• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

Vent post ahead.

Early December, someone on PucaTrade agreed to send me 2x City of Traitors and 1x Niv-Mizzet GP Promo. Came to a little over 30,000 points.

He waited over three weeks to mail them out. Apparently, he was waiting to see if I wanted some german foils listed on his profile, which I had rejected several times because he priced them significantly higher than Korean or Russian.

I got the package two days ago, and, naturally, the niv-mizzet was played and one of the Cities was missing entirely. Opened a case that got completely ignored, he stopped responding to my messages, and I haven't heard a peep from the admins.

Seems like the site is starting to get flooded with sharks and bad traders. Every single legacy staple under $150 has a gigantic list of people waiting for it, EDH jank instantly vanishes from want lists, etc. There's also a growing segment of traders who think the "NM only" policy is bullshit, and mail out cards in whatever condition they have them. Naturally, they act as if you're being unreasonable if you ask for a refund.

Maybe I'll have a friend PM the guy about his $100 playset of FNM Probes to see if he's still on the site...

I think I got it now with this post for whatever reason, also never register the The before, BttF?

Yeah, it's a reference to the Enchantment Under the Sea dance in Back to the Future.

Mardu Scout would be quite good in a deck running Purphoros. Ghastly Conscription seems fun.

Lucario

Sounds like magiccardmarket, but without the regulations and insurances.

The thing is, he's not gaining anything from this. The site acts as escrow until the receiver confirms the trade, so he doesn't even have my points.

Maybe he's just outstandingly lazy?

Firemind

The thing is, he's not gaining anything from this. The site acts as escrow until the receiver confirms the trade, so he doesn't even have my points.

Maybe he's just outstandingly lazy?
Who pays for shipping in case the trade goes bad? The entire premise sounds great in theory, but with any new platform, people are going to try to circumvent the rules to dupe people out of money. Shit, people attend GPs just to steal binders and backpacks. People are the worst.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't get the thread title someone help.

I've watched maybe 20% of the first BttF movie.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So like Ugin is the professor and Sorin is Marty???

B63IxSoCQAAc8Ys.jpg
For Brimaz and dashing dragons.

ZServ

Here's a fairly budget build of U/R Delver I've been running in modern.

Browbeat can be cut, but it's pretty hilarious when people eventually realize 5 damage will kill them so they give you a mini-treasure cruise instead. Winterflame is absurdly good, it's nuts. Steam Augury is pretty iffy currently, but it could easily be the manabase. Smoldering Spires teeters somewhere between "really good" and "god dammit this fucking card again" in my testing.

Regardless, pretty budget version of delver that does decently well. Really though, once someone buys the fetches you have dang near full on Delver as-is. One thing I can say for sure is
the deck runs better than MTGO
. Open to suggestions, or if y'all have decks you want a second opinion on I'd love to see the lists.

Regarding Standard: I'm feelin' a deck with Scroll of Masters, Monastery Swiftspear and the 3/1 Dash goblin. Only time will tell how bad I am at building it.

ZServ

Don't tell me that Electrolyze is out of your price range or something...

It isn't. I just don't really prefer it on a personal level. The draw a card is nice, but I've never had issues with the amount of cards in my hand, nor with Winterflame dealing damage specifically to creatures rather than creatures or players. In my experience, the end goal of the deck is play Delver, flip him, protect him. Young Pyro keeps you alive with chump blockers, yeah you occasionally win a game with swinging him (or the tokens) but he's also meant to protect Delver. Same with Swiftspear, except Swifty makes a sweet blocker as well. Now, granted, that's not to say Pyro and Swifty can't win games by themselves (because they can, and do), but Winterflame is a personal preference.

Splitting damage is better than not splitting.
Draw a card is way, way better than "tap a thing."

Feel free to stick with preference, but Electrolyze is leagues better than Winterflame.

Real talk here guys.

Should I put Rocket-Powered Turbo Slug into my Peasant cube? I don't currently have any other un-cards in there, although this could open the door to put Booster Tutor in there too.

ZServ

Have all mythics for FRF been revealed yet?

Yes.

Splitting damage is better than not splitting.
Draw a card is way, way better than "tap a thing."

Feel free to stick with preference, but Electrolyze is leagues better than Winterflame.

I don't know if you're trying to be blunt or just rude here, but my reasoning was specifically regarding getting extra damage through. Assuming a board state of the opponent having more than one creature up, I prefer Winterflame because I can likely squeak in extra damage from an additional creature swinging. Of the ten most played creatures in modern, Electrolyze guaranteed kills 6 of them, and draws a card. Winterflame guaranteed kills 6 of them, and guaranteed slows 10 of them. It's more a discussion of the inherent value of any random card in the deck over the flexibility of more soft control.

It also differs in that Electrolyze is a bit better when fetches are decreasing your likelihood of drawing into a dead-draw land.

I never said splitting damage wasn't better than not splitting. Granted, I don't think it's always better (I'd take Lightning Bolt over Forked Bolt any day of the week).

Although now I'm curious as to how replacing Browbeat with Electrolyze would go.. hrm.

Phew, just got back from Mexico, man do foils bend fast in the humidity ^_^

Here's the match video of my deck I promised to link before: Scapeshift vs Rainbow Bogles

Missed the week of spoilers so I'm catching up, but there looks to be some spicy stuff! Still no cheap delve enablers, though, and I'm not sure whether Tasigur is better than Hooting Mandrills yet -_-

Alesha seems nutty, but I'm super suspicious of anything at 3+ mana that dies to Magma Jet. Getting Back the Queen or Clever Impersonator or Gray Merchant seems fun though. So with Alesha, Sylvan Caryatid, Hornet Queen and the new Phoenix in a deck, that's already a potential 4/4 Flying, Haste, Hexproof, First Strike, Deathtouch Soulflayer.

ElyrionX

Will the functional reprint of Shock have any impact on the Jeskai decks? I'm not sure if Magma Jet is still being played but this would seem like a straightforward replacement of that card in the decks that use it. Plus, it would also enable more Prowess shenanigans especially with Monastery Mentor.

Kerrinck

Shock can hit players, which is more relevant especially in a format where u/b control is a thing.
Yup, there's nothing sadder than ripping a spray from the top when your opponent is on lethal range. That's why I always prefer pillar instead of spray on modern.

Firemind

Jet guys. Not Spray.
Oh in that case I don't see why they can't be played together. Monastery Mentor is basically a souped up Young Pyromancer, so it makes sense to build a deck around him in a Jeskai Burn style shell akin to the Boros Burn deck of last year, splashing blue for Jeskai Charm and Treasure Cruise/Dig Through Time. You have the new Shock in the one slot, Magma Jet, Lightning Strike, Searing Blood in the two slot, Jeskai Charm in the three slot and Stoke the Flames in the four slot. Best of all, Chained to the Rocks, Chandra and Sarkhan trigger Monastery Mentor, which is an added plus compared to Young Pyromancer.

Cards on the short list for my silver border-infused cube that I want to eventually build:

-Rocket-powered Turbo Slug
-Who/What/Where/When/Why
-Vile Bile
-City of Ass
-Frazzled Editor
-Rare-B-Gone
-Look at Me, I'm R&D
-Richard Garfield, PhD
-Blast from the Past

I'm open to other suggestions too!

Frazzled Editor is really good, actually. I just don't want to dip too far into un-territory, and Editor completely changes the valuation of cards in a way that I'm not a huge fan of. Slug has a black-bordered mechanic on it, and Booster Tutor isn't all that dissimilar to a Conspiracy card. And since my cube is 405 cards, Booster Tutor is really interesting in that you have a reasonable chance of being able to predict what you might get in future castings, without knowing for sure.

I've talked myself into it - I'm going to order a Slug and a Booster Tutor for my cube.

For your cube - I can't believe you haven't mentioned Frankie Peanuts yet. Just make sure that your players know that he can't actually be used to force your opponent to concede.

Arksy

Hey guys, reporting in for the last FNM before the new set comes out. I know you're probably all too busy focusing on FRF but I just wanted to report.

Came in at 6/25.

Went 2-0, 1-2, 2-0, 1-1.

Incredibly happy with the result. Made an Abzan deck with lots of hard removal. I'll post up the deck soon!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey guys, reporting in for the last FNM before the new set comes out. I know you're probably all too busy focusing on FRF but I just wanted to report.

Came in at 6/25.

Went 2-0, 1-2, 2-0, 1-1.

Incredibly happy with the result. Made an Abzan deck with lots of hard removal. I'll post up the deck soon!

Noice

bigkrev

Considering none of the articles have previews today, I'm guessing the full spoiler is going up at some point today (it wasn't up as of 11:30)

bigkrev

Full spoiler a-go-go!
en_yptuko26xj.png

Could be playable over Erase in some cases
en_686grbg2qw.png

FUCK THIS FUCKING CARD ARE YOU SHITTING ME YOU MADE INVISIBLE STALKER AGAIN YOU IDIOTS
en_8k9kwipkxp.png

I guess the Tolarian Winds ability is in black now?

Dark Deal combos with Spirit of the Labyrinth. The interaction is actually sort of sick

Edit: I missed the symmetry of Dark Deal. Still though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom