• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man when I opened the Tasigurs in the box I won, I was just like, "cool, I get to upgrade my Hooting Mandrills" lol

I didnt think they'd be more than ten bucks considering that rhinos didnt get there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";149150258]Man when I opened the Tasigurs in the box I won, I was just like, "cool, I get to upgrade my Hooting Mandrills" lol

I didnt think they'd be more than ten bucks considering that rhinos didnt get there.[/QUOTE]

Khans is a big set that gets triple drafted, though.

I've pulled 2 Flooded Strand in my fat pack and like 4 random packs from Target over a few days. I guess they aren't quite as rare as the Shocks in DGM.

I told you.

Don't listen to Marshall.

But he's so accura... okay I can't say that with a straight face.

I've gotta say that I find the whole Tarkir block sort of unappealing. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I feel like I should have gotten back into Magic in Scars of Mirrodin, or Theros. :p

I am sure there are other people who think Theros was awesome and Khans is lame, but ye gods that is not gonna be a popular opinion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I am sure there are other people who think Theros was awesome and Khans is lame, but ye gods that is not gonna be a popular opinion.

The goblins on Tarkir are the best. But flavorwise I don't care for Khans as a set all that much nor am I a huge fan of the clan design at all. I think from the perspective of a bad limited player who at least has some semblance of what they are doing (e.g. not a good drafter, but not a noob either), its less fun to draft a set that is this hard to draft well.

I think you're overestimating how popular Khans is, too. Theros was the best selling set, and before someone brings it up, despite MTG's popularity, it absolutely would have sold less if people really didn't like it.

Well, one good thing about the two-blocks-per-year paradigm will be less time at a world you disfavor.

Concerning set popularity, anecdotally, I'll be surprised if Khans doesn't outsell Theros and thus become the best-selling Magic set. My LGS was definitely much busier for the Fate Reforged prerelease than for any others I've attended.

Yeef

Well, one good thing about the two-blocks-per-year paradigm will be less time at a world you disfavor.

Concerning set popularity, anecdotally, I'll be surprised if Khans doesn't outsell Theros and thus become the best-selling Magic set. My LGS was definitely much busier for the Fate Reforged prerelease than for any others I've attended.
Fate Reforged was the first time we completely sold out of product for the pre-release and had to turn people away.

I think you're overestimating how popular Khans is, too.

I'm not even talking about real popularity exactly here, which is hard to measure, shifts in retrospect, and is disguised by 6+ years of constant growth. The sort of internet default opinion on Theros seems to be that it's boring and lame, and it did have a particularly awful Standard season.

Personally I don't think Theros is anything close to Masques/Champions level bad but I do like Tarkir quite a bit more. :p

It feels so good to be right about cards.

I have two playsets of Tasigur on the way, preordered at $2/pop from ChannelFireball, and a foil preordered from Ebay at $7. Gonna turn around one playset immediately to make my money back and then sit on the rest for a while.

As for Rhino, I have no doubt that he's going up eventually. It still puzzles me that he's only $5, given how ubiquitous he is in both Standard and Modern. The triple drafting of Khans and the fetchlands are obviously depressing his price, but even so, I don't think it should be by that much.

Give it time and the Rhino will be a $10 card easily.

I came across the new Propaganda artwork from CMD 13 when looking for other cards made by the artist who did Geist-Honored Monk, I hadn't seen it yet. It's kinda creepy.

zlcZgwD.jpg

Big version here.
I love this art. Creepy is good, and this totally imbues the card with flavor.

I've learned that I run cards in decks just because I like the way a car feels or looks. A strategic weakness sure, but (for me) it's all about having fun. I totally understand what MaRo says about designing a product to make an emotional connection.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Whelp, I thought about getting some Tasigurs before they spiked, but now I wake up to them already being at 10...
I kind of wanted to get Torrent Elementals as well, but I guess they'll be next to spike up. ;-/

kirblar

Whelp, I thought about getting some Tasigurs before they spiked, but now I wake up to them already being at 10...
I kind of wanted to get Torrent Elementals as well, but I guess they'll be next to spike up. ;-/
I grabbed 3 @ just a bit over 4 each after the discussion earlier (you would never play more than that.)

I grabbed 3 @ just a bit over 4 each after the discussion earlier (you would never play more than that.)

It seems the guy who got my foil for a Flooded Strand might have gotten the better end of the deal - short term at least. But I can't feel too bad getting a blue fetch for a card that wasn't super valuable at the time (unless Tasigur sticks around long-term in Modern, in which case FML).

bigkrev

I'm guessing I should wait on Tasigur if I haven't gotten him yet? It's just a new card/supply thing shooting him so high, right?

I'm guessing I should wait on Tasigur if I haven't gotten him yet? It's just a new card/supply thing shooting him so high, right?
I'd like to think so, but speculators saying he's a new Tarmogoyf could get people hoarding, even if they don't play it.

LSV called it the best constructed card in the set awhile back.

A 4.0 on his rating scale.

red13th

So is 32 of each basic land enough for a Cube that's gonna be played mostly by 2-4 people? I decided to go singleton with basic lands since everything else is singleton and I was impressed by how good looking basic lands look these days. I spent hours choosing, this site was very helpful btw (not up to date but good anyway).
I thought of going all Zendikar full artwork but then I'd not be able to put stuff like these:

I like colourful lands therefore choosing Swamps sucked. Three of the ones I wanted were sold out everywhere (Lorwyn with water lilies, Esper Alara and John Avon's from Magic 2011), I'll have to grab Brazilian versions. :/

bigkrev

So is 32 of each basic land enough for a Cube that's gonna be played mostly by 2-4 people? I decided to go singleton with basic lands since everything else is singleton and I was impressed by how good looking basic lands look these days. I spent hours choosing, this site was very helpful btw (not up to date but good anyway).
I thought of going all Zendikar full artwork but then I'd not be able to put stuff like these:

I like colourful lands therefore choosing Swamps sucked. Three of the ones I wanted were sold out everywhere (Lorwyn with water lilies, Esper Alara and John Avon's from Magic 2011), I'll have to grab Brazilian versions. :/

I'm a strange child, and can't stand basics that just have the giant symbol on them, so I only use Mirage/Tempest/Saga/5thEdition lands, or full arts.

I'd probably go 35 lands, just incase 2 people want to draft the same mono-colored deck.

I'm interested in Patrick Chapin's article on Alesha, but my premium subscription ran out last Tuesday. Can anyone help a brutha out?

It contains an Alesha Temur deck built on rebuying Bear Companion and Hornet Queen that can't actually ever activate Alesha (only has 1 Mana Confluence to generate W/B mana). Among other things.

Matriox

I'm interested in Patrick Chapin's article on Alesha, but my premium subscription ran out last Tuesday. Can anyone help a brutha out?

Let me check at the house when I get home in 7 hours, I still had one left when I handed a few out.

The article has like 7 different lists with Alesha, jund is probably best.

I tested a Jund alesha list for a couple weeks and just wasn't impressed. Why buy premium when you can complain about all my bad brews right here? It's the full SCG experience!

Hey guys, I could use some input on a few ideas I have for my Un-Cube.

-I want to implement ante into it, for every individual game played. This will allow the use of some cards that otherwise don't get used, and makes your cardpool dynamic during the tournament.

-I am going to errata some of the silver bordered cards that have cool and unusual effects, but that cost too much mana, to have lower mana costs. This will also make R&D's Secret Lair a playable card. I'm also including Impulse and Waylay for the same reason.

So:

-What cool and unusual effects are in Un sets that might be playable if they cost less? For example, I'm thinking about making Letter Bomb only cost 3 mana, and Staying Power only cost 1.

-What are some other cards from Magic's past that received functional errata that might combo with the Secret Lair?

-What are some potential problems with using ante, and how can I head them off? Or, how can I errata ante-affecting cards to actually be worthwhile (aside from Contract from Below, which is already good enough)

red13th

I'm a strange child, and can't stand basics that just have the giant symbol on them, so I only use Mirage/Tempest/Saga/5thEdition lands, or full arts.

I'd probably go 35 lands, just incase 2 people want to draft the same mono-colored deck.

Saga has amazing Plains and Forests, love them.
I'm modern frame only and the Urza's Plains were reprinted in some side product. Might add them.

y2dvd

Went 2-2 last night in draft. My two losses came to players who got to cast their mythics asap. Seriously, t4 Brutal Hordechief both games and then the next opponent gets to cast Shaman of the Great Hunt t4 also. I couldn't even be mad at my opponents. They just had nut opening hands. -_-

It's always nice to see new cards shake up the format a little.

Angry Grimace

I'm not even talking about real popularity exactly here, which is hard to measure, shifts in retrospect, and is disguised by 6+ years of constant growth. The sort of internet default opinion on Theros seems to be that it's boring and lame, and it did have a particularly awful Standard season.

Personally I don't think Theros is anything close to Masques/Champions level bad but I do like Tarkir quite a bit more. :p

You gotta be careful with default internet opinions =P

ultron87

Most drafts are three round since that gets you one undefeated out of a pod of 8. I've seen some stores instead do it where they have a draft event where a bunch of pods draft at the same time and then do a longer swiss from all those players mixing up pods. I find that weird. Mostly because it feels wrong to lose to some sick draft deck because another pod passed this person the nuts.

f0rk

Most drafts are three round since that gets you one undefeated out of a pod of 8. I've seen some stores instead do it where they have a draft event where a bunch of pods draft at the same time and then do a longer swiss from all those players mixing up pods. I find that weird. Mostly because it feels wrong to lose to some sick draft deck because another pod passed this person the nuts.

One pod can also just have more powerful decks in general. I'd question my store if they started doing more than 3

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";149219720]You had a 4-round draft?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Sometimes it's 3-round though. It depends on the amount of players and the draft cost. $12 fee is usually 3 rounds with payouts to top 2-3. $15 is usually 4 rounds and it's packed per win.

MjFrancis

I have $15 3-rounds with a top 3 payout. That wouldn't be so bad if they didn't mix all the drafting pods. Lose one game and there's no chance of a payout. Not one round, one game. I have gone 3-0 with two rounds being 2-1's and received no winnings.

On that note, I played fairly poorly last draft but did pull a Tasigur and got passed a Clever Impersonator. So it wasn't all bad.

ultron87

Stores paying out by ranking instead of record in general annoys me. If you're doing just 4 or 5 rounds of swiss for FNM it should just pay the same to all the X-1s or however far down you want to pay.

You guys have some fucked up draft rules.

8 Pod, FRF-KTK-KTK $15
3-0: 5 packs/$20 credit
2-0-1: 4 packs/$16 credit
2-1: 3 packs/$12 credit
1-1-1: 2 packs/$8 credit
1-2: 1 pack/$4 credit

Payout at one of the shops up here. There's also $11 drafts at another shop that payout 4 packs to 3-0.

There's a third shop that has garbage payout for limited, but has insane minimum payouts for constructed fnms(18 packs for standard/box for modern) even if 4 people show up.

Angry Grimace

I have no idea what the payout is at my store because I lose every draft.

That is a generous store, in my experience.
8 packs for 15 dollars isnt as good a rate as 7 packs for 11 dollars, but the option to take credit is pretty rare so I prefer to draft there and trade in my credit for eternal playables. It is somewhat more annoying to travel to, though.

The third shop would be the only place I go to for fnm if it wasnt so far because 12 bucks for a 16-man modern win-a-box is absurd. 5 bucks for 18 packs in standard is mindboggling for how few people enter.

Toxi

Banned
Theros block wasn't bad, it was just sort of boring (although I still think it has some fun Limited play)
I didn't have much fun with Theros Limited; it felt like I was constantly funneled into the same strategies.

Part of the problem is that auras aren't very much fun to play with for me. Play a creature, slap auras on it, swing with that creature. I actually like aggressive strategies, but throwing steroids on a heroic creature wasn't very engrossing for me.

And then there's awful removal just to encourage the aura glomp. And Bestow means auras become risk free with enough mana.

I rarely drafted the bestow or the heroic deck. In triple Theros, I just wanted to play UG, curve out and play tempo spells. My dream deck in that format would have some combination of Nessian Courser, Vaporkin, and Sea God's Revenge.

Angry Grimace

Its funny to me that the number of fetchlands I'm getting FRF packs is about the same as in Khans packs except I get a second rare in those packs. Shit, I have three Flooded Strands in a fat pack plus a box.

Funny interaction I found when looking for combos for my ante cube:

With an R&D's Secret Lair on the field, you can sacrifice Misty Rainforest to bring out this bad boy, straight from your library:

Image.ashx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom