• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine started playing Magic about a week ago and is interested in getting better. She has a grasp on the basics of the rules and whatever she might have picked up from me explaining the decisions I'm making, why I'm making them, and why the rules work to allow me to do some things that aren't completely intuitive. I feel like learning rules esoterica, figuring out if you're the beatdown, card advantage, and how to approach certain board states are the next steps in learning, but I'm pretty sure just linking her decade and a half old Mike Flores articles would be confusing. How would you approach teaching someone in this position?

She's definitely interested in learning to draft, so I feel like no matter what good draft streams and videos are going to be a part of it. I'm particularly fond of Numot and once M15 gets online I'm definitely pointing her towards his prerelease and release sealed streams, but any other suggestions on this front would be great.

Honestly, I think you're best off just continuing to play normally and explaining rules as you go along. To explain draft, there are plenty of draft simulators online which may help.

f0rk

Elspeth is doing one of those dumb poses that only female character on comic book covers ever do where they twist at uncomfortable angles to show off their face and figure at the same time. It really isn't a big deal though, especially since Magic has done very well about this kind of thing for awhile. I don't really remember anyone making a particularly large stink about, besides just going "hey, her pose it kind of silly."
Some people thought that card with Garruk and Liliana was too rapey

If Boros Charm is getting you any less than four damage, you're doing it wrong... :)

It's compared to spending the same amount of mana on enchantments. Boros Charm is giving me 6-8 damage on curve, but on the right draws it can do some insane shit like let me swing for 30 on turn 5 or whatever.

The problem is that without rancor, madcap or stalker, boros charm might not actually translate that into actual damage whereas Selesnya Charm is more reliable.

bigkrev

I have a question that only some fellow Magic Players could answer.

I have a co-worker with a binder of Revised (only) cards. Besides a handful of Swords to Plowshares, Demonic Tutors, and Sol Rings, the only thing of any interest are 10 dual lands. There are 2 Tropical Islands, 3 Plateaus, 1 Bayou, 2 Badlands, and 2 Savannahs.

Theres also a handful of fun older cards like Armageddon, Birds of Paradise, Howling Mine in a binder with about 700-800 commons/uncommons from that set.

All the cards are in NM quality.

He wants to offload the whole binder of cards. I know that duals have spiked recently, but I'm not willing to offer that kind of crazy money ($150 for one Tropical Island is nuts).

What would be a fair offer for the set? This is not an attempt to sell, but rather I just want to get a feel of the actual worth of these cards as opposed to store prices.

On Buylist prices alone, the Dual Lands themselves are worth about 700 dollars, without knowing what any of the other stuff is (assuming they are NM). If you were to offer 600ish cash for the whole thing, it would be a fair offer

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its especially weird because her costume, especially on that card, isn't sexy, revealing, or even particularly form fitting. She's twisted at an odd angle, but her entire appearance is straight-faced fantasy female soldier

Its a comic-booky pose, but I have no reason to believe its for sex appeal.

On Buylist prices alone, the Dual Lands themselves are worth about 700 dollars, without knowing what any of the other stuff is (assuming they are NM). If you were to offer 600ish cash for the whole thing, it would be a fair offer

That sounds fairly reasonable. I've told him to buy some top-loaders and get those lands out of the binder (they've been safe for years, but some of the other cards have developed a bit of a bend in there).

What do you guys think about the art on the special Comic Con planeswalkers?
ajani3.jpg

I think they're very unappealing. I guess Jace and Chandra are passable because the bright spots actually have a visual structure on their own:
chandra3.jpg

But all of them being nearly completely black is just boring. I guess someone must like the look.

OnPoint

The Ajani's proportions are all weird. The arm on the right side of the card is in a strange place, might be out too far and too far down, while his legs look super short.

I don't like it at all.

ultron87

I think the ones from last year were better. Not to say I wouldn't immediately buy this year's at MSRB if the opportunity presented itself.

Last year's Chandra makes real good use of the flames:

EI5QneS.jpg

I like the Ajani. It's super creepy.

edit: Trying to decide between these guys in bogles:
hIFB8bu.jpg
iaw9a28.jpg
IsnZag8.jpg

Deviant Glee is copies 5-6 of Rancor but ties up your prismatic mana in certain situations which could suck. Taste for mayhem has the highest upside and downsides, and Dust Corona might be too narrow.

I have a question about Pack Rats:

I have a 10/4 first strike Bogle and my opponent has 4 Pack Rats.

If my opponent quad blocks and I assign the damage 4, 3, 2, 1, what happens?

The first Rat dies during first strike damage, so do all the rest chain off as state-based actions before the regular damage step?

ultron87

You can't assign damage like that because you need to do full lethal to each one before you move onto the next one in the order. The game doesn't "know" that it'll be lethal after the other rats die. So you have to go 4, 4, 2 to kill three of them after first strike damage.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";122598082]I have a question about Pack Rats:

I have a 10/x first strike Bogle and my opponent has 4 Pack Rats.

If my opponent quad blocks and I assign the damage 4, 3, 2, 1, what happens?

The first Rat dies during first strike damage, so do all the rest chain off as state-based actions before the regular damage step?[/QUOTE]You can't do that. You'd have to assign the damage 4,4,2,0. Even though the pack rat's power and toughness will change after damage, all damage is assigned and then dealt simultaneously. So when assigning damage all 4 pack rats would still be 4/4. You must always assign at least lethal damage to a blocker before assigning damage to the next blocker.

Assuming the pack rats don't have first strike, the first two would die after first strike damage, the third would die immediately after those two then during normal damage the remaining pack rat would deal 1 damage to your boggle as a (1/1).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nothing good in my sealed pool. Oh, and 5 minutes after the event started I had to drop because my wife's stupid asshole dog dug a hole through the fence and I have to drive all the way home and get him from some person's house.

Any non-US peeps use TCGPlayer and try to use a non-US credit card but ship to the US?

It says that it wants the countries of the Billing and Shipping addresses to match. I understand this is reasonable, but I just placed an order with StarCityGames and they had a mild issue, but it didn't stop me from, at least, placing the order. I e-mailed TCGPlayer, but they haven't responded, yet, and thought maybe one of you guys might have experience with the site.

I just don't know if it's site policy, vendor policy, or my credit card. Thoughts?

EDIT: I've used them many times shipping to Canada, but a friend has a place in the States and it's a lot cheaper :)

kirblar

Any non-US peeps use TCGPlayer and try to use a non-US credit card but ship to the US?

It says that it wants the countries of the Billing and Shipping addresses to match. I understand this is reasonable, but I just placed an order with StarCityGames and they had a mild issue, but it didn't stop me from, at least, placing the order. I e-mailed TCGPlayer, but they haven't responded, yet, and thought maybe one of you guys might have experience with the site.

I just don't know if it's site policy, vendor policy, or my credit card. Thoughts?
It's to keep foreigners from using US credit cards. It makes sense given their model. SCG can "sniff test" this stuff since it's all going through one company.

Anyone planning to be at GP Portland on the 8th/9th of August? I'm randomly going, but I'm from the east coast and my friend I'm riding with will be working there all day. It would be cool to meet up with someone on here.

It's to keep foreigners from using US credit cards. It makes sense given their model. SCG can "sniff test" this stuff since it's all going through one company.

Hmm, it's a Canadian card. Anyway, I think I can switch my CC address and have it work that way... Never done it, though. Thanks for letting me know! Considering just trying to order direct from the vendor, too... we'll see. These Tombs of Yawgmoth keep selling out before I can get my order through, bumming me out :p

Grakl

Got a pretty insane pool for sealed in MTGO, wish it happened in real life :(

Good news is that I opened a Nissa in (real life) draft tonight, was really cool. Lucario and I now have 6!

Had a sick day of Magic today:

Played a couple of rounds of EDH: I was on Melek, Izzet Paragon (a new deck I just built). One player was on a Selvala prison deck, and the others swapped around a bit. I managed to combo off for the win in both games; once with a Dragonstorm into Scourge of Valkas and Utvara Hellkite and some other sweet stuff, and once with infinite mana and infinite storm into an Ignite Memories. In both cases, I only got there because of other players at the table; game one a Norin player bled the entire table down to single digits, and in game two, the prison deck played a City of Solitude when meant that the rest of the table just had to look at their counterspells and not cast them.

Then we busted open a box of Scars and did a draft. My deck wasn't all that great; a UB poison deck that could never quite make 10 poison (but got to 9 a few times). The winning deck had cracked a Koth and a Mox Opal, and we all got to get a little giddy about seeing a Mox Opal pulled from a pack.

Finally, we finished up with a cube draft from my peasant cube. It was the first time we'd gotten a reasonably sized group of players to draft the cube, and it was sweet. I played five-color wurms, with Enlisted Wurm, Pelakka Wurm, Roar of the Wurm, and other sweet stuff. One player had a grindy value deck with Blastoderm that cast and replayed the same Blastoderm three times across the game. There was a blue-red spells deck that was wrecking shop with Raid Bombardement backed up by Young Pyromancer tokens.

And then there was this deck, which stomped the draft:

Turn 2) Daring Skyjek
Turn 3) Lingering Souls
Turn 4) Battle Screech + Flashback
Turn 5) Maw of the Obzedat - you are dead.

Sweet stuff. One of those days that reminds just how much fun Magic can be.

So...

I am sitting in front of the contents of a M15 fat pack and a M15 deck builder toolkit. I haven't seriously played since Zendikar.

I opened the entire fat pack and it was only in the solo M15 booster in the toolkit that I got a mythic - Nissa Worldwaker.

What do I build.
Other than a house of cards out of all these land cards

Less than an hour until the Magic panel starts, so last minute predictions for Khans of Tarkir?

My guesses:
1. Return of orcs and dwarves.
2. While it's obvious that there is going to be a token army theme, my guess is that this will be the set to bring back / introduce delve. There are going to be a lot of instants and sorceries to summon tokens and buff creatures, so a lot of stuff will be going to the graveyard without actually making this a graveyard-focused block. The spells provide fuel for delve and there will be little other "graveyard matters" stuff fighting with it; they wanted to include delve in Innistrad, but dropped it for that reason.
3. This will not be a wedge block, at least not any more than Theros was a dual color block.

kirblar

I think it'll be a wedge block, but the middle set will transition into a third set that isn't one. Or we have two mini-blocks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nah I don't think its the wedge block. The art piece we saw pushed a very clear style that I'm betting drives the entire block, and with both Alara and Ravnica they've shown that when they want to do multicolor factions they want them to have strong visual identities.

Plus its only been two years since RTR

I think it'll be a wedge block, but the middle set will transition into a third set that isn't one. Or we have two mini-blocks.

I don't know, in this article, Mark specifically talked about how it was a mistake to do a multicolor block (Shards of Alara) only three years after the previous one (Ravnica).

So how did our three-year return go? Not great. It turns out we were right about four years being the lower cap. We can go more than four years but Shards of Alara taught us we shouldn't go less. To make matters worse, I didn't think of hybrid as being multicolor. In my mind, at the time, it was this thing that wasn't gold cards, but I just missed that its multicolor nature would make the short turnaround feel even tighter. When people wrote me letters about how great it was that Zendikar didn't have much multicolor in it I knew for sure we had overstepped.

Now there is that caveat that Shadowmoor's hybrid theme increased the problem players had, but I can't imagine they'd decide to lower the number of years between multicolor blocks even more (to two years).

Angry Grimace

They will spoil a few cards right?

I'm in the panel which starts very soon. Maro is standing around outside waiting for it to start so I guess I could ask (he wouldn't tell me). Too bad I didn't bring a copy of Hornet Sting for him to sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom