• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should just play Infect if that's what you want. Same idea; only need to hit for 10 instead of 20. :)

That would mean Grafted Exoskeletons or some other creature with infect, but they don't have the abilities that Silhana/Treetop/Lone Wolf/Thorn have to be able to have a high chance of getting through to the target. Basically making my deck a longer play deck that it should be.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Meh, this deck is more about speed than it is about devotion.

Turn 1 - Drop land, play Llanowar.
Turn 2 - Drop land, play Silhana and Rancor on it.
Turn 3 - Drop land, play Blanchwood Armor & Groundswell. Swing for 10.
Turn 4 - Drop land/play Might of Oaks, swing for 10+, done.

That would be an ideal 4 turn kill.

Have fun in Magical Christmasland, good sir.

Have fun in Magical Christmasland, good sir.

You make it sound like it's impossible lol.

And wow, I forgot about that card lol.

I had two big reason for stopping Magic in the past. Cost and the fucking Mirrodin block. Played from Odyssey block to about Kamigawa then nope.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That would mean Grafted Exoskeletons or some other creature with infect, but they don't have the abilities that Silhana/Treetop/Lone Wolf/Thorn have to be able to have a high chance of getting through to the target. Basically making my deck a longer play deck that it should be.

Infect often wins on turn 2 or 3. In fact, if you haven't won by then, you're probably going to lose. And it's not magical Christmasland.dec like that other one.

But you shouldn't play it. Nobody should. Because then you'll start skewing the meta and people will board for it and I'll be fucked.

Infect often wins on turn 2 or 3. In fact, if you haven't won by then, you're probably going to lose. And it's not magical Christmasland.dec like that other one.

But you shouldn't play it. Nobody should. Because then you'll start skewing the meta and people will board for it and I'll be fucked.

Found that $5 infect deck... that's retardedly broken. Just wow... But you'd basically need to have an almost perfect hand.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/5-infect/

Switch Vines of Vastwood with Invigorate and holy balls...

Turn 1 - Land, Glistener Elf.
Turn 2 - Land, Rancor, Groundswell, Invigorate. Done (if they don't have a creature).

WanderingWind

Found that $5 infect deck... that's retardedly broken. Just wow... But you'd basically need to have an almost perfect hand.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/5-infect/

Switch Vines of Vastwood with Invigorate and holy balls...

Turn 1 - Land, Glistener Elf.
Turn 2 - Land, Rancor, Groundswell, Invigorate. Done (if they don't have a creature).

Yeah, the deck is turrible. You should play UW control instead. Without Spellskites.

Yeah, the deck is turrible. You should play UW control instead. Without Spellskites.

I had to look it up (not up to snuff with a lot of newer cards). But honestly... I'm only doing these decks for fun, so that cheap infect deck would be fun and probably piss off everyone I know lol.

MjFrancis

Meh, this deck is more about speed than it is about devotion.

Turn 1 - Drop land, play Llanowar.
Turn 2 - Drop land, play Silhana and Rancor on it.
Turn 3 - Drop land, play Blanchwood Armor & Groundswell. Swing for 10.
Turn 4 - Drop land/play Might of Oaks, swing for 10+, done.

That would be an ideal 4 turn kill.
There's a mono-green stompy deck in Modern I use that is a "devotion" deck but purely for Aspect of Hydra. It does what Might of Oaks does (more or less) for one-mana.

Here's the list I've stuck with:

http://www.mtgvault.com/francis/decks/monogreen-modern/

Same idea with a lot of shared cards but geared for Modern tournaments. Its wins T4 fairly often. I just goldfished:

T1: Experiment 1
T2: Dryad Militant, Rancor (4 power attacking)
T3: Leatherback Baloth (6 power attacking)
T4: Aspect of Hydra (16 power attacking)

The T4 Aspect is just cast on whoever wasn't blocked, or on the Rancor'd Experiment 1. The deck is all sorts of fun like that.

WanderingWind

Alright, so we know God's Beard #TeamBogles I'm #InfectYourWorld

What modern decks do the rest of y'all nerds play? First person to say delver had to eat a foil Tibalt.

OnPoint

The only Modern deck I built is a Polymorph/Tokens deck. It's super fun to pilot. I have yet to play it competitively, but I think I'm going to really soon.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

What modern decks do the rest of y'all nerds play? First person to say delver had to eat a foil Tibalt.

I've got a Melira Pod deck that I've been slowly working on for the past year. Also, Soul Sisters, and an Aristocrats deck that's a ton of fun to play.

ultron87

I've got Affinity and a modified Tokens deck from the event deck. Affinity doesn't seem that great these days (though I still need to try out the Chalice of the Void version) so I should build something new. Which works out since I was waiting on Fetches to make anything else anyway.

I'll probably end up putting together the Jeskai staples to try one of those decks since that can play with a lot of different game plans.

Firemind

I have a mono red skred deck and I can probably build a modern version of pyromancer's ascension if I wanted to. Still have four lying around somewhere.

MjFrancis

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah man, I'm really glad they're over. That deck's dominance singlehandedly got me to bow out of standard play during that season, and I haven't jumped back in yet.

Everyone missed the pun. You know, dark times. Double mono-black decks?

I have a lot of Modern decks, it is sort of an addiction. But I mostly play UWR Twin.

I also have Birthing Pod, Living End, Soul Sisters, Norin the weary Modern deck, Jund minus real Tarmogoyfs, 8 Rack, Infect and nearly everything to build Affinity.

At this point I think I'm just waiting on a new injection of cards for standard. I've got a RB aggro/resource denial brew coming along, but it feels like its missing a few pieces.

kirblar

Accidental WotC spoiler for FRF- looks like spoilers start on Xmas.

B5AyBMjCUAEVHq4.png

Well, I'm happy with that. It can go in a deck.

I'm hoping this is part of a little cycle. Two-mode instants that are useful in opposing ways.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"Choose one," the greatest words on an instant ever.

ultron87

Fun. That kills a lot of relevant stuff.

A cycle of "alternate future" cards that do two opposite things would be cool. Though I'm not sure the other colors could even pull that off.

Angry Grimace

Fun. That kills a lot of relevant stuff.

A cycle of "alternate future" cards that do two opposite things would be cool. Though I'm not sure the other colors could even pull that off.

A lot of relevant stuff that isn't Stormbreath Dragon =V

The only thing that could make that card better for an Abzan deck is if it exiled instead of destroying.

And with the black wrath being modal, yep. Cycle.

Blue could be tapfrost & scry1/draw1

Red could be shatter & exile-to-play

Green could be fight & explore

Angry Grimace

U/W Heroic might like being able to choose between blowing up Siege Rhinos or enabling Heroic with an invincibility clause. At least as a sideboard option.

I'm playing Four Swords Adventures. It's a Bant aggro deck with Geist of Saint Traft, Lotus Cobra, Knight of the Reliquary and... swords. Is it good? Not terribly. Hella fun though and it checks the boxes of having a T4 kill in modern and being Phelddagrif colors. =D

Angry Grimace

And Yasova's ability can be paid using either red or blue. It's pretty obvious that binary choices are going to be a major theme of the set.

Seems like hybrid mana is going to be used to avoid full-on wedges while still giving you an incentive to play wedge cards.

Hero

I like how modal is used in this set to show how the choices the characters make change what the present(future) looks like.

Can't wait to see more. Hopefully Ugin is awesome.

Angry Grimace

FYI: Log into your MTGO account today - get 16 phantom points applicable towards the Holiday Cube releasing tomorrow. You have to log in today to get it.

OnPoint

Hmm, is it possible that Dragons of Tarkir will have a way to apply entwine to other spells?
... Probably not.
Why not? Make it like Fork.

Diverted Reflection (U)(R)

Instant

Copy target instant or sorcery. If that spell asks the caster to choose a mode, select one that isn't already on the stack. You may choose new targets.

ElyrionX

Rocking Jeskai Midrange with a playset of Geist. Started with the teamgeist list but I have tweaked it heavily since. I have not been playing much Modern anyway. Been pretty obssessed with EDH in the past few weeks.

Khans is a badass set (getting a bit long in the tooth) but better than Zendikar? I wasn't really around for those days, but isn't Zendikar one of the most beloved sets of all time? Or is that just cause of Emrakul?

I saw a partial poll on this once, although I can't track it down. If you break it down, there's really about five categories for blocks: sublime (Ravnica and Innistrad), good (Invasion, Mirrodin), middling (Alara, Shadowmoor, Theros), marginal (Lorwyn, Odyssey), and bad (Masques, Kamigawa.)

Zendikar is probably pretty firmly in the "good" category; had a bunch of popular strong cards, did some interesting stuff in Standard, and has a bunch of cards that are cross-format staples years later, plus had popular gimmicks like the full-art lands and the "Hidden Treasures." (The big downside is that ZZZ was a seriously mediocre draft environment.)

Given the reaction to date, Khans is probably hovering somewhere between good and sublime. It met a popular fan request, it's driving a Standard environment that people are super happy with after suffering through Theros, it's got a ton of useful and interesting cards that are usable across multiple formats, and it's considered to be quite high on the list of all-time draft formats. Add the fetchlands and it could definitely hit the top category in a few years.

For as much as I hate watching Siege Rhino games, I love watching Whip of Erebos games. I love that card so much; it's by far my favorite thing to come from Theros block.

I stayed up until like four AM watching the Magic World Cup finals and I loved watching the Whip matches -- so much weird, complicated stuff could happen and there were so many interesting shifts in board control. (It helped to have someone as good as Turtenwald playing in the matches, too.)

And with the black wrath being modal, yep. Cycle.

Two cycles or a broader set theme, even; the black wrath is a rare and this is uncommon.

Hmm, is it possible that Dragons of Tarkir will have a way to apply entwine to other spells?
... Probably not.

A legendary artifact that does this is a card design they've probably had sitting in their back pocket for years. If they're ever gonna do it, this would probably be the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom