• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I like how modal is used in this set to show how the choices the characters make change what the present(future) looks like.

Can't wait to see more. Hopefully Ugin is awesome.

Yeah, using "modal spells" as a theme in a small set about changing the past is kind of awesome

I have everything to make the new #TeamGeist deck other than Vendillion Cliques. I just hate to pay that much for them.

I also forgot that I have another Modern deck, Storm. Though to be honest I have yet to play it.

I didn't mention UR Delver because I didn't want kicked in the nuts.

Travis Woo's Ninja Bear Delver deck is another that I threw together.

Brew I've been tossing around in my head:

Rakdos Burn

Creatures(17):
  • 4 Monastery Swiftspear
  • 4 Blood-soaked Champion
  • 4 Tymaret, the Murder King
  • 4 Mardu Skullhunter
  • 1 Purphoros, God of the Forge

Spells(22):
  • 4 Thoughtseize
  • 4 Lightning Strike
  • 4 Hordeling Outburst
  • 4 Stoke the Flames
  • 2 Murderous Cut
  • 4 Stain the Mind

Land(21):
  • 3 Mana Confluence
  • 4 Bloodstained Mire
  • 3 Temple of Malice
  • 5 Swamp
  • 5 Mountain
  • 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Sideboard(15):
  • 4 Ashcloud Phoenix
  • 2 Erebos, God of the Dead
  • 4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
  • 2 Chandra, Pyromaster
  • 3 Dark Betrayal

I dunno, I feel like I'm missing some sort of degeneracy here. Tymaret + BSC + Purphoros is kinda cute though. Maybe a little more graveyard synergy and Tormenting Voice? Troll it up with a Grim Haruspex engine?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I have everything to make the new #TeamGeist deck other than Vendillion Cliques. I just hate to pay that much for them.

I also forgot that I have another Modern deck, Storm. Though to be honest I have yet to play it.

I didn't mention UR Delver because I didn't want kicked in the nuts.

Travis Woo's Ninja Bear Delver deck is another that I threw together.

I feel like there is almost zero percent chance that Cliques aren't in MMA2. I'm waiting on nabbing those, too.

Kinda random.. but the Ask a Magic Judge Room IRC seems to be down, so I thought I'd bug you guys.

If I have Dead-Iron Sledge attached to face-down a Zoetic Cavern and I unmorph it with the Dead-Iron Sledge trigger on the stack (blocking or being blocked), does Zoetic Cavern get destroyed?

Dead-Iron Sledge (1)
Artifact - Equipment
Whenever equipped creature blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, destroy both creatures.
Equip (2)

Zoetic Cavern (0)
Land
Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool.
Morph (2)

Kinda random.. but the Ask a Magic Judge Room IRC seems to be down, so I thought I'd bug you guys.

If I have Dead-Iron Sledge attached to face-down a Zoetic Cavern and I unmorph it with the Dead-Iron Sledge trigger on the stack (blocking or being blocked), does Zoetic Cavern get destroyed?

Yeah. When a card gets referenced by card type ("that creature"), changing the card's type doesn't stop the effect from affecting it.

OnPoint

The streaming community has all but abandoned MTGO (I was trying to find matches to watch last night, like no one was one worth watching), Hearthstone is going to make its way to phones, especially now that they're on Android.

Do they even care that someone is coming to scoop up the market they're ignoring?

WanderingWind

The streaming community has all but abandoned MTGO (I was trying to find matches to watch last night, like no one was one worth watching), Hearthstone is going to make its way to phones, especially now that they're on Android.

Do they even care that someone is coming to scoop up the market they're ignoring?

It's basically Kenji, Cheon and ScottyMac left. MJ pretty much quit, Hoogland streams way less and CFB's video production has gone waaaaaaaaaay down.

Kenji doesn't even double queue anymore. He streams Hearthstone while waiting for MTGO matches.

If Leagues take off, they could help alleviate the downtime problem. No more waiting for other rounds to finish before jumping into the next match.

Huh. How does that work without fast mana, mana denial and stoneforge mystics? I am kind of intrigued in going as the fun police in modern.

It works pretty good.

4 edges+quarters work for mana denial.

I went for the deck since it doesn't need fetches and my BW tokens deck wasn't doing super well.

Flicker/Resto Blade spicer abusal, leonin arbiter + judges familiar + thalia makes things pretty annoying for the opponent.

There is a huuuuuge primer on mtgsalvation for it.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/established-modern/562814-wx-death-and-taxes

It's basically Kenji, Cheon and ScottyMac left. MJ pretty much quit, Hoogland streams way less and CFB's video production has gone waaaaaaaaaay down.
I used to watch CFB draft videos all the time, too. Now I don't because there aren't as many videos and the ones that are uploaded I feel like are worse players than me and I don't gain as much from watching people lose.

I mean, Paul Cheon is awesome and I watch his podcasts with Mashi, but man he might be the worst Jeskai tokens player I've seen. How do you discard the win, man?

LSV, Owen and Jensen are all great but only LSV puts up a bunch of playlists of the three. I like SCGs video content, but fuck paying for it even if Brad Nelson is the best Standard player right now.

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";143730259]I used to watch CFB draft videos all the time, too. Now I don't because there aren't as many videos and the ones that are uploaded I feel like are worse players than me and I don't gain as much from watching people lose.

I mean, Paul Cheon is awesome and I watch his podcasts with Mashi, but man he might be the worst Jeskai tokens player I've seen. How do you discard the win, man?

LSV, Owen and Jensen are all great but only LSV puts up a bunch of playlists of the three. I like SCGs video content, but fuck paying for it even if Brad Nelson is the best Standard player right now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the day I pay to watch somebody play MTGO is the day somebody needs to send me to a MtG intervention. I mean, I sub to Kenji's stream but...

Shit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't wait until they reprint Cryptic Command in the next set.

Quiet, you, I can dream.

kirblar

Matt Sperling ‏@mtg_law_etc 9m9 minutes ago

Was thinking "Why don't I care about this SCG players champ?" and then recalled I've never watched minor league championships of any kind.

tumblr_mlkvtrGZDD1qc8qobo1_500.gif

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";143733310]As part of your intervention, I'm going to buy your cards so you can resist temptation.[/QUOTE]

I haven't even touched non-cube cards in weeks. :(

kirblar

Here is my flowchart for caring about MTG events:

Am I playing in it? If Yes, I Care! If No, go to next question:

Are my friends playing in it? If Yes, I Care, if No, who gives a shit.

WanderingWind

I put on streams in the background when I'm either puttering about the house or surfing. They also make for excellent sleep aids. But I do enjoy Scotty and Kenji's streams. They engage the community and aren't massive wankers like MJ so they're sort of entertaining.

But as for treating the championship as a real thing...lol no. Who gives two shits? "Hey some dude who you've maybe heard of won a tournament somewhere."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I mean, I don't "care" about them, but they're fun to watch. I'm not sure I quite understand the difference between the SCG things and the "real" MTG events.

kirblar

SCG's big mistake is thinking people care about teams/players like it's the NBA/Sportscenter. It's like poker, not a team sport.

And to be clear- this is happening because sports fanboys are running the program.

bigkrev

SCG's big mistake is thinking people care about teams/players like it's the NBA/Sportscenter. It's like poker, not a team sport.

And to be clear- this is happening because sports fanboys are running the program.

Wizards only really does this for the World Championships- and each year, they also had a gimmick format (Cube, Vintage Masters) that was only going to happen at the event to make it feel special.

The World Magic Cup is all about countries, there change to PTs from being "PT Austin" to being "PT Theros" changes the branding of the Pro Tour to the cards and not the location/event/players. It's all smart stuff.

I mean, I don't "care" about them, but they're fun to watch. I'm not sure I quite understand the difference between the SCG things and the "real" MTG events.

They were really Mickey Mouse when they first started, but a lot of people watched because streaming was something reserved only for the Pro Tour at the time. You would have champions getting banned all the time for cheating, people playing on camera fucking up obvious things, ect.

kirblar

And the players involved in the WMC are all super-high profile. That's not the case for the SCG championship. Because of the variance involved in MTG/Poker, you cannot count on the same people being there year after year. That's why you focus on the game, not the "pros".

bigkrev

And the players involved in the WMC are all super-high profile. That's not the case for the SCG championship. Because of the variance involved in MTG/Poker, you cannot count on the same people being there year after year. That's why you focus on the game, not the "pros".

That too. I just checked- I only recognize 4/16 players in the tournament, mostly from actual PT viewing.

I'm pretty new to magic and I enjoy watching SCG events far more than anything on the pro tour. Part of it is the presentation. The show that Wizards puts on is abismal, boring, and filled with people that don't know how to put on a show. At least with SCG and their sports fanboys, they can at least ape broadcasts that know where and what action to put on screen. Sullivan and Phillips have good chemistry and I don't find myself drifting off mid-game like I do when pro tour commentators are on. I don't care about players themselves so much as the decks and find I treat a deck archetype like a sports fan might treat their local team, so an emphasis like that would be preferable.

This is a perspective from someone that has no history with the games, players, or organizations that extend any further than 18 months back or so. If given the choice, 99 times out of 100, I'd rather stream SCG live and then catch the youtube highlights of a pro tour, worlds, or any team-Wizards event.

OnPoint

I'm pretty new to magic and I enjoy watching SCG events far more than anything on the pro tour. Part of it is the presentation. The show that Wizards puts on is abismal, boring, and filled with people that don't know how to put on a show. At least with SCG and their sports fanboys, they can at least ape broadcasts that know where and what action to put on screen. Sullivan and Phillips have good chemistry and I don't find myself drifting off mid-game like I do when pro tour commentators are on. I don't care about players themselves so much as the decks and find I treat a deck archetype like a sports fan might treat their local team, so an emphasis like that would be preferable.

This is a perspective from someone that has no history with the games, players, or organizations that extend any further than 18 months back or so. If given the choice, 99 times out of 100, I'd rather stream SCG live and then catch the youtube highlights of a pro tour, worlds, or any team-Wizards event.

No you've pretty much nailed it.

kirblar

Is Solforge dead/dying btw? I remembered that game existed last night, and Kibler streaming HS so much seems a bit awkward given that its a direct competitor.

Angry Grimace

I don't "get" Americans who get into Euro soccer.

Gotta have something to watch on Saturday if you don't care about College Football.

Is Solforge dead/dying btw? I remembered that game existed last night, and Kibler streaming HS so much seems a bit awkward given that its a direct competitor.

My guess is Kibler makes a lot more money from getting viewers on his stream than he does by his super niche game. Streaming HS is a weird thing for me - its an entirely online game so its competing with playing HS.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Seems like it just one year too late to release.

If it had a head start, it might've built up a dedicated following but that's impossible now.

On the other hand I just got my key for Stonehearth's Ascension beta so that'll be a good time waster.

I watch SCG's Legacy Invitational rounds and Open Top 8s because I really enjoy watching Legacy. I watch Standard when I'm bored or if the meta is interesting (I rarely watched RTR-THS standard).

And I like Cedric and Patrick. Matthias is tolerable.

Firemind

yesssss kill by tendrils

one pack had sol ring, mox sapphire and emrakul

i love holiday cube

of course no one picks the bazaar of baghdad and time vault lol

Angry Grimace

yesssss kill by tendrils

one pack had sol ring, mox sapphire and emrakul

i love holiday cube

of course no one picks the bazaar of baghdad and time vault lol

Time Vault is the card you pick for combo christmas.

Time Vault is the card you pick for combo christmas.

As far as I can tell, there are only two ways to untap it in the cube. One of them tutors for it too. So you have that going for you. I don't think I would ever pass it, to be honest. Any cube deck can spew one speculative pick, and the upside is soooo high.

Angry Grimace

As far as I can tell, there are only two ways to untap it in the cube. One of them tutors for it too. So you have that going for you. I don't think I would ever pass it, to be honest. Any cube deck can spew one speculative pick, and the upside is soooo high.

Is Tezzeret in the Cube?

kirblar

Is the Stephen Mann list from the Seattle a pretty good one for Abzanimator? (I don't trust in the Mandrills, unfortunately.)

red13th

I watch SCG's Legacy Invitational rounds and Open Top 8s because I really enjoy watching Legacy. I watch Standard when I'm bored or if the meta is interesting (I rarely watched RTR-THS standard).

And I like Cedric and Patrick. Matthias is tolerable.

I like Cedric and hate Patrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom