• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
My four cards!

114.jpg

It took me from a casual player to a competitive one. Love everything about the card. The art. Everything.
213.jpg

I shoe horned this card in every deck I could. And it's the card that made me want to play modern.
158.jpg

My first every commander deck. Of course it was a sliver deck.
58.jpg

My favorite commander. Love my blue decks.

Jhriad

Image.ashx

The first card that won me a game. It helped that we didn't understand the rules so we both thought that you could attack as many times as you wanted in a turn so long as you had more guys to tap. "You don't have any fliers? Okay, I attack you twenty times with my falcon."

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

My first combo.

ironmang

Anybody have some insight about that U/B control deck now that it has an in color 5 mana sweeper? Terribly bored of casting Siege Rhino and Courser already and the control deck seems reasonably fun.

Anybody have some insight about that U/B control deck now that it has an in color 5 mana sweeper? Terribly bored of casting Siege Rhino and Courser already and the control deck seems reasonably fun.
I played it twice at fnm and it seems good but goddamn does Torrent Elemental fuck that deck.

ironmang

Thinking about giving Fae a try too. Have most of the expensive pieces from Scapeshift and it seems competitive enough that I won't scrub out of everything I enter. Just need the damn Bitterblossoms.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148951235]I played it twice at fnm and it seems good but goddamn does Torrent Elemental fuck that deck.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if anybody is playing that card locally. What does it do that's broken?

Not sure if anybody is playing that card locally. What does it do that's broken?
It's an uncounterable, unchumpable, infinitely recurring threat that actively punishes their game plan.

I cast it from exile off their ashiok. They had to exile it for me with perilous vault. If they sweep or kill it, I just delve it away or whip it back then cast it from exile. I even cut my own Elemental just so it would exile itself after whipping so I could bring it back the same turn.

Also, the game is so slow that you can get some stupid value off of tasigur when you set him up, and he comes in under dissolve on the play which is great. Sidisi Whip got so much better against control than it was.

ironmang

Ya that seems really annoying LOL. Guess I have to hope I don't run into that card all the time.

That deck really seems like the only one I'll have much fun playing though. Control is just fun for me in standard. Midrange decks just kill my soul.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Thinking about giving Fae a try too. Have most of the expensive pieces from Scapeshift and it seems competitive enough that I won't scrub out of everything I enter. Just need the damn Bitterblossoms.

It casts from exile. In a delve deck that's crazy.

GB go ahead and post your list? I've got all the cards for whip coming in this week.

It casts from exile. In a delve deck that's crazy.

GB go ahead and post your list? I've got all the cards for whip coming in this week.
Sure. Posting from my phone so ill just give you a dirty version:

26 creatures
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Courser of Kruphix
3 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
4 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
2 Doomwake Giant
2 Torrent Elemental
3 Hornet Queen

10 spells
3 Whip of Erebos
3 Sultai Charm
2 Murderous Cut
2 Hero's Downfall

24 land
4 Opulent Palace
3 Polluted Delta
2 Evolving Wilds
1 Temple of Mystery
2 Temple of Malady
3 Llanowar Wastes
1 Yavimaya Coast
3 Swamp
2 Island
2 Forest
1 Mana Confluence

15 Sideboard
4 Thoughtseize
2 Negate
3 Disdainful Stroke
4 Drown in Sorrow
2 Merciless Executioner

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What do you guys think about Faeries for the post-pod modern? Kind of wanting to give it a shot.

I play U/B Fae online. Its hard to say since the ban list hasn't gone into effect yet so joining an 8-man still involves getting pounded by UR Delver. I've been trying out Esper Fae recently though. That one is a lot of fun, especially when you get Sorin3 out to gain life off your Faeries. The main reason to go Esper is for some lifegain and access to Path to Exile.

Its the kind of control deck I really like though - meaning it has some permission but it actually does stuff.

However, I will say that there is no version of Faeries that has any chance to be Tier 1 without Ancestral Vision legal.

ironmang

I play U/B Fae online. Its hard to say since the ban list hasn't gone into effect yet so joining an 8-man still involves getting pounded by UR Delver. I've been trying out Esper Fae recently though. That one is a lot of fun, especially when you get Sorin3 out to gain life off your Faeries. The main reason to go Esper is for some lifegain and access to Path to Exile.

Its the kind of control deck I really like though - meaning it has some permission but it actually does stuff.

However, I will say that there is no version of Faeries that has any chance to be Tier 1 without Ancestral Vision legal.

Ya I don't care too much about tiers as long as the deck has a chance against the field. I've won more with fringe decks than tier 1 anyways.

Angry Grimace

Ya I don't care too much about tiers as long as the deck has a chance against the field. I've won more with fringe decks than tier 1 anyways.

Its okay, and its fun. The biggest problem with it is that its not really competitive and its extremely expensive:

Bitterblossom is still 40, Clique is still 50+, Cryptic Command is is 50+ etc.

Maledict

Heh, am beginning to this Rosewater was right - they shouldn't allow things to come back from exile ever. It just creates issues with the game and unhealthy interactions.

Angry Grimace

Heh, am beginning to this Rosewater was right - they shouldn't allow things to come back from exile ever. It just creates issues with the game and unhealthy interactions.

Maro likes Torrent Elemental because bringing ITSELF back from exile is okay.

Angry Grimace

He doesn't like it. He begrudgingly accepts it as something that may be OK every once in a while.

There's a lot of fun tricks don't realize you can do with Torrent, like cast it off Ashiok or Chained to the Rocks.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148964312]Sure. Posting from my phone so ill just give you a dirty version:

26 creatures
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Courser of Kruphix
3 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
4 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
2 Doomwake Giant
2 Torrent Elemental
3 Hornet Queen

10 spells
3 Whip of Erebos
3 Sultai Charm
2 Murderous Cut
2 Hero's Downfall

24 land
4 Opulent Palace
3 Polluted Delta
2 Evolving Wilds
1 Temple of Mystery
2 Temple of Malady
3 Llanowar Wastes
1 Yavimaya Coast
3 Swamp
2 Island
2 Forest
1 Mana Confluence

15 Sideboard
4 Thoughtseize
2 Negate
3 Disdainful Stroke
4 Drown in Sorrow
2 Merciless Executioner[/QUOTE]

Pretty similar to the list I was sleeving up but I had more Murderous Cut in there.

Ali Aintrazi (the last National Champion before they stopped running Nationals, and a player from my local scene) is currently in 1st place at the DC Open after 6 rounds with a deck sporting Worst Fears, lol

Edit: 7-0 now

Another edit: 8-0 now

Wichu

I got around to adding Lightform and Cloudform to my Brago, King Eternal commander deck.

They're glorious, especially when combined with Augury Owl or Cryptic Annelid. In succession, I manifested (then blinked to get their ETB effects without paying mana) Quarry Colossus, Sunblast Angel, and Geist-Honored Monk.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148959806]It's an uncounterable, unchumpable, infinitely recurring threat that actively punishes their game plan.
[/QUOTE]

???

I can't do a cube draft without playing Armageddon (or Ravages of War). Every. Time. Few things feel better than hitting your 1-3 drops while your opponents fetches out lands, only to Geddon on T4. Never, ever gets old.

Angry Grimace

Oh. Yeah, I don't really think "well eventually, once you use additional cards and pay the cost again, on a future turn you can play it again despite it being countered" really means the same thing as "uncounterable."

It's a Godsbeardism.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";149005223]Oh, by uncounterable I was actually meaning the activation to bring it back from exile.[/QUOTE]

Oh durrr, that makes way more sense.

Oh damn, apparently there's another infinite combo this Standard that was demonstrated at SCG Open tournament.
Image.ashx
+
Image.ashx
+
Image.ashx
+ another 4 power creature, such as another Temur Sabertooth

Bounce until you draw Genesis Hydra or some other card, then go. And it's still capable of winning even if the combo isn't set up.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Oh damn, apparently there's another infinite combo this Standard that was demonstrated at SCG Open tournament.
Image.ashx
+
Image.ashx
+
Image.ashx
+ another 4 power creature, such as another Temur Sabertooth

Bounce until you draw Genesis Hydra or some other card, then go. And it's still capable of winning even if the combo isn't set up.
Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but with just those cards it can't go infinite. To get infinite mana from bouncing the acolyte, you'd need your devotion to green to be bigger than six (bounce cost + acolyte casting cost), and Ascendancy + 2 Sabertooth + Acolyte = exactly six devotion. You'd need an additional creature to get to the infinite mana required to then continually bounce the other Sabertooth to get infinite draws. Or do we just assume that there's also an Elvish Mystic hanging around on the board?

Still a nifty combo though. You can immediately play anything green you draw with the infinite green mana, allowing you to play out your entire deck if you can get the combo going.

Yeah the deck is impressive to see in action. It has multiple avenues of victory and there's very little dead weight. It also plays Voyaging Satyr/Nykthos, as well as Singing Bell Strike, for combo redundancy. It even plays a singleton Nylea, so once you go infinite you can Genesis Hydra for your deck, get her out, and trample over whatever they have. It's pretty robust.

On camera I watched the guy partially combo off but not quite go infinite, so he passed the turn. The opponent cast Ugin and wiped the board with a -4. The combo player didn't even skip a beat and won on his following turn. It was kind of nuts. I went ahead and Pucatraded for some Temur Ascendancies because they were only 35 cents, just in case.

f0rk

Tried a friends UWR Twin list featuring Monastery Siege at a Modern PPTQ today and scrubbed out straight away, want to go back to playing Serum Visions and Tarmogoyf.

Dig got me addicted to Thought Scour... might try some BUG Faeries/Delve with Murderous Cut and Tasigur. Bitterblossom makes Goyf so big, but it's still £35 for some reason. Don't know if there are enough of a plan against Rhino though

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but with just those cards it can't go infinite. To get infinite mana from bouncing the acolyte, you'd need your devotion to green to be bigger than six (bounce cost + acolyte casting cost), and Ascendancy + 2 Sabertooth + Acolyte = exactly six devotion. You'd need an additional creature to get to the infinite mana required to then continually bounce the other Sabertooth to get infinite draws. Or do we just assume that there's also an Elvish Mystic hanging around on the board?

Still a nifty combo though. You can immediately play anything green you draw with the infinite green mana, allowing you to play out your entire deck if you can get the combo going.

Yeah, I only realized that the combo didn't work as I posted it until after I went to bed.

Here's the deck.
And here's a bad shoop I found:
V28x3EF.jpg

Wichu

Placed second at my LGS' release event with a WUBR deck. That's four out of six Khans block sealed events I've played that colour combination - I don't know why I even bother trying other combinations.

Angry Grimace

Dude on stream won with it after he whiffed on the combo by just dropping a Nissa after opponent removed all his combo pieces.

There's ways to combo out with that too - Genesis Hydra for the exact number of cards in your deck to play Purphoros and then bounce/cast your Sabertooth/Acolyte till they die, etc. I think the combo he's using is digging until he gets to Nylea and then just making his guys 100000/100000 with trample.

Hey dudes, its the noob again.

I've been lurking around the net and found a very inspiring combo for my first deck: UB Dark Deal + Waste Not.

Ive got a bunch of stuff for it like Thoughtseize, Despise, Sign in Blood, Temple of Deceit, Treasure Cruise, Murderous Cut, Rakshasa's Secret, Disciple of Deceit, Dakra Mystic, Hero's Downfall, and Bile Blight.

Trimming that list down is tricky, but the real tough part is what to choose for finishers. So far I'm looking at:
Master of the Feast
Soulflayer + Silumgar, the Drifting Death
Empty the Pits
Liliana Vess
Ugin

What do you think?

Hey dudes, its the noob again.

I've been lurking around the net and found a very inspiring combo for my first deck: UB Dark Deal + Waste Not.

Ive got a bunch of stuff for it like Thoughtseize, Despise, Sign in Blood, Temple of Deceit, Treasure Cruise, Murderous Cut, Rakshasa's Secret, Disciple of Deceit, Dakra Mystic, Hero's Downfall, and Bile Blight.

Trimming that list down is tricky, but the real tough part is what to choose for finishers. So far I'm looking at:
Master of the Feast
Soulflayer + Silumgar, the Drifting Death
Empty the Pits
Liliana Vess
Ugin

What do you think?

I've been thinking about this deck too, and the biggest thing you have to fear is Anger of the Gods. You should definitely figure out a way to protect your zombies from it. Also, given that Waste Not only adds black mana, you'll want to stay monoblack as much as possible. Plus, you're probably including expensive spells to take advantage of the mana generated, but you really probably won't get more than BBBB at best with each use of Dark Deal. You probably want to make your upper limit 6 mana or so.

Another thing to consider is that the M15 black convoke spells may be useful, particularly Endless Obedience.

Angry Grimace

I think you probably want Tasigur and Torrent Elementals, possibly even Ugin. A Dark Deal deck probably has to be a Delve deck. And if you're using Endless Obedience, I imagine you probably want Silumgar, even though its super slow.

Finishers possible for that are Empty the Pits, if you're milling yourself for quite a bit too. And Ghastly Consciption. I checked with some friends. You can target your opponent's graveyard and get all their creatures manifested. Been putting this deck together to annoy my friends all weekend.

Well that's an odd way to handle things, but OK
Q:people seem convinced that The Reforged Chain means Sarkhan no longer exists. Wouldn't his non-existence affect stuff that happened while he was on other planes (Alara/Jund, the Zendikar plot), which you're not doing? Can't "temporal forces whisked Sarkhan away" just mean back to the new present? OR couldn't Bolas come back and keep killing Ugin, and Ugin keep summoning Sarkhan to the less-distant past to save him, in a repetitive cycle until Sarkhan only had to go back to right before Zendikar?
ajohnnygoldmain

We’ll have to wait until closer to Dragons of Tarkir to find out the specifics of what happens with Sarkhan. But yes, we’ve said we don’t intend this block to change the history of other planes. The how is kind of timey-wimey (more on that during DTK), but from the perspective of the rest of the Multiverse, somebody who called himself Sarkhan still showed up and participated in those Sarkhan-involving, off-Tarkir events in recent history (meeting Ajani on Jund, declaring fealty to Bolas, going to the Eye of Ugin, fighting with Chandra and Jace). In other words, worlds other than Tarkir have seen Sarkhan showing up and doing stuff over the past few years just as before, and haven’t experienced any temporal changes, even though things have already begun to change in Tarkir’s history. I can’t say more without spoiling stories to come, but that’s the sitch so far.
#planeswalkers #sarkhan #time travel #so timey and also wimey #fate reforged #mtgfrf

Those are all great ideas, thanks. Theres some handy blue stuff but its feeling more and more like I can go mono black easily.

I have a Tasigur in my current deck from the prerelease, but he has never impressed me. Paying 4 mana to let my opponent choose a card to give me seems pretty weak compared to all the other stuff I could put in there.

Empty the Pits looks fun but it feels like focusing on the effects of Waste Not is where the strength of the deck is. If i can start the combo in turn 3 keep chaining mana generation and cheap draw/discard spells, Im putting myself in a better position earlier than if I try to save up for Empty the Pits.

Im saying this less to assert my (uninformed) opinion and more to share my thought process in case I'm making some wrong assumptions.

Those are all great ideas, thanks. Theres some handy blue stuff but its feeling more and more like I can go mono black easily.

I have a Tasigur in my current deck from the prerelease, but he has never impressed me. Paying 4 mana to let my opponent choose a card to give me seems pretty weak compared to all the other stuff I could put in there.

Empty the Pits looks fun but it feels like focusing on the effects of Waste Not is where the strength of the deck is. If i can start the combo in turn 3 keep chaining mana generation and cheap draw/discard spells, Im putting myself in a better position earlier than if I try to save up for Empty the Pits.

Im saying this less to assert my (uninformed) opinion and more to share my thought process in case I'm making some wrong assumptions.

But you are leaning hard on drawing 4 cards in your 60.

And if you're delving effectively, Tasigur is amazing. I've activated him 11 times since release and have yet to get anything that wasn't worth it. As long as you curate your graveyard with delve, you don't get dead cards back unless they're flipped on the mill. The argument against Tasigur for you is that you have to bring in a second color.

f0rk

If you have cards you never want to get back in your graveyard, after delving 5, why are you playing those cards

Angry Grimace

If you have stuff you don't want back you're playing too many bad cards.

But you are leaning hard on drawing 4 cards in your 60.

And if you're delving effectively, Tasigur is amazing. I've activated him 11 times since release and have yet to get anything that wasn't worth it. As long as you curate your graveyard with delve, you don't get dead cards back unless they're flipped on the mill. The argument against Tasigur for you is that you have to bring in a second color.

I don't think the deck would even remotely have a possibility of working as mono-black, though.

For these kinds of decks, you want to think of every card you include in terms of which others it synergizes with. Dark Deal/Waste Not is a cool interaction, but it doesn't win you the game on the spot, so you need cards that work well with just Dark Deal, work well with just Waste Not, and don't particularly care about either but work well with each other so that regardless of which draws you get your deck is doing something that's generating value. Delve is a workable approach (add some on-color delve cards to make use of the cards you're having to discard yourself, then add things that synergize with Delve like Torrent Elemental) as is a reanimator sub-theme (since both graveyards should be full of stuff to bring back.)

They have to pick two of three things -- do a cool time-travel themed block structure, explain the story in a way that people can follow, make the ultra-dedicated Magic story nerds happy -- and the last one is the obvious choice to throw out.

Good point about being careful with delve. With Tasigur, I'm liking the Torrent Elemental. I bet Soulflayer could play off of Torrent Elemental and I could still go mono-black if I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom