• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Eh, there's firebreathing on these cards.
I meant Dragon cards; not cards with random dragon art. I thought Destructor Dragon was breathing radioactive fumes or something, but I see your point. I suppose it's a good thing they're shying away from firebreathing since it isn't really all that interesting of an ability.

Toxi

Banned
I meant Dragon cards; not cards with random dragon art. I thought Destructor Dragon was breathing radioactive fumes or something, but I see your point. I suppose it's a good thing they're shying away from firebreathing since it isn't really all that interesting of an ability.
I like having different breath abilities; seeing all the dragons shoot fire would become repetitive in Dragons of Tarkir.

Plus, the Dromoka lasers remind me of Godzilla's atomic breath.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If TWoo was an Arthurian knight, he would be called Sir Rampsalot.

Fun combo though.

Firemind

Needs a 4cc constructed playable dragon to truly soar imo, but it probably won't be printed. When was the last time? Fledgling Dragon? And before that Rathi Dragon? Rakdos Pit Dragon only saw fringe play in legacy I believe.

No, Chameleon Colossus doesn't count.

Crocodile

Considering this set is Delve's last hurrah for a good while most of the new Delve cards except the legend kind of suck. A shame - I at least wanted that Delve counterspell (Logic Knot doesn't count because it sucks) before they abandoned the mechanic for a few years :/

Other than that missed opportunity and a surprising number of functional reprints, the set looks good. Lots of potential Cube cards and stuff that is sure to shake up multiple constructed formats :)

MTG Salvation is surprisingly optimistic/enthusiastic for this set (not as if that means much :p). I haven't seen any "_________ is the worst set since Homelands" thread yet and those usually show up days before the full spoiler :p.

You goobers. Flying isn't even closing to unblockable, and killing the enchantment removes the hexproof. Simmer down.

Seriously. Seeing people freak out about non-cards or cards that are merely good rather than degenerate (which is closer to where I feel Cloudform lies) is kind of annoying. Card Evaluation, how does it work? :p

I would rather they not be too good. Forgetting how many offbeat powerhouses start with "put lots of things in the yard" is how we got unbalanced Dredge

3e3.jpg

Sets that get a sequel revisit are going to get it between 6 and 10 years later (sooner is too fast, later and the players who remember the block aren't around to enjoy it.) The last return was Ravnica; the worlds since then are Dominaria (a special case), Lorwyn (confirmed to never return), Alara (not all that popular and it's way too soon to do a third gold-themed set after RTR and KTK), and then Zendikar (the start of MTG's current meteoric rise and a wildly popular set), so Zendikar is obviously the next return, and 2015 marks six years since it first appeared.

When we do revisit Zendikar, we'll be looking at a world that has two distinguishing themes -- lands (colorless permanents) and eldrazi (also colorless permanents.)

KTK's storyline tightly integrates into Zendikar's with Ugin, and it contains a bit of a super-minor colorless theme with stuff like Ugin, the "destroy cards with one or more colors" stuff, and cards like Ghostfire Blade, which certainly suggests that there could be a minor colorless theme in DTK that benefits from the fact that morphs are colorless.

I'm not 100% the 2015 fall set will be Zendikar, but only because I think it's gonna be the 2016 spring set instead.

kirblar

Innistrad is likely up on the docket within the first 3 years of the two-block cycle. The more interesting question is whether we'll see DFCs before then or not.

Where are mah dragons? I was promised dragons.

It has eleven, that's a lot of dragons for one set!

Oh shit son

Rosewater already said the evergreen list will be changing and this is the second heavy-handed hint he's dropped about prowess. Get ready, it's happening.

Innistrad is likely up on the docket within the first 3 years of the two-block cycle. The more interesting question is whether we'll see DFCs before then or not.

Yeah, Innistrad is also 100% returning and that gets us five blocks (besides the ZEN return) for it to potentially turn up in.

I'm still not sure what their DFC plan is. They changed the card face in part to support a new collation system, so I would have assumed that we'd see them leveraging that for DFCs pretty quickly. As long as they can only be a rare thing they've got a bit of a challenge with how to use them since people will flip if they don't show up in Innistrad 2 but the more interesting ways to use them all involve deviating pretty far from the ISD usage.

Crocodile

I can't imagine they do Innistrad again without DFC. Though now that Avacyn is back, what is the conflict for the plane? The Eldrazi arrive or some shit? Still, should make for a great limited format with the original Innistrad as a strong inspiration/starting point.

Innistrad, Rise of the Eldrazi and Lorwyn are top 3 limited formats and I look forward to their returns. Shame Lorwyn might be a hard sell - fuck everybody who didn't love that set, y'all suck :( *pouts*

OnPoint

I can't imagine they do Innistrad again without DFC. Though now that Avacyn is back, what is the conflict for the plane? The Eldrazi arrive or some shit? Still, should make for a great limited format with the original Innistrad as a strong inspiration/starting point.

There's the whole situation where Avacyn's origin (created by Sorin, i.e. black magic, vampire) might cause some sort of conflict, whether it be internally or through those who worship her. There are also all kinds of demons there still, if they wanted to go deeper into the Angels Vs Demons style of tale-telling.

Whoo, Rainbow Bogles does it again! Back to back Modern FNMs in the bag. Won another box which is nice.

Twice as many people showed up this week, which is pretty cool.

Round One: Grixis Midrange 2-0
- Cool brew that unfortunately never got off the ground.

Round Two: Rhino Pod 0-2
- No matter what I do, I can't get this matchup to go any better. I have like a 30% win rate in games against Pod, and I've tried pretty much everything I can think of.

Round Three: Pyromancer Ascension Storm 2-0
- really tight race, almost lost game two by casting inquisition instead of just holding up mana for Spell Pierce on turn 3.

Round Four: Ensoul Affinity 2-0
- One of the best matchups for bogles, combinations of Mortal Obstinacy, Flamespeaker's Will and Daybreaks made the matchup a relatively smooth one.

Round Five: Temur Midrange 2-0
- My opponent gets a game loss for presenting a deck with sideboard cards in it, then I get a great start on the draw and my opponent doesn't have enough room to react. Unfortunate, but better at FNM than a PTQ.

Round Six: UR Delver 2-1
- A really strange series of matches against my teammate for GP San Jose. It was recorded so I'll post it up when I see it go up, but it involves me winning a game with auraless creatures and four Paths to Exile.

Going into the tournament, I made some small changes from last week's list. I cut a Madcap from the main, moving a Flamespeaker's Will in from the side. I saw some people testing Storm before the tournament so I used the last slot in the side for a copy of Rest in Peace.

brb learning Rhino Pod

Tons of lifegain, abrupt decay, mainboard spellskites, rec sage and Qasali Pridemage. Thoughtseize out of the board.

The deck just has too high of a density of raw hate for bogles. Pod and Junk are definitely the worst matchups for bogles, and it's not good if you expect to run into 2-3 BG players a tournament.

I mean, I brought in a Torpor Orb, a Grafdigger's Cage, a Stony Silence and a playset of Inquisitions and I still don't feel like I'm even fighting back sometimes.

Shame Lorwyn might be a hard sell - fuck everybody who didn't love that set, y'all suck :( *pouts*

This man gets it.

I can't wait for the Eldrazi to invade a previously established plane.

Oh yes. I don't even care if it's Eldrazi, Phyrexians, Bolas, or something else entirely, whoever wipes that shitstain Ravnica off the map of the Multiverse forever will have my eternal gratitude.

Firemind

Oh yes. I don't even care if it's Eldrazi, Phyrexians, Bolas, or something else entirely, whoever wipes that shitstain Ravnica off the map of the Multiverse forever will have my eternal gratitude.
Okay, chief.

It has eleven, that's a lot of dragons for one set!
Well, it's certainly an upgrade from Scourge, but I was told the story of Tarkir was that the world used to be ravaged by a war between the clans and the dragons. The clans won the war and the dragons went extinct. Well, now I know why they went extinct! The only real threats are five legendary dragons with one of them posing no threat (the drifting death), one is a sham (the eternal), one is too pretty to be a threat (soul of winter), one looks suicidal (the storm's fury), leaving only one world render. Sure, they have mooks, but they're mooks. No second in command or anything that might possess the ability to level cities. So the clans crush the legendary dragons and went hunting season regarding the lesser dragons. The end.

Wichu

Just made big_ass_morphs.dek.

4 Dragon's Eye Savants
4 Monastery Flock
3 Icefeather Aven
1 Thassa, God of the Sea
2 Kheru Spellsnatcher
3 Sidisi's Pet
2 Phenax, God of Deception
3 Prophet of Kruphix
3 Sagu Mauler
3 Ghostfire Blade
4 Secret Plans
4 Trail of Mystery
2 Dig Through Time
2 Opulent Palace
3 Polluted Delta
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Yavimaya Coast
1 Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
3 Island
1 Swamp
4 Forest

Game plan: get out a Trail of Mystery or Secret Plans to boost my morphs and gain card advantage, stall with big butts like Monastery Flock and Dragon's Eye Savants, then insta-kill insta-mill the opponent with Phenax. Alternate game plan: suit up Icefeather Aven or Sagu Mauler and beat face.

Yeah, I don't know :p

G.ZZZ

Amazing how the only playable delve cards continue to be blue zzz

WotC was it too hard to print a 7B Delve Demonic tutor? Since you thought that 7U Ancestral was fine zzzzzz But no black get only shitty fatties Kappa.

A delve land tutor would've been nice to see too. Like a 3G, search a basic land and put it into play from library. Bah whatever, only blue can get actual non-creature spells it seems.

Matriox

So what's worth speccing on from FRF?

Tasigur has some potential Imo, able to block siege rhinos has value and delve is never a bad thing making it potentially a 1 drop. Even if the ability it has isn't always amazing, chances are you can delve away your not so amazing non land graveyard cards and have your opponent pick their brains at what is going back to your hand. Playsets pick up around $10 which I think could move somewhere but what do I know.

So what's worth speccing on from FRF?
Renowned Weaponsmith. That's the only one I can think of.

Travis Woo is so bad but this Jace+Doubling Season deck is hilarious. I just finished watching this game vs Tron and I was cringing at some plays but the end was amazing.

Why does everyone always make fun of Travis Woo :/

Dude is so awesome. He's also legitimately one of the best limited players at ChannelFireball, but he likes to do funny stuff more than win.

y2dvd

Amazing how the only playable delve cards continue to be blue zzz

WotC was it too hard to print a 7B Delve Demonic tutor? Since you thought that 7U Ancestral was fine zzzzzz But no black get only shitty fatties Kappa.

A delve land tutor would've been nice to see too. Like a 3G, search a basic land and put it into play from library. Bah whatever, only blue can get actual non-creature spells it seems.

That sounds like a great idea for a tutor. Make it happen WotC.

f0rk

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";146788781] He's also legitimately one of the best limited players at ChannelFireball, but he likes to do funny stuff more than win.[/QUOTE]

lol

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";146788781]He's also legitimately one of the best limited players at ChannelFireball, but he likes to do funny stuff more than win.[/QUOTE]

This is an oxymoron.

This is an oxymoron.

I just mean in terms of his recognition and ability to explain his thoughts and what the right and wrong plays are. Whereas I watch Reid Duke draft and he makes a bunch of dumb picks with worse reasoning then loses. At least Travis Woo says, "this and this are what's going on, but I really want to do this other thing for you guys" and then wins anyway.

He's a slight above average player with an obnoxious personality. I like what he does (as in, I like his articles) but every video he's in makes me cringe out of my skin.

Well, it's certainly an upgrade from Scourge, but I was told the story of Tarkir was that the world used to be ravaged by a war between the clans and the dragons.

The dragons are just getting a teaser of their real deal in this set so they can get shown off in their own set just like the clans are pale shadows of their KTK versions here. Patience!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I can't tell if Rosewater is playing so coy about what seems like a two color theme in DTK because he has to or because that's not actually what its going to be. Colors vs colorless?

Yeef

Do we know what the FRF Prerelease Promos are going to be? I can't find them online?

Also is there any one clan that looks better for prerelease?
Starting with Khans and going forward they did away with the traditional prerelease promos. Now, instead, you can get 1 of 8 on-clan rares (or mythic rare) that'll be foil and have a date stamp.

Crocodile

Looking over the spoiler, there are no Green Delve cards, no White Dash cards, no Red Prowess cards, no Black Bolster cards and no Blue Ferocious cards. This + Allied dragon broods = DTK is allied multicolor set (or has that as a major theme)? Boo :(

He's a slight above average player with an obnoxious personality. I like what he does (as in, I like his articles) but every video he's in makes me cringe out of my skin.

Finally somebody said *nods*

I can't tell if Rosewater is playing so coy about what seems like a two color theme in DTK because he has to or because that's not actually what its going to be. Colors vs colorless?

As I said above, DTK really looks like it will probably have some major allied-color theme. Given how many more allied colored multicolor and hybrid cards there are than enemy colors this realization leave me pretty disappointed. Rather than trying to narrow the card number gap, it looks like it will only get bigger :/

Lucario

TWoo has a knack for streaming, and he used to be pretty insightful during his broadcasts.

The first time I watched him live, a few users in the chatroom were piling insults on someone for using slang terms, and generally having poor grammar skills. TWoo noticed, and calmly explained why it's important to respect other people's opinions even if they aren't stated with perfect grammar. People argued with him, but without raising his voice or taking too much time from the stream, he stated that it's intolerant -- if not outright racist -- to reject people's opinions simply because they use slang. It was pretty rad, and that stream gave me a lot of respect for Travis.

Lately, I've stopped watching him. Not because of the play errors, but because his attitude has turned more than a little toxic towards his opponents. If you watch any of his full streams on twitch, you'll notice that he's constantly getting angry at his opponents for taking too long, making bizarre accusations of people "slowrolling him", and is generally in a bad mood. He's turned into the sort of player he used to lecture against.

A few months ago, he got paired up against one of his fans, who was naturally pretty hyped to be playing against him. The fan kept trying to chat with him, and Travis got pissed. Instead of just ignoring him, he started lecturing about how obnoxious his opponent was being, how nobody liked talking during matches, etc.

I haven't watched Travis stream since, and it's a shame, because he has a talent for entertainment. He started out as a genuinely positive person, but once you cuss out a fan to all of your viewers for merely being excited to play with you, you're basically DSP.

I can't tell if Rosewater is playing so coy about what seems like a two color theme in DTK because he has to or because that's not actually what its going to be.

It's not gonna be a two-color theme the way that, say, Ravnica is a two-color theme. It's gonna be more like how Innistrad has five factions that span two colors but only a few actual gold cards. Part of the reason they were willing to do KTK so soon after Ravnica was that the block doesn't have any kind of multicolor theme.

Rather than trying to narrow the card number gap, it looks like it will only get bigger :/

The what now?

Crocodile

It's not gonna be a two-color theme the way that, say, Ravnica is a two-color theme. It's gonna be more like how Innistrad has five factions that span two colors but only a few actual gold cards. Part of the reason they were willing to do KTK so soon after Ravnica was that the block doesn't have any kind of multicolor theme.

The what now?

There are more allied color pair multicolor cards than enemy color pair multicolored cards in the game. Now that WOTC has stopped treating enemy colors like red headed step children (and they've stopped for a while) I think it would be nice to try to balance out the ratio - there are just fewer options for good enemy color cards overall across rarities.

The gap between the number of allied color gold/hybrid cards and enemy I'm pretty sure. Ally pairs and enemy pairs are consistently within like +/-10 of each other, but there are something like 40ish more cards in each allied pair then enemy.

Yep, this is what I meant.

I'm hoping that I get to test some decks this week with my friends for the new Standard. It doesn't look like there are any outright nutty cards, but I do have some ideas. I'm still brewing Jund Reanimator and Boros Burn right now, but I have one list proxied up already:

Mono-U Affinity

Creatures(28):
  • 4 Ornithopter
  • 4 Chief Engineer
  • 4 Renowned Weaponsmith
  • 4 Ensoul Artifact
  • 4 Cloudform
  • 4 Master of Waves
  • 4 Scuttling Doom Engine

Spells(4):
  • 4 Stubborn Denial

Equipment(5):