• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been rumored for a while now. Marshall stopped posting videos to MTGO Academy and dropped CK as a sponsor; it seemed pretty clear LSV was getting involved. I started listening during the Loucks era, and while I love Loucks and Brian, I'm super excited to get a weekly dose of Marshall and LSV together.

kirblar

It's been rumored for a while now. Marshall stopped posting videos to MTGO Academy and dropped CK as a sponsor; it seemed pretty clear LSV was getting involved. I started listening during the Loucks era, and while I love Loucks and Brian, I'm super excited to get a weekly dose of Marshall and LSV together.
I've never been interested in LR for a simple reason: why should I listen to people talk about it who don't put up results? (On the flipside, BenS on teamdrafting was a revelation.)

Crocodile

I've never been interested in LR for a simple reason: why should I listen to people talk about it who don't put up results? (On the flipside, BenS on teamdrafting was a revelation.)

What you want/need Marshall, Jon, Ryan or Brian to go out and win GPs or Pro Tours for you to care what they have to say? That seems pretty unreasonable? It's clear that not only are they all good Magic players (some more so than others) but that the resources they've provided have improved the limited game of 513513253513534 Magic players. I've felt their set reviews, metagame discussions, etc. have had a net positive on my limited win record (to say nothing of the fact that they are generally entertaining to listen to). I feel the amount of information they dispense and the manner in which they do it - if you're at all interested in Limited Magic from a competitive perspective I feel there is often more to gain from LR than articles from most Pros on StarCity Games or Channel Fireball.

BenS is an obvious exception. I can't recall if the topic of Team Drafting has come up on LR but it is a pretty uncommon drafting format for the Magic playing populace in general to be fair.

kirblar

Because I need to trust that I'm getting good information in order to sink my time in, not just be entertained by fanboys. (I loathe podcasting in general because it's such a timesink for me.)

Like, the BenS thing was mindblowing because it opened up thought axes I hadn't considered before which explained why I did just fine in 8-man drafts but blew up in and loathed teamdrafts. Things like "just take the blatantly best card then figure out a deck later" aren't intuitive when you're in a 8 man, but in a 6 man (where the card pool is zero-sum) it alters everything.

Crocodile

Because I need to trust that I'm getting good information in order to sink my time in, not just be entertained by fanboys. (I loathe podcasting in general because it's such a timesink for me.)

Like, the BenS thing was mindblowing because it opened up thought axes I hadn't considered before which explained why I did just fine in 8-man drafts but blew up in and loathed teamdrafts. Things like "just take the blatantly best card then figure out a deck later" aren't intuitive when you're in a 8 man, but in a 6 man (where the card pool is zero-sum) it alters everything.

I mean if Marshall & co. were just some random obnoxious Magic players/personalities (of which there are many unfortunately) I could understand where you're coming from but they aren't so I don't understand where you're coming from. They know what they are talking about have been demonstrating that for years even if they aren't Pro Tour mainstays.

If it's hard to find multi-task opportunities (like commutes for example) to fit in podcasts, that's an entirely different and understandable issue.

kirblar

I mean if Marshall & co. were just some random obnoxious Magic players/personalities (of which there are many unfortunately) I could understand where you're coming from but they aren't so I don't understand where you're coming from. They know what they are talking about have been demonstrating that for years even if they aren't Pro Tour mainstays.

If it's hard to find multi-task opportunities (like commutes for example) to fit in podcasts, that's an entirely different and understandable issue.
Marshall's literally only a thing because of the podcast. He loves limited play, and he turned it into a coverage gig. And I'm not bashing him for that, but they are in that "random" category. LSV, however, is most definitely not.

Crocodile

Marshall's literally only a thing because of the podcast. He loves limited play, and he turned it into a coverage gig. And I'm not bashing him for that, but they are in that "random" category. LSV, however, is most definitely not.

You're right in that Marshall got notoriety pretty much solely because of his podcast. However, he is where he is today because he and his cohosts were providing a quality product. I'm not claiming he's the best limited mind in the World or whatever nonsense - just that he and his cohosts before LSV all did know what they were talking about- they aren't/weren't mooks is all I'm trying to say. LSV joining though is exciting though :)

bigkrev

Serious question- has U/B control ever won a feature match on Camera?

It literally looks like the worst deck of all time every time I've seen it.

kirblar

Serious question- has U/B control ever won a feature match on Camera?

It literally looks like the worst deck of all time every time I've seen it.
I don't understand why people play it- it just can't win events right now. (This likely will change in 3 weeks when it gets a Wrath.)

bigkrev

I don't understand why people play it- it just can't win events right now. (This likely will change in 3 weeks when it gets a Wrath.)

But it's always in the feature match area with a really good record, and then gets destroyed.

Does it have magical powers that only allow it to win if no one is paying attention?

kirblar

But it's always in the feature match area with a really good record, and then gets destroyed.

Does it have magical powers that only allow it to win if no one is paying attention?
Destroys bad players and has some freeroll matchups. (Some whip decks can't beat a T3 Ashiok, for instance.)

Look at why it would get a feature match- it's playing against a good player!

I wanted to see how far I could go on Turn 5 with UR Storm in Modern. Decided to stop after passing 100 red mana, and drawing 12 cards off of Treasure Cruise. >=)

F8xOyZO.jpg

Firemind

I just drafted the most durdling rock deck with a backup reanimate plan consisting of exactly one enabler and zero fast mana... and I 3-0'd. Couldn't even cast Wurmcoil, Woodfall Primus or Griselbrand without Recurring Nightmare + Buried Alive. My best card was Eternal Witness. Mesmeric Fiend and Maggot were surprisingly effective, and Krosan Grip managed to destroy Time Vault, but damn, never saw a cube draft gone south so badly and actually manage to win.

I only got to do 5 Holiday Cubes this time.

3-0 5-Color Upheaval
0-3 Storm
2-1 UG Vault
3-0 Mono-Red Lotus
2-1 BW Smokestack

Way better than my Legacy Cube run. Too bad I couldn't do more drafts. :(

I only got to do 5 Holiday Cubes this time.

Waiting for a round to finish in my third and final now. Would have gotten more in if I hadn't spent the entire time it was up all the way across the country with my in-laws.

I drafted around crushing people with Swords and won the first round without even drawing any of the stuff supporting that so... fingers crossed

bigkrev

Whisper of the Wilds might be constructed playable. I also like how it does not have Defender if you find a way to pump its power

red13th

My modern cube. I have no idea how a modern cube would work so I copied a list and made a bunch of changes. Suggest me cards!
Ninja is on the chopping block for Thassa btw. Spending so much money...

How do I learn Modern?

I feel like playing at the shop once or twice a month is not enough to learn the archetypes/general meta very well.

Is it worth it to buy a cheaper deck on MTGO and play 2 mans for a while?

My modern cube. I have no idea how a modern cube would work so I copied a list and made a bunch of changes. Suggest me cards!
Ninja is on the chopping block for Thassa btw. Spending so much money...

I can't spend too much time analyzing it, but...

Don't feel like you have to be married to symmetry necessarily - especially when it comes to planeswalkers. You don't necessarily need two of each color - feel free to mix and match.

Cards that it feels like you're missing:
* Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
* Birthing Pod
* Voice of Resurgence
* Garruk, Caller of Beasts (a sweet way to cheat cards into play)
* Tooth and Nail (possibly even Progenitus)
* Intangible Virtue (or some other Anthem effect for white).
* Keranos, God of Storms
* Eidolon of the Great Revel
* Riftwing Cloudskate
* Shadowmage Infiltrator (it was time-shifted, so it's Modern-Legal)
* Banisher Priest (I think I like this over Fiend Hunter since it attacks for more, and you aren't running instant-speed blink shenanigans).

Cards which seem like they don't have a place
* Dryad Militant (take it out of Selesnya and put it into white if you want to keep it; it's chewing up a valuable gold slot for something boring). Turn this into Voice of Resurgence.
* Flames of the Blood Hand
* Blood Scrivener (just not good enough)
* Steam Augury
* Legion Loyalist
* Deadbridge Goliath
* Vines of Vastwood

EDIT: Added few others

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't see these posted yet;
So what's up with Wild Slash? I mean, good for dealing with Morph and Manifest in limited, but outside of that, what deck that runs multiple 4 power creatures would have use for a two-damage burn spell? If I'm not mistaken, there isn't a lot of damage prevention currently in Standard anyway? Obviously great for if manifest takes off, but the ferocious ability seems a bit weird to me.

Arcbond seems ridiculous though, especially if you have anything with Deathtouch or Lifelink. Warden of the First Tree looks solid too, considering you can repeat the third ability.

What we missed in the downtime:
EDIT: Removed images

I was expecting a straight-up reprint of Shock, so it's surprising to see a better version.
Tasigur seems pretty good. You just have to delve 1 to get him to be decent for his cost, and his activated ability isn't bad.
The cycle of dragons seems pretty fun.

Now, MaRo's article confirmed that Dragons of Tarkir will have five faction mechanics distinct from those of Khans of Tarkir, and morph. They chose the mechanics for Fate Reforged by seeing which Khans mechanics had the most room for more, leaving out outlast and thus bringing in bolster from Dragons, and seeing which Dragons mechanic played best with its Khans equivalent, bringing in dash from Dragons and leaving out raid; though he notes that raid has more than enough room and was successful enough that it will return some day.

Also, basic lands art, of which there are 10 new ones.

kirblar

You're supposed to Delve away the cards you don't want with Golden Fang. Cute design.

Also, far better than the first Mandrills :p

Wild Slash is a strictly better Shock. Not bad. Probably not useful in Standard though. I guess it stops half of Deflecting Palm?

To the guy with the Modern cube: put in Vexing Devil

Hooting Mandrils dead forever.

I could conceive playing 3 of this guy and 1 or 2 Mandrills, since this guy is legendary

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They choose, so you need some way of removing the cards you mill.

I wonder if there's some sort of neat combo with Arcbond and Boros Recokoner. Nothing comes to mind though.

MjFrancis

So what's up with Wild Slash? I mean, good for dealing with Morph and Manifest in limited, but outside of that, what deck that runs multiple 4 power creatures would have use for a two-damage burn spell? If I'm not mistaken, there isn't a lot of damage prevention currently in Standard anyway? Obviously great for if manifest takes off, but the ferocious ability seems a bit weird to me.
Wild Slash is the return of Shock with an occasionally-useful Ferocious ability. They had me at Shock!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Two Boros Reckoners + Boros Charm + Arcbond + Shock

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
They choose, so you need some way of removing the cards you mill.

I wonder if there's some sort of neat combo with Arcbond and Boros Recokoner. Nothing comes to mind though.

Maybe with 2x Arcbond, you could have it bounce back and forth with another creature for extra damage/life.

bigkrev

Arcbond seems ridiculous though, especially if you have anything with Deathtouch or Lifelink. Warden of the First Tree looks solid too, considering you can repeat the third ability.

Wild Slash takes over the Magma spray slot in most cases, and that ferocious will blow someone out when it shuts off protection.

I'm really disappointed in how they handled rarity in this set. I can see an occasional small Red dragon at uncommon, but a fucking GREEN dragon at UNCOMMON?!?

And why are the complicated legendary creatures like Tasigar at rare when printing obviously powerful and simpler cards like Warden of the First Tree and Monastary Mentor at Mythic? For the first time, it seems like they specifically took the most powerful cards and made them mythic, which is what they said they would never do

Firemind

Really? When a red sorcery or instant has a wall of text, chances are it's bad.

Those dragon artwork smh. Noxious Dragon is the only one that looks like an actual menacing dragon. I'm sorry, but I can't take dragons seriously when they're vomiting lightning. Even Lightning Dragon, Thunder Dragon and Thundermaw Hellkite didn't exhibit that on their artwork. That white dragon is the worst of the lot though lol. Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom