• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first mode is awesome.
  • I think you're severely undervaluing what the Scry on Thassa did for those decks, and I feel like an extra draw + loot is comparable to that. Mono U Devotion liked using her as a 5/5 when it could, but it often won without that.
  • You really have to consider that this will help power Cruise, while also being good for Whip decks as well.
  • The second mode would be awesome against Burn or decks with targeted removal. Not that Burn is a super huge thing in Standard right now, but like I said, it's basically a sideboard option built in.

I just don't agree. I think it's going to see play, even if just to try it out, partially because it's low on the curve, and partially because getting through a deck quicker than normal through card selection is almost always powerful.

Blue decks are currently either Jeskai or Sultai, with some Temur outliers. If they wanted this effect, they would play their respective Ascendancies, which are better.

Thassa wasn't always 5/5, but it did always make your guys unblockable. That combined with the scrying to make a good, playable card. This has neither of those extra abilities.

OnPoint

Blue decks are currently either Jeskai or Sultai, with some Temur outliers. If they wanted this effect, they would play their respective Ascendancies, which are better.

Thassa wasn't always 5/5, but it did always make your guys unblockable. That combined with the scrying to make a good, playable card. This has neither of those extra abilities.

In regards to the Ascendancies, costing 2U is much better than those triple color CCs. I honestly can't believe the Sultai one doesn't see play, it seems really powerful to me. But then I haven't built any Sultai decks.

I guess we'll see how it shakes out. I think the card has some real potential.

Toxi

Banned
Fun observation: Each type of dragon has a different breath element shown in their Siege art.

• WU: Ice
  • UB: Acid
  • BR: Lightning
  • RG: Fire
  • GW: Laser

bigkrev

The problem with Sultai Ascendency is that the card doesn't actually do anything. Card selection is not the same thing as drawing cards. Just compare Augar of Bolas to Omenspeaker.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Augur of Bolas was a tier 1 constructed card in standard, and Omenspeaker is an unplayable card. Augar of Bolas, in the decks it was played in, had around a 70% chance to draw you a card when you cast it, while Omenspeaker always lets you Scry 2 when you play it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fun observation: Each type of dragon has a different breath element shown in their Siege art.

• WU: Ice
  • UB: Acid
  • BR: Lightning
  • RG: Fire
  • GW: Laser

Feels so D&D.

OnPoint

Bigkrev: I figured Sultai Ascendancy being able to put stuff in graveyards would be good. Guess not haha

Deck idea! Some combination of these bad boys could make a fun foundation for a powerful late game. Gum up the ground and dig in your heels to eventually clear the board with Ugin and crush? Splash a lil black, baby, you got yourself a stew going!

I don't know, it feels really unfocused but I really want to ramp into Big Garruk/Ugin and just own. Seems super fun.

Regular art for Supplant Form:
en_26i99829jn.png

And another card:
mardustrikeleader.jpg

Mardu Strike Leader (or more likely Mardu Assault Chef, since black has a history of cooks)
2B
Creature - Human Warrior
Whenever Mardu Strike Leader attacks, put a 2/1 black Warrior creature token onto the battlefield.
Dash 3B (You may cast this spell for its dash cost. If you do, it gains haste, and it's returned from the battlefield to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.)
3/2

All of the spoiled cards today seem pretty good. The Latest Developments article that spoiled the phoenix also goes into detail on how they have been making phoenixes a more frequent thing in red in order to expand the sorts of decks available to it.

Firemind

Don't really understand the hype. Phoenix seems worse than Chandra's. Yeah, it only costs one mana to cast it beyond the first time, but you can't use it to block and red is not the colour with an abundance of cheap fatties. Plus your opponent can use removal to keep you from replaying the phoenix. Works well with Ashcloud I guess.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Don't really understand the hype. Phoenix seems worse than Chandra's. Yeah, it only costs one mana to cast it beyond the first time, but you can't use it to block and red is not the colour with an abundance of cheap fatties. Plus your opponent can use removal to keep you from replaying the phoenix. Works well with Ashcloud I guess.
It's basically a burn spell. Not too bad since you can recast it nonstop for cheap.

y2dvd

I like the Phoenix. I dunno about it being so good but it seems balanced enough. Fits into Big Boros or R/G Monsters I guess.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Another interesting templating change: "You put a token into play" instead of just "Put a token into play". I'm guess so its clear that the opponent doesn't get the token?

Speculative decklist for thought:

Jundead Monsters

Creatures(20):
  • 4 Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4 Fanatic of Xenagos
  • 4 Flamewake Phoenix
  • 4 Soulflayer
  • 2 Doomwake Giant
  • 2 Hornet Queen

Spells(12):
  • 4 Murderous Cut
  • 4 Commune with the Gods
  • 4 Tormenting Voice

Enchantments(3):
  • 3 Whip of Erebos

Land(25):
  • 1 Mana Confluence
  • 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 3 Bloodstained Mire
  • 3 Wooded Foothills
  • 3 Forest
  • 3 Swamp
  • 3 Mountain
  • 4 Temple of Malady
  • 2 Temple of Abandon
  • 2 Temple of Malice

Sideboard(15):
  • 4 Drown in Sorrow
  • 4 Xenagos, the Reveler
  • 4 Thoughtseize
  • 1 Doomwake Giant
  • 2 Reclamation Sage

red13th

Are you from the US? Pm me if you're interested in mine, I've got one never played before I don't care about.

Nope, not in the US, but thanks anyway! :)
My selfish MM2 reprint wishlist: Avalanche Riders, Gemstone Mine, Plow Under, Savannah Lions, Bribery, Wall of Roots. EDIT: Oh and Shadowmage Infiltrator.

AMUSIX

OK, seeking card suggestions...

I pretty much only play EDH, and have been building a bunch of themed decks. Currently, I'm trying to refine my Ruric Thar deck, and the theme I'm going with is to more or less fuck the table over. Well, that and make every action cause some sort of reaction. To that end, I've got:

Ruric - 6 damage if anyone casts a non-creature
Manabarbs - 1 damage for any tapped land
Manaweb - tap one land, tap them all (more or less)
Burning Earth - 1 damage for any non-basic land tapping
Invader Parasite - play a specific land, get hurt
Lurking Predators - cast a spell, I might get a creature
Price of Glory - tapped lands off turn are destroyed
Forgotten Ancient - any spell cast gives it a +1/+1
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs - attack me, I get Ogres
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger - tap a land, it doesn't untap anytime soon

Then there are others that seem to fit nicely:

Heartless Hidetsugu - yeah, we're losing half our life
Pyxis of Pandemonium - because it's hilarious

So, yeah, does anyone know of any other Red or Green permanents that react to or punish actions?

OK, seeking card suggestions...

I pretty much only play EDH, and have been building a bunch of themed decks. Currently, I'm trying to refine my Ruric Thar deck, and the theme I'm going with is to more or less fuck the table over. Well, that and make every action cause some sort of reaction. To that end, I've got:

Ruric - 6 damage if anyone casts a non-creature
Manabarbs - 1 damage for any tapped land
Manaweb - tap one land, tap them all (more or less)
Burning Earth - 1 damage for any non-basic land tapping
Invader Parasite - play a specific land, get hurt
Lurking Predators - cast a spell, I might get a creature
Price of Glory - tapped lands off turn are destroyed
Forgotten Ancient - any spell cast gives it a +1/+1
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs - attack me, I get Ogres
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger - tap a land, it doesn't untap anytime soon

Then there are others that seem to fit nicely:

Heartless Hidetsugu - yeah, we're losing half our life
Pyxis of Pandemonium - because it's hilarious

So, yeah, does anyone know of any other Red or Green permanents that react to or punish actions?

Why are you playing so many non-creature spells in a Ruric Thar deck?

Wichu

I made a similar deck with Gisela, Blade of Goldnight and a ton of damage-doubling effects once. It was pretty funny.

That said, Omen Machine and Wild Evocation sound fun in Ruric Thar. Your opponents don't want to cast their noncreatures? Too bad.

You can counteract your own life loss by equipping Basilisk Collar or Loxodon Warhammer to Ruric.

AMUSIX

Why are you playing so many non-creature spells in a Ruric Thar deck?

I have a ton of creatures as well. Actually, the original concept was for it to be primarily a werewolves deck. I'm going to take my werewolves and build a different edh deck, but the Ruric deck still has a ton of Ogres in it (including flailing Ogre, because he's awesome as well.

I made a similar deck with Gisela, Blade of Goldnight and a ton of damage-doubling effects once. It was pretty funny.

That said, Omen Machine and Wild Evocation sound fun in Ruric Thar. Your opponents don't want to cast their noncreatures? Too bad.

You can counteract your own life loss by equipping Basilisk Collar or Loxodon Warhammer to Ruric.

Those are brilliant. Thank you, didn't realize something like that existed. Loxodon Warhammer I usually tie to Deus of Calamity...but adding in Basilisk might be nice, too.

At work with nothing to do, so I'm revisiting the descriptions of my decks that I designed for beginners. Previously, I only covered my green-red deck here, but I'll actually go over it again, since I made changes. As I said before, being for beginners, they focus on simple and flavorful effects, but I also wanted to show off a variety of effects, so every nonland card is a 1-of or 2-of, except for a single 4-of that really represents what the deck is about and maybe also a 3-of. For the record, I still haven't actually taught anyone how to play with these decks since my last post about this. I play Magic with my coworkers and other coworkers will come up, ask what we're playing, and express interest in learning how to play the next day, but then they don't come up to me again and I keep forgetting to learn where they sit and their names.

Anyway, major changes to the green-red beginner deck include de-emphasizing elves a bit, having more big creatures, and including more card draw. I also decided to remove regeneration as a showcased mechanic. Now the mechanics are trample, reach, vigilance, and haste.
(Elves)
4x Elvish Mystic - Required by tradition. This replaced Llanowar Elves.
1x Ezuri's Archers - Post Lord of the Rings, you gotta have an elf archer, and this is a good early blocker.
2x Viridian Emissary - Good at attacking and blocking, and the death trigger to get a land is helpful.
2x Elvish Archdruid - This gives the mana elves something to do later, and potentially accelerate mana a lot. This is more useful now that there are more big creatures, and card draw to allow more spells to be cast.
1x Wildheart Invoker - A larger elf, and the activated ability can be helpful in the late game.

(Smaller green creatures)
2x Centaur Courser - For these beginner decks, I think it's important to have some vanilla creatures. This is the only smaller green non-elf creature type now.

(Big green creatures)
2x Garruk's Packleader - Allows for smooth card flow as you cast big creatures.
2x Sentinel Spider - I didn't use Giant Spider for this slot to allow it to trigger Garruk's Packleader. Vigilance is a nice keyword for beginners, since they are known to be hesitant about not having any blockers, so I wanted to use this particular spider, though there unfortunately aren't any other flavorful green vigilance creatures that only have vigilance.
1x Stampeding Rhino - This is the best creature to demonstrate trample with, though I concluded that it's low impact enough that I only want one in the deck.
2x Soul of the Harvest - On the other hand, this got bumped up to two copies. This is a good creature for its cost, and you also get cards for each creature after.
1x Pelakka Wurm - In the previous post, I mentioned that wurms weren't recognizable enough to include, but I decided that there needed to be a big creature to allow you to get back into the game when your opponent will finish you off next turn, and the life-gain of this card allows that.
1x Craterhoof Behemoth - Still no hydras, because I still didn't want to include +1/+1 counters. The haste on this card needs less explanation, since there's one more haste creature and that does have reminder text for it.

(Boosters)
2x Giant Growth - The original
1x Hunter's Prowess - At one point, I had Overrun in this slot, but it really does completely wreck your opponent if you get it off, especially when facing the other beginner decks. I found this card to be a bit more interesting, and further emphasizes green's card drawing.

(Red spells)
2x Flame Slash - This replaces Fall of the Hammer. I decided that being able to consistently deal 4 damage to a creature was more useful, especially since I don't have any deathtouch creatures to take full advantage of Fall of the Hammer.
1x Pyroclasm - This allows the deck to take care of swarms of small creatures.
1x Crimson Mage - Can give the big creatures haste.
1x Act of Treason - This can be really useful at times.
1x Rummaging Goblin - This can be useful to filter cards, especially since many in this deck won't be as useful in the late game.
1x Into the Maw of Hell - Take out big creatures without any X's involved.

(Other)
2x Naturalize - Green mainstay. The other beginner decks include decent numbers of enchantments and artifacts in order to make this useful.
1x Hunter's Ambush - I did want to include a Fog effect for a while. This also has the benefit of possibly also allowing you to make a comeback.
2x Lead the Stampede - This can draw a lot of cards.
1x Into the Wilds - This allows you to filter out lands when drawing.

(Lands)
4x Gruul Guildgate - A simple nonbasic land.
12x Forest
7x Mountain

EYEL1NER

So I am starting to dig more of the cards getting posted now. It making me really pissed that I will miss the release. I was actually here in the country when KTK dropped and didn't know about it since I was still dipping my toes into MtG at that time.

Any good resources people can point me towards for first-time deck-building? I've read a couple sites that have three or four paragraphs dedicated to talking about how many lands is a good amount or what the colors are specifically good at. I go back to Greenland next week where my primary MtG partner is located and want to whip up a deck quickly. As of today I own a 2015 holiday pack (4x boosters and lands), all five KTK intro decks (2x boosters in each), one event deck, and a Hooded Hydra with a bunch of snake tokens (mix of KTK and Zendikar).
I'm not sure what direction I want to even go. I'm not too fond of the Hooded Hydra compared to some of the other Hydras I have looked at (especially art-wise) but I figured I could use it, which is why I bought the tokens. I like some of the goblins so I bought 4x Ankle Shankers. I like the delve mechanic and thought I could lean more heavily on black. I mean, there's three different directions I am torn between and I could probably start finding some white and blue stuff from KTK I like if I started searching hard enough.

EYEL1NER

Steal/copy paste everything at first if you want to play competitively :p (at first) - the learning comes from watching.
I have been on tappedout and have looked up cards I thought I liked, like the Hooded Hydra. I have scanned the comments for cards people recommend to use in conjunction but have yet to copy a specific deck that someone else has created.

Won a box for taking 1st at my LGS's first modern FNM with Rainbow Bogles ^_^

The match was recorded so hopefully I'll be able to post it here in the coming days. I only had to fight against a bunch of delver decks and scapeshift players. All the pod players lost in the swiss and that was probably my worst matchup out of the people that showed up :p

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";145818976]The match was recorded so hopefully I'll be able to post it here in the coming days.[/QUOTE]

That shit really did make your soul burn...lol. Congrats!

ElyrionX

So I am starting to dig more of the cards getting posted now. It making me really pissed that I will miss the release. I was actually here in the country when KTK dropped and didn't know about it since I was still dipping my toes into MtG at that time.

Any good resources people can point me towards for first-time deck-building? I've read a couple sites that have three or four paragraphs dedicated to talking about how many lands is a good amount or what the colors are specifically good at. I go back to Greenland next week where my primary MtG partner is located and want to whip up a deck quickly. As of today I own a 2015 holiday pack (4x boosters and lands), all five KTK intro decks (2x boosters in each), one event deck, and a Hooded Hydra with a bunch of snake tokens (mix of KTK and Zendikar).
I'm not sure what direction I want to even go. I'm not too fond of the Hooded Hydra compared to some of the other Hydras I have looked at (especially art-wise) but I figured I could use it, which is why I bought the tokens. I like some of the goblins so I bought 4x Ankle Shankers. I like the delve mechanic and thought I could lean more heavily on black. I mean, there's three different directions I am torn between and I could probably start finding some white and blue stuff from KTK I like if I started searching hard enough.

Copy a full Standard deck off MTG Top 8. Go to FNM or similar events. Meet and befriend new people. If you find that you don't like to play competitively for prizes and want something more casual, take a look at the Commander/EDH format and try to find the people at your LGS to play with. If you do like the competitive nature of Standard, you can then look at Modern which is the second most popular format behind Modern.

red13th

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";145818976]Won a box for taking 1st at my LGS's first modern FNM with Rainbow Bogles ^_^

The match was recorded so hopefully I'll be able to post it here in the coming days. I only had to fight against a bunch of delver decks and scapeshift players. All the pod players lost in the swiss and that was probably my worst matchup out of the people that showed up :p[/QUOTE]

gratz! hexproof is op

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";145818976]Won a box for taking 1st at my LGS's first modern FNM with Rainbow Bogles ^_^

The match was recorded so hopefully I'll be able to post it here in the coming days. I only had to fight against a bunch of delver decks and scapeshift players. All the pod players lost in the swiss and that was probably my worst matchup out of the people that showed up :p[/QUOTE]

Was playing this on cockatrice the other day. Hard to finish a game people got so mad.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";145836514]I have determined through science that Spellskite is a more ban-worthy card than Treasure Cruise.[/QUOTE]
Don't you also fold to Blood Moon?

Was playing this on cockatrice the other day. Hard to finish a game people got so mad.
There are other Rainbow Bogles players? :-o
Don't you also fold to Blood Moon?

Nah. It's gross when I'm on the draw but too slow on the play, I still get to play minimum 2 enchantments. Besides, I have Madcap Skills in the main which I don't get stopped from playing, and I also main Mortal Obstinacy as a two-of specifically to kill stuff like blood moon without losing momentum. Spellskite, Spell Pierce and Engineered Explosives are the hardest sideboard cards to beat, but I only fold to Spellskite, and only specifically against Scapeshift and other creatureless control decks. Path is just not a consideration against that deck, even if they board in 3 Spellskites. That said, I have been playing with Flamespeaker's Will out of the side, and I think I'm gonna drop two Madcaps for them in the main.

One card I was shockingly weak to was Anger of the Gods on the draw. I play more +x/+o enchantments than normal because of stalker and fewer totem armor cards because I don't expect cards like damnation to be playable in modern right now. So I wound up almost losing a round to that card if it weren't due to Boros Charm, another card I'm thinking of adding an additional copy of. Always overperforms.

In the mainboard, the hardest cards to beat are Thoughtseize on the draw, abrupt decay any time, and liliana of the veil. The reason I'm playing bogles in general is because the GB decks aren't as popular as the UR decks so I don't run into 2 a tournament like I did before.

I just thought of a potentially interesting world for Magic to visit. We start out with a relatively dull world where mana is present but there is no magic used except perhaps by artificers, with maybe a sort of Victorian England flavor. But then, portals open up to a crazy Wonderland + Escher world, perhaps through paintings, and bizarre magical creatures start flooding into the dull world, bringing spells with them; maybe also with some of the flavor of those horror stories involving going into the world of monsters, like Silent Hill, for the mandatory edginess. In the first set, we only really see the dull world at common, containing human soldiers and hounds and such, but then by the second set, the humans will have learned some magic and start appearing more frequently, though still just half and half at most.

Toxi

Banned
I just thought of a potentially interesting world for Magic to visit. We start out with a relatively dull world where mana is present but there is no magic used except perhaps by artificers, with maybe a sort of Victorian England flavor. But then, portals open up to a crazy Wonderland + Escher world, perhaps through paintings, and bizarre magical creatures start flooding into the dull world, bringing spells with them; maybe also with some of the flavor of those horror stories involving going into the world of monsters, like Silent Hill, for the mandatory edginess. In the first set, we only really see the dull world at common, containing human soldiers and hounds and such, but then by the second set, the humans will have learned some magic and start appearing more frequently, though still just half and half at most.
I love this idea, especially if we see some stuff as bizarre as the Kamigawa spirits on the magical side of things.

hana-kami.jpg

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";145851550]There are other Rainbow Bogles players? :-o[/QUOTE]

Not really. I was playing regular boggles and decided to try your list for a few games.

*shrug*
sigmasonicx asked: Is a block where a relatively mundane world has a portal open to a crazy Wonderland+Escher world, letting things into the former, on the short list?

We’ve been moving away from portals in general as we want to make the planeswalkers’ planeswalking special.

ultron87

Went to a new shop for FNM last night. My usual shop's Standard scene is just totally dead and everyone just plays Commander. Tis a shame. This shop is way bigger so it will take a bit to get to know people. There are better players here though, so it will at least help my game. They also stream FNMs so I can have the opportunity of seeing a replay of games with commentary occasionally which could be fun. Will see how it goes.

Unrelatedly, LSV is the new regular Co host of Limited Resources. So that will bump that a few spots up my podcast depth chart.

Crocodile

Unrelatedly, LSV is the new regular Co host of Limited Resources. So that will bump that a few spots up my podcast depth chart.

I was wondering what caused LR to drop Card Kingdom and this explains it pretty well. A pretty big catch for both LR and Channel Fireball I gotta say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom