• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Guy in a Standard 2 man on MODO playing Mindreaver. In Constructed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";143358835]I have a signed playset for when the mono-U wave comes crashing back.[/QUOTE]

Its never happening. Mindreaver is worse than Grizzly Bears because its ability is worth less than the 1 point of toughness.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";143360620]Its ability is worth a 0/1 elemental token. That said, the dude that lets you scry 2 is probably better anyway lol[/QUOTE]

1/0.

Master of Waves is never coming back. Unless you like Modern Merfolk.

Angry Grimace

Dude playing U/B straight control with Pearl Lake as the wincon. Game 3 I Thoughtseize him, remove his only Dissolve and then Stain the Mind naming Pearl Lake, and remove both copies from his deck. He just keeps playing for like two turns until I message him "Do you have any other win conditions in your deck?" (I already knew the answer since I had to search the deck for the Ancients). Silence for about 2 minutes and then he concedes without a word.
KuGsj.gif

You can't land an instant win Stain every game. But when it happens? It is fucking sweet.

Speaking of thoughtseize, I think I'm gonna try and mainboard them. With mono red dying out to UW Heroic and Jeskai tokens being the new aggro hotness, it's much less likely to be punished for playing the card. It seems like I'm bringing it in in most matches anyway, which is generally the sign to look out for.

Probably gonna drop the Wingmate Rocs and a pair of communes and see how that turns out. Only problem is I dunno what to sideboard in the opened slots lol

f0rk

What deck list did you try?

I tried the Tarmogoyf version yesterday (slightly tweaked for local meta) and didn't do as well but mainly because of a random loss to Living End in round 1 where I didn't draw anything relevant. Unfortunately because it was a smallish tournament I drew against UWR Ascendancy next round and then couldn't make the top 4 cut. Confident I would have been favored against the players that got easy round 1s / byes.

You get to see so many cards with this set up it's ridiculous.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";143367520]Speaking of thoughtseize, I think I'm gonna try and mainboard them. With mono red dying out to UW Heroic and Jeskai tokens being the new aggro hotness, it's much less likely to be punished for playing the card. It seems like I'm bringing it in in most matches anyway, which is generally the sign to look out for.

Probably gonna drop the Wingmate Rocs and a pair of communes and see how that turns out. Only problem is I dunno what to sideboard in the opened slots lol[/QUOTE]

I was a big champion for Wingmate but it's always ended up a mediocre card that I wished was more Siege Rhinos.

Mostly because the removal heavy decks the freebird is good for, the opponent doesn't let you get in enough attacks to reliably hit the raid trigger.

Yeah I side out Wingmate a ton when I expect a more controlling game plan.
I'm just sad at how mediocre the souls have turned out for me.Wingmate is definitely better, and a Wingmate/Doomwake split at the 5 slot has been pretty solid.

But it's time to adjust again now that everybody knows that Abzan Reanimator is a good deck and I don't get free wins like at SCG Oakland.

I've also been screwing around with the red and blue splashes but nothing super convincing has come up other than Butcher and Sultai Charm.

Basically, if you're not in UR in modern, you're not serious.

Rainbow Bogles is technically UR! Also, I've replaced hyena umbras with Mortal Obstinacy in the main board to clear up sideboard slots without diluting the deck. Feels pretty good so far.

Angry Grimace

I like landing AEtherspouts way more than landing End Hostilities, but I think its big weakeness is that its a card that only works like once per player since once aware of the card's existence they don't swing for lethal when you have nothing to block with. Then again, if they aren't swinging for lethal, who cares?

Also, fun with MTGO: the most expensive card in Standard there is Temple of Malady - its 20 bucks.

I tried the Tarmogoyf version yesterday (slightly tweaked for local meta) and didn't do as well but mainly because of a random loss to Living End in round 1 where I didn't draw anything relevant. Unfortunately because it was a smallish tournament I drew against UWR Ascendancy next round and then couldn't make the top 4 cut. Confident I would have been favored against the players that got easy round 1s / byes.

You get to see so many cards with this set up it's ridiculous.

Awesome, thank you. I have nearly every card to build this in paper.

I only have one serum visions. lol
That damn card could use a reprint.

Hoooly shit my 4C whip deck is slow. Maybe I should play Caryatids after all. Then I can skimp on the tap lands a bit, and skipping the third turn is really important when everything is a 4-drop lol

But man, things go crazy in the end game.

Prices of Standard cards are super rock bottom right now. Siege Rhino is only $4? Really? Same with Sidisi? I just got a foil Sidisi for $10 worth of trade.

Even Theros cards are suffering. Thoughtseize is back down to 20 and sinking.

'Tis the season, I guess. I'm scooping up staples for dirt cheap left and right.

By the way, does anyone need a Hero's Downfall? :p

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Khans is a badass set (getting a bit long in the tooth) but better than Zendikar? I wasn't really around for those days, but isn't Zendikar one of the most beloved sets of all time? Or is that just cause of Emrakul?

kirblar

Khans is a badass set (getting a bit long in the tooth) but better than Zendikar? I wasn't really around for those days, but isn't Zendikar one of the most beloved sets of all time? Or is that just cause of Emrakul?
Khans is one of the best sets card-quality wise at Rare ever released. Zendikar had a lot of chaff despite having full art basics and the fetches.

MjFrancis

I built a budget Abzan Midrange deck online just last night. Horrible flat mana curve, eight taplands, eight painlands, eight basics, twelve removal cards and twenty-two fat threats with some whips to bring them back if you have to.

I should probably buy the rest of the pieces just to playtest against or lend out at an FNM. Any deck with four Siege Rhinos is good enough to win a few games.

MjFrancis

I've just avoided playing it for too long. But between playing U/B Control and Mono-Black Devotion this Standard, everything has boiled down to "How to deal with Siege Rhino." Thoughtseize has basically read "Pay 2 life: Remove target Siege Rhino from your opponent's hand." Hero's Downfall and Murderous Cut are kept in hand specifically to respond to the next Siege Rhino, but that's not nearly as satisfying as just countering it like I could with U/B. If you can't beat them, join them, right?

Or I could buy the budget Temur deck I cobbled together. Again, I'd just be going Temur to have better creatures than Jeskai with access to counters for Siege Rhino.

At least the Rhino is merely boring - perhaps obnoxious, as you said - for this standard. Thragtusk was downright oppressive.

Joe Molotov

After being out of the game for 15 years(!) I've gotten back into MtG. I found a local store that does FNM and Thursday night Booster Drafts and I've been hitting that up regularly the past few weeks.

I've built a pretty standard Jeskai Aggro deck that I've been playing (Rabblemasters, Seekers, Mantis Riders Jeskai Charms, Magma Jet, Lightning Strike, Stoke the Flames, Dig Through Time). I usually do pretty good with it. So far my worst matchup has been this guy that plays a U/W Control deck who likes to drop Ensoul Artifact on either Ornithopter or Darksteel Citadel. I'm thinking about mainboarding a few Suspension Fields.

Been thinking about doing a Sidisi Whip deck, but I've been looking at some of the variants, like an Abzan Reanimator with Siege Rhino replacing Sidisi, or using Sidisi but not the Whip.

For as much as I hate watching Siege Rhino games, I love watching Whip of Erebos games. I love that card so much; it's by far my favorite thing to come from Theros block.

To be honest, all of the god weapons were a lot of fun. I found them all far more interesting than the gods themselves. It's a shame that none of the others, aside from Bident in last year's devotion decks, are "good enough."

kirblar

For as much as I hate watching Siege Rhino games, I love watching Whip of Erebos games. I love that card so much; it's by far my favorite thing to come from Theros block.

To be honest, all of the god weapons were a lot of fun. I found them all far more interesting than the gods themselves. It's a shame that none of the others, aside from Bident in last year's devotion decks, are "good enough."
Other 3 have seen play, G one in SBs, R/W one a bit in MD/SB, issue w/ those 2 in particular is the legend clause.

Angry Grimace

Whip is a card that by itself kind of does a little too much. "All your creatures get lifelink" is a card that should have given Wizards pause before they printed it, to be honest.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";143577328]I'm still pissed that they changed erebos' ability away from a permanent yawgmoth's will for creatures lol

Would have been so sick.[/QUOTE]

I still find it funny how much worse the Necropotence ability gets every time I see it. Now its even worse than Greed.

I sort of assume it was intended that Erebos and his Whip have some kind of synergy (you know, like a really shitty Griselbrand or something) but I've never seen Erebos played for a reason other than stopping lifegain.

OnPoint

I'm thinking about figuring out a way to build a Bant Siege Rhino deck that uses the blue Impostor to copy it. Could be fun.

I still find it funny how much worse the Necropotence ability gets every time I see it. Now its even worse than Greed.

I sort of assume it was intended that Erebos and his Whip have some kind of synergy (you know, like a really shitty Griselbrand or something) but I've never seen Erebos played for a reason other than stopping lifegain.

He's also a card drawing engine.

Other 3 have seen play, G one in SBs, R/W one a bit in MD/SB, issue w/ those 2 in particular is the legend clause.

Point well made; I wasn't considering sideboard play as much as I should have.

Whip is a card that by itself kind of does a little too much. "All your creatures get lifelink" is a card that should have given Wizards pause before they printed it, to be honest.

It's certainly a very powerful card. I think it's at exactly the right kind of power level to be exciting and interesting and to enable unique deck archetypes, without simultaneously being oppressive.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";143577328]I'm still pissed that they changed erebos' ability away from a permanent yawgmoth's will for creatures lol[/QUOTE]

Wut. Like, it would read "You may cast creature cards from your graveyard?" Geez. Do you just want the world to burn?

Angry Grimace

I'm thinking about figuring out a way to build a Bant Siege Rhino deck that uses the blue Impostor to copy it. Could be fun.

He's also a card drawing engine.

That's ability is the subject of that post, dude. What I'm saying is that I've never seen anyone play him for his Greed effect, just boarding him in for lifegain prevention, and not since last Standard, either.

That's ability is the subject of that post, dude. What I'm saying is that I've never seen anyone play him for his Greed effect, just boarding him in for lifegain prevention, and not since last Standard, either.

Mono-Black absolutely wanted more ways to draw cards against Control and the mirror. Would they have played Greed if it didn't also hose Sphinx's Revelation and Gray Merchant? I can't say.

EDIT: I can't wait for Holiday cube. I never could get the hang of Midrange.cube no matter how many times I played it. I just opened a sample pack on CubeTutor with Brain Freeze, Sword of Fire and Ice, Moat, Blightsteel, LED, Ravages. Do you take the Brain Freeze and assume you'll wheel the LED and get enablers? Do you take the Sword because it's a Sword? So many choices!

Angry Grimace

Mono-Black absolutely wanted more ways to draw cards against Control and the mirror. Would they have played Greed if it didn't also hose Sphinx's Revelation and Gray Merchant? I can't say.

I think the distinction there is that Greed's activation is non-insignificantly cheaper than Erebos is. I'd probably rather play Sign in Blood or Read the Bones right now.

I think the 2 life and 1B is probably leaning towards not really playable (since you don't see people doing it and that card is in Standard). Even Greed never saw too much play as far as I know, although obviously Underworld Connections saw lots of it.

OnPoint

He definitely played the part of card drawing in the mirror, no question. Probably last standard more than now, I don't know, does he even see play now? He played the anti Gary Merchant part then too. But it was definitely a two-part use.

Angry Grimace

He definitely played the part of card drawing in the mirror, no question. Probably last standard more than now, I don't know, does he even see play now? He played the anti Gary Merchant part then too. But it was definitely a two-part use.

I rarely saw him played as it was and I was grinding a lot of mono-black variants on MODO too. Underworld Connections did the same thing for cheaper and with better devotion.

OnPoint

I rarely saw him played as it was and I was grinding a lot of mono-black variants on MODO too. Underworld Connections did the same thing for cheaper and with better devotion.

Happened almost every week on camera during the SCG Opens. They loved showing the Mono-B mirror.

You were already maxed out on them. From what I saw, Erebos sat in the board as a one-of to increase the number of card drawing targets. It would also be important against Control to put as much stress on their D-Spheres as possible.

I'm not saying Erebos is great or anything. He was just what you had access to and sometimes it was right to play him.

Have fun, dude. Mono-Green is great! Maybe add a few Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx into the deck for added juice?

Meh, this deck is more about speed than it is about devotion.

Turn 1 - Drop land, play Llanowar.
Turn 2 - Drop land, play Silhana and Rancor on it.
Turn 3 - Drop land, play Blanchwood Armor & Groundswell. Swing for 10.
Turn 4 - Drop land/play Might of Oaks, swing for 10+, done.

That would be an ideal 4 turn kill.

Erebos is bonkers as a Commander. It lets you go nuts with acceleration galore and never have to worry about flooding out. The life gain hose is also a nice bonus

Meh, this deck is more about speed than it is about devotion.

Turn 1 - Drop land, play Llanowar.
Turn 2 - Drop land, play Silhana and Rancor on it.
Turn 3 - Drop land, play Blanchwood Armor & Groundswell. Swing for 10.
Turn 4 - Drop land/play Might of Oaks, swing for 10+, done.

That would be an ideal 4 turn kill.

You should just play Infect if that's what you want. Same idea; only need to hit for 10 instead of 20. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom