• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If it is determined that you did it intentionally, it will be. If you accidentally grabbed the wrong card and put it down and don't notice, no need to DQ you.

Okay, that's fine with me. Its better if judges have actual discretion to mete out appropriate punishment.

Maybe I missed it, did something happen with morphs at a tournament?

Basically, someone won a game with morph creatures face down and started putting them into his library without revealing them. His opponent called over a judge and the winner had to forfeit for not revealing his face down cards.

Ari made Day 2 at a recent GP when his opponent didn't reveal morphs after winning G3. And intentionally gloated about it.

The great thing about Twitter is that people can interpret what you say to sound just about however they want it to. He had one tweet, then got really defensive when people started attacking him for the incident. And there was a lot of misinformation being spread about his behavior at the table that simply wasn't true.

Regardless, the "Ari Lax Rule" will make the game a better place.

My read on Ari has bever been "scumbag." He's just a very smart player who wears his emotions and opinions on his sleeve and does not give even the smallest of fucks about your opinion of his behavior. So he naturally tends to rub the Magic community the wrong way.

Arksy

I feel like I need some practice, thanks for the tips guys. Really helps. How expensive is it to draft on MTG:O? Do they use the current set?

I feel like I need some practice, thanks for the tips guys. Really helps. How expensive is it to draft on MTG:O? Do they use the current set?

A Khans of Tarkir booster pack goes for $2.90 on the secondary market right now. That means that a draft will cost you about $11 if you buy packs from the bots. If you don't buy packs from bots, and just pay WotC directly, it costs a flat $14 to draft.

If you want to play MTGO, I highly recommend watching some videos to see how the interface looks, then play practice matches with the free decks for a while to figure out how to actually use the system. It's not intuitive, and you will lose games by mislicking when you first start out. It would be really frustrating to lose games in a draft that you paid real money to play.

kirblar

He's definitely not a scumbag. You do, however, need to be a dick in high-level play for your own protection. (Unless you are Reid Duke.)

OnPoint

Was able to score two Duel Decks Anthologies for $105 a piece today. One to play with, and one to sock away. It's a really nice product.

Arksy

A Khans of Tarkir booster pack goes for $2.90 on the secondary market right now. That means that a draft will cost you about $11 if you buy packs from the bots. If you don't buy packs from bots, and just pay WotC directly, it costs a flat $14 to draft.

If you want to play MTGO, I highly recommend watching some videos to see how the interface looks, then play practice matches with the free decks for a while to figure out how to actually use the system. It's not intuitive, and you will lose games by mislicking when you first start out. It would be really frustrating to lose games in a draft that you paid real money to play.

Oh dear. That's a bit pricey. Considering about $14 is starting to get close to $17 AUD I might as well just go to a LGS and do irregular drafts for $20 and keep the cards.

God damn, that's pricey. Thanks for the info..but for that price I might just do irregular drafts at my LGS for about the same price in AUD.

One thing to note is that, unlike at your LGS, you can take the packs that you win from the draft and use them to keep drafting. So future drafts tend to be cheaper. If you draft Swiss, you get one pack per match win (this is how you should draft when you're first starting out). So if you're consistently going 2-1 in a Swiss draft, you're paying $5 on average per draft. Plus, you can sell the cards that you open to the bots to get more tickets to continue to offset the cost.

It's possible, though incredibly unlikely, to win enough packs through drafting to never have to pay to draft (this is something only the best of the best can do). However, once you've gotten good enough, you can work your way to a pretty slow burn.

Arksy

One thing to note is that, unlike at your LGS, you can take the packs that you win from the draft and use them to keep drafting. So future drafts tend to be cheaper. If you draft Swiss, you get one pack per match win (this is how you should draft when you're first starting out). So if you're consistently going 2-1 in a Swiss draft, you're paying $5 on average per draft. Plus, you can sell the cards that you open to the bots to get more tickets to continue to offset the cost.

It's possible, though incredibly unlikely, to win enough packs through drafting to never have to pay to draft (this is something only the best of the best can do). However, once you've gotten good enough, you can work your way to a pretty slow burn.

Oh that's interesting. Hmm. I might take a closer look. I just really want to get some practice down.

Hey, MaRo responded to my regeneration suggestion
sigmasonicx asked: You've mentioned that regeneration lasting for a full turn causes confusion, so wouldn't a solution be to write out "Regenerate target craeture" as "If target creature would be destroyed this turn, it regenerates instead"? It also means that "regenerate" only has one meaning.

Regeneration has all sorts of issues.
And he responded with a non-answer, or at most one that suggests they intend to just replace regeneration. Plus, since I was in a hurry, I sent a version of the question with a typo and said "if" instead of "the next time".

Un-set question
sigmasonicx asked: A suggestion for the next Un-set brought up here before was to mix silver border and black border cards, but would that greatly increase the cost of printing it?

It raises some printing issues. What do you all think of the idea?
I do think it would be neat to see silly art versions of various cards, like Swiftfoot Boots being worn by an ooze, or Arrest depicting a squid being handcuffed. Those in the comments who were opposed expressed worry about silly art cards appearing in tournaments, but I would imagine that the money cards they'd reprint would be more multiplayer and cube staples. Plus, we can get silly but not too silly black border cards like:

Segovian Giant - R
Creature - Giant
A colossus in his own world, he suddenly found himself losing to a cat.
1/1

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hey, MaRo responded to my regeneration suggestion

And he responded with a non-answer, or at most one that suggests they intend to just replace regeneration. Plus, since I was in a hurry, I sent a version of the question with a typo and said "if" instead of "the next time".

Un-set question

I do think it would be neat to see silly art versions of various cards, like Swiftfoot Boots being worn by an ooze, or Arrest depicting a squid being handcuffed. Those in the comments who were opposed expressed worry about silly art cards appearing in tournaments, but I would imagine that the money cards they'd reprint would be more multiplayer and cube staples. Plus, we can get silly but not too silly black border cards like:

Segovian Giant - R
Creature - Giant
A colossus in his own world, he suddenly found himself losing to a cat.
1/1
Just call it a regeneration shield and have rule say it lasts until end of turn.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Funko Pop figures were a huge hit, I wrapped them up randomly and just gave them out and after some trading I know at least three people ended up with their "favorites". Got myself given some random packs, a rare binder, and some other stuff in return, I love my friends

Also the story stuff Wizards is doing is more successful then I would have expected. Narset getting stabbed was an actual point of conversation tonight; only one guy had actually read it but everyone commented in

Well, I think this makes it pretty clear that they're replacing regeneration. He wasn't so explicit about this before, I think.
ikatsui asked: Do you believe that the regeneration rules will ever be overhauled to make it more simple and intuitive?

That or we’ll replace it was something similar but simpler and more intuitive.

I've mentioned the problems with making it a death trigger are that you wouldn't want auras and such to be shed, and that you don't want to have it trigger death and enter the battlefield abilities. So perhaps something like:

Heal G - If this creature would die, if you aren't sacrificing it, remove all damage from it instead. Then, sacrifice this creature unless you pay G. (This and a few much older cards have the "if CARDNAME would die" wording)

This ability doesn't have the built in weakness of stopping it from attacking, but maybe they'd write it out in some cases and not include it in others that they want to be more competitive. Plus, maybe they'd be fine with sacrificed creatures being able to heal, thus removing that clause, and functionally giving heal a benefit over indestructibility.

Slightly Weaker Cudgel Troll - 2GG
Creature - Troll
Heal G (If this creature would die, if you aren't sacrificing it, remove all damage from it instead. Then, sacrifice this creature unless you pay G.)
When Weaker Cudgel Troll heals, tap it and remove it from combat.
4/3

Wonky Blocker - G
Creature - Badger
Heal 4GG
1/1

Rushing Kaiju - 5GGG
Creature - Beast
Trample
Heal G
10/10

Adamantium Rage - RG
Instant
Target creature has +3/+0, trample, and heal (0) until end of turn.

Angry Grimace

The rule I really wish they'd fix is the mulligan rule. The game is basically decided by whatever is in your opening hand.

Angry Grimace

what would constitute a "fix" in your mind exactly

I didn't say I was planning on fixing it; the answer to your question is "I dunno." I just know that if your opening hand sucks and has no land, you are very likely to lose the game.

Angry Grimace

There's no good way to change the mulligan rule without enabling some particular subset of combo decks in a way that's unhealthy.

Its a problem with the design of the game and the way land works, really. Variance is one thing, but it kind of sucks when you know you've lost the game before anything actually happens. Its not like I have a convenient solution - if I did it would probably already have been thought of. I just think its one of the biggest problems the game has. Its not like that kind of design issue isn't a problem in other games, but it still exists.

Believe it or not, it's actually good for the game that sometimes the better player loses. Games where the better player always wins are naturally less accessible and it's much harder to grow the player base. Magic's mana system is actually one of its strengths, not its weaknesses, and even if they wanted to it's completely impossible to overhaul it at this point.

Hearthstone was designed to avoid this particular aspect of randomness, if that's something that appeals to you. Each player always makes the equivalent of one land drop per turn, and you don't have to draw lands - you just get one more mana each turn than you did the turn before.

Angry Grimace

Believe it or not, it's actually good for the game that sometimes the better player loses. Games where the better player always wins are naturally less accessible and it's much harder to grow the player base. Magic's mana system is actually one of its strengths, not its weaknesses, and even if they wanted to it's completely impossible to overhaul it at this point.

Hearthstone was designed to avoid this particular aspect of randomness, if that's something that appeals to you. Each player always makes the equivalent of one land drop per turn, and you don't have to draw lands - you just get one more mana each turn than you did the turn before.

Sure, I understand that. Its just that a situation where you're at such an extreme disadvantage is a pretty big feel-bad and honestly, I don't know that I can really agree that it adds anything to the game beyond heavily front-loading whether variance is going to make you lose or not. I'm not suggesting every game ends up like that, because if they did, nobody would play the game. But even assuming your opening hands were exactly the same, there's still a significant amount of variance in MTG.

Lucario

Dickmann's 4 Dig Through Time Twin lists are amazing, I tried URw last night and it felt so good.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm thinking about taking apart affinity and trading towards twin now, I really want to play with Dig and Cruise while they're both still legal in Modern. Hopefully Dig survives the next ban.

The rule I really wish they'd fix is the mulligan rule. The game is basically decided by whatever is in your opening hand.

The history of the mulligan is pretty interesting: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr112b

The rule was accidentally changed to what it is now at a major tournament in Paris. It was much, much clunkier for a surprising amount of time.

I have absolutely no idea what would be an improvement to the current mulligan rule, but it's an interesting thought experiment. It definitely isn't perfect, but I can't think of anything better.

Angry Grimace

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm thinking about taking apart affinity and trading towards twin now, I really want to play with Dig and Cruise while they're both still legal in Modern. Hopefully Dig survives the next ban.

The history of the mulligan is pretty interesting: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr112b

The rule was accidentally changed to what it is now at a major tournament in Paris. It was much, much clunkier for a surprising amount of time.

I have absolutely no idea what would be an improvement to the current mulligan rule, but it's an interesting thought experiment. It definitely isn't perfect, but I can't think of anything better.

There was no mulligan rule when I started in '95. We had a school-wide rule, however, that you could mulligan a full-7 by revealing a hand with no lands or seven lands.

Dream crushed in back to back pptqs :( So close...

One was even won by a guy who literally copied my deck lol

:( :( :(

So drained after all that magic, both were around 60 players.

I didn't say I was planning on fixing it; the answer to your question is "I dunno." I just know that if your opening hand sucks and has no land, you are very likely to lose the game.

I didn't actually mean "what rule would you prefer," but more like "what way would you make it better." To me, the Paris mulligan is already pretty strong and almost every variant in use elsewhere (the Partial Paris, the One-Free-Plus-Paris) makes combo decks and janky-curve decks problematically strong.

In general, I think tournament stats suggest that mulling to 6 or even to 5 doesn't represent too huge a hit to a player's win percentage on average, so I think the primary solution to this kind of problem is just to print reasonable manabases.

This is the first time my brain actually hurts after playing magic. So many close, intense games. I missed a second land drop for four turns on a mulligan one game and won. I got triple rabbled another. One dude countered a turn 3 mandrills. Just lots of craziness each game and now I'm completely drained emotionally.

I've been playing magic for twelve hours straight after staying up testing past midnight and I haven't even eaten today. My brain is leaking out my ears.

I've been catching up on the SCG Invitational this morning.

Watching Sam Black play Jeskai Ascendancy in Legacy against a Storm deck has been gorgeous. Also, Wind Zendikon now Legacy playable. I love Magic.

Maledict

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";143210941]This is the first time my brain actually hurts after playing magic. So many close, intense games. I missed a second land drop for four turns on a mulligan one game and won. I got triple rabbled another. One dude countered a turn 3 mandrills. Just lots of craziness each game and now I'm completely drained emotionally.

I've been playing magic for twelve hours straight after staying up testing past midnight and I haven't even eaten today. My brain is leaking out my ears.[/QUOTE]

I used to do athletics at a fairly high level when I was younger, and even a full day of events doesn't come close to the sheer exhaustion you face after spending a day playing a CCG in a competition. Having to concentrate that long is incredibly tiring.

Jhriad

There was no mulligan rule when I started in '95. We had a school-wide rule, however, that you could mulligan a full-7 by revealing a hand with no lands or seven lands.

That's the same mulligan rule we used back in the '90s. You were only allowed one of those free mulligans before you had to start shrinking your hand for subsequent mulligans. You were also allowed to mulligan exactly like the current method if you wished but you didn't get a full hand following the first mulligan that way. We used it up until very recently in our rare casual games if only because we weren't aware of the new rule. I still think I prefer that mulligan method to the current method but that's probably because I played with that mulligan style for so long whereas I only started with the current mulligan when I picked Magic back up not that long ago.

At kitchen table Magic, we usually give one free, no-questions-asked, mulligan to 7, before following the normal rules. This is the mulligan rule that Duels of the Planeswalkers uses, and it's good for casual environments with decks of that caliber that aren't trying to do broken combo-things.

Well, I think this makes it pretty clear that they're replacing regeneration. He wasn't so explicit about this before, I think.

I've mentioned the problems with making it a death trigger are that you wouldn't want auras and such to be shed, and that you don't want to have it trigger death and enter the battlefield abilities. So perhaps something like:

Heal G - If this creature would die, if you aren't sacrificing it, remove all damage from it instead. Then, sacrifice this creature unless you pay G. (This and a few much older cards have the "if CARDNAME would die" wording)

This ability doesn't have the built in weakness of stopping it from attacking, but maybe they'd write it out in some cases and not include it in others that they want to be more competitive. Plus, maybe they'd be fine with sacrificed creatures being able to heal, thus removing that clause, and functionally giving heal a benefit over indestructibility.

I realized that a big problem with this is instants and abilities, at least in a way that doesn't simulate the existing "regeneration shield" that lasts for a full turn. Is there even a way to target a creature that would be destroyed without providing a duration for the effect?

There may be a solution to this problem, but it may be a bit drastic: introducing a step, the "dying step". When permanents are destroyed, before they go to the graveyard, a dying step is generated, during which those permanents are "dying". If multiple permanents are going to the graveyard at the same time, a single dying step is generated for them all. "If this creature would die" triggers will activate after this step ends. Like how only mana abilities can be used while a spell is being cast, the only spells and abilities that can be used during dying steps are mana sources and spells and abilities that reference dying permanents.

As a reminder, the reason I'm going through this effort instead of saying that "when this creature dies, pay X, return it to the battlefield" is fine, is that that would result in auras, counters, and equipment being shed, and both "dies" and "enters the battlefield" triggers being triggered, which doesn't fit the flavor of regeneration, and would make it impossible for green hydras to be "regeneration replacement'd".

Healing Hands - G
Instant
Heal target dying creature. (A creature is dying if it is about to be put into a graveyard from the battlefield. To heal a creature, if you aren't sacrificing it, remove all damage from it and it is no longer dying.)

Another Slightly Weaker Cudgel Troll - 2GG
Creature - Troll
Heal G (When this creature is dying, if you aren't sacrificing it, you may pay G. If you do, remove all damage from it and it is no longer dying.)
When Another Slightly Weaker Cudgel Troll is healed, tap it and remove it from combat.
4/3

You could even have stuff not related to healing.
Opportunistic Bite - B
Instant
You gain life equal to target dying creature's total power and toughness.

Any rules people that feel that this would cause more trouble than it's worth? Or that it wouldn't necessitate creating a new step to reference dying creatures?

Angry Grimace

I finally got tired of blowing my money throwing my random BUG Superfriends brews at people (c'mon Kiora, do some work) and went back to Abzan Midrange and immediately started blowing people up. Stupid Siege Rhino, you're too good.

I used to do athletics at a fairly high level when I was younger, and even a full day of events doesn't come close to the sheer exhaustion you face after spending a day playing a CCG in a competition. Having to concentrate that long is incredibly tiring.
Yeah usually I show up with a a pack of dried mangoes and some energy bars and something to drink and I'm perfectly fine after 10+ rounds. This time was pretty brutal on no food for 24 hours. Made some rough misplays that cost me 3 rounds I could have won between the two pptqs and I don't think I would have missed them if I was in top condition.

My greatest shame is missing a thoughtseize myself, whip back hornet queen for the win. Because of that I put myself in a position where my opponent could flip his Ashcloud Phoenix and force a tie.

Angry Grimace

Jeskai Ascendancy is doing a pretty great job of making every format miserable.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";143332951]Ehh, its not so bad in Standard.

Judge tower, though... *shudders*[/QUOTE]So did you just watch the same match I did? Or play it? Its insufferable and takes fucking forever. Its not Bazaar of Baghdad format-warping, but that's a pretty absurd threshold.

Between this and Cruise, Khans really messed up a lot of shit.

So did you just watch the same match I did? Or play it? Its insufferable and takes fucking forever. Its not Bazaar of Baghdad format-warping, but that's a pretty absurd threshold.

Between this and Cruise, Khans really messed up a lot of shit.
Oh I wasn't watching a stream at all. I have been playing against a lot of Jeskai tokens and combo the past week though.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";143334934]Oh I wasn't watching a stream at all. I have been playing against a lot of Jeskai tokens and combo the past week though.[/QUOTE]

I have too. I have a pretty good record against, it actually even considering I was playing my Johnny deck until it tanked my competitive record so badly I couldn't keep doing it. But ugh is it an obnoxious card to play against. Its one of those cards that does too many things for too little mana my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom