• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knight of the Holy Nimbus has a "pay on destroy" clause. My version is much closer to the original one where you don't have to pre-pay.

Image.ashx

?

This uses similar wording to what I wrote, and there's nothing about paying on destroy. I still don't see what the problem is.

Firemind

Bruteforced Jitte in the second round and won, but in the final succumbed to that fucking aquaman wannabe merman. FUCK PROTECTION FROM RED.

Figures. Should have hatedrafted it. :lol

Bruteforced Jitte in the second round and won, but in the final succumbed to that fucking aquaman wannabe merman. FUCK PROTECTION FROM RED.

I swear white weenie is way more annoying to lose to than mono red ever was. I managed to find time for another cube draft tonight, got forced into ramp (elves with Opposition backup) because nothing else was open, and just folded to Spectral Procession into Crusade. I don't know why, but I get way saltier losing that way than to burn.

EDIT: Well now I'm really salty. I ended 1-2. My third round opponent literally had it all every single time. It was actually quite remarkable how often he had the perfect answer to what I was doing. The key play was him Pact-ing my Garruk, Primal Hunter while already being tapped out under an Opposition (how perfect is that).

Ah well, c'est la vie. This is what I was playing:

oqzVYPN.png

I'd love it if they used M16 to reprint the filter lands. The full set of 10. They've been in need of printing those for a while. Either those or the Man-lands.

The filter lands are something they can really print anywhere; the names are pretty generic and given that they've used hybrid in some capacity in six of the last ten years they're clearly pretty comfortable using it where it's helpful.

The man-lands are the cycle I actually expect to see completed with enemy colors next time we're in Zendikar, so given that Ruins of Zendikar or whatever is almost certainly happening next year M16 would be a great place to reprint the allied ones.

Anyone who thinks they aren't printing the enemy fetches in Dragons care to explain why?

There are people who originally took some of Forsythe's vague statements to mean we wouldn't see any fetches this year but now are assuming they just meant that we wouldn't see the ZEN fetches specifically.

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but if they print something obviously overpowered just for nostalgia, then yeah, I don't quite buy that Maro's legitimately of the mind that "we can never print that again because its too overpowered."

Basically my point is that when something is just a little overpowered but fun then everyone loves to see it come back, but when it's overpowered as part of an oppressive, format-ruining archetype then it's a harder sell. The Swords seemed like they were going to be the former but thanks to the way the format was structured turned out to be the latter.

I agree. They so often run away from good things because they got them 'wrong' the first time. It's a damn shame.

If it means not trying to do Kamigawa again I am 100% behind this policy, lol.

I don't think the allied swords are particularly necessary, anyway. They already had to stretch a little just to get them to five.

Arksy

How much are FNM drafts generally in the US? Here it's $20 which is kind of funny because the cost of 3 booster packs is usually $20-21 here in Australia.

How much are FNM drafts generally in the US? Here it's $20 which is kind of funny because the cost of 3 booster packs is usually $20-21 here in Australia.

I used to draft for $15 in Perth, but that was with no prize support (other than the FNM promo). Not sure what the normal price for a draft is here in the States though.

Lucario

why are people willing to do this

0Z3lSYA.png

Which card? I really hate protection in Cube environments =\

OnPoint

If it means not trying to do Kamigawa again I am 100% behind this policy, lol.

I don't think the allied swords are particularly necessary, anyway. They already had to stretch a little just to get them to five.

I guess I kind of can get behind that. Kamigawa was a disaster.

I disagree that they had to stretch to get the other swords though. The Scars-Besieged-NewPhyrexia swords were awesome. Granted, I didn't play during the CawBlade menace, I only really came back in when Zendikar block was rotating out, so my foray back into constructed play really started with Scars-Innistrad-M12 standard. I didn't think they were too oppressive during that time, though they were useful.

I feel like the swords during CawBlade were hated because of the cards around them and what they enabled. But I could be wrong. Seems like once Squadron Hawk, Jace, Stoneforge, and others were gone, people mostly complained about the Titans and Delver.

Kerrinck

Can you guys think of any multicolored silver bullets in modern? Trying to build a 5c gifts with a wish package but I can't seem to come up with too many ideas.
What I got so far: Slaughter games against scapeshift and Combo in general. Decay vs blood moon, ascendancy and twin. Firespout/S Verdict against creatures in general and siege rhino if I need a threat and/or life gain.
Need some stuff against burn/delver and rg tron which are pretty popular in my area.

Can you guys think of any multicolored silver bullets in modern? Trying to build a 5c gifts with a wish package but I can't seem to come up with too many ideas.
What I got so far: Slaughter games against scapeshift and Combo in general. Decay vs blood moon, ascendancy and twin. Firespout/S Verdict against creatures in general and siege rhino if I need a threat and/or life gain.
Need some stuff against burn/delver and rg tron which are pretty popular in my area.

Fracturing Gust

At some point I need to figure out what to do with my draft spoils from last season; I'm sitting on some cards that need a home, and I just haven't figured out what to do with them. Nothing super valuable, other than a Rabblemaster, three Theros Thoughtseizes, and a foil Theros Thoughtseize (and I guess a foil Soul of Theros is worth something too).

I just don't know the right way to depart with them and not lose a ton of value.

Kerrinck

At some point I need to figure out what to do with my draft spoils from last season; I'm sitting on some cards that need a home, and I just haven't figured out what to do with them. Nothing super valuable, other than a Rabblemaster, three Theros Thoughtseizes, and a foil Theros Thoughtseize (and I guess a foil Soul of Theros is worth something too).

I just don't know the right way to depart with them and not lose a ton of value.

The crappy commons and uncommons I just give them away since I'll probably never find a use for them. As for playable cards, I usually keep them if I think they will see modern play like Seize or sell/trade them at my lgs.

MjFrancis

My draft rares get sold on eBay. Despite it's flaws and fees, it's still the easiest way for me to convert unwanted cards into cash.

Junk rares are put in a trade box.

And finally, I collect draft commons and uncommons in boxes of 500 cards and hand them out at the end of drafts to new players, usually kids.

MjFrancis

$12 pays out to the top 2-3 and $15 is pack per win.
I deal with a $15 entry fee with prize support for the top 3. Not that bad until you consider that all the pods are mixed. When drafts reach 28-32 people in 4 pods all thrown together, a single game loss throws out the possibility of winning prizes, let alone a match loss.

I think I'm missing something because I don't understand how people come out ahead on Pucatrade. I always hear that you can convert your random draft leavings into legacy staples or whatever, but don't the cumulative shipping costs just wreck that plan? How do you manage to find a single person who wants enough random draft stuff to make the cost of shipping worth it? And it also takes forever to input your collection because as near as I can tell, you have to do it one copy of a card at a time and type in teh card's name every single time (so like if youre trying to input 4 Siege Rhinos, you have to type 'Siege Rhino' and click on the pulldown menu 4 times) - I haven't found a way around this.

Help?

The crappy commons and uncommons I just give them away since I'll probably never find a use for them. As for playable cards, I usually keep them if I think they will see modern play like Seize or sell/trade them at my lgs.

I have a box of crap that's sitting a closet that I keep around for lulz, but I have a binder of rares (most of them bulk) that has some sweet stuff in it. Just trying to figure out the best way to deal with it.

Lucario

I think I'm missing something because I don't understand how people come out ahead on Pucatrade. I always hear that you can convert your random draft leavings into legacy staples or whatever, but don't the cumulative shipping costs just wreck that plan? How do you manage to find a single person who wants enough random draft stuff to make the cost of shipping worth it? And it also takes forever to input your collection because as near as I can tell, you have to do it one copy of a card at a time and type in teh card's name every single time (so like if youre trying to input 4 Siege Rhinos, you have to type 'Siege Rhino' and click on the pulldown menu 4 times) - I haven't found a way around this.

Help?

I only ship orders that total 150+ points. Otherwise, as you mentioned, shipping ends up destroying your value.

Shipping draft bulk isn’t worth it. There are occasionally people who want a few hundred points worth of random commons, but even if you manage to find the trades, the amount of time it takes to sort and ship means you're basically working a minimum wage job that pays out in legacy staples. It also makes it so your send-a-card screen is cluttered as hell.

For adding cards to your collection, you can use your arrow keys on the dropdown menu to add the same card multiple times, or you can search for the card normally and click on “add to my collection” multiple times.

Oh, and remember to set up a browser plugin or script telling you whenever a new trade is available, or even confirming the trades for you (assuming you only add cards to you have list that you’re 100% ready to trade).

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Basically my point is that when something is just a little overpowered but fun then everyone loves to see it come back, but when it's overpowered as part of an oppressive, format-ruining archetype then it's a harder sell. The Swords seemed like they were going to be the former but thanks to the way the format was structured turned out to be the latter.

I guess my problem there is that Sword of Feast and Famine never struck me as "just a little overpowered."

OnPoint

What is that art even supposed to mean? Juzam Djinn with angelic wing and abstract body? Couldn't be more obscure. :lol

I looked at the link and it said something about it being related to Fate Reforged. So my guess is that's Ugin, and it has something to do with what happens to him during the story.

It's really obscure though.

Wichu

I'm a tad jealous. I haven't been able to find DDA at MSRP so far, and I'm not really willing to pay above that.

I paid £80 (~$120) for mine - that seems to be the normal price here. I actually preordered mine online because I didn't know what my local stores would charge, but it turns out I didn't need to worry - both of them have also got it at £80.

Firemind

What's the deal here? None of the decks really have any money cards. It's not like they're From The Vault. The box looks nice I guess?

Wichu

What's the deal here? None of the decks really have any money cards. It's not like they're From The Vault. The box looks nice I guess?
It's a nicely-presented box set you can pull out for some casual games, or teach new players with?

If you're buying DDA for value/singles, you're doing it wrong :p

Wichu

Do the decks fit back in sleeved?
Yep. The deckboxes are larger this time; I used Dragon Shields and they comfortably fit the sleeved decks + tokens (there are quite a lot in Elves/Goblins). Not sure if you can fit double-sleeved decks (I doubt it).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

He wants the decks to play Magic. Weird, I know.

Lucario

WoTC didn't print very many, and there's a sizable market segment that will buy literally any limited edition Magic product.

Also, it's fun to play with unmodified duel decks sometimes, plus they're good for teaching newer players. The newer duel decks are terrible, so I understand why there's demand to have some precons to play with that aren't 75% filler.

I disagree that they had to stretch to get the other swords though.

Sword of War and Peace doesn't even do new stuff, it's just damage and lifegain again!

Also, it's fun to play with unmodified duel decks sometimes, plus they're good for teaching newer players.

Yeah, through most of college we just had a collection of the old precon decks stretching back about six or seven years, that gave us enough to play with a bunch of people for years without needing everyone to bring their own decks. The Duel Decks, Commander Decks, etc. these days are a lot better than those were.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Duel Decks were also the intro point for me really getting back into paper after DotP rekindled the love. Me and wife still play with the Knights vs Dragons deck on occasion. They've been mostly replaced with commander decks for casual play throughs, but they definitely are a great tool for new and/or casual players.

Angry Grimace

I feel bad for not picking Faeries in my Modern Masters draft when it was so open and then I saw a Scion and felt more bad.

I did however, win my first match with nothing terribly good in my Giants (lol) deck other than a single Figure of Destiny. And that fucking Red Mythic dragon that's worth 30 cents.

I'm a tad jealous. I haven't been able to find DDA at MSRP so far, and I'm not really willing to pay above that.

Its very close to MSRP on eBay. Driving to a store that doesn't have it like once probably wastes more money than you save.

I entered a Win-a-box event at my LGS today as a way to get some last-minute practice for this weekend's PPTQs. Right before the tournament I decided to just say fuck it and throw four copies of Mistcutter Hydra into my sideboard because of the meta I was expecting. Huge payoffs when I played against both a Temur deck and especially Esper control, the match I feared the most.

Luckily, I somehow managed to win the finals with my bad deck full of unplayable cards thanks to variance and all my opponents playing magic for the first time today. And I probably only won the finals because we agreed to split and I totally would have been crushed if my opponent was playing seriously. Joking aside, it was some much-needed experience since I hadn't been to the shop for standard in a while. Esper control is such a miserable matchup, and I'm not sure what else to bring in other than 4 thoughtseize and 4 mistcutters to shore up the match. Maybe just ignore it and hope to dodge them?

Also, my first round opponent was Ivan Jen playing Jeskai Heroic Combo. I never know if I'm dead when I play against his deck lol. Pretty fun games.

As far as my deck performance, I feel like Soul of Theros just isn't relevant in enough games. I think I only got to push the button once all night, and swapping him out to lower my mana curve might be worth consideration. Brimaz is at the top of my list.

Receipts for grimace, half a box(well, 17, but the last one slid under a book in my backpack and didn't notice when I took the picture.):

ABZROVK.jpg

As an aside, I feel like I'm turning into an asshole when I play. I catch myself doing the Ari Lax thing a lot where you talk about your opponent's plays before they do them. I know it annoys some people, but it just kind of comes out as part of my thinking through things. I try to otherwise be as friendly as possible during games but who knows what people think. Also, I drink a lot of sugar when I play, which may or may not affect my behavior negatively.

Oh, I did try to goad my finals opponent into playing for higher stakes, but I can't blame anybody for wanting to split and didn't press the issue. I just enter these things to get used to playing under pressure, so even if I lose I'd rather put more on the line to increase my emotional investment. But it's not a purely skillful game in the same way as say, a fighting game, so I understand people playing to percentages instead of having total, unreasonable confidence in themselves.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";142797079]Esper control is such a miserable matchup, and I'm not sure what else to bring in other than 4 thoughtseize and 4 mistcutters to shore up the match. Maybe just ignore it and hope to dodge them?

As far as my deck performance, I feel like Soul of Theros just isn't relevant in enough games. I think I only got to push the button once all night, and swapping him out to lower my mana curve might be worth consideration. Brimaz is at the top of my list.
[/QUOTE]

2 copies of Stain the Mind in the board helps. When you play control, name their wincon or whatever hurts you the most. It also is something that is really hard to play around, they don't know how many copies you have, and you get to inspect their entire deck. It's completely castable by turn 3 or 4 with the right ramp start.

Some candidates for replacing Soul of Theros (you're still running a whip strategy, right?) Copies replaced with Soul of Innistrad, Ajani Mentor of Heroes, Wingmate Roc, or possibly figure out if a Theros god works as a powerful enchantment in your deck. I know I kind of want to figure out Purphoros or Thassa in a Jeskai Ascendency deck. They won't turn on, but they each have very powerful effects if they come into the battlefield, anyway.

Its not a bad call, but I run a lot of dredge, and playing a two-of non-enchantment, non-creature card has historically been pretty underwhelming and I don't think I can justify the slots for more of that effect. I considered Terra Stomper because it beats counter magic and Elspeth, but it just seems so suspicious. I used Abzan Ascendancy for the past month or so, but it's one of those cards just like Resolute Archangel that is a little too reliant on timing for my tastes.

Angry Grimace

Already December? Fate Reforged spoilers not even that far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom