv Mizzet, Melek and Keranos. Niv Mizzet seems to win through infinite combos with the general itself which is boring to play and Melek wins through storm combos which can also go infinite but may take a long time to go off.

I am looking for a counterburn combo deck that builds in multiple wincons in a single deck with as little creatures as possible. Not sure if that's viable.

You want Talrand. It's not UR, but it sounds like the style you're looking for.

Yeef

No we don't.

Can we print this instead?

UB
Switch the power and toughness of up to four target creatures until end of turn. Exile all cards from all graveyards. Draw a card.
This doesn't actually work unless the card exiles itself. By the time state-based actions are checked, this car would already be in the graveyard and goyf would survive.It's the same reason you can't bolt a 2/3 goyf if there's no instants in the yard.

Where do I go for good competitive standard decks? (edit: lists) (Preferably the more exclusively KTK the better because that's all I've been drafting so far).
http://mtggoldfish.com
http://mtgtop8.com

v1lla21

I know I'm late to the party here as I only play Magic casually with friends and family, but man, I went to Channel Fireball to pick up some cards for the elf deck that I made and noticed a card named Hornet nest so I bought two. And man is it awesome.

I played against my cousin's dragon deck and i completely destroyed him. My cousin puts out a kilnmouth dragon, thanks to a seething song and geosurge, and reveals 2 dragons from his hand and adds 6 counters to it. Before his turn is over I use pit fight and make his kilnmouth fight my hornet nest and I put out 11 1/1 flying deathtouch tokens. Next comes my turn and I cast whirlwind and destroy the 3 dragons he had out. The look on his face was priceless.

Long story short, Hornet Nest is awesome.

There are only seven red/blue generals in the game. Two of those are Niv-Mizzets, which both will play kind of similar silly-general-combo-style. Tibor and Lumia is built around a Jeskai-style spell-aggro thing, so that's out. Nin the Pain Artist is mostly interesting if you have the option to use the ability on both sides of the table. Jhoira is mostly good if you're getting around the cost of big scary spells, so not well-suited to counter-burn. That just leaves two.

If you go with Melek, you want to stock up on library manipulation and big mana, then combo out with Grapeshot or Young Pyromancer or something. WotC ran an article a while ago that at least plows through a bunch of the options for a build.

For what you're talking about, though, I think Keranos is the right choice: he keeps you gassed up even while you're drawing lands, he starts burning your opponents out all by himself, and you don't even really need to turn him into a creature. Then you'll probably wind up somewhere along the lines of this or this.

Angry Grimace

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
10 dollars a pack.

Wow. Uh. Well, if I don't buy any more cards until then, I can probably buy like, 2 boxes. I feel bad for anybody who isn't a working adult with no kids though, because WotC basically told them to go fuck themselves running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom