• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zurgo is, obviously mythic.

Picture of the last khan punching a bear.

Crocodile

So Abzan (White/Black/Green), Jeskai (Blue/Red/White), Sultai (Black/Green/Blue), Mardu (Red/White/Black), & Temur (Green/Blue/Red)?

Junk > Abzan but I suppose I'll get used to the rest?

That probably makes sense given that the main problem with Alara was how stretched the three color design space felt by the end of it

Since they can't front load the first set with infinite good cards the wedges are going to be short changed relative to the shards in terms of # of good cards no?

Well I definitely didn't expect an "a wedge" block.
EDIT: Wait, I misunderstood. So only the first set is wedge? That's really odd; like I said, it's weird that they'd blow their load on wedges for only one set.

Also, djinn, efreets, and apparently tengus? Awesome.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Since they can't front load the first set with infinite good cards the wedges are going to be short changed relative to the shards in terms of # of good cards no?
Sure, but I'll take a decrease in the number of good wedge cards if it means we also don't have the seriously underwhelming multicolor cards of Alara Reborn and to some extent Conflux

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Changing seeded boosters to have 40 prerelease cards in the pool instead of 5.

kirblar

Sure, but I'll take a decrease in the number of good wedge cards if it means we also don't have the seriously underwhelming multicolor cards of Alara Reborn and to some extent Conflux
The real stinker was Shards itself.

The second set will still be partially wedge, by its nature.

Oh, SICK. Since there were 8 rares possible out of a pre-seeded booster, this now means your seeded rare is a promo now, no specific promo per color.

Lucario

"(Alison) FORTY POSSIBLE PRERELEASE CARDS AT THE KHANS PRERELEASE. #MTGSDCC"

no, pls stop doing this wizards

edit: still an improvement though, since at least they're moving away from 'everyone rush to pick the best promo'.

The Technomancer

The real stinker was Shards itself.

The second set will still be partially wedge, by its nature.

Mehhhhh Alara Reborn is still probably my least favorite set from the last decade. Just so much literal chaffe. So many designs that felt monocolor but had to be stretched to multicolor so no-one plays them

Like, if with this model the third set of Khans is free of
Image.ashx

and

Image.ashx

I'm happy

kirblar

Shards has soooooooo many unbelievably shitty unplayable commons combined with OP ones and with a bunch of rares/mythics/mechanics no one gives a shit about. Conflux was much better.

Crocodile

Morph is coming back.

penny-dance-party.gif

Mehhhhh Alara Reborn is still probably my least favorite set from the last decade. Just so much literal chaffe. So many designs that felt monocolor but had to be stretched to multicolor so no-one plays them

Like, if with this model the third set of Khans is free of
Image.ashx

and

Image.ashx

I'm happy

The blades were pretty good design I felt. 1st ever mix of hybrid & multicolor and pushed the block theme. Sojourners were pretty whatever though.

kirblar

Morph is going to be the mechanic that binds the block with Zendikar II.

Also provides color fixing in a gold block, which is smart.

Both wedges and morph are massive middle fingers to Mono-Devotion, thankfully.

The Technomancer

Shards has soooooooo many unbelievably shitty unplayable commons combined with OP ones and with a bunch of rares/mythics/mechanics no one gives a shit about. Conflux was much better.

From a power perspective maybe, its just that Alara Reborn has so many boring ass designs. Especially on three color cards. It was the set that convinced me that its really tricky to design three color cards that feel meaningfully tri-color. A lot of its cards feel like they could be mono-color, that's the biggest strike for me

f0rk

The new prerelease packs seem to be worse for new/casual players (who are apparently the people that want them), what happens when they open one of the few unplayable options? They feel entitled to a rare in their chosen colour, randomly getting a bad one will sting when the guy sitting next to them gets something great.

Bakphoon

The new prerelease packs seem to be worse for new/casual players (who are apparently the people that want them), what happens when they open one of the few unplayable options? They feel entitled to a rare in their chosen colour, randomly getting a bad one will sting when the guy sitting next to them gets something great.

Maybe we will get another Promo after the Prerelease just like a few years ago.

New card that wasn't posted here:
ghoulcallergisa.jpg

Nice to see that Gisa (and I imagine Geralf) are getting their own cards.

It's neat to see Tefari get his own planeswalker card. It's weak that his +1 is almost the same as the new Jace's (except better) in terms of originality, but that ultimate is awesome.

Odd that the card for Cunning (in Speed vs. Cunning) is Arcanis; aren't the front cards usually cards that one would see in Standard?

I'm willing to eat crow about Khans being a wedge block (well, set); hopefully the reasoning will be explained soon.

kirblar

They now view gold as a "evergreen thing" that can be used whenever. Theros had a gold subtheme, but Zendikar II is likely to be Mono/Colorless-themed

bigkrev

Also wondering if Teferi is a one of, or every color is getting a classic Planeswalker card. I'm leaning towards one-of, because they would probably do Urza if they were doing a cycle, and Urza is obviously Blue.

An-Det

So many cool things for the new block, I like it.

Talking about Khans now. Time travel block.

Oh weird. Explains Teferi though, since I thought that he was killed in the Time Spiral block.

The Jeskai Way...

... What a strange name for a clan.

And now we have to refer to UWR as Jeskai instead of 'Murica.

Since Morph is back and time travel is a thing in the block, I wonder if Jeskai isn't named after Jeska (Kimahl's sister) somehow.

I just finished designing a set for my own use that has Morph as a major theme with a wedge subtheme. Funny that. Wonder how many slots in my set I'll have to blow up.

I suppose I'll do the roundup post for lazy people.

First of all, MaRo's sum-up:
Khans of Tarkir
- Wedges! Tarkir is Bizarralara!
- Morph returns!
- Large/small/large where the small set is drafted with both large sets
- The block is a time travel story
- Khans of Tarkir is a wedge set but it is not a wedge block as the story is about change
- The five clans are based off of aspects of dragons: endurance, cunning, ruthlessness, speed and savagery (based around a single color in WUBRG order with one ally and one enemy)
- Each clan gets it’s own mechanic plus morph so there are six mechanics in Khans
- Each clan has a three-color leader (aka the khans) who were all introduced

Note that this means the "central color" of each clan isn't the shared enemy color.

The wedges are:

Abzan (The Abzan Houses)
WBG (black and enemies)
Dragon aspect: Endurance
BtfmO23CIAE-zx2.jpg

Jeskai (The Jeskai Way)
URW (red and enemies)
Dragon aspect: Cunning
BtfmzNZCUAA5CaE.jpg

Sultai (The Sultai Brood)
BGU (green and enemies)
Dragon aspect: Ruthlessness
BtfnMMUCIAEdQlA.jpg

Mardu (The Mardu Horde)
RWB (white and enemies)
Dragon aspect: Speed
Btfn3CyCIAAyFtW.jpg

Temur (The Temur Frontier)
GUR (blue and enemies)
Dragon aspect: Savagery
Couldn't quickly find a good picture like the others, so have these two:
BtfuB-WCEAASIrQ.jpg

BtfojWFCUAA19aS.jpg

EDIT:

Oh weird. Explains Teferi though, since I thought that he was killed in the Time Spiral block.
Teferi's card is from the new Commander decks, not Khans, so the time travel is irrelevant in this case. I believe he is supposed to be alive regardless, though.

Anyway, Jeskai definitely looks the coolest out of the clans so far, mainly due to djinns, efreets, and tengus.

The Technomancer

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";122784616]Your Saturday-morning cartoon knock-offs will by torn asunder by the ruthlessness of the Sultai.[/QUOTE]

The Jeskai have the coolest visual direction so far, but I really hope the Temur are awesome as well. That's the color combination I care the most about

As an aside, does anyone else have the issue of embedded twitter images never showing up in Chrome?

OnPoint

These clan names are awful. They don't roll off the tongue at all. Ah well, I guess we'll get used to them, or keep using BUG, RUG, Junk, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom