• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish there was a "Destroy each Locus" (all Loci?) card. 3 mana Sorcery? Or 3 mana Instant that has "If it's your turn, for each Locus destroyed, its controller takes 1 damage".

Or something :)

(I suppose there's From the Ashes which royally fucks the Locus play...)

OnPoint

Sword of War and Peace doesn't even do new stuff, it's just damage and lifegain again!

Eh I'm fine with it.

Now I want to imagine the on-color swords though. Damn you.

I'll just do one for now.

Code:
Sword of Truth and Justice (3)

Artifact - Equipment

Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and 
protection from white and blue.

Whenever equipped creature deals damage 
to an opponent, you may return target artifact
or enchantment in your graveyard to your hand,
and you may return target creature to its owner's 
hand.

Equip (2)

red13th

Back then I suggested War and Peace to be something like sacrifice a land and skips next combat phase, would be so OP but WAR (destroys stuff) and PEACE! Peace.

Eh I'm fine with it.

Now I want to imagine the on-color swords though. Damn you.

Let's have fun.

RG: Destroy target noncreature permanent, then put a land from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.
GW: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control, then exile target creature an opponent controls until equipped creature attacks again.
WU: Put a 1/1 Spirit token with flying onto the battlefield, then tap target permanent an opponent controls. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
UB: Draw two cards, then you and that player each discard a card.
BR: Return target creature with converted mana cost three or less from your graveyard to the battlefield under your control. It deals damage equal to its power to defending player and to a creature that player controls. That damage cannot be prevented.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still can't believe they didn't print Relentless Assault as a Mardu card.

The story of Sarkhan meeting Narset, then going to Ugin's Nexus, Zurgo attacking both of them, and Sarkhan heading through a gateway that appears. I was annoyed by Narset being able to easily befriend Sarkhan and then handle fighting Zurgo easily, but then Zurgo was able to badly wound her. So, two of the khans are likely to follow Sarkhan to the past, which makes it seem likely that the other khans will follow.

Didn't see this yesterday, since the website was down. The new design does look better.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I saw that yesterday and laughed at this part:

"He looked back at the crest where Narset and Zurgo struggled. She seemed to catch his eye, even smile, as her graceful staff swung in a killing arc. Zurgo was outmatched. Sarkhan could see it.

But then the powerful orc moved with unexpected agility, dodging the staff's swing. He lashed out with his sword. A gush of blood."

Basically, they fight. Zurgo's all, "eat 7 power!", and she's like "haha I have first strike and you only got 2 toughness," and then Zurgo's all "its my turn so I'm indestructible."

kirblar

The story of Sarkhan meeting Narset, then going to Ugin's Nexus, Zurgo attacking both of them, and Sarkhan heading through a gateway that appears. I was annoyed by Narset being able to easily befriend Sarkhan and then handle fighting Zurgo easily, but then Zurgo was able to badly wound her. So, two of the khans are likely to follow Sarkhan to the past, which makes it seem likely that the other khans will follow.

Didn't see this yesterday, since the website was down. The new design does look better.
I think you have a slight misinterpretation here:
Narset's dead, but we're likely getting PW Narset when we go back to the future.

Angry Grimace

I think you have a slight misinterpretation here:
Narset's dead, but we're likely getting PW Narset when we go back to the future.

Or Narset's spark flares here and she leaves Tarkir and returns to it when time has changed.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Aw yis, my Christmas gifts for my playgroup are here:
ead5GiR.jpg

Angry Grimace

Goddamn I am on some kind of fucking insane losing streak. I think of my last 10 mixed Standard, Vintage and Modern events on MODO I'm 1-9.

It doesn't help that every single deck is the same deck - the last 5 Standard games: Jeskai Tokens, Jeskai Tokens, Jeskai Tokens, Jeskai Tokens, Jeskai Tokens.

Granted, most of those standard game was playing my whatever BUG brew with Ashiok and Kiora, which matches up like shit against Tokens. Switching to Abzan Rhinos is a much better option, but certainly less fun.

ElyrionX

She fell over bleeding after being cut by Zurgo. In comics, and any medium really, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Which is why I specifically said "badly wounded".

Yeah I just read it. She's probably still hanging there. I'm only concerned because I primarily play Jeskai colors across all formats and I definitely want to see her hang around. Can't wait for that sweet Narset PW card.

They also forgot to tell them Gideon is white

Actually, it seems they forgot to tell the artists who painted him that he's not!.

Q: Re: the new Funko figures - Gideon's a little dark, isn't he? I mean, he's always had lighter skin than that in artwork before. Are they not the final designs, or what?

We were trying to get Gideon closer to his original intended ethnicity, which includes a bit more melanin than he’s had in past illustrations (he was never intended to be a straight-up white guy). He was supposed to have some Mediterranean influence blended with hints of other influences, and that feedback led to the skin color of the vinyl. Gideon’s ethnicity includes more details than just skin color, but Funko vinyls are pretty stylized, so that’s kind of all that came across. :)

(http://dougbeyermtg.tumblr.com/search/Gideon)

Matriox

So I've found a couple of free month Scg premium cards, if anyone wants one send me a pm, got about 3 left.

Edit: They're like a year old, I hope they don't expire? Lol.

allgone!

EDIT again: found another one, so 1 left.

Arksy

Hey guys, looking for some help.

Tonight I did spectacularly badly in FNM, with 0-2, 2-1, 0-2 wins/losses.

Could someone tell me where I went wrong deck wise? I felt like by the time I got something out I was on <12 life and couldn't stop any of the onslaughts. I was trying to go for a control/denial deck with lots of counters and instants but I felt like I never got to play anything.

Here's my list, be as savage as you want. I have no idea what I'm doing, this is my 5th draft and I still feel lost about how to put decks together.

gerg

I mean... he's a straight up white guy on several pieces of art across a couple of years of sets. Maybe he was supposed to be Mediterranean but I feel like the ship sailed on that, and a Funko figure is the last place they should start correcting that.

Why not? It sounds as good a place as any to me.

I'm inexperienced with Jeskai in general, but the way you presented your deck made me think of some general advice.

Whenever you'e laying out a deck, especially for yourself, arrange it by the card's mana cost. If it has more than one (morphs), put it at the one you're most likely to use (so morphs go in the 3 slot almost every time).

Once you do that, you can separate creatures from noncreatures, but preserve the mana cost separation. It's very important to have a good curve with not too many 3 drops. You want a decent amount of 2's.

I also think your land base is pretty weak. 7 red sources and 6 blue is anemic for your two main colors. Maybe draft fixing higher? You want at least 8 sources of each main color, IMO. 9 is better if you can swing it.

Other people can talk about specific card choices (though I've heard that Crippling Chill is supposed to be really good in this archetype and it's in your sideboard, and also Siegecraft doesn't look worth splashing to me. Also Firehoof Cavalry is a very weak card even when white is a main color, and it is definitely NOT worth splashing).

Edit: Found some more. Mardu Blazebribger is awful. Swift Kick is bad in here because most of your guys have low toughness.

Ride Down is a fantastic card (worth splashing) and Singing Bell Strike is main deck-able. Play those instead of the Kicks.

Could someone tell me where I went wrong deck wise? I felt like by the time I got something out I was on <12 life and couldn't stop any of the onslaughts. I was trying to go for a control/denial deck with lots of counters and instants but I felt like I never got to play anything.

Here's my list, be as savage as you want. I have no idea what I'm doing, this is my 5th draft and I still feel lost about how to put decks together.

1. Control is a bad thing to try to force in drafts. You simple aren't going to get enough control spells.
2. Your deck is generally on the expensive side.
3. A lot of your spells depend on creatures, particularly Swift Kick, yet you don't have many creatures worth using them on.

Control in draft isn't like control in constructed. It relies on a lot on early defensive speed, not counterspells. Control in Khans is generally Abzan flavored, with Parapets and Ancestors.

Crocodile

1. Card Quality is low. You're running a lot of bad to mediocre cards. I don't know if the packs were weak or you fudged up the draft or got cut hard or what but the card pool here is :(
  2. Threat density is low and gameplan seems weak. As far as I can tell, your game plan is Play Whirlwind Adept > ?????? > Profit! The adepts lack support and you need the rest of your deck to actually do stuff.
  3. How was the fixing within the draft proper? I feel your deck could use more Re/Blue sources and less White sources but that is of course tricky if you have few to no multilands
  4. 16 lands in Khans draft? With that curve? Yeah.........no
  5. Your ability to interact with your opponent is limited and cost prohibitive. Arrow Storm and Burn Away are fine card but expensive and thus clunky. Swift Kick is weak in general and you only have 12 mostly mediocre dudes. You have no way to build a board presence in the early game (important int limited as you usually don't have sweepers to help you out like in Cube or Constructed).

Arksy

Thanks for the advice everyone. There's a lot of good stuff in there. I have a few questions though..

How much mana should I be using? When you say no to 16 do you mean that it's too low? Should I be using like 18?

It's hard for me to tell what cards are worth, it's not really intuitive on the face of it. People are saying that my cards are rubbish, which is fair. I'm not entirely sure how I should be drafting though.

I don't really know what my game plan was, I thought that barrage of boulders would be good with cards that were high power/low toughness with counters for any big combos that people brought out. I guess that I didn't really take into account the mana cost for this strategy.

Maybe I should just draft Abzan like everyone else or something. I just wanted to play some blue. :(

Thanks for the advice everyone. There's a lot of good stuff in there. I have a few questions though..

How much mana should I be using? When you say no to 16 do you mean that it's too low? Should I be using like 18?

It's hard for me to tell what cards are worth, it's not really intuitive on the face of it. People are saying that my cards are rubbish, which is fair. I'm not entirely sure how I should be drafting though.

I don't really know what my game plan was, I thought that barrage of boulders would be good with cards that were high power/low toughness with counters for any big combos that people brought out. I guess that I didn't really take into account the mana cost for this strategy.

Maybe I should just draft Abzan like everyone else or something. I just wanted to play some blue. :(

It's really easy to get caught up in people trying to throw all sorts of little bits of draft advice at you and get overwhelmed. I suggest that the first thing you do is focus on your ability to do card evaluation "in a vacuum." You are playing a bunch of cards that we would tend to call "unplayable," but I don't fault you for not understanding why we say that.

I was going to make you listen to a bunch of archives of the Limited Resources podcast, but that would take a really long time! Instead, I'll point you to a number of Marshall's articles on the mothership; it's a lot of similar information, in a more quickly digestible form.

Let's start with the single most important tool in the toolbelt of any drafter: The Vanilla Test
http://archive.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptrtr12/video15

From there:
Setup Cost: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/li/291

The Value of a Card: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/limited-information/value-card-2013-06-24

The Definition of a Bomb: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/limited-information/definition-bomb-2013-06-11

Quadrant Theory: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/li/quadrant-theory-2014-08-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom