• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Other than something like Negate or Dissolve, what would you put in the sideboard for a deck like that
Phyrexian Revoker to disable activated abilities, Reality Shift for Exile effect, Polymorphist's Jest and Turn to Frog just for the fun of it, the various counter-spells as you said, tap creatures with Icy Blast or Singing Bell Strike, bounce creatures with Voyage's End or Aether Spouts, Thassa for making your dude unblockable, Heart-Piercer Bow vs. super-aggresive creature decks or token decks (with the bonus synergy with Renowned Weaponsmith); There are definitely some options.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

realityshift.jpg
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

I wanted to try my hand at a Ur Artifact deck. The red for Shrapnel Blast and some more burn.

Edit: and I still think that artwork for Thassa is so beautiful. She's still pushed at three mana and I like her ability for something like Geist. Maybe someday she'll be a good Modern card. At only four bucks I may as well pick up a play set.

I wasn't watching, but based on Twitter reactions, Ben Stark apparently was making some racist comments on the stream today

He thought his mic was off and was saying some things that were quite inappropriate. It's hard to know how bad it really was since I didn't hear it, but apparently it's bad enough that there's a good chance Ben gets let go.

Casting Meekstone in EDH is the best feeling.

Other than something like Negate or Dissolve, what would you put in the sideboard for a deck like that

4 Phyrexian Revoker
4 Haunted Plate Mail(actually moved them into the main over the Masters and moved the masters to the side. Master is cute with convoke and Doom Engine, but doesn't actually win very well without support and plate mail is easier to cast)
2 Negate
3 Disdainful Stroke
2 Polymorphist's Jest

Phyrexian Revoker to disable activated abilities, Reality Shift for Exile effect, Polymorphist's Jest and Turn to Frog just for the fun of it, the various counter-spells as you said, tap creatures with Icy Blast or Singing Bell Strike, bounce creatures with Voyage's End or Aether Spouts, Thassa for making your dude unblockable, Heart-Piercer Bow vs. super-aggresive creature decks or token decks (with the bonus synergy with Renowned Weaponsmith); There are definitely some options.

I tried Heart-Piercer against Mono-red and I just didn't even care. The deck is half 1/3s and half things that race them anyway so the matchup was actually pretty solid.

f0rk

People on mtgs love complaining. Even admins.

Hope they get ignored and only ban Ascendancy for the PT. Maybe unban Bloodbraid as well. There doesn't look to be any new cards in the set for Modern so something new would be good.

bigkrev

Poked through twitter, and the gist of his comments are "That all Portuguese and French players are cheats, and that he's not racist because they're white. "

Hope they get ignored and only ban Ascendancy for the PT. Maybe unban Bloodbraid as well. There doesn't look to be any new cards in the set for Modern so something new would be good.

Ascendency and Cruise are both getting banned. Count on it.

Crocodile

The entire top 8 was warped around cruise. Pod also just has a really good cruise matchup.

I need to take a good look at the decklists but from a quick glance, its looked pretty diverse to me. That being said, Pod had been the big kahuna in the format since forever. If we ban the Khan cards and just go back to "living in a Pod world" that was the previous Modern format, I'm not sure that's a big improvement :/

bigkrev

I need to take a good look at the decklists but from a quick glance, its looked pretty diverse to me. That being said, Pod had been the big kahuna in the format since forever. If we ban the Khan cards and just go back to "living in a Pod world" that was the previous Modern format, I'm not sure that's a big improvement :/

7/8 decks were either Cruise decks or were running Chalices to combat Cruise decks

I want Jund back. lol

In other news, shouldn't the fetches be cheaper than they are? $20-$30 still seems a bit high or is it just me.

I just have a play set of Flooded Strand and want the rest too, but damn...

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
hey guys and gals - pretty freaking new to MtG and aside from the multitude of questions I'm thinking about and the thread I made earlier regarding it all...i just want to make sure I have it right....

every year a new core set is released mid-summer. throughout the following 360ish days a certain amount of expansions are released.

I can only use cards from that "year" in standard games.

I can use any cards ( sans banned ones) from 8th edition up to play modern games.

right?

So next thing for me to do is a friday night standard draft?

I want Jund back. lol

In other news, shouldn't the fetches be cheaper than they are? $20-$30 still seems a bit high or is it just me.

I just have a play set of Flooded Strand and want the rest too, but damn...

Huh? none of the KTK fetches are in the 20-30 range. Foothills and Mire are like 12 bucks mid on TCG.

hey guys and gals - pretty freaking new to MtG and aside from the multitude of questions I'm thinking about and the thread I made earlier regarding it all...i just want to make sure I have it right....

every year a new core set is released mid-summer. throughout the following 360ish days a certain amount of expansions are released.

I can use any cards ( sans banned ones) from 8th edition up to play modern games.

right?

Standard actually looks at two years, and rotations are actually based on the first set of each block (set of three sets that take place in the same world), so you can think of the "year" as being a block, a core set, and then a block. After the next core set, Standard actually becomes block A, core set A, block B, and core set B. Then, once the first set of block C is released, Standard becomes block B, core set B, block C. Right now, that means that Standard is Theros block, Magic 2015, and Khans of Tarkir block. You have it right about Modern and Friday Night Magic.

Although, starting Fall of next year, with the release of the set currently codenamed "Blood" (followed by "Sweat") they'll be changing Standard. Blocks will only be two sets, there will no longer be any core sets (Magic 2016 will be the last), and there will be two blocks each year. Standard will rotate, or kick out older sets, with each block. With this, there will be three blocks in each Standard, but it will cover a period of 18 months as compared to the 2 years it currently does.

EDIT: Before you go drafting this Friday, you may want to brush up on the mechanics of Khans of Tarkir. In addition to mechanics you can find in almost every recent set, such as flying and haste, each set will have mechanics specific to it (although some will be repeats from years ago). If this all seems overwhelming to you, then don't feel bad. It's going to get even more complicated in a few weeks, though, with the release of Fate Reforged, since Khans of Tarkir will no longer be drafted by itself, and thus, there will be other mechanics to keep in mind.

Morph
Image.ashx

This is the big one right here. You need to get this mechanic down if you want to understand what's going on when playing a Khans of Tarkir draft. By paying (3) mana, you can cast a creature with morph face down, so your opponent has no idea what it is; however, you can't shuffle around your face-down cards or anything. If your opponent asks you if that's the morph creature you cast last turn, you must be able to answer truthfully. Face down creatures are colorless 2/2 creatures with no abilities. You can pay the morph cost listed on the card to turn the card face up at any time. The process of the card being turned up can't be responded to. Generally, if you block a morph creature with a morph creature, or vice versa, you can be sure that either both will die or both will survive no matter if they get turned face up or not, unless the morph cost is 5 mana or greater--this was a design decision to make combat a bit easier to process. If a face down morph card leaves the battlefield, you must reveal it to your opponents to assure them that you are not cheating. This includes if the card is returned to your hand, or even if the game has ended.
Image.ashx

Some morph cards have special effects when turned face up. Unlike the act of being turned face up, these effects can be responded to by your opponent. So he or she can give hexproof to the creature you're targeting to nullify the effect and such.
Image.ashx

Also, morph costs don't necessarily have to be mana-based, so keep that in mind.

Raid
Image.ashx

Example 2, Example 3
Raid is tied to the Mardu clan, which is based in red/white/black. If you cast these spells after you have attacked, then you get a special effect.

Ferocious
Image.ashx

Example 2, Example 3
Ferocious is tied to the Temur clan, which is based in green/blue/red. If you control a creature with power 4 or greater, then you get a special effect.

Outlast
Image.ashx

Example 2, Example 3
Outlast is tied to the Abzan clan, which is based in white/black/green. By paying the outlast cost, which can only be done if the creature doesn't have summoning sickness, you tap that creature and put a +1/+1 counter on it, and that's it. What's more interesting is that many Abzan creatures will provide special abilities to any creatures you control that have +1/+1 counters on them.

Prowess
Image.ashx

Example 2, Example 3
Prowess is tied to the Jeskai clan, which is based in blue/red/white. Whenever you cast a spell that is not a creature, creatures you control with prowess get a boost until end of turn; this happens even if the spell is countered.

Delve
Image.ashx

Example 2, Example 3
Delve is tied to the Sultai clan, which is based in black/green/blue. When you cast a spell with delve, you can partially pay for it by exiling cards from your graveyard instead of spending mana. This means spells can potentially be very cheap, but they can otherwise be very expensive. This means that finding a way to get cards into your graveyard will be important, though often it's fine to include one or two delve cards in a deck otherwise not focused on it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";147012296]Huh? none of the KTK fetches are in the 20-30 range. Foothills and Mire are like 12 bucks mid on TCG.[/QUOTE]
You're right. Apparently the LGS I was at is just gouging on Flooded Strand and Polluted Delta.
Still, shocks were at most ten each, right?

Lucario

You're right. Apparently the LGS I was at is just gouging on Flooded Strand and Polluted Delta.
Still, shocks were at most ten each, right?

Sacred Foundry, Hallowed Fountain, and Temple garden hit 12-15 for a bit, IIRC. But yeah, during most of their run in standard, shocks were under $10. Some (like Steam Vents) went to 5 or below.

ElyrionX

Soulfire Grand Master looks like a pretty usable card. I can imagine finding some slots in my Jeskai Geist list for it. Not sure yet.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";147019388]Fetchlands are also much, much better cards than Shocks so they're worth more. They're better than the original duals.[/QUOTE]

Okay, well, it was fun before but your insanity is now causing some problems. Bogles is not the best deck in Legacy, Kibler is not showing up to your birthday party and fetchlands are not better than the OG duals.

Firemind

But fetchlands are like free dark rituals. A 4/4 for one mana. Tell me how that is not crazy good. Who wouldn't play that? Only a madman I say.

Matriox

right?

Welcome to the potentially money burning world of Magic, you'll have a great time :)

Saw your OT post, I didn't have anything meaningful to add and it appears others had answered your questions, just wanted to say welcome to the party and have fun!

takriel

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could introduce me to interesting personalities that do cube drafts on MTGO. I really like Marshall Sutcliffe's drafting videos and have benefitted greatly from them, so I wanted to ask you guys if you know other good narrators that do cube drafts?

Firemind

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could introduce me to interesting personalities that do cube drafts on MTGO. I really like Marshall Sutcliffe's drafting videos and have benefitted greatly from them, so I wanted to ask you guys if you know other good narrators that do cube drafts?
LSV and Jon Finkel. Owen Turtenwald is a good player too but he's a bit of a twat. Paul Cheon if you want to see cube drafts go bad. Brian Kibler too.

WanderingWind

I know the holiday cube drafts are done with, I don't know if there is another cube at the moment. Somebody else may be able to answer that one. But as for draft streamers here is a good primer.

The defacto standard streamer when it comes to draft formats goes by the name numotthenummy. He plays for hours nearly every day and has been doing so for a couple of years now. He's also entertaining, doesn't shit on his fans and doesn't act "pro."

Other than him, you have Paul Cheon (Haumph) who is like a more serious version of numot, in that he interacts with the crowd and isn't a dickhole.

TheDarkestMage is a guy named MJ who is a MtG hall of famer. He's obviously very good at what he does, but he's the biggest asshole in streaming. Sometimes, you want to see newbs get shit on and if that's your deal, MJ is the best.

MrScottyMac is a great streamer too. He's very entertaining, has a good rotation of guests and is pretty chill. He does way more modern and standard than drafting though.

Legacy Cube is coming back this Wednesday for two weeks. MTGO always runs cube in that weird period where Paper Magic has the new set and Online Magic doesn't.

Okay, well, it was fun before but your insanity is now causing some problems. Bogles is not the best deck in Legacy, Kibler is not showing up to your birthday party and fetchlands are not better than the OG duals.
Its not even like Im the first person to think so. Even guys like Wrapter will tell you that fetches are at a higher power level than the duals.

I dont see how its possible that they arent. They add multiple valuable effects that duals dont and they give you access to more types of mana than a dual does. Its not even a close comparison.

It's a symbiotic relationship, you goofs. They're as powerful as they are because they work so well together. Without fetches, the OG duals would only be slightly more powerful than the painlands. Without proper duals, the fetches wouldn't be all that good at all.

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";147046481]Its not even like Im the first person to think so. Even guys like Wrapter will tell you that fetches are at a higher power level than the duals.[/QUOTE]

Multiple people can be crazy.

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";147046838]Shuffle effects, complete mastery of your mana base and the ability to fill your graveyard are all extremely relevant abilities that make fetches better than just getting two colors for no life loss.[/QUOTE]

And all that effort to fetch what?

That's right. A dual.

The defense rests.

EDIT: Except in zoo. ;)

And all that effort to fetch what?

That's right. A dual.

The defense rests.

EDIT: Except in zoo. ;)
If duals didnt exist every single legacy deck would function. Games would start to be annoying like playing modern, but they would work.

If fetches got banned, Legacy would flip on its head. Miracles would drop several tiers of viability. Even Elves would lose valuable plays. Brainstorm would go from being the best card in the format to worse than Ponder.

That was on Cheon's stream, right? I did a bit of a double-take when I heard that. I mean. he's a way better player than I am, but...Jeskai Sage can't be a constructed playable card, can it?
To be fair, the dude is a little blind with his jeskai obsession. Not that it matters much, he did make a Jeskai deck that destroyed Worlds.

Firemind

I've got your back, bro. Brainstorm protects your hand and draws three in a pinch to find a counterspell.

Ponder meanwhile is banned in Modern. BOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom