• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

20 Minutes later I'm still seething.

I can't believe they thought that card was OK to print. Its a cheap evasive Hexproof guy WITH UPSIDE (of turning face up). I really want to know the process that led to this card existing.

en_686grbg2qw.png

FUCK THIS FUCKING CARD ARE YOU SHITTING ME YOU MADE INVISIBLE STALKER AGAIN YOU IDIOTS

yesss

Although, this is more indicative of mono-blue coming back than aura hexproof. Oh wait, UW heroic LOL

Toxi

Banned
20 Minutes later I'm still seething.

I can't believe they thought that card was OK to print. Its a cheap evasive Hexproof guy WITH UPSIDE (of turning face up). I really want to know the process that led to this card existing.
It's fucking poison to limited. Why doesn't Wizards get that?

What does it do, can't see imgur atm.

name= Sage's Reverie
cmc= 3W

enchantment aura

When Sage's Reverie ETB's, draw a card for each aura you control that's attached to a creature.

Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each aura you control that's attached to a creature

Yeef

It's fucking poison to limited. Why doesn't Wizards get that?
There's plenty of reach, fliers and enchantment removal in the set. I don't think it'll be as big a problem in limited as it looks at first blush.

More importantly, Goblin Boom Keg art is wonderful:

en_lfc000yy8m.png

Toxi

Banned
There's plenty of reach, fliers and enchantment removal in the set. I don't think it'll be as big a problem in limited as it looks at first blush.
I didn't see many fliers in triple Khans limited. Still, there is a lot of Reach, and at least there's only one pack of Fate Reforged.

kirblar

Full spoiler indicates pretty strongly that the colorless theme will be in DTK (due to Ugin surviving), not just Zendikar in the fall.

kirblar

Tea leaves, they are strong on this one. Been obvious since about a year and a half ago when MaRo started asking questions about expectations about the Eldrazi Legend/Annhilator if/when we came back to Zendikar, and he had the firm answer of "No, we'll see new ones, not reprints. Annihilator is dead." 2 months later.

Yeef

I don't think we'll go to Zendikar next. It's atypical for them to follow a single storyline in adjacent blocks. I think it's more likely that we end up in Zendikar either next spring or the following fall.

I don't think we'll go to Zendikar next. It's atypical for them to follow a single storyline in adjacent blocks. I think it's more likely that we end up in Zendikar either next spring or the following fall.
They did say they wanted to bring back since of that Weatherlight-style serial storytelling.

OnPoint

I'd be FLOORED if they didn't at this point based on previous hints.

ultron87

They did say they wanted to bring back since of that Weatherlight-style serial storytelling.

I feel like it would be odd for them to go to the two block structure in part to solve this problem:

#4—The Storytelling Issue

Just as design and development have worked hard over the years to evolve the mechanics of the game, so too has creative worked hard to evolve how the story of the game is told. We now have an ongoing cast of Planeswalkers and a portfolio of worlds to visit. The problem is that the pace of the storytelling is dictated by the blocks. Each block really wants to tell one story, which means that the overall pace of the storytelling is slow.

and then immediately spent 6 consecutive sets (with a core set break) on the Eldrazi/Ugin story.

Admittedly a lot of the storylines are pointing in the direction of Zendikar, but there's enough else happening (New Phyrexia, Liliana and Garruk's curse, Elspeth in the Theros underworld, whatever Jace is doing) that I feel like they'd want to at least touch on something else for a bit. Though they might use the final core set as a way to touch on a lot of these smaller stories without dedicating a full block to them.

It's a common theory that the next block will be Return to Zendikar / Zen-Deux-Kar / whatever.

Anyway, card comments:
Pressure Point - Great that they made this a card, but it's a shame we don't have a Kenshiro-flavored functional reprint of Royal Assassin.
Sage's Reverie - This looks pretty good.
Cloudform - I am surprised that they printed this, but it isn't much better than Aven Fleetwing and the aura can be removed.
Refocus - Interesting that they made a mirrored version of Pressure Point, but the art on this is a lot dorkier.
Shifting Loyalties - Interesting effect.
Dark Deal - I'm surprised to see this effect in black.
Fearsome Awakening - This seems like it could be a nice reanimation effect.
Grave Strength - This is an interesting effect in black.
Merciless Executioner - Interesting to see a functional reprint of Fleshbag Marauder. Will this have a place in Standard?
Orc Sureshot - This seems like it could be good.
Typhoid Rats - The Innistrad art is better, and had more than one rat.
Bloodfire Enforcers - And instant and sorcery? Odd effect.
Break the Line - Interesting to see a repeatable Goblin Tunneler effect. Plus, we haven't seen that effect in general for a few blocks, right?
Collateral Damage - Alas, poor Lightning Bolt.
Dragonrage - Really interesting effect.
Mob Rule - This could be a really powerful effect in Limited.
Vaultbreaker - I really like this effect.
Hunt the Weak - I like this art.
Map the Wastes - Hmm, I'm guessing we'll see a lot of "add one mana to an existing spell, bolster 1" in Dragons of Tarkir.
Ruthless Instincts - Untap, reach, deathtouch--what I've always wanted! The boost alternative is just gravy.
Sudden Reclamation - This seems like it could be pretty good.

It looks like they spoiled all the flashiest and best cards in the previews. Nothing really jumps out as having sleeper potential (at least in the rare slot. Might be some good uncommons)

kirblar

I feel like it would be odd for them to go to the two block structure in part to solve this problem:

and then immediately spent 6 consecutive sets (with a core set break) on the Eldrazi/Ugin story.

Admittedly a lot of the storylines are pointing in the direction of Zendikar, but there's enough else happening (New Phyrexia, Liliana and Garruk's curse, Elspeth in the Theros underworld, whatever Jace is doing) that I feel like they'd want to at least touch on something else for a bit. Though they might use the final core set as a way to touch on a lot of these smaller stories without dedicating a full block to them.
They've said (pre-KTK) that they were about to change up the storytelling. It's going to get more serialized, the two-block structure kinda mandates it in a lot of ways, since more will be happening.

ZServ

en_686grbg2qw.png

FUCK THIS FUCKING CARD ARE YOU SHITTING ME YOU MADE INVISIBLE STALKER AGAIN YOU IDIOTS

Iono, man. This card doesn't compare to Invisible Stalker in the slightest. It might be more of an issue in Standard than it should be, but my kneejerk reaction to this card is that it sucks. While Invisible Stalker was a 1/1 Unblockable Hexproof, this is a 2/2 Flying Hexproof which (while similar) is pretty terrible. Remember, there was also that Warrior in M14 that was Unblockable, which pretty much means that it's the Hexproof part that is relevant. Unfortunately that doesn't mean jack-diddly in a format with HEAVY enchantment removal. Standard is filled to the brim with it currently.

Remember, Invisible Stalker DID have downsides in that it dies to field clears of really any sort, be it Wrath, Pyroclasm, Anger of the Gods, etc. This still has all of those issues, but it's also a target for those shitty green kill cards that deal damage only to creatures with flying. And enchantment removal, on top of that. This card is really really bad in comparison to Invisible Stalker.

Still dope as fuck in limited, though. The dream would be manifesting a dragon for luls

ZServ

More kneejerk reactions:

Sieges are bad.
Wandering Champion is dope. Probably terrible, but still dope.
Marang River Prowler is insane in limited.
Abzan Advantage is really terrible. Bolster 1 is probably never gonna be worth the extra mana in such an expensive standard format.
Isn't Arashin Cleric a functional reprint of the monk from Zendikar block? Never mad about that.
Break Through the Line scares me. I foresee tons of rogue decks that use Swiftspear, give the all-clear then start piling them there prowess triggers.. It's pretty bad, but I love it nonetheless.
Aven Skirmisher is decent. 1/1 Flying for 1? Okay.
Fascination is sweet. Bad, but sweet. Think it'll go in my cube.
Collateral Damage is awesome. I will buy 4.
Rakshasa's Disdain *seems* scary in something like Storm. Thinking it's likely trash though.
Grave Strength is insane. I think much better players than I could come up with a G/B janky reanimation theme that tosses things to the graveyard, uses those to buff cards in hand, then reanimate the important dudes like a toolbox.
Sage's Reverie seems decent, but I think it might be a bit expensive for Bogles to run.
Sultai Skullkeeper is the DKA zombie, but not a zombie? Okay. That card was enjoyable.
Winds of Qal Sisma: FUCK YEAH ANOTHER FOG YES YES YES I AM LEGITIMATELY EXCITED
Abzan Beastmaster seems *really* good in Stompies. Minus, the uh, y'know, not swinging him part.
Mardu Scout is sweet.
Always happy about a Typhoid Rats reprint.
Humble Defector is awesome.
Monastery Mentor is probably good in Token decks, but I'm not sure of any in Modern that want him off the top of my head.
Wild Slash is great.
Reality Shift seems modern playable. Exile a Delver/Goyf/Swiftspear in response to them swinging? Who knows.
Valorous Stance is really good. Really, really good. Going in my cube for sure.
Soulflayer seems really good, too. As does Goblin Heelcutter. God, I love bad cards way more than I should.
Dromoka seems insane in a dragon EDH deck.
Harsh Sustenance is playable.

y2dvd

Random thoughts on non-rares.

Orc Archer - Pretty cool for limited. -3/-3 casting Hordeling Outburt or the 3 1/1 warrior tokens spell.
Temur Battle Rage - Holy cow limited blowout!
Aven Skirmisher - Could be in some Weenie Warriors deck
Sandblast - Enough damage to kill off Seige Rhino. I rather play Devouring Light, but dmg means you can have lifegain with SOulfire on the field.
Valorous Stance - I still think this will see lots of constructed play
Diplomancy of the Wastes - Thoughtseizes for 3cmc. Why not?
Break through the Lines - Dont think it will see play
Bloodfire Enforcers - I think it can be good enough to see contructed play

Firemind

Where are mah dragons? I was promised dragons.

Pretty funny that there's a card called Bath in Dragonfire, but none of the dragons have firebreathing or art where they're depicted as firebreathing dragons. Tarkir is tamer than Equestria.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";146706083]GOD WHY DO ALL THE DELVE ENABLERS SUCK SO BAD[/QUOTE]

I would rather they not be too good. Forgetting how many offbeat powerhouses start with "put lots of things in the yard" is how we got unbalanced Dredge

Pretty funny that there's a card called Bath in Dragonfire, but none of the dragons have firebreathing or art where they're depicted as firebreathing dragons. Tarkir is tamer than Equestria.

Eh, there's firebreathing on these cards.
en_29gulmuzay.png
en_ebf2g2jbkm.png
en_n6lac29pxn.png
en_hnu9207c6v.png

And you act like "tamer than Equestria" means something. Although I suppose the world of the original MLP cartoon is even less tame than Equestria.

Toxi

Banned

The RG dragons are firebreathers. Check out Frontier Siege's artwork.
Eh, there's firebreathing on these cards.
en_29gulmuzay.png

And you act like "tamer than Equestria" means something. Although I suppose the world of the original MLP cartoon is even less tame than Equestria.
Nah, that's a laser.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Friend's thinking of going to the FRF prelease. He's an experienced Magic player but sat out KTK.

What clan should he choose?

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
So with the entire set now spoiled, I'm kinda interested in making a Manifest-themed deck for the fun of it, so I thought something up. I haven't really built a deck before, so some advice would be welcome. Seems to me like Bant is the way to go for Manifest decks;
Bant Manifest Madness said:
Creatures (18)
3x Whisperwood Elemental [FRF]
4x Icefeather Aven [KTK]
3x Master of Pearls [KTK]
4x Hooded Hydra [KTK]
2x Temur Sabretooth [FRF]
2x Temur Charger [KTK]

Enchantments (13)
4x Trail of Mystery [KTK]
4x Secret Plans [KTK]
3x Cloudform [FRF]
2x Lightform [FRF]

Instants & Sorceries (5)
4x Reality Shift [FRF]
1x End Hostilities [KTK]

Lands (24)
4x Forest
4x Island
4x Plains
4x Temple of Mystery [THS]
3x Temple of Plenty [BNG]
3x Temple of Enlightenment [BNG]
2x Yavimaya Coast [M15]
I haven't really thought about a sideboard, but more End Hostilities would be nice ( Because sacrifice Whisperwood Elemental / Bounce with Indestructible Sabretooth / Get Snake Tokens with Hooded Hydra and don't give a fuck ). Maybe Kheru Spellsnatcher ( Because 3U counter target spell and play a copy without paying its mana cost is hilarious )? Soul Summons for when you need more early power?

Sadly, a Manifest-centered deck will likely get worse when the scry-lands rotate, because with them, you have at least a tiny bit of control over what you manifest.

I thought about putting Courser of Kruphix in so you could take out the lands before they Manifest, but then realized it would probably be pretty stupid to reveal all your Manifest creatures to your opponent before you even Manifest them. :-/

ultron87

I hadn't really considered the conundrum of the face down manifest creature in limited till now. With Morphs you can have a reasonable guess at the things they might turn up and the degree to which they would wreck you. But with a Manifest it could be any creature they could possibly cast with their currently untapped mana while it also has a high probability of being a non-creature and being unable to do anything at all (assuming they took a blind flip off the top). I guess the randomness will probably make it so more often than not the right play will be assuming it isn't a card that destroys you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom