• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

In 1v1, if my opponent has Leyline of Sanctity out, is that guy just tap draw 2 with no downside?
No, you need a target to activate it.

I
That is also a really weird Uncommon. Feels like a rare.

Rarity in this set is completely bizarre. We have a green Figure of Destiny, a Young Pyromancer variant, and a bear with two utility abilities at mythic, but gigantic dragons that give your other dragons double strike at rare.

I think they're starting to re-evaluate rarity a little bit, basing it more on power level and less on flashiness/"feeling mythic".

Yeef

Rarity in this set is completely bizarre. We have a green Figure of Destiny, a Young Pyromancer variant, and a bear with two utility abilities at mythic, but gigantic dragons that give your other dragons double strike at rare.

I think they're starting to re-evaluate rarity a little bit, basing it more on power level and less on flashiness/"feeling mythic".
It's the same problem they had with Dragon's maze; there's only 10 mythic slots in a small set and one is always taken by a planeswalker, so really 9. This set is all about the conflicts between the khans and the dragons, so they needed a cycle of each. With only 9 available mythic slots, there's no way to fit them all at mythic, so they go in the rare slot.
I think In Dragons of Tarkir, we'll see legendary dragons and other splashy cards at mythic again. They just don't have the space in a small set to do mythic cycles.

kirblar

I'm aware; you're still putting another Draw 2 ability on the stack for each instant in your hand, which is Johnny paradise if not constructed playable. I don't think anyone here is assuming that drawing cards is part of the cost :p
Sure, but I think you're in Magical Christmasland (in constructed) here because of how many cards you're juggling.

Kerrinck

I think In Dragons of Tarkir, we'll see legendary dragons and other splashy cards at mythic again. They just don't have the space in a small set to do mythic cycles.

Yup, since the next edition is more about dragons, I have a feeling they'll switch things up making the Khans rares and the Dragons mythics.

Yeef

Yup, since the next edition is more about dragons, I have a feeling they'll switch things up making the Khans rares and the Dragons mythics.
I don't think there will be any khans at all.

Khans of Tarkir is the future where the khans won the conflict; Dragons of Tarkir is the future where Dragons won the conflict.

Khans has 5 mythic khans.
Fate has 5 rare precursor khans and 5 rare precursor dragons.
Dragons will have 5 mythic dragons.

I don't think there will be any khans at all.

Khans of Tarkir is the future where the khans won the conflict; Dragons of Tarkir is the future where Dragons won the conflict.

Khans has 5 mythic khans.
Fate has 5 rare precursor khans and 5 rare precursor dragons.
Dragons will have 5 mythic dragons.

And Narset is a planeswalker since she no longer has duty to her clan to be a Khan.

bigkrev

This is the kind of stuff that makes me rethink how much money I spend on Cards each year. When they first announced Mythic Rares, I was away from the game, and upon hearing about them, I thought I would never come back. When I saw over the next few sets that outside of Planeswalkers most mythics weren't really constructed cards, I felt better and came back.

I don't want a YGO where there are super hard to get cards that break the hundred dollar mark (or more!) once they become played, but maybe a year later get a much more common reprint that torpedos the price of the original card.

Image.ashx
+
en_b0tvibfd9i.png
= gg

All of the recent spoiled cards are pretty neat. It is a bit odd how there are so many cards that are just "manifest, put +1/+1 counters", but I suppose it makes sense that they are the "vanilla creatures" of the set.

EDIT: Concerning mythic rare, I really don't see what's so different about how it's being handled in this set compared to previous sets that had tournament quality cards there, like Zendikar and Dragon's Maze, so I don't see this as being a change in attitude. Besides, the most expensive cards of Theros block were at regular rare, weren't they? What I do think will be an issue is the inclusion of good cards in small sets as long as the draft format is (Small)-(Large)-(Large). Even if the format changed to S-S-L, there would still be far fewer small set boosters being opened than the large set, assuming one were to draft both formats equally as often, but it would help card availability a lot.

Toxi

Banned
This is the kind of stuff that makes me rethink how much money I spend on Cards each year. When they first announced Mythic Rares, I was away from the game, and upon hearing about them, I thought I would never come back. When I saw over the next few sets that outside of Planeswalkers most mythics weren't really constructed cards, I felt better and came back.

I don't want a YGO where there are super hard to get cards that break the hundred dollar mark (or more!) once they become played, but maybe a year later get a much more common reprint that torpedos the price of the original card.
This is why I like EDH; it's (generally) not as competitive and your cards never cycle out. Good cards also usually don't stop being good thanks to the 1 of rule.

Legacy is fun too, but having a competitive deck requires still buying some new cards. And then there's that wonderful dual lands investment... On one hand, they're likely to not decrease in price unless Legacy starts seeing some big drops in attendance and people stop playing EDH. On the other, they're still a bitch to buy these days.

ultron87

I expect we'll at least get some "where are they now" cards for the Khans khans including the inevitable Planeswalker Narset. Of course it is pretty weird that these same people would be born after their world going on a vastly different path 1200 years ago, but whatever.

On that note, Doug Beyer posted some interesting stuff about how this style of time travel will work. The changes in the past will only affect Tarkir and not the entire multiverse. However, any Planeswalkers who have visited Tarkir could experience some changes to their personal history which would cause some changes on other planes due to things they did/didn't do.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Image.ashx
+
en_b0tvibfd9i.png
= gg

All of the recent spoiled cards are pretty neat. It is a bit odd how there are so many cards that are just "manifest, put +1/+1 counters", but I suppose it makes sense that they are the "vanilla creatures" of the set.

Yeah, that gets dirty and quick.

Firemind

Threaten is going to be so good in this format.

Also LOL at antlers, jaw and body shape. Guess my money is on Dragons of Tharkir.

bigkrev

EDIT: Concerning mythic rare, I really don't see what's so different about how it's being handled in this set compared to previous sets that had tournament quality cards there, like Zendikar and Dragon's Maze, so I don't see this as being a change in attitude. Besides, the most expensive cards of Theros block were at regular rare, weren't they? What I do think will be an issue is the inclusion of good cards in small sets as long as the draft format is (Small)-(Large)-(Large). Even if the format changed to S-S-L, there would still be far fewer small set boosters being opened than the large set, assuming one were to draft both formats equally as often, but it would help card availability a lot.

Dragon's Maze- half of the Mythics (Council of the Absolute, Dreadbridge Chant, Master of Cruelties, Progenitor Mimic and Reap Intellect) are Constructed unplayables, There is a Legendary Land and a Planeswalker (Obvious Mythics), A nice Timmy card (Savageborn Hydra), and a multicolored vampire with a lot of big numbers in it's textbox. Legion's Initiative ended up bulk as well, but people thought it might be good.

It's only Voice of Resurgance that stands out, and they admitted that they made a last minute change with that card and the G/W Mazerunner. Meanwhile at normal rare, there are lots of generically powerful cards that stand out as Standard staples-Advent of the Wurm, Aetherling, Blood Scriniver, ,Notion Theif, Render Silent, Renounce the Guilds, Skylasher, Sire of Insanity (even though some did not see any play).

Zendikar- there are only a few constructed playable mythics here- Iona (in eternal formats), Eldrazi Monument, Mindbreak Trap (eternal formats), and Warren Instigator (which amounted to nothing). The only real issue card is Lotus Cobra- which, if you remove the name from it, feels like an uncommon instead of a Mythic.

It just feels a lot worse this time around because it's more than just one outlier this time around.

On that note, Doug Beyer posted some interesting stuff about how this style of time travel will work. The changes in the past will only affect Tarkir and not the entire multiverse. However, any Planeswalkers who have visited Tarkir could experience some changes to their personal history which would cause some changes on other planes due to things they did/didn't do.
It's a bit silly to specify that the entire Multiverse won't be affected, but planeswalkers who visited may have their histories affected, when one of the planeswalkers is Nicol Bolas, who plays a large part in many block stories.

Wouldn't the whole event where Sarkhan sparked not happen?
Maybe Sarkhan A will go back to the present and encounter Sarkhan B, who is not a planeswalker, but is happily living among the not!Temur or something. Now the question is, will Sorin get a new card in Dragons, called Sorin, Happy Visitor, since he'll presumably run into Ugin as soon as he arrives?

Huh, I thought they decided against power based reanimation for exactly that reason. I guess they decided it would be nice as a once in a while thing.

Random sweet things I could think of to bring back (across all formats):

Bane of Progress
Trostani's Summoner
Hornet Queen
Bear's Companion
Big Game Hunter
Splicers
Huntmaster of the Fells
Knight of the Reliquary
Mardu Hordechief (in Limited, this sounds pretty sweet).
Ponyback Brigade (also sweet in Limited)

Possible pattern: Putting the word "who" in the name of any Magic card ups its chances of being sketchy broken. Also, they seem to all be Legendary.

red13th

I was going to ask if this was a first draft (it would be pretty good for a first draft) but I saw you said you copied it from elsewhere. Do you actually have this built or are you about to build it? If you've built it, have you and your friends played with it (getting feedback from your play group is pretty important)?

I'm building it, still several money cards away. I think I'll only have it finished in a few months. I'll wait to see what MM2 brings to the table too.
I took a 540 modern list (I didn't know how to search for smaller cubes, yeah) and cut several cards to get to 360. It's not "my cube" in that sense but it started as a bigger one so there might be less-than-adequate choices because of that. divisonbyzorro helped a lot by spotting some subpar cards and since I'm still building the deck I have leeway when it comes to replacements.

Since this Cube seems to be taking a "Most Powerful Cards in Modern" approach, the only critique I have right now is that some sweet cards seems to be missing and some marginal ones seem to be included. Of course being Modern restricted means for some of these cards it may be hard to find better replacements :/ I'm a bit pressed for time so I can't go color by color though. As for a few general helpful tips:

Thanks for the tips! Since the cube is small I'm also aiming for cards that can fit several decks which is why I added a lot of hybrids. Trying to steer away from CC or CCC costs but sometimes it's hard to do that, for instance white 2 drops (several WW) and 3 drops in general.

One of the problems with having a lot of hybrid cards is that it makes it difficult to give the color combo it's own identity, especially since he's only running three gold card per guild. I think it's important for the colors to have payoff cards that you can expect to wheel if nobody else is playing those colors. If your Selesnya section has three cards, and two of them are Finks (staple) and Militant (not really a staple), there's only one other Selesnya card in the entire draft that's a "payoff" for being in that combination. I think that's a very real downside of going heavy hybrid. In general, I avoid hybrid except in cases where the card is a staple (Finks, Redcap, and to a lesser extent, Cackler) and/or the quality is so high that I can't cut it. I have five cards per guild (405 cards in the cube), so I feel like I'm isolated from this effect and it doesn't bother me so much.

I suppose if you went all-hybrid, that would make for an interesting take on it though.

I would agree about the supplemental printings. That would give you access to Baleful Strix, Brago, Shardless Agent, Song of the Dryads, etc. I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of right now.

The high amount of hybrids is because since the cube is small I wanted cards to be less narrow. It comes at a price though, as you said, Selesnya in particular is the biggest offender IMO (so many GW cards I wanted in). Dimir is another weird mix because I really wanted Tezzeret for artifact deck but he doesn't really go well with Specter and Far/Away... some stuff is bugging me. Card choices are definitely not set in stone anyway, my only true pet card is SoFI (and SFM to a lesser extent) which is shoe in.

kirblar

You think this puts an end to Sarkhan's story? Or that the Sarkhan we have now will co-exist alongside the new timeline one
They kinda have a glut of red walkers (esp given +Narset), so shelving him for a bit makes sense. He already has a few cards.

Possible pattern: Putting the word "who" in the name of any Magic card ups its chances of being sketchy broken. Also, they seem to all be Legendary.

Which ones are you thinking of? Gatherer only returns like 6 cards and none of them are good.

He Who Hungers
Yomiji Who Bars the Way
Oyobi Who Split the Heavens
Boseiju Who Shelters All (the only constructed-playable card in the bunch)
Ichigo Who Topples Oaks (flip side of Budoka Pupil)
Who/What/When/Where/Why (cube-worthy due to Isochron Scepter)

Sidenote: In Unglued Part 3, they NEED to do a double-sided flip card with Morph.

OnPoint

They kinda have a glut of red walkers (esp given +Narset), so shelving him for a bit makes sense. He already has a few cards.

It would be interesting from a story perspective as well, since his whole story arc would be complete.

- Hi I'm Sarkhan I really like dragons
- I'm mad there are no dragons to worship here
- Hey I can planeswalk now (also dead people), let's go find a dragon to worship
- I found Nicol Bolas, yay, I'm also kind of crazy now, boo
- I freed the Eldrazi in a Bolas scheme but I got beat
- Bolas was cool with that
- Off to Tarkir because of voice in my head
- Off to the past because of voice in my head
- Change history, save dragons
- No more need to planeswalk, dragons are here!

It's weird to think they could wrap his tortured story up so neatly.

Alesha rocks, I am totes making a new Mardu Commander deck now.

I thought Ugin's Fate was only going to contain alt-art reprints from Khans?

Nope, it's a mix of KTK and FRF cards.

This seems like the most complicated set I can remember. So many words on every card!

In terms of comprehension complexity it isn't even close to Time Spiral, much less Future Sight. In terms of board complexity, KTK/FRF isn't going to even get close to LOR/MOR. But it's definitely the most complex set since New World Order -- Rosewater says Rise of the Eldrazi but I wouldn't agree.

Hey, they fixed Blue removal (sorry, "transformation") so that it actually works more like Polymorph and is not completely color pie breaking.

It should still go to the bottom of the library instead of exile. :/

You think this puts an end to Sarkhan's story?

If they do this (and I never considered it until today, but it kind of makes too much sense) it means they can stash him on neo-Tarkir for awhile, then have him re-spark in some future story. Though they could also just ditch him and give Koth, Tibalt, etc. a chance to shine.

You guys I think Tasigur is going to be a break-out card in this set.

With a fetchland and a Thought Scour you can have him down on turn 2. That's Tarmogoyf-level. And its 5 toughness means it passes the Siege Rhino test. Plus it has a good ability on top of that. I'm sure it will find its place in Standard too.

I just ordered 2 playsets for 1.99 per card. I'm thinking it's going to go up from here.

kirblar

You guys I think Tasigur is going to be a break-out card in this set.

With a fetchland and a Thought Scour you can have him down on turn 2. That's Tarmogoyf-level. And its 5 toughness means it passes the Siege Rhino test. Plus it has a good ability on top of that. I'm sure it will find its place in Standard too.

I just ordered 2 playsets for 1.99 per card. I'm thinking it's going to go up from here.
He's a Legend. That's a big deal. But yes, he's very playable in Modern as a 1-2x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom