• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

Temporal Trespass is good. Directly competes with Treasure Cruise too so can't just jam full sets of both in a deck.

wKcLOzr.png

Credit to some random guy on Reddit

red13th

I feel like the only way the Reserved list is acceptable to the health of the game is if Wizards is willing to reprint the hell out of any card that's not on it. If there's a clear list of cards that will not be reprinted to invest in, collectors have no reason to complain when any card off the list, no matter how expensive, is reprinted.

but even that doesn't happen since there's the unofficial reserve list with stuff like FoW and Wasteland.

Matriox

Riddle of Lightning for 11 :p Seems decent as 1 one of or in some crazy Narset deck, christmas land says I can get a howl of the horde off and have a couple of turns lol

f0rk

Riddle of Lightning for 11 :p Seems decent as 1 one of or in some crazy Narset deck, christmas land says I can get a howl of the horde off and have a couple of turns lol

Yeah.
I don't think it's Modern playable, in any current decks at least

OnPoint

Switching gears a tad, I'm really curious about the story implications of changing the Ugin/Bolas battle all those years back, pre-mending. I get the immediate impact it will have on the clans and the plane of Tarkir, but what does this mean for Bolas? Will this somehow alter his character and/or power level? Will this change his plans in any meaningful way? It would be tough to do so, considering how interweaved everything is, but if they feel like they wrote themselves into a corner, this would be the place to escape it.

As an aside, I feel bad for those of you out there hoping Niv would become a PW. Now that we have a second dragon PW who is also a rival to Bolas, it's not looking good for Niv's immediate PW hopes.

Wichu

Switching gears a tad, I'm really curious about the story implications of changing the Ugin/Bolas battle all those years back, pre-mending. I get the immediate impact it will have on the clans and the plane of Tarkir, but what does this mean for Bolas? Will this somehow alter his character and/or power level? Will this change his plans in any meaningful way? It would be tough to do so, considering how interweaved everything is, but if they feel like they wrote themselves into a corner, this would be the place to escape it.

As an aside, I feel bad for those of you out there hoping Niv would become a PW. Now that we have a second dragon PW who is also a rival to Bolas, it's not looking good for Niv's immediate PW hopes.

I expect the repercussions of FRF will be limited to Tarkir. I doubt they want to mess around with the rest of the storyline too much.

Matriox

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";145332970]DELVE DELVE DELVE

I really hope they spoil some enablers soon, I'm tired of Commune with the Gods :-([/QUOTE]

Steam Augury 0-5 split gogogo!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The thing I like about Delve here, truly, is the fact that it is self cannibalizing. You can't run 4 Dig Through Time, 4 Treasure Cruise, and 4 Temporal Trespass and expect to have enough shit in your dumpster to support all of them.

It's a mechanic that balances itself!

Arksy

There should be more cards that allow you to dig shit up from the graveyard as well, making delve more of a tactical choice.

The thing I like about Delve here, truly, is the fact that it is self cannibalizing. You can't run 4 Dig Through Time, 4 Treasure Cruise, and 4 Temporal Trespass and expect to have enough shit in your dumpster to support all of them.

It's a mechanic that balances itself!

Mudslide Season 5GB
Instant
Delve
Put the top 7 cards of your library into your graveyard.
Whenever another card gets exiled from your graveyard, return Mudslide Season from your graveyard to your hand.

That feeling when you Brain Freeze your opponent for lethal and they have Ulamog in their deck :( My deck also had a Tendrils in it, but I couldn't find it. Lost the first game to a random Time Vault/Kiora's Follower from the UG ramp deck; lost the second to just getting unlucky. C'est la vie. Hopefully the bottom of the bracket is a little softer to storm.
To be honest, it's a good thing that Storm isn't a top-tier deck in the cube. It's a bad thing that Time Vault is.

EDIT: WTF at those spoilers. The designers are in full-on crazypants mode.

ultron87

I love giving spells Lifelink. I don't think they even have to change any rules to make that work.

And now you can gain six life from Lightning Helix!

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Man. Soulfire Grandmaster in Jeskai Tokens. Holy shitballs.

Kind of Christmas Tree-y, but with 4 of each in the deck it's definitely doable.

Jeskai Ascendancy down, with Soulfire Grandmaster down, into Hordeling Outburt, activate ability, Stoke into Stoke (into Stoke?).

Gain 8 life. Squee.

Matriox

Man. Soulfire Grandmaster in Jeskai Tokens. Holy shitballs.

Kind of Christmas Tree-y, but with 4 of each in the deck it's definitely doable.

Jeskai Ascendancy down, with Soulfire Grandmaster down, into Hordeling Outburt, activate ability, Stoke into Stoke (into Stoke?).

Gain 8 life. Squee.

Even more christmasy, have 4 mana producer creatures in your scenario and cast infinite Stokes :D

y2dvd

en_lw5yaa6hq8.png
EN_nedjom27yf.png

Guessing the guildleaders go "one way" while there's a cycle of non-leaders going the "other", hybrid-wise.

oOo Soulfire. A bear that's good into late game. Me likey. It's not even legendary. Aww I was thinking it may do something neat with Satyr Firedancer but it doesn't. Searing Blood is funny with Soulfire.

Edit
I fully expect Valorous Stance to see play, especially in Abzan. I can see Hero's Downfall prices going down a little.

OnPoint

Soulfire Grand Master is my preorder target right now. I should have listened to myself about Wingmate Roc. If this is decently priced I'll pick up at least a playset.

MjFrancis

Standard burn is going to be a lot more fun with Soulfire Grand Master. Boros, Jeskai Wins and Dictate decks were all basically burn decks that couldn't keep up with all the lifelink in Standard. This will help a bit.

Put me down for 'meh' on the grandmaster (for constructed playability. For flavor and coolness it's a slam dunk).

Life gain is a marginal ability and there's not enough good burn in Standard for it to make waves. The activated ability is win-more.

Yeef

Soulfire can potentially lock your opponent's draw step if you manage to get to 7 mana with a Jeskai Charm. Definitely something I don't want to run into in draft; so I'm glad it's at mythic.

Some of the not-quite-burn spells in Khans become a little more interesting with it too (Mindswipe and Deflecting Palm, for example).

but even that doesn't happen since there's the unofficial reserve list with stuff like FoW and Wasteland.

Both of these have been reprinted at least once in paper since their original release, and I don't think there's any guarantee they won't find ways to do so again in the future.

This set almost feels like a reaction to how overly simply the cards in Theros block were designed.

I definitely get the sense they went in trying to purposely push the boundary of complexity they'd set for themselves, to prove that a format this complex can still work.

Honestly, I'm for it. Dialing set complexity back up now is good since they're still being wary of the stuff that caused trouble before. Lorwyn/Morningtide draft was just a nightmare of thirty seven thousand partially overlapping, variable-size, powerful effects that sat on the board waiting to be used every turn. KTK is very complex but it isn't like that and I don't think FRF is going to change that.

Life gain is a marginal ability and there's not enough good burn in Standard for it to make waves. The activated ability is win-more.

I don't think this is an accurate application of "win-more." Usually you say that about a deck that can have solid control of the board or a dominating life lead at some point, and then a card whose effect is so huge that it won't even be necessary. This card isn't like that at all -- it's providing virtual card advantage (and therefore reach) to a deck that typically runs out of gas and has no late game, which means it's got the potential to take almost-wins and get there.

Soulfire Grand Master is really neat, but I feel Jeskai Infiltrator isn't getting the attention it deserves for how crazy it is.

For the intro pack rares that weren't already spoiled, Archfiend of Depravity seems really good, even as just a 5/4 flier for 5, and it has an upside! Dragonscale General seems good in limited, though I'm not sure what's going on with the scale in the regular art. Temur War Shaman seems pretty good.

FML. 0-3 with Storm, thanks to a loss to a UG Time Vault deck, then to Mono-Red, and then Show And Tell in the pity-points round. The first round I felt like I just got unlucky, the second round was a really bad matchup (essentially unwinnable), and the third round I got some really, really bad draws off of Timetwisters and found myself one mana short of the victory in games two and three.

Oh well. That's the risk you take when you draft Storm. You're either going to win in the sweetest way possible, or just crash and burn to the ground. I feel like I had to try it; I've had my fill, now it's back to drafting sane broken decks instead of this insanity.

This was what I submitted. The biggest problem in the deck was a lack of card draw outside of the draw-sevens; there just weren't any card draw spells showing up in the draft, and my inability to push through my deck fast enough hurt me. I had to play some marginal (bad) cards to make playables; I wasn't expecting to 3-0 or anything, but I know the deck would have been able to win at least one round if it hadn't gotten quite so unlucky.

Toxi

Banned
Soulfire Grand Master has one hell of a nasty interaction with extra turn spells.

Also easy infinite mana with Turnabout. Goddamnit it, why does everything combo with Turnabout?

I just thought of something. There has often been talk about the how clans will change come Dragons of Tarkir, particularly in how their colors will change, but it always seemed unlikely to me that they'd change the colors of the clans, especially to shard colors as some have suggested, when they've been pushing the clan names as the official names for the wedges. However, Fate Reforged has watermarks not just for the clans, but the dragon broods, which are allied two-color groups. Perhaps Dragons of Tarkir won't have the clans at all, but rather humans serving under the dragon broods. Thus, you still have the aspects of the dragon to be focused on by each group, but they are no longer wedges and don't have the Khans of Tarkir names.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I just thought of something. There has often been talk about the how clans will change come Dragons of Tarkir, particularly in how their colors will change, but it always seemed unlikely to me that they'd change the colors of the clans, especially to shard colors as some have suggested, when they've been pushing the clan names as the official names for the wedges. However, Fate Reforged has watermarks not just for the clans, but the dragon broods, which are allied two-color groups. Perhaps Dragons of Tarkir won't have the clans at all, but rather humans serving under the dragon broods. Thus, you still have the aspects of the dragon to be focused on by each group, but they are no longer wedges and don't have the Khans of Tarkir names.

I was thinking something similar. My current guess for DTK is that its a Dragon focused Hybrid focused set

Can you explain why? Doesn't strike me as all that good.

Its constructed playability doesn't matter. It has you shuffle it and another card and put them on the battlefield face-down.

I was thinking something similar. My current guess for DTK is that its a Dragon focused Hybrid focused set

I'm not so sure that Dragons will have any hybrid at all. It very much seems like hybrid is in Fate Reforged just to be playable both with the enemy-focused Khans and the potentially ally-focused Dragons.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The magic happens on the next turn, where you attack with both manifests and they have to guess.

Wichu

Stop making me want to build 5-colour morph/manifest EDH :(

The main problem is there aren't really any synergistic legendary creatures for it. My brother built a 5-colour token deck, and just used Reaper King (it was that or Child of Alara). It turns out token copies of Reaper King are actually goddamn terrifying.

kirblar

Manifest is a mechanic for this set only btw- it's why the cards with it are so ridiculous on its first outing. Morph will be back in Set 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom